Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th December 2011, 10:53   #931
BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "42K kms Update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Would like to know more about the "GD" software update. What kind of software is this? And how do they update it? Do they update it into the instrument console or do they do it with the engine control? And if i take my car to the SC, in how much time will the update be finished?
Have you faced the stalling issue ?
They are different versions of the software. It is a PCM update that is involved. PCM is the part of the timing control of the ECU. You could also say that it is a firmware upgrade.
Now it can be done in an hours time and free of cost. Necessary only if you have faced the stalling issue.
Yeah and available at Ford Service.

Last edited by figo_mba : 14th December 2011 at 10:55.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:23   #932
BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher-The Figo TDCi. "42K kms Update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Have you faced the stalling issue ?
They are different versions of the software. It is a PCM update that is involved. PCM is the part of the timing control of the ECU. You could also say that it is a firmware upgrade.
Now it can be done in an hours time and free of cost. Necessary only if you have faced the stalling issue.
Yeah and available at Ford Service.
Yeah i have faced the issue a few times. I think no updates have been done on my vehicle till date. I might have to check up that. When i was in Goa, they definitely did not do it. and when i visited the Cochin showroom, they did not mention anything regarding this
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:13   #933
Senior - BHPian

They connect their computer to the OBD port under the steering. It should take just under 10 min. Another 10 min for the clutch adjustment. But since the a.s.s guys are busy with many cars its better to keep aside atleast an hour for this.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 19:02   #934
BHPian

Hello Gemi,
Is this GD update required for all TDCI engines or specific to Figo.
Wanted to check if it is also recommended for Ikon TDCI or if they have some other upgrades?
Also is the upgrade done free of cost or do they charge something?

Cheers
MKPI
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 08:03   #935
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it might be applicable to the ikon since its not BSIV compliant. It is done free of cost. I heard that a couple of classic fiestas too come in with the engine shut down issue. So this seems to be something related to the BSIV compliant engines.

Anyways hope things are sorted out now.
Old 19th December 2011, 18:46   #936
Senior - BHPian

The water in fuel pump light does come on during engine check even after the update. Saw some complain about not seeing this light after updating to the new version. It lights up atleast on my car.

The thud from the wheels while jumping into potholes is annoying. I guess the shocks need some attention. But the a.s.s felt otherwise the last time i asked them to check.
Old 26th December 2011, 21:31   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The water in fuel pump light does come on during engine check even after the update. Saw some complain about not seeing this light after updating to the new version. It lights up atleast on my car.
Well, one of the guys complaining about this issue is me. The water in fuel pump light never comes on now during engine check after the software update. My car stayed at the Ford showroom for 3 days for this issue (after the software update) and nothing concrete came out. Wiring harness was checked and they even changed the meter cluster (I hope they did!) but no result. The last time I saw the light come on was when the software was being updated on my car.

When the car was handed to me, the technician turned the test mode on (w/o starting the car) and showed me that the light came on. After that he said that since the light came in, so it will come when water comes in fuel.

But during engine check, it never lights up.

Gemi, do u think driving the car in test mode was the cause of stalling or it was the firmware.

Since it is getting extremely cold in the north, I would love to turn the test mode on in the morning to see what actually is the temp at cold start and how much time it takes (during idle) to bring it to normal driving temp.

Quote:
I dont think it might be applicable to the ikon since its not BSIV compliant. It is done free of cost. I heard that a couple of classic fiestas too come in with the engine shut down issue. So this seems to be something related to the BSIV compliant engines.

Anyways hope things are sorted out now.
I just hope it does. Coz true test will be in summer season with A/C at full blast. I faced this issue only in summers with A/C on.

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2011 at 15:03. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 10:06   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
I just hope it does. Coz true test will be in summer season with A/C at full blast. I faced this issue only in summers with A/C on.
I know the temperatures in north india are more extreme than it is here but if it is any consolation, my car has stalled n number of times in both hot (38C) and cold weather(14C) but after the update I have to say the confidence is renewed and the car just does not stall.. HURRAY!
I hope it works the same way for you.

Also I am guessing you say the real test is in summer because of the added load on the engine ? But was the stalling issue related to the load on the engine at any point of time ? Please can you explain this ?
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 17:37   #939
BHPian

Default Re: 33333km done

Quote:
PS: I know the Ritz comparo has been waiting long enough now. The car was bought by my brother in law and he has taken the car now. I want to click a few pics before i put up my comparo. Thats whats keeping it from coming up here.
Buddy,

Was going through your thread in detail. Still hopeful that you will be back on PUG with ownership review of a FIAT soon.

Meanwhile, I was looking forward to the comparo of the TDCI with DDIS as my BIL and sis are planning to buy a hatchback soon and enthrusted me with the responsibility of choosing between the ritz and figo.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 12:47   #940
BHPian

Gemi dada
Coming to Team-bhp after a long gap.
Any news of your sold out Adventure? How is it running?
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 22:25   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Well, one of the guys complaining about this issue is me.
Gemi, do u think driving the car in test mode was the cause of stalling or it was the firmware.
I really dont know. The light comes ON the first time i turn the key to ON position. If i turn it off and back ON again the light would not come. I really dont know why its not happening on your car. Turning to test mode is nothing but like going to DOS mode on your windows computer. It should not really have any effect on anything.

One thing you could try is another update with the GD version.

I guess the Stalling issue has been sorted out. Coz otherwise its time i should have experienced the shut down. But i have a strong feeling that its the clutch adjustment that has more to do to it than the software update. One thing about the update is that the car surely pulls better in third gear from much lower speeds to much higher speeds than earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Buddy,
Was going through your thread in detail. Still hopeful that you will be back on PUG with ownership review of a FIAT soon.

Meanwhile, I was looking forward to the comparo of the TDCI with DDIS as my BIL and sis are planning to buy a hatchback soon and enthrusted me with the responsibility of choosing between the ritz and figo.

Cheers
though i still love the cars from FIAT. Back on PUG with a Fiat Ownership might take some more time. I surely would be there on PUG though. Here is something i wrote on PUG a few days back. Thought it would be worth putting it here

Quote:
Over my past years of first hand experience with Fiat, Maruti and Ford. There are a few things i have understood and i would like to share with all.

FIAT makes good cars for sure but they have failed time and again in keeping the customer satisfied. The irony here is that the satisfaction levels are adversely affected by the very same reason that they "make good cars". There has been a Uno 1.2 and a Adventure 1.6 in our family. Both cars were a dream to drive when brand new. We never appreciated handing over the drivers seat to anyone else. The cars were so perfect when new that every single extra noise or slightest change in the engine note would make unhappy and we would rush to the A.S.S. Right from the TVS days to the TATA days one thing has been the same. The A.S.S would leave us with a new set of problems after each visit. But still we managed to go back to them the next time we hear something new. Our Uno has done just around 70K till date and is now breathing its last breaths due to non availability of parts and skilled labour. The resale prices are so low that i would not be able to pay even the insurance premium of my Ford Figo with the sale amount. The FIAT adventure got spares replaced for close to 80K within the warranty period. Every time i had a warranty claim i had to fight with the a.s.s and prove that i have serviced my car with them. The positive side of all the energy and time wasted is that when the warranty expired i almost had a brand new car except body panels and plastics. I luckily got a buyer at the right time and sold it at a very decent price. Spare parts have been a nightmare. For even the simplest things i needed to follow up for months with the owners of the A.S.S or Someone from FIAT / TATA.

To give you a glimpse of things outside FIAT. We have owned a Ford Fusion 1.6 and a Figo 1.4. The Fusion has done close to 60K and still feels like brand new. We have not changed any major part except battery and a few shock absorbers. The Figo has done above 40K and still behaves the same as new. I had an event of a radiator fan not working. I drove into the service centre at 8:30am without an appointment and drove out at 11:00 AM with a new radiator fan and relay fuse. No questions asked. No answers given. I even got my brake pads changed under warranty after i had around 25K km on the ODO. I bet these are a few things you can never expect to happen with a FIAT.

For those who want the whole picture. The FIATs used to be cars we thoroughly loved. We felt so safe and comfortable in the FIATs. We loved to drive the FIATs and never handed over the keys to anyone else. The Fords on the other hand are just a piece of machinery. They make all sorts of noise now and then. The engine note of my Figo varies with ambient temperature, driving style, and quite a lot of external factors. The thud i hear when the car jumps into a pothole makes me feel that something has broken off.

