Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 23:07   #61
kkg
BHPian
 
kkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: India,New Delhi
Posts: 287
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Sorry to inform everybody this late but I got this information in last august itself (my warranty was expiring in october). I saw the " extend your warranty" poster in GM workshop, inquired about it and got to know the above mentioned condition.

Why would a person with 3 year warranty buy an extended warranty for the fourth year in first year itself? It's still above my head.

For what could happen after the warranty, refer here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...le-starts.html (Chevy Spark:- Warranty over, trouble starts)
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 06:33   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

^^ True

Got the rear left door painted and the paint job looks pretty fine. So finally the Sparky gets a mid life uplift with the following in place -

New clutch plates
New Battery
New Tyres
New Alloys
Touch up and paint job done for all small and big scratches

Here are a few pictures that i took from my BB in the office parking today. The pictures don't do justice to how the car actually looks in person. Will take better pictures over the weekend and post it here.

KM Update - 56,400 kms
Attached Thumbnails
Rugged Spark Owners report-img00512201102092054.jpg  

Rugged Spark Owners report-img00513201102092054.jpg  

Rugged Spark Owners report-img00514201102092054.jpg  

harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:20   #63
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 938
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

I am quite tired of one thing that keeps coming up every now and then in my Spark thats about 1.5 years old. The brake clamps start making noise when ever I go over a rough patch. The gad gad noise keeps cropping up after every few thousand kms. Any permanent solution? Also right from day 1, I have felt that the car goes a bit to the left when the steering is left alone. In spite of many alignments and balancings at the Nikhil auto I have never been satisfied with the work done. Should I look for an external alignment/balancing shop?
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 20:27   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

I didn't understand what you meant by Brake clamps making the gad gad noise , do you mean the brake pedal?

Try getting the balancing alignment done from a known place outside the showroom in front of your eyes , i'm sure you'll get better results than before.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 21:55   #65
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 938
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I didn't understand what you meant by Brake clamps making the gad gad noise , do you mean the brake pedal?

Try getting the balancing alignment done from a known place outside the showroom in front of your eyes , i'm sure you'll get better results than before.
What happens is that when the brake clamp is a bit loose, it starts banging against the brake disc and you start having these gad-gad kind of noises on rough roads. I have had this problem sorted out 2 times already now but the sound has started again.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 00:32   #66
BHPian
 
BurningHeart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 427
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

i have a Spark and while going over speed breakers, the front suspension makes a "crunch" sound almost like a spring compressing and de-compressing. i dont like it. Now the rear left one also started. Is there anything that can be done?

BH
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 20:42   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
What happens is that when the brake clamp is a bit loose, it starts banging against the brake disc and you start having these gad-gad kind of noises on rough roads. I have had this problem sorted out 2 times already now but the sound has started again.
I think these are common problems with every spark as per my observation and personal experience

Poor braking
frequent brake pad replacements


Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
i have a Spark and while going over speed breakers, the front suspension makes a "crunch" sound almost like a spring compressing and de-compressing. i dont like it. Now the rear left one also started. Is there anything that can be done?

BH
Yes, You can get it changed if your car is under warranty otherwise you have to pay for it. As i mentioned before that i've got my shockers changed 4 times..phew!!

Overall GM really needs to work on the quality of their cars. I guess they're making money through the spares and keeping lower margins on the selling price.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 21:38   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Guys, the LTO of Spark seems to be pretty costly after the service holiday, going by the reports of few BHPians. I have an year old Spark. The car has excellent driveability and ergonomics. But the upkeep of the car after 3 years is the scary part going by the reports on here. Fingers crossed and praying!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 13:59   #69
BHPian
 
kenpachigamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 65
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Yep, @abhinav agreeing fully with you on the scary part. even I have an year old spark. Though I have a good acquaintance with the service manager and till now things have been smooth , but I doubt if that will really help after 3 years time.
kenpachigamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 22:14   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Guys, the LTO of Spark seems to be pretty costly after the service holiday, going by the reports of few BHPians. I have an year old Spark. The car has excellent driveability and ergonomics. But the upkeep of the car after 3 years is the scary part going by the reports on here. Fingers crossed and praying!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachigamer View Post
Yep, @abhinav agreeing fully with you on the scary part. even I have an year old spark. Though I have a good acquaintance with the service manager and till now things have been smooth , but I doubt if that will really help after 3 years time.

True guys. Although i've travelled vastly on my Spark so i dont feel the pinch as much as a guy who uses it only for daily commute.

Also the true love for cars keeps me away from the scary part but ultimately when it comes to shelling some dough then it does hurt.

My car is on a 5 year loan so i don't see myself selling it before that because then the deal would be a suicidal one
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 23:26   #71
kkg
BHPian
 
kkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: India,New Delhi
Posts: 287
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

@ harishnayak
Quote:
My car is on a 5 year loan so i don't see myself selling it before that because then the deal would be a suicidal one
[/quote]


Exactly my scenario mate. Due to frequent problems I am facing off late I guess I'll have to take that dreaded step. ( I am feeling extremely bad on saying so about my beloved Spark).
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 08:44   #72
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 938
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

I guess 2.5-3 years is reasonable time for any car suspension to give problems considering the "wonderful" roads we travel on. But re-occurence of the same problem again and again is not good. I am going to take my car again to Nikhil auto and give them a piece of my mind.
We are complaining about the high cost of spare and servicing once the maintenance package is over, but look at the other thread where Hyundai owners are also venting their displeasure of high service and parts cost of the so called "cheap to maintain Hyundais" makes me wonder if this is the same scenario across all brands.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 21:58   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 596
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Hi Harish! bumped into the thread after a long time. Good to see that the sparky is going strong over the years.
Although, the frequent brake pad replacement is quite strange for every 20k km interval.

Last edited by Utopian : 20th February 2011 at 21:59.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 22:19   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
We are complaining about the high cost of spare and servicing once the maintenance package is over, but look at the other thread where Hyundai owners are also venting their displeasure of high service and parts cost of the so called "cheap to maintain Hyundais" makes me wonder if this is the same scenario across all brands.
True, looks like GM is selling the car for a low initial price to make up for it in spares and service cost after the 3 year package is over.

And like you say, it seems to be common across the board barring the Maruti's for normal upkeep of the vehicle.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 05:10   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
harishnayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: DELHI
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Rugged Spark Owners report

Apparently this is not the case with all the car manufacturers , IMO some like Maruti and Honda still provide very low maintenance costs.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap & rugged Pre-owned Utility Vehicle raj_5004 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 58 9th January 2014 16:42
Rugged Pajero for jawans posted in Sikkim darklord The Indian Car Scene 34 29th September 2011 13:40
Toyota Innova D4D - 55000 KM - Report - ICED, PETED, RUGGED taranonline Long-Term Ownership Reviews 30 21st August 2009 09:20
i10 or spark - EDIT: Bought Spark LT splitsecond Hatchbacks 135 28th May 2009 22:30
Little Spark of Happiness has arrived - Chevrolet Spark LT JRD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 15th November 2008 13:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks