Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th April 2014, 11:29   #1006
BHPian

Default re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!

Wow that's great going.
With a Ford, mechanically I find that the suspension is its weak point. I might encounter the some suspension related issues with my Ecosport as I did with the Figo. Barring that I find that vehicle and servicing cost are great and VFM.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 15:23   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Default 1,10,000KM Update

Ok! I've been getting screwed! My pockets are empty! And i have a car with the remap undone!

The Tyre Update
The Michelin XM1+ really amazed me by doing 80,000km without any kid of fuss except that the last probably 10-15k km was noisy and hard. Cant complain a bit about though since none of my in family cars have done anything above 40K till date. The OEM Appollo on my Figo was changed around 29K km due to a sidewall puncture on one an another one damaged due to a flat run. At around 1,09,000km i drove into my trusted friends shop in Mavelikkara named "5th Wheel" and shifted to Michelin XM2's. The XM1+ had enough thread to easily do around 5K more km but i did not want to take the risk since most of my drives are at night. Total Damage for 4 Tyres, Air Nozzles, Alighment and Balancing was Rs.20,500/-

I went for the size 185/65R14 after seeking help here in the tyre section and a fb chat with kpzen. I was actually hell bent for 185/70R14 but opted out at the last moment since i thought it might be too out of range with the OEM standards.

XM2's have done almost 2K now and are doing a pretty decent job. Noise levels are low and Grip is good. Especially in rains, the tyre gives pretty high confidence levels.

The 1,10,000KM Service
At the 1lakh service i was informed that Ford has changed the Timing belt interval of Figo's from 1,00000KM to 1,20,000KM and thus did not get it done at that time. For this service i opted for a voluntary timing belt change since my car is among the first batch of Figo's and i since my car has been running on a remap.

The total bill came to Rs.30,500/-. Things changed included the Timing belt, Water pump and all pulleys/dampners associated with it. It is supposed to be a precautionary change since removing these parts again in case of future issues would be a costly affair.

The Bad's of the Service
  • I had specifically told them to not tinker with the ECU software and the close to idiotic service advisor told me they have not. But the car has come back on stock maps and it is extremely frustrating after the remap experience.
  • I had specifically asked for a Air Filter change. But this was not done. Again when asked, that idiot of a Service advisor was not even sure if it was cleaned or changed or unbilled!!
  • I had asked them to change both filters of the A/C. They billed me only for one and the same idiot did not have a clue of what happened.
  • There is a minor leak of power steering fluid. They now want me to change the entire steering box at close to Rs.10,000/-. I got saved this time due to non availability of parts.
  • The last time they removed my dash for the A/C Coil change they kept a few screws of the gear console cover for themselves!! This time when i asked them to fix it right they had no screws in stock!!
The car performs as good as new except for the missing map! But i guess i need to find another garage to keep my costs under control!
gemithomas is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 15:17   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: !,00,000km Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
This might sound absurd, but i have plans to shop for a new Ford Figo.

I am not surprised, even i am thinking on the same lines if i plan to get another hatch.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 14:08   #1009
BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km upd

Quote:

The 1,10,000KM Service
At the 1lakh service i was informed that Ford has changed the Timing belt interval of Figo's from 1,00000KM to 1,20,000KM and thus did not get it done at that time. For this service i opted for a voluntary timing belt change since my car is among the first batch of Figo's and i since my car has been running on a remap.
Great going gemi. Thanks or the update.
Your's was one of the threads which I took details, inspiration and a whole level of confidence from before I went headlong into the purchase of figo.

My car is more than four and a quarter years old now having clocked 85k presently. I am actually rather surprised that your car has reached only 1,10,000 now. Cos, by the initial spree with which you were gunning it, methought that ford will pay you to get out of the car

My car has run only 10k in the last one year. You seems to have really slowed down in the process it seems.

Good decision that to shit to XM2s. I changed my stock tyres at 42k. Michelins have been doing a great job till now, where as, I was struggling with the stock tyres at this mileage.

And or info, kindly share your remap in brief.
regards
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 20:29   #1010
BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km upd

Hi Gemi and other experienced friends

I have posted this question elsewhere as well before realising that, that post has not been updated for a long time and hence posting my question hoping to learn from your experience?

I own a Figo Diesel Titanium 2011 and am now reaching 65K kms on the odo.
Is there a way to figure out clutch wear? I do not feel any hardness in the clutch but I feel my mileage has dropped drastically from the last service (Not blaming the FASS guys - they have really been very good to me).
Also, I do not see a difference in vehicle speed at a certain RPM (I mean it still runs 100 KMPH at 2500 RPM). The pickup seem to have reduced - not sure if this is psychological.