What i'm trying to say is that each car has its own pros and cons. And each car has its own character. Please do not buy a ford because you hate fiat. Please do not buy a FIAT because you know Mangesh or MN. You need to decide what you want from your car and pick up the one that meets your requirements. And please understand that for any reason whatsoever, no manufacturer would buy back your car as easily as you bought it from them.

The only thing that work in the Automobile Service Industry is Relationship. Maintain a good relationship with the owners, service engineers, and service personnel. That is the only way you can ensure your car gets treated "optimally well". You might not just get all that you want.

Buying a car is like deciding to live with a few compromises. Getting your car serviced is all about living with another set of those.
the Ritz comparo is pending since the car is in bangalore now. I wanted to put some comparo pics too. If its taking too long i'll try to put it up without the pics.

If you want any suggestions you could PM me with their priorities and i would be happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Gemi dada
Coming to Team-bhp after a long gap.
Any news of your sold out Adventure? How is it running?
hi harish. what a coincidence. i was just thinking of you the other day. My adventure is doing good with the new owner. He is extremely happy with the brand new car i handed over to him. Hope things are good at your end. Whatever people have to say or whatever we go through by owning it. FIAT ADVENTURE IS THE CAR. Its not something everyone gets to experience. And i'm proud i got a chance.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:35   #942
BHPian

Quote:

hi harish. what a coincidence. i was just thinking of you the other day. My adventure is doing good with the new owner. He is extremely happy with the brand new car i handed over to him. Hope things are good at your end. Whatever people have to say or whatever we go through by owning it. FIAT ADVENTURE IS THE CAR. Its not something everyone gets to experience. And i'm proud i got a chance.
Hi Gemi
Its going nice. The ongoing efforts to keep thigns fine is somethign which stays all along the ownership of this car, but running smooth now in its recent history of 1 years or so. Got some major replacements done.
Not relying on any FIAT *** any more.
Hows Mini baby Figo going on. Heard that you faced some minor issues with fan.
Also the mehcnaics to whom I am giving car for repairs nowdays have good expereince over FIAT, and themself owns a UNO who has done 2L plus Kms. You mentioned that yours is stalled for unavailbility of spares. i dont know how much they can be helpfull in this case, but let me know, I will just ask them if they can arrange the same.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 22:39   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I know the temperatures in north india are more extreme than it is here but if it is any consolation, my car has stalled n number of times in both hot (38C) and cold weather(14C) but after the update I have to say the confidence is renewed and the car just does not stall.. HURRAY!
I hope it works the same way for you.

Also I am guessing you say the real test is in summer because of the added load on the engine ? But was the stalling issue related to the load on the engine at any point of time ? Please can you explain this ?
Hi

I experienced the stalling when the ac condenser fan started and there was a dip in rpm like from 850 during a/c to around 650 to 700 for a microsecond. At this point if cabin light is on, it also dims a bit.
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 22:59   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

Remember the engine shut down issue I spoke about while coming to a stop after a high speed blast?

From what I reckon after a trip of ~1000kms is that the ECU takes longer to register the slow speed suddenly. As at few places, I just know the Car can tackle it in 2nd, but it demands 1st gear.

I started noticing the water in fuel icon since one of our Safari's demanded two injector replacements & a fuel pump change. It lights up everytime (all led lamps do glow) & shuts off. In the 2.2VTT, engine check lamp along with water in fuel lamp used to glow. Its a problem if it stays on longer or comes on during driving.

Gemi ; Can you post pictures of your interiors & exteriors? Wish to see as to how the Car is ageing.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:16   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Hows Mini baby Figo going on. Heard that you faced some minor issues with fan.
dont know how much they can be helpfull in this case, but let me know, I will just ask them if they can arrange the same.
Figo is doing good. Its a practical car with all that you really need from a car. 44K km down the line i still miss the Adventure. Once in a while i can still close my eyes and feel the silky smooth engine, the way the power never ends and the fantastic gear shifts. I always wonder. Which other manufacturer could have screwed up such a wonderful car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Remember the engine shut down issue I spoke about while coming to a stop after a high speed blast?

From what I reckon after a trip of ~1000kms is that the ECU takes longer to register the slow speed suddenly. As at few places, I just know the Car can tackle it in 2nd, but it demands 1st gear.

Gemi ; Can you post pictures of your interiors & exteriors? Wish to see as to how the Car is ageing.
The car pulls better from slow speeds after the update. Atleast that is my feeling.

Will post pics later.