Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th June 2011, 00:11   #901
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "1 year and 32000 km"

While I do not support extreme reactions of any kind, one has to agree that Gemi (or anybody else) has the liberty to recommend the car to other people despite its niggles. What is worth appreciating is the fact that he has reported the niggles factually.

It is now up to the other people to read the ownership report comprehensively and consider his recommendations keeping in view the niggles also reported.

We expect the reader's to separate the grain from the chaff. There may be examples on this forum where people recommend a certain vehicle after going through various issues with it. There may be those for whom even a single problem makes a car a lemon. (both extreme cases, but I hope you get the drift!)
architect is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 02:27   #902
BHPian

Default re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "1 year and 32000 km"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Dear Gemi,

While I too have been a silent reader of your thread from long, I have lost my patience today.

Not just you but several other BHPians here own a Figo and are merrily comparing it with cars of all makes and sizes, especially Fiats.

What leaves me shocked to no end is the fact that while every Figo owner is being troubled with some problem or the other by their oh-so-lovely Figo, none of them is advicing not to go for it. Does Ford use any additives in the car perfume that mesmerises the owner, that despite of niggles he wouldn't utter anything wrong about the car?

Yes, you guys own this car and no one can know it better than you yourselves. But is it not wrong on your part as these posts are also read by people who rely on your advice to buy a truly reliable, niggle-free, amazing piece of automobile and they can be influenced - negatively - by such posts.

P.S. - Similar niggles in Tata is seen as lack of quality and overlooking niggles in a Fiat is considered Fanboy-ism, while the Figo 'is a good all-rounder'.

No Offence Meant.
Hi Sankalp,

Since you have mentioned that you have been a silent reader of this thread, I guess you would agree with me when I say this is one of the most detailed and comprehensive ownership reports on a Figo. More than just blindly praising the car and it's abilities, each and every minute detail of the car has been touched upon including the hidden features, the various niggles, the DIYs to solve some of them, the best driving techniques, the handling prowess of the car, the irritants, the low GC, the service costs, the inadequate headlights, upgrade options for the same, etc, and many more PLUS comparisons of the Figo with other cars of the same/different segment. The other active Figo owners have contributed to all this as well apart from Gemi who has done a commendable job himself. The reason why the comparison with Fiat has cropped up multiple times is since Gemi just moved out from his Fiat to the Figo, hence it's inevitable, plus this is his ownership report which demands honest opinion of such transitions and the experiences associated with it.

If you go through the official Figo thread, more often than not, the niggling issues would be the main topic of discussion along with servicing queries and associated clarifications. In between such a discussion, there is no need to outright dismiss a car, isn't it? Your statements itself contradicts at various parts. First you said there are niggles being faced by every owner. Later you said no owner is speaking against the car. I would call that a clear representation of a contradiction. Just search for "Figo TDCi: car dies" thread. It's a thread started by me to discuss about a major issue that has been plaguing many Figos. While being open to discussions and sharing honest reviews/comparisons, I believe as BHPians, we should also be mature enough NOT to dismiss a car based on small niggles but to point out the cons and weigh it alongside the pros of the car. And THAT is where the Figo comes out as a winner in most cases.

Lastly about suggesting Figo to others. I haven't come across any posts where the owners have blindly recommended the seeker to go for a Figo. I for once would never do that. The reason is simply because the hatch market is so open right now that you have a multitude of options to choose from. But, there is a big BUT, in my opinion, there is still no single choice available which one can choose eyes closed. Each and every car has it's positives and negatives. And the reason why Figo comes up as a final recommendation in most cases is because of it's acceptable all-in-one package.
You demand for a driver's car, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand for a diesel hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand a spacious hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand a spacious boot for your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand more creature comfort in your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand diesel economy in your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand modern features in your car, Figo is in your shortlist
Finally you demand VFM, Figo is in your shortlist

So is Figo the best in any of the above criteria? Probably NOT, but is there any car that ticks all the above criteria as good as the Figo? NO! I would say. So it's not in good taste if someone shouts bad about such a car for the small niggles that crop up. All the other cars that the Figo is pitted against have similar if not more of these issues, so it's for the reader to make an informed decision based on owners' opinion and a test drive.