In essence, any guidance on how do I know the clutch needs to be replaced? Are there any symptoms I need to look for?

Inputs welcome!!
Ashwinbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:31   #1011
Senior - BHPian

one way would be to put your ca on the hand brake and shift into gear and slowly release the clutch. If the clutch is worn out the car should jump and stall at some point of the release. I guess this must be explained on some thread elsewhere. Just do a search before you proceed.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 19:29   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gemi,
Have you ever changed the Brake Rotors in your car?

I am seeing a large oil build up near the drive shaft, I think this is going to go bad soon!
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 15:29   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Dear Gemi,
Have you ever changed the Brake Rotors in your car?

I am seeing a large oil build up near the drive shaft, I think this is going to go bad soon!
No. Nothing other than pads related to brake has been replaced.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 16:20   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!

Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!-fantasia-painting166.jpg

All excited to get back my Tune-O-Tronics Map after quite a long time. The A.S.S guys had flashed the ECU back to normal during my last service when i changed the Timing Belt.

Car doing Great. Hope it stays so for longer.

The Map is supposed to go back in by Today Night.
gemithomas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 16:05   #1015
BHPian

Default Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Ford Figo TDCi. 110,000 km update!

Quote:
Attachment 1340950

All excited to get back my Tune-O-Tronics Map after quite a long time. The A.S.S guys had flashed the ECU back to normal during my last service when i changed the Timing Belt.

Car doing Great. Hope it stays so for longer.

The Map is supposed to go back in by Today Night.
Thanks Gemi - do you mind sharing detailed split of 120k km service. My dad's figo is at 114k km's and next service will be expensive I guess!
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 20:38   #1016
Senior - BHPian

I am right now at Trivandrum and will be shuttling around for this month. Dont have the bills handy with me. The Max costs went into the timing belt/water pump thingy is what i remember. Will try to get hold of the bills once i'm back.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:04   #1017
BHPian

Hi Gemi (et all here) - Good to see that your running expenses have been low when compared to mine (including my upcoming ones)

I am just reaching 77000 kms and prepping for the following bills waiting to take away quite a sum off my bonus payout. :(

Fast Approaching ones (may be during 80K service)
1. New Shoes: approx 20K (4 tyres - currently on Yokos A Drives 185/65 R14) - not sure why tyres only last around 38K kms on an avg for me? Is it the same for you guys as well?
2. Right Shocks leaking: approx Rs 4400 per set
3. Right Drive Shaft: approx Rs 12000 (Not sure how did this wear out considering my driving - I am supposedly quite a smooth handler when it comes to my cars)

Could wait a bit more -
Clutch: Should last for another 10K kms - approx spend Rs 13000

Items 2 and 3 - my guess being KA speed breakers (without proper sign boards on the state highways). I had to fly through a couple of vehicle (read speed) breakers at over 100 kmph and I had to drift away from the road to avoid hitting (killing) a girl who just ran across the highway from nowhere (I am guessing she came from the fields adjacent to the highway). Big Thanks for my ABS all escaped that day.

Big spends so far apart from Tyres and Brake discs and rotors which I am guessing you would have as well.
AC evaporator coil and the essentials along with it

Having said that, I am seriously considering Renault Lodgy. And now does it make sense for me to spend on a car that I will most likely give it off?
Thoughts in my mind - If I was a second hand car buyer I would like to buy a car that is spic and span. That said, I have given away my previous cars ONLY in that state - like father like son.

The confusion prevails!
Ashwinbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 23:52   #1018
BHPian

Hi Gemi,

Your thread has been the bible I refer to whenever I have an issue or a doubt about my ~4 year old Figo TDCi Zxi. It is a few hunderd kms short of 80k kms.

Coming to a new issue that surfaced this evening, I was on my way back to home from office. I heard a tuk-tuk noise once the car passed through a rough patch on an uneven road. It sounded very abnormal and I immediately got down from the car after parking it on the side of the road and inspected for any thing hanging down from down under. I could not notice anything sticking out. Started driving again and noticed that the sound was still there and it was more pronounced when the tyres got into a gutter or a bigger pot-hole. So I doubted if there is something to do with the suspension setup. Unsure of what the reason for the sound is I drove a few hundred meteres more and parked at my parking slot. Only then I noticed there was a difference in the brake pedal travel. The pedal felt like travelling longer than usual and the braking feel also seems to have deteriorated. Anyway, I had already booked for the 80k km service for tomorrow(booked today morning). I am still puzzled about the sudden feeling of loss of braking power and the tuk-tuk sound. The car is still under extended warranty and it is valid till this june.

Any expert opinions on the issue I am facing ?

Thanks in advance for your comments/advices
hardoop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote