Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 31st May 2014, 00:04   #91
BHPian

Default Re: My Porsche 911 story: Update & pics on page 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Although quite belated, here is the video of a recent drive to Mount Charleston near Las Vegas, that I promised to upload here. I apologize for taking so long to put it up.

The first half the video is shot through the rear window and the second half through the front windshield. It was a windy day and so there is some wind noise but, hopefully not too much to distract from enjoying the video.
Thats one awesome ride VLOCT.

Do you work on repairs yourself or have a trusted mechanic? I have no good local mechanics around and no facility to DIY on repairs making me think hard on making a classic purchase. What are your thoughts?
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 22:34   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post
I am totally in love with the Cayman for now.

Meanwhile here are some nice pics of different Porsche models in the warehouse.

Am particularly intrigued by the four door sedan version in couple of the pics (and nopes, am not talking about the Panamera)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/porsc...eum-warehouse/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/p...id-engine-911/

Cheers.

Cayman looks like a great car although, not my cup of tea. Only because, it's difficult for me to justify not getting the top of the line 911 if, I'm spending the cash. I'm not talking GT3 but the regular 911 variants.

Thanks for the links, vulcanize. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Thats one awesome ride VLOCT.

Do you work on repairs yourself or have a trusted mechanic? I have no good local mechanics around and no facility to DIY on repairs making me think hard on making a classic purchase. What are your thoughts?
Sorry for the late reply, kraft. Thanks for the compliment.

Owning classic cars is not for the fainthearted or the uncommitted. I do some DIY repairs but, not the complicated ones. You have to find a master mechanic, if you're looking at German classics. American classics are not that complicated, but no less pleasurable, and finding a competent mechanic shouldn't be that difficult. Without a decent garage space of course, it's difficult to do DIY repairs.

I wouldn't let dealers touch a classic car. I find the techs simply are not trained on old cars. Even the new ones, most of them can replace parts, that's what they're good at, it seems. Actual diagnostics of wear and tear is a skill learned with years of experience and commitment and unfortunately, very few, I find, have the patience to acquire such skills.

Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 03:07   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, kraft. Thanks for the compliment.

Owning classic cars is not for the fainthearted or the uncommitted. I do some DIY repairs but, not the complicated ones. You have to find a master mechanic, if you're looking at German classics. American classics are not that complicated, but no less pleasurable, and finding a competent mechanic shouldn't be that difficult. Without a decent garage space of course, it's difficult to do DIY repairs.

I wouldn't let dealers touch a classic car. I find the techs simply are not trained on old cars. Even the new ones, most of them can replace parts, that's what they're good at, it seems. Actual diagnostics of wear and tear is a skill learned with years of experience and commitment and unfortunately, very few, I find, have the patience to acquire such skills.

Cheers.
Couldn't agree more, hardly any mechanics left with good experience and commitment required to baby a classic. I scoped around a lot when I had my mustang for local shops but was never able to get someone I can trust eyes closed.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 08:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Cayman looks like a great car although, not my cup of tea. Only because, it's difficult for me to justify not getting the top of the line 911 if, I'm spending the cash. I'm not talking GT3 but the regular 911 variants.

Thanks for the links, vulcanize. Cheers.
The 2014 model Cayman is the best one yet and is what used to be the 911 of yore.

The Porsche engineers have deliberately scaled back on it so that it does not step on the toes of the elder brother so to speak.
Besides a top of the line and fully loaded 911 Turbo S is in the ballpark of about a 190k TO 200K USD and this one is just about one-thirds.

The mid-engine is pretty forgiving and versatile, try and take one for a test drive

Last edited by vulcanize : 8th June 2014 at 08:25. Reason: Link
vulcanize is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:46   #95
BHPian

Thanks for the link, Vulcanize.

I know all about the Cayman. It's a great looking car too. It simply doesn't do anything for me. Besides, I really don't have much interest in the water-cooled Porsches.

The car that I really want is the Alpha 4C but, I'll wait for a couple of years and see how it works out in the US. I will decide after that.

Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 11:29   #96
BHPian

Hi!

Really nice write up! You can open the picture in paint, place a white circle on your better half's face and post the edited pics here!
yaseenar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 00:38   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Vulcanize.

I know all about the Cayman. It's a great looking car too. It simply doesn't do anything for me. Besides, I really don't have much interest in the water-cooled Porsches.

The car that I really want is the Alpha 4C but, I'll wait for a couple of years and see how it works out in the US. I will decide after that.

Cheers.
I totally understand because I feel the same about some cars.
By the way did you mean the Alfa 4c?
There was another nice Alfa Romeo 4C v/s Cayman compare video on youtube

I personally would love to see the 918 Spyder, the local dealer has offered to call and inform me when it is in the lot so as to have a glimpse (since there is supposedly only 918 cars being produced at a sticker price varying from about 845k to close to a million each).
vulcanize is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote