Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th April 2010, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Default 2002 Fiat Palio ELX

Note from Team-BHP Support : No more than 2 smilies per post please. Read our rules.

Recently I bought a Fiat Palio 2002 ELX with 33,0000 KM on Odo and with minor scratches. (That is normal in Hyderabad). I bought this car to teach driving to my wife so I thought this is Ok car for her.

After buying the car thought of doing a full service. Intially I took the car to a local mechanic who is known to me. From there I just did the oil change and oil filter change.

The car was not maintained well in the last 1 year I think. (Owner might have been thinking to sell it off in the last one year). The front tyres were oddly worned out, rear ones too, but manageable (Because no wheel alignment).

Changed the front two wheels for 3,300 each. Did the alignment too.

The next day I took the car to the Fiat authorised service centre for the following complaints.

Some time the ignition was not working properly
The engine oil cap was broken
Wiper has to be replaced.
The gear lever cover was loose

I was expecting around 5K for all these works.

The below is the actual bill break-up
  1. RPM sensor -- 793.89
  2. Air filter --- 182.53
  3. Gear boot lock -- 44.54
  4. Wiper blade LH -- 81.22
  5. Wiper Blade RH -- 113.54
  6. Oil cap --- 185.15
  7. Complete checkup -- 800
  8. Labour charges -- 920.68
Total -- 3483

These amounts looks pretty reasonable to me. Seems like Fiat is also going in the Ford's way ..

The service engineers approach looks also far far better than what I expected (I heard lot many negative feedback from my friends who has Fiat/Tata cars

The ambience of the customer lounge sucks. The seats looks very ugly and I thought multiple times whether to sit or not

After a week I put an anti theft system from Auto cop also.

After two weeks the car broke down in the road and I found out that the accelerator cable was broken. I called the fiat roadside assistance service. They came in acouple of hours. 225 was the cable cost plus 400 for road side assistance and 50 for labour charge. I think fiat After sale service has improved a lot.

With respect to fuel efficient I was not expecting more than 10 in city driving and I am getting around that also I think

Once agian I am appreciating the way the Fiat *** improved. Keep it up

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2010 at 09:54. Reason: Note from Team-BHP Support : No more than 2 smilies per post please. Read our rules.
anumod is online now   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11th April 2010, 02:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the service has improved and most parts are reasonably priced. Some parts are still expensive but they aren't the frequently needed ones.

But the levels of service vary greatly between dealerships. It's all about finding the right one. Unfortunately for Fiats, the right dealerships still aren't as many as there should be.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:53   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Anumod for Palio. What is the color of the car. Please do post some pics of the beauty.
ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Yes, the service has improved and most parts are reasonably priced. Some parts are still expensive but they aren't the frequently needed ones.

But the levels of service vary greatly between dealerships. It's all about finding the right one. Unfortunately for Fiats, the right dealerships still aren't as many as there should be.

Drifter
Hi drifter can you please let me know the parts which are costlier now also?
anumod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Throttle body around 14k, radiator fan about 8k, steering rack around 19k, combination switch around 4k, instrument console about 12k if I remember correctly. These are the ones I can remember the service guys telling me.

Drifter
drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post

Drifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Congratulations Anumod for Palio. What is the color of the car. Please do post some pics of the beauty.
Attaching some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
2002 Fiat Palio ELX-img_1349.jpg  

2002 Fiat Palio ELX-img_1353.jpg  

Old 27th April 2010, 21:43   #7
BHPian

Nice looking car,Anumod.Generally old Palios for sale in hyderabad seem to be knowingly unkept for by some owners I've personally visited.I thought of buying one last year for my Dad.Suppose they just yank it to a corner until some buyer comes up and then they simply give it a dusting.Feel sad since am a Fiat palio fan for long.
Best Wishes to the Learner.
Can you share the price you bought it and also which Fiat Service did you take it to?
regards
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Thats a good looking Car Anumod. Congrats. Wish you many wonderful miles ahead
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Nice looking car,Anumod.Generally old Palios for sale in hyderabad seem to be knowingly unkept for by some owners I've personally visited.I thought of buying one last year for my Dad.Suppose they just yank it to a corner until some buyer comes up and then they simply give it a dusting.Feel sad since am a Fiat palio fan for long.
Best Wishes to the Learner.
Can you share the price you bought it and also which Fiat Service did you take it to?
regards
Hi Alton,

Thanks for the wishes. I bought it for 95K plus 5k as commision to the agent. I am taking it to Malik cars Tolichowki and to my friends workshop in Safalguda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Thats a good looking Car Anumod. Congrats. Wish you many wonderful miles ahead
RaviKn thanks for your wishes