Quote:
people who rely on your advice to buy a truly reliable, niggle-free, amazing piece of automobile and they can be influenced - negatively - by such posts
In the current line up of possible options in the segment, can you come up with a single car that can match that description? I bet you can't, because there isn't any such car, as simple as that.

Just wanted to emphasize again that it's not like Ford is paying anyone here to praise the Figo day in and day out. If you actually observe keenly, a lot of issues are being discussed related to the car and bad experiences related to servicing expenses, quality lapses, dealership attitude etc are being shared extensively. And all that does not mean anyone needs to act immature and dismiss the car as a whole. It's up to the informed customer to take a decision based on his needs and areas of compromise.

Last edited by jayded : 8th June 2011 at 02:34.
jayded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 09:10   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Sankalp,

The reason why the comparison with Fiat has cropped up multiple times is since Gemi just moved out from his Fiat to the Figo, hence it's inevitable, plus this is his ownership report which demands honest opinion of such transitions and the experiences associated with it.

In the current line up of possible options in the segment, can you come up with a single car that can match that description? I bet you can't, because there isn't any such car, as simple as that.

Just wanted to emphasize again that it's not like Ford is paying anyone here to praise the Figo day in and day out. If you actually observe keenly, a lot of issues are being discussed related to the car and bad experiences related to servicing expenses, quality lapses, dealership attitude etc are being shared extensively. And all that does not mean anyone needs to act immature and dismiss the car as a whole. It's up to the informed customer to take a decision based on his needs and areas of compromise.

Gemi transitioned from a Fiat to a Ford Whereas I bought a Ford and a Fiat together. I have till date carried out 35K worth of repairs on the Fiat (yes all of it was covered under warranty because the manufacturer agreed).
On the same note I have had replacements on the Ford as well but there were smaller in comparison (total worth 10K; done mainly for noise reduction and rattles)
If I were to look at the last 10months that I have owned both the cars, I had more availability on the Figo than on the Fiat(mostly because the warranty parts on the fiat was almost always delayed). I might never recommend a fiat unless the guy is really mad about it and do not mind the frequent visits to the service center.

Now is ford paying me to tell this ?
YES! Ford is paying me by giving me a reliable and efficient point a to point B transportation with as little fuss as possible.

Fiat has its characteristics like feeling tough, road presence, driving dynamics which ford can only emulate to a level (better than Maruti's). There is a certain level of comfort in fiat not available on the Ford.
But the issues with take away the points gained in this regard.

If you do not have the car for almost a month because
  • parts are slow in reaching a service station.
  • Parts that was ordered did not match with the ones that came and had to be re ordered.
it is a sinister crime committed to the owner of the car.
Had experienced this twice in last 10months that i have owned Fiat and never with Ford.

Does that make me a fan boy ? But these are facts!!!

Obviously I would recommend a Ford if it suits the guy's demands from a car. Again I would say to that person " Go take a test drive of all the shortlisted cars before you decide" After all you want to drive a car of your choice not mine" (same for choice of color for the cars also)
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:26   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sankalp,.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Gemi transitioned.....
Most fitting and spot on replies. And all in the positive side and not a word uttered even in the neighbourhood of arrogance or impertinence. I do sincerely hope that sankalp has got his answer to the problems niggling him.

As brought out by jayded and figo_mba, The discussions in this thread, i believe, have all been open hearted and have never been biased.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 22:20   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Gemi,

While I too have been a silent reader of your thread from long, I have lost my patience today.

P.S. - Similar niggles in Tata is seen as lack of quality and overlooking niggles in a Fiat is considered Fanboy-ism, while the Figo 'is a good all-rounder'.

No Offence Meant.
HI Sankalp,

I really do understand what you are trying to say. While i am not sure if i would be able to answer your question to your full satisfaction, i would give it a try.

If you are aware of the services marketing domain you would know that Price, Brand Image, and Customer Service has got a real big share in determining the Customers Perception and in turn their Satisfaction Levels.

Now take the case of certain manufactures in the diesel hatch segment

Maruti : Over the past years Maruti, mostly with their small cars, have been able to build a reputation of being a manufacturer of Fuel Efficient, Low Maintenance, Easy on Pocket Brand. They have built a service network that no other brand has been able to match till date and this has added value to the perception of better customer care. Most Maruti customers look at the practicality angle and are not very much worried about the feature lists or the feel of plastics and this is evident from the sales figures of their diesels. If you think that Maruti cars do not have problems you are thoroughly mistaken. Its just that the problems are handled quite successfully and fast (except maybe the rattles).

FIAT : I'll have to start where in ended with Maruti when i talk about FIAT. These guys are the exact opposite and they take more than acceptable time to sort out even minor issues and they are most of the times unsuccessful in correcting these issue for good. It is this aspect that has tarnished the brand value and that is what reflects in the sales figures of their cars which are otherwise a gem to drive at the price range they are offered. If you closely study FIAT customers you would see that most of them look for perfection and would take the car to the A.S.S at the slightest hint of an extra sound coming from somewhere. And the funny part is the A.S.S messes up things successfully and the owner still manages to take the car back to them the next time he thinks something is not perfect. And this goes on until the owner gets fed up and makes a frantic sale at the least possible resale price. The bad experiences and words about this that spreads during these instances is what leads to so many people talking dead against FIAT while some owners do still love their cars for the comfort and confidence they experience.

TATA : TATA somehow has built an image of the common man's car. They give you more of everything at a very decent price. But the issue has been that the package of more includes the minor niggles. The recent Vista, Manza and Aria are different though. But the image of a common mans car with minor niggles have grown into the brand over the years. An thus every niggle is shouted out as lack of quality.

Ford : Ford has always been perceived as a driver friendly car which is not so easy to maintain. But the Figo successfully diluted the later part of this brand perception with its pricing strategy. Ford managed to shake up the market by providing practical features into the car and yet keeping the price at tab. The Figo thus was able to put a tick mark in almost all priority boxes of a customer. And when the customer saw that he is getting so much Value (in terms of features, performance, handling, driver friendliness, space etc.) for the Money he is paying the tide turned in favour of the brand. And that perception of getting much more value trickles down to an mindset that can accommodate a few squeaks or rattles or other issues as far as the a.s.s shows us that they are interested in trying to solve the issues. And that is the reason why most Figo owners still don't bitch about the car though they have minor niggles.

I really dont remember reading any post from figo owners on t-bhp who have blindly said that this is the only car worth buying in its segment. Atleast i have always said that the Figo is just a Practical VFM Car. And i have time and again re-iterated that its just a car and you wont fall in love with it like you would with a FIAT. I have extensively used only FIATs and Fords and have only short term experience with Maruti and TATA. More over this thread title itself talks about my transition from a FIAT to a Ford. So i guess its quite natural that i always compare my Ford Experience with my Fiat Experience

I do appreciate you posted your concerns. Hope i have been able to respond satisfactorily. If i have posted anything that could have mislead prospective buyers i do regret doing so.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
gemithomas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 03:28   #906
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Figo has all the expected features of a buyer and hence a strong point for its immense success. Definitely cost cutting has affected the quality the car, but Ford has started to respond positively.
Ford clearly know that it has to improve the service infrastructure rapidly to solve the issues. I think they have started doing that.

TATA somehow gained a name - cheaper car with cheap quality. As Gemi said, they have made better ones in Vistas, Arias but will take some time for them to speak about quality.
Ford had made better quality cars (even though the prices are high) and it carried the "quality" badge which pushed the sales of Figo at least to some extent. Even though Figo has problems, it was overlooked by this factor. When the problems are reported there is strong hope that it will be rectified soon by Ford and never behave like some manufacturers.

As said, all unbiased discussions help and benefits car lovers like us and other potential buyers.

Done 26k - you and figo_mba - Amazing.
In the SC here one SA said, there is one Figo owner in Chennai who has done 50k km in one year and the car is doing good.

