Figo Squeak from rear right Nailed
Nice detective work!
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 01:10   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Me, the other way around.

Having ABS need not increase the stopping distance always, but should not be expected to shorten the braking distance also.

But it gives you steering control while braking hard which can be a life saver!
I'm also with Rajesh on this one - The major reason why I chose the Titanium over the ZXi was the ABS system. If Zxi had that feature and only lacked airbags, the decision would probably have gone in favour of the Zxi.

I think the bigger drum/disc size on the Titanium will in all likelyhood compensate for the slightly higher stopping distance (if any. I'm not very convinced about the argument of the stopping distance being higher on ABS vehicles because I'd expect a properly tuned ABS to stop the car in the minimum possible distance without wheel lockup. If your wheels do lock up during braking, then the car slides and it is debatable whether it will really come to a complete stop in a shorter distance or not - but what is certain is that you would lose control over the car which at most times can be far more dangerous.)
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 09:53   #573
Senior - BHPian

Agree that ABS is good for sure. I think its just a mental block with me since i have seen many who drive rashly just because they have a car with ABS and think that whatever happens they would be in control. One of my friends crashed his Civic since his ABS kept working for ever. He said he was sure he could stop if it was not for the ABS thingy. Maybe its these things in my mind that makes me think if we really need ABS on kerala roads where you really dont have a proper highway.

Actually I never thought of the fact that the bigger drum/disk could compensate for the extra stopping distance with ABS at work. That sounds an interesting proposition, but again as i said we have to be brave enough to "kill" that human instinct to be carefree - thinking that the ABS would do all the work for you
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 19:25   #574
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
but again as i said we have to be brave enough to "kill" that human instinct to be carefree - thinking that the ABS would do all the work for you
No electronic / divine aid is enough to save you on our roads in case of a serious mishap which can happen anytime in our driving environments.

I have not changed my driving style just because the cars have ABS / airbags. I would never want to test the latter, but I am a little happy that the former is there in case of an emergency stop where I don't have to worry about the wheels getting locked (of course if they work properly)!

Twice in the recent past I have been forced to come to a halt due to the 'important' travel of the high ranking police officers of our state. The first time I had to jam the brakes to stop hitting the back of a LCV and I am still not sure whether it was the ABS which helped or the goddess whom we were visiting!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 14:46   #575
BHPian

A internal Ford magazine was asking factory guys about their favorite things in a Ford. A Thailand employee mentioned that ABS were his favorite because they were the least likely item to fail.

But no idea if all the ABS kits are made the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I have not changed my driving style just because the cars have ABS / airbags. I would never want to test the latter, but I am a little happy that the former is there in case of an emergency stop where I don't have to worry about the wheels getting locked (of course if they work properly)!
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 21:04   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Picture 1 shows you where you should be looking. In Picture 2 the small arrow shows you the brake fluid pipe and the longer arrow shows where you should be looking. Picture 3 is the rubber clamp that holds the tube in place. I pulled it out, greased it and put her back.

Thanks to a Housewife, a Marketing Manager and a Financial Advisor who sat behind trying to get a clue. A much bigger one to the IT guy from chennai who travelled with his head out of an open door and an Architect who wriggled himself on the floor with the seats folded up.

Happy Motoring.
Great find
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 09:34   #577
BHPian

Quote:
That is indeed an excellent find. I have got irritated now of this squeak coming from both sides in the rear and I have to keep a relatively high ICE volume to negate that noise.

I am going to the service station tomorrow and will inform the SA about this. I hope it is gone forever.

Will update on this soon.
witwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 15:21   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks gemi - tussi great. And also thanks to the Housewife, the Marketing Manager, the Financial Advisor, the IT guy and the Architect who wriggled himself on the floor with the seats folded up.

Finally got rid of the irritating squeak. Interesting part was the service guy would just not agree to do what you indicated. They first re-adjsted the rear seats - squeak still there. They then changed the rear right shock - squeak still there loud and clear. Finally they tried your solution and bingo - no squeak. So what was initially "sir, aapko kya pata" was in the end "boss, ye solution dhoondna bahut mushkil tha". Long live team bhp.
chaudhrysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:40   #579
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Guess What. Your wish has just been Granted!!!

(Have tried to include details of all who have reported City/Highway Figures. Sorry if i have left out anyone. Others please post/PM your highway/city F.E figures so that we could update this.)

Here are the Highway/City Mileage Figures of Figo owners on Team-BHP.
Hi Gemi,

I guess now that most of the initial Figo owners would have passed thro the first service, can we have an updated FE tracker for Figo.
As I have noticed many of them reporting FE aound 15 kmpl on average, have a feeling this figure is gonna improve.
Whats your opinion?
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 16:51   #580
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi Gemi,

I guess now that most of the initial Figo owners would have passed thro the first service, can we have an updated FE tracker for Figo.
As I have noticed many of them reporting FE aound 15 kmpl on average, have a feeling this figure is gonna improve.
Whats your opinion?
Can we also have the DTE figures please, on a full tank?
Indizen010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 13:38   #581
Senior - BHPian

Default 4444 km Update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post
I am going to the service station tomorrow and will inform the SA about this. I hope it is gone forever. Will update on this soon.
Thanks witwiky, do update us on if it was the same thing once solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Thanks gemi - tussi great. And also thanks to the Housewife, the Marketing Manager, the Financial Advisor, the IT guy and the Architect who wriggled himself on the floor with the seats folded up.

Finally got rid of the irritating squeak. Interesting part was the service guy would just not agree to do what you indicated. They first re-adjsted the rear seats - squeak still there. They then changed the rear right shock - squeak still there loud and clear. Finally they tried your solution and bingo - no squeak. So what was initially "sir, aapko kya pata" was in the end "boss, ye solution dhoondna bahut mushkil tha". Long live team bhp.
Thanks chaudhrysan. Infact that was the very reason that i did not go to the service centre to get this squeak thing solved. I knew that the first thing they would do is fiddle with the suspension and probably remove the plastic on the C pillar and surely create newer issues in the process. However its funny that they didnt try out the simple thing first even after you told them so. Really dont know when these people will learn. They are so very much in the "remove-throw-replace" business that they dont really think properly!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hi Gemi,

Whats your opinion?
Well no one has reported anything far better. I am keeping a track of things when ever i notice a better/worse mileage figure. Please also see the compilation of Fiesta TDCi owners on the Figo Test Drive Thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1945563

Long term owners are also reporting figures around 13 in city and 20 on highways. So i guess Figo owners are also extracting what the engine is capable of. Anyone reporting higher figures must surely be driving in lesser congested traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Can we also have the DTE figures please, on a full tank?
I think i've seen ranges from 550 to 660 on different occasions depending on the driving conditions of the previous tank fill.

4444 km Update

Name:  DSC04115 Small.JPG
Views: 1194
Size:  30.6 KB
  • The engine is much more smooth now. The engine sound when hot is minimal inside the cabin. But outside it still makes its presence felt.
  • Once the engine has achieved optimum temperature turn off the a/c and drive her. You'll be amazed to see how smooth she is. Within city she drives just like a petrol engine. With the a/c turned on you would need to shift to first once you are below 10km/hr.
  • F.E remains almost same 12-13 in city and around 18 on kerala highways. So i guess above 20 figures are easily possible if you get some good roads with less traffic.
  • Once after a rainy drive i had fog inside both the headlight assemblies towards the top end. They disappeared the next morning.
  • The Plastics on the door are very prone to scratches. My 8 month old son is not helping me either.
  • The material used on the roof lining is not at all user friendly. It stands out like cotton. You cant really clean it once dirty.
  • I like the way the wiper hides way below your line of sight when turned off.
  • There is a slight vibration from the rear left speaker when it takes bass. I guess i'll have to live with it.
  • I really miss the rear wiper/defogger. With the slightest hint of rain the a/c starts fogging the rear glass leaving me clueless of what is happening behind.
  • I also miss the boot lamp and the lights for the rear seats. They are so useful at night.
  • I guess ford could easily give those follow me home headlights (like on our fusion). It feels so good.
  • I would also have loved if the fuel cover did not have that thingy to put your fingers in between and pull. Its very inviting for kids and even the fuel attendant pulls at it atleast once before i open the thing.
  • I have a feeling that quite a lot of small dust particles are flying around inside the car. Is it just a feeling or have they saved money on those filters for the a/c.?
  • On highways at higher speeds you really need to work hard to convince yourself that you are driving a small hatch.
  • Ground clearance is really a problem with lower tyre pressure. I now use around 30 psi and its way much better unless you miss spotting a bump.
  • The front mudflaps with around 1-1.5 inches cut off from the bottom is holding on tight till now.
  • I really miss those fog lamps but the quote of Rs.5300/- and the fact that they wil remove the bumper is keeping me away. Still!!
  • I also want those chrome strips for the front. Here too the quote of Rs.1300 for something with a Rs.425 in the ford price list is keeping me away.
  • The boot is real spacious. You'll surely be surprised with the amount of luggage it takes in without complaint.
  • After getting away with the irritating squeak. I just realised how silent the cabin is.

EDIT: I finally wrote a farewell note for my Adventure 1.6.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1944329

Last edited by gemithomas : 21st June 2010 at 13:55.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:43   #582
BHPian

Hi Gemi,

I would like to ask you about the rear bench comfort if you have any details about this. We are considering this car in the near future and did a test drive last week. However father was saying that the rear seat back rest was not tall enough to achieve a comfortable position and that too the affixed head rest is just namesake and reaches only till the neck (safety hazard as well??). I failed to notice all these stuffs since I was only concentrating on the driver's seat and how I would fit in there

While at it, another thing that confused me is the design of the driver's seat head rest, I found the forward incline too much and felt very weird and uncomfortable leaning back against it. Could you tell me if you face the same issue. I was honestly thinking how on earth could a seat be designed in such a manner. Will a small neck-reat pillow solve the issue.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:16   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Gemi,

I would like to ask you about the rear bench comfort if you have any details about this. We are considering this car in the near future and did a test drive last week. However father was saying that the rear seat back rest was not tall enough to achieve a comfortable position and that too the affixed head rest is just namesake and reaches only till the neck (safety hazard as well??). I failed to notice all these stuffs since I was only concentrating on the driver's seat and how I would fit in there

While at it, another thing that confused me is the design of the driver's seat head rest, I found the forward incline too much and felt very weird and uncomfortable leaning back against it. Could you tell me if you face the same issue. I was honestly thinking how on earth could a seat be designed in such a manner. Will a small neck-reat pillow solve the issue.
I agree with your observations 100%. the seats are not comfortable at all, and quickly lead to back pain. This was a factor I consciously compromised on, for the car's virtues in other areas. Seat height adjust overcomes the problem somewhat, because you can keep changing the position to avoi back pain.but the car is not very good on seat comfort, I felt that th co passenger seat on front is the worst.

Vista rules here, Swift is good too.

But Figo rules in dynamics :-)
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:28   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Gemi,

Yes the rear headrests are not as high as one would really want it to be but personally i really liked the seating posture. It does not feel like a small car with the leg room available and the nice incline it has got (still not as perfect as the U-va rear seats ). The front headrests look a bit too inclined but personally i have not been disturbed by this. But some have complained about this causing neck pain. Maybe its my driving posture that does not make me feel this. I suggest you take another drive and check out if its disturbing you in your normal driving posture.

Hope it helps. Do update on your decision. All the best for your Car Hunt
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:18   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks witwiky, do update us on if it was the same thing once solved.
Yes, I went to Planet Ford on Saturday and checked whether they grease the pipe before delivery and to my amazement, they dont grease any part before delivery. The SA said, greasing is done only when a customer complaints about any noise/ creaks like I did. But he knew where the problem was.

The noise is gone now. They sprayed a 3M lubricant on it. Check attached image which is below the Rear - Left and Right seats.
Attached Images

witwiky is offline   Reply With Quote