Yes Gemi in plain roads and at constant speed especially at 80km the mileage is definitely 20kmpl with AC. I think you feel bit relaxed a bit in the mileage front.

Last edited by RGK : 12th June 2011 at 03:34.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 18:05   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

Done 26k - you and figo_mba - Amazing.
In the SC here one SA said, there is one Figo owner in Chennai who has done 50k km in one year and the car is doing good.

Yes Gemi in plain roads and at constant speed especially at 80km the mileage is definitely 20kmpl with AC. I think you feel bit relaxed a bit in the mileage front.
I know its a little late now but think since you congratulated me I should upload this pic(just a month old) and my car is 10months 'young'

I do not want to trumpet my mileage anymore I have mentioned it in a couple of places in tbhp.
Attached Thumbnails
Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-20110610-14.52.11.jpg  

figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 11:51   #908
BHPian

Quote:
You demand for a driver's car, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand for a diesel hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand a spacious hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand a spacious boot for your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand more creature comfort in your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand diesel economy in your hatch, Figo is in your shortlist
You demand modern features in your car, Figo is in your shortlist
Finally you demand VFM, Figo is in your shortlist
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I bought a Ford and a Fiat together. I have till date carried out 35K worth of repairs on the Fiat (yes all of it was covered under warranty because the manufacturer agreed).
On the same note I have had replacements on the Ford as well but there were smaller in comparison (total worth 10K; done mainly for noise reduction and rattles)
If I were to look at the last 10months that I have owned both the cars, I had more availability on the Figo than on the Fiat(mostly because the warranty parts on the fiat was almost always delayed). I might never recommend a fiat unless the guy is really mad about it and do not mind the frequent visits to the service center.
Thanks @jayded and @figo_mba, your analysis did make sense. Please read my post below.

Hi Gemi,

Good to read your reply. I really appreciate you and other members on this thread taking time to put forth the logic behind your opinions.

I do understand the battle one goes through inside his mind while selecting a car as I am a prospective car buyer and am looking for a hatch that would meet my requirements. While this decision is generaly derived based on more important factors like budget, comfort and after sales support of the manufacturer, more often than not, it gets swayed by other factors like looks, performance and features. Who better to know this than me who has Test Driven a slew of cars ranging from segment A entry level hatches to segment C sedans.

My intention was never to doubt your unbiased review or for that matter anybody else who owns this fantastic piece of American engineering created to suit Indian condition like hand-in-a-glove. Heck, I don't even have an ownership experience for a car as until now I have never owned a car and this would be my first car. But I do have ample experience driving cars - of all shapes and sizes - and hence my questions with regards to the niggles.

I am an ardent follower of your thread because you have moved from a Fiat to a Ford - two companies that are alluring me with their products right now. No points in guessing the cars - Punto and Figo. I do understand the comparison you posted between Maruti, Ford and Fiat and here's what I agree to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
If you are aware of the services marketing domain you would know that Price, Brand Image, and Customer Service has got a real big share in determining the Customers Perception and in turn their Satisfaction Levels.

Maruti : If you think that Maruti cars do not have problems you are thoroughly mistaken. Its just that the problems are handled quite successfully and fast (except maybe the rattles).

FIAT : If you closely study FIAT customers you would see that most of them look for perfection and would take the car to the A.S.S at the slightest hint of an extra sound coming from somewhere.

Ford : Ford has always been perceived as a driver friendly car which is not so easy to maintain. But the Figo successfully diluted the later part of this brand perception with its pricing strategy. And that perception of getting much more value trickles down to a mindset that can accommodate a few squeaks or rattles or other issues as far as the a.s.s shows us that they are interested in trying to solve the issues. And that is the reason why most Figo owners still don't bitch about the car though they have minor niggles.
I checked out the new Ritz Dazzle and it failed miserably to dazzle me. I personally do not mind the styling on Ritz, but the price one pays for it seems like Maruti is doing a huge favour by providing those equipment which is very much standard in a top-end diesel on other hatch-backs.

Figo is no doubt the most practical option of the lot, but lack of features drives me away. At a point I was ready to overlook the lack of features that are high priority for me - rear power windows, rear seat headrests, etc. and go ahead with it but the niggles (I hope I am allowed to say this word on this thread) popping up from most Figos set me thinking.

Punto is something that makes you think from your heart and not from the head. I loved the line you wrote about Fiat customers looking for perfection. That is exactly what was on my mind when I set out looking for a car - a car that will run for years and has all the features one can ask for in a car. Period.

Who better to ask than a person who in the past owned a Fiat, booked a Chevy (which I would have booked had it been available in diesel) and bought a Ford instead.

I believe information/knowledge cannot be acquired simply by reading stuff; you need to ask questions. And that's what I did! Team-BHP allows its members to enquire or dig deep into something than just accept it on face value. I am sorry if I hurt any sentiments.

I am sure this information would help me and several others reading this thread to understand the merits and demerits of every manufacturer and their products.

Quote:
Just search for "Figo TDCi: car dies" thread. It's a thread started by me to discuss about a major issue that has been plaguing many Figos. While being open to discussions and sharing honest reviews/comparisons, I believe as BHPians, we should also be mature enough NOT to dismiss a car based on small niggles but to point out the cons and weigh it alongside the pros of the car. And THAT is where the Figo comes out as a winner in most cases.
I have gone through the thread and this is making me overly cautious and rational in my search. No car is perfect, just like a human being. They all fall sick. Its the availability of proper automotive care from their family doctors' (mechanics) is what keeps them running.

Lastly, the past weekend I had my first T-BHP meet and I met fellow BHPian @anilisanil. I'm not sure whether I would be able to meet you guys anytime soon but I wish you all a wonderful time with your Little Wonder - The Figo.

P.S. If all goes well, you guys would get to read my own review of my first car, soon.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 13th June 2011 at 12:06.
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 12:13   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @jayded and @figo_mba, your analysis did make sense. Please read my post below.

Lastly, the past weekend I had my first T-BHP meet and I met fellow BHPian @anilisanil. I'm not sure whether I would be able to meet you guys anytime soon but I wish you all a wonderful time with your Little Wonder - The Figo.

P.S. If all goes well, you guys would get to read my own review of my first car, soon.
good to read through your mind mate and it was great meeting you.

And apologies for my ultra satirical response, you just caught me in a bad mood.

All the best for your purchase, I gather you finalised on Punto 90HP, do keep us posted!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 13:08   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Gemi,

I believe information/knowledge cannot be acquired simply by reading stuff; you need to ask questions. And that's what I did! Team-BHP allows its members to enquire or dig deep into something than just accept it on face value. I am sorry if I hurt any sentiments.

I fully agree that you need to put out any of your doubts here. I dont think this would hurt anyones sentiments.

All the best with your purchase. Would surely look forward for your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
All the best for your purchase, I gather you finalised on Punto 90HP, do keep us posted!
WoW! The 90HP punto should be one heck of a car. I dont have first hand experience with it but knowing FIAT i'm sure it's the only car at the price that would make you smile every time you drive her or look back at her at the parking lot. Congrats.

From my experience i have one thing to tell you. Please dont take her to the A.S.S for minor niggles and the car would run much better for longer. Wish you a happy ownership.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 18:02   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
good to read through your mind mate and it was great meeting you.

And apologies for my ultra satirical response, you just caught me in a bad mood.
No problems Anil. An ice-cream at the next T-BHP meet is all it takes to forget the past and move ahead.

Quote:
Congrats.

From my experience i have one thing to tell you. Please dont take her to the A.S.S for minor niggles and the car would run much better for longer. Wish you a happy ownership.
Thanks Gemi. Facing some issues with the bank right now. Hope it all gets cleared soon. *fingers-crossed*
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:52   #912
BHPian

Gemi, For a very long time, say 8 to 10 Months, I am following your thread silently as Guest. Your thread and GTO's thread has contributed to a greater extent in my Decision for Figo. I would like to express my gratitude towards that.

Your Signature indicates that you have bought mostly Fiats then Ford and a Maruti Zen. Usually most of the people have Marutis in First place. May I ask your perception about these three brands ? It is just for an academic Interest.

Thanks.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:23   #913
Senior - BHPian

Just logged in for a quick update after a long gap. The car is fast running towards the 30K mark. Having one of the worst two weeks in recent times.
  • Lost two tyres to a crack and a puncture vat the edge. Replaced all 4 with XM1+ at same size. Really wanted to get 185/65 tyres but it was unavailable at all places i checked.
  • The tyre shop managed to break 2 of the nuts that hold the rims to the wheel hub. Both were changed at the service centre. Luckily the bolts alone could be changed unlike our earlier FIAT's. (But then those nuts never broke!!
  • An idiotic man reversed his verna into my parked car peeling off some paint from my front bumper. Its funny it happened on the exact date 15th month after taking delivery.

@whitelion: will answer your query later. Need to go now. Cheers.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:34   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Gemi, For a very long time, say 8 to 10 Months, I am following your thread silently as Guest. Your thread and GTO's thread has contributed to a greater extent in my Decision for Figo. I would like to express my gratitude towards that.

Your Signature indicates that you have bought mostly Fiats then Ford and a Maruti Zen. Usually most of the people have Marutis in First place. May I ask your perception about these three brands ? It is just for an academic Interest.

Thanks.
Thanks a lot whitelion. Sorry for the very late reply.

I really dont know if i should elaborate on this on this thread. I think its really worth a new thread but then not many would appreciate / fully understand the contents since the majority would not have have enough experience on the various brands. Anyways i'll try to put it across in the simplest form.

Maruti, with their vast experience, knows exactly what the middle class families in India want. They need a very practical car that would carry an aura of "more" with the bare minimum of everything including niggles. Take any maruti car and compare it with other similar variants and you would understand what i am talking about. If you really understand what Value means, you would be thoroughly confused on how this Brand managed to get that Badge. A very sad reality with majority of the buyers is that they understand that a top end Swift diesel costs so much less than a top end Punto diesel but they dont really understand that the top end swift diesel is not really that much "top end".

Fiat makes excellent cars. Be is space, comfort, features, technology or driver friendliness, all their cars launched till date (except the 500) are worth atleast 2-4 lakhs more than what you pay for. But more of everything also means more niggles. Fiat A.S.S partners have till date not been fully capable is sorting out these niggles effectively and this coupled with the companies inability is managing spares properly leads to more unhappy customers too. Unfortunately Fiat has got much better revenue sources than 'selling cars'. And thats really sad for the Indian market.

Ford is just into changing its image from a premium (to buy and maintain) car to a common man's practical car. Their cars have always had a little bit of racing DNA in the way their suspensions are set and the overall driver orientation. The reason that the Figo is so successful is that they have managed to pack these positives into a VFM package. The pathetic feature list of the major diesel manufacturers in this segment makes the VFM thingy so much more predominant and that is the very reason that almost all Figo owners are quite happy with their cars though they are facing quite some niggles.

There is a lot pending from my end. There is a 30K service update of the Figo and more importantly a "500km with a Ritz DDIS" is coming up. So you guys watch this space for more. Will bring it up ASAP.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:38   #915
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot whitelion. Sorry for the very late reply.

I understand. Responsible persons cant give time as per their own will.

I really dont know if i should elaborate on this on this thread. I think its really worth a new thread but then not many would appreciate / fully understand the contents since the majority would not have have enough experience on the various brands. Anyways i'll try to put it across in the simplest form.
When there are lot of things to say this confusion is obvious, Since you have used three different brands first hand and posses analytical enthusiast's mind. More ever since you are also involved in buying cars for friends, relatives etc. etc. the boundaries of experience expand exponentially. So putting everything together will definitely call for a separate thread. It is really a nice idea, I appreciate it. It will definitely help prospective buyers on choosing which brand. Please think of putting it in reality when you find some free time.

Quote:

Maruti, with their vast experience, knows exactly what the middle class families in India want. They need a very practical car that would carry an aura of "more" with the bare minimum of everything including niggles. Take any maruti car and compare it with other similar variants and you would understand what i am talking about. If you really understand what Value means, you would be thoroughly confused on how this Brand managed to get that Badge. A very sad reality with majority of the buyers is that they understand that a top end Swift diesel costs so much less than a top end Punto diesel but they dont really understand that the top end swift diesel is not really that much "top end".
You are right on dot. Most of the buyers in India are ready to live with niggle like squeaks and rattles. Similarly for those people Steering Feed Back, precision, cornering capabilities, high speed stability, ride quality, even breaking distance, ABS, Air bags etc. etc. are not so Important. What they are interested is "Kitana Deti Hai ? " (recall the maruthi ad) and whether they can get it repaired outside or not. Maruthi has taken a smart step by Making spares available in open market and Opening up of private "Authorised Service Centers" apart from dealerships. There labour charges are less compared to Dealership Labour Charges, which gives buyer a feeling of not being locked in. I own M800 for last 17/18 years and except for First 2/3 services I have not visited dealership. This way owner gets feeling that its cheap to maintain. When car gets old and if owner wants to sell, due to availability of spares in open market and cheap private mechanic labor charges it gets good resale value also.

So good FE figures and maintenance peace of mind, this is exactly where Maruthi shines and gets sold automatically though feature wise those cars are Overpriced. When I discussed my Swift vs Figo dilemma here with few people above two points were put in favor swift and almost everybody pushed me towards Swift. But my analytical mind was resisting me against Swift, since I read many threads here and put everything on paper, Figo was standing taller than swift w.r.t. my own requirements.
Quote:

Fiat makes excellent cars. Be is space, comfort, features, technology or driver friendliness, all their cars launched till date (except the 500) are worth atleast 2-4 lakhs more than what you pay for. But more of everything also means more niggles. Fiat A.S.S partners have till date not been fully capable is sorting out these niggles effectively and this coupled with the companies inability is managing spares properly leads to more unhappy customers too. Unfortunately Fiat has got much better revenue sources than 'selling cars'. And thats really sad for the Indian market.
When many high tech features are put in a product it needs maintenance labor with high intellectual standard to analyze root cause of the trouble. Hence maintaining such cars becomes very difficult. On top of this people who understand value of those features buy the car and their expectations are high. This make the gap between expectations and quality of service very wide. Hence the brand is blamed. More ever Fiat also have not tried to set up Independent dealerships and A.S.S.Centers or there might not have received satisfactory response from market in doing so due to Stamp of "Difficult to Maintain and Service". Anyways I dropped Punto from my Final shortlist on maintenance issues and poor initial fit and finish, after talking to few owners in my locality.

Quote:

Ford is just into changing its image from a premium (to buy and maintain) car to a common man's practical car. Their cars have always had a little bit of racing DNA in the way their suspensions are set and the overall driver orientation. The reason that the Figo is so successful is that they have managed to pack these positives into a VFM package. The pathetic feature list of the major diesel manufacturers in this segment makes the VFM thingy so much more predominant and that is the very reason that almost all Figo owners are quite happy with their cars though they are facing quite some niggles.
In my opinion what Ford has tried to do is to place products between Maruthi and Fiat. They are giving bit more features than Maruthi and excluding some high tech features of Fiat. Similarly they are also trying to know feed back from Figo buyers and trying to improve the service experience. However to compete with maruthi I feel that they should do two more things. Make spares available outside dealership and allow private Authorized service Centers. If they do this definitely No 1 position is not far away. My personal opinion is Ford Dealership experience is not that satisfactory even before delivery of Car. I am bit worried about how maintenance and service will be. I am going to write to Ford MD about these two suggestions. I really feel Ford A.S.S.Center's labor charges are really high compared to maruthi labor charges in private service centers. Its also inconvenient to take car to A.S.S.C. which are generally located on Highways and far away from our usual travel root.

Quote:

There is a lot pending from my end. There is a 30K service update of the Figo and more importantly a "500km with a Ritz DDIS" is coming up. So you guys watch this space for more. Will bring it up ASAP.
Waiting eagerly for the same. I would like to see Ritz experience compared to Figo.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote