Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th April 2010, 11:03   #1
Default Long term ownership review of Accent GLE (~5 years)

Dear members,

By way of introduction, I have recently become a Team BHP member. Enclosed is an ownership review of my car:-

Company / make: Hyundai Accent GLE
Model: 2005
Date purchased: 05.05.05
Current KM reading: 77,900

I had moved back to India in April'05 and was looking for a car to transport me from Lokhandwala, Andheri (W) where I lived to BKC where I was working. Since I am not from Mumbai, parental pressure hinted to buying a house first and not a car. I somehow convinced them that a car is required, albeit a small one at that, just to move around. We zeroed in on a Santro, but 2 visits to Shreenath Hyundai, made me change my mind. I thought if I buy a small car, and since its my first car (previous ones were family cars) - I would be keeping it atleast for 4-5 years. Accent had introduced a new colour at that time, Scarlet Sage (the maroonish red) and it was quite a stunner. As a salaried buyer, moving between segments is just a matter of "how much more EMI". In Santro v/s Accent the difference was only INR 6,000 at that time. So I changed my mind and bought the Accent. I did not go for a GLS since the only difference was a digital clock (poof!!) and ABS, the difference being a lac. I dont see any requirement of ABS in Mumbai. The car finally arrived in May05 and has been with me ever since

First 3 years:
The car was quite an envy among colleagues, batchmates as most had got a small car, whereas I had a sedan, barring the occasional jib of it being a "cheap Korean". Barring minor dents and scratches, the first 3 years were quite smooth with no expense at all, except fuel, oil and servicing. My parents had taken it twice on a 2000km trip to Gujarat and there were no complaints at all. My dad is an avid automobile fan and has spent half his life in garages in Gujarat repairing and mofifying family/friends cars. We had the Amby, Fiat, Studbaker, Maruti 800 (old one 1985) but this one even took my dads fancy when he had taken. I was glad of the decision. All these 3 years the car was self driven. I used to get an average mileage of 10.5/11 kmpl

4th year:
Since my job had changed to Fort in the 2nd year of buying the car, the daily commute from Lokhandwala to Fort was getting to be a pain. However, I was in two minds to keep a driver. I got a guy who drives a 7 series, MB SL500 and an X5 for a shipping magnate whose duty starts at 10.30 in the morning. Since he was staying in Andheri, he agreed to drive me from 7.45 to 9 and then proceed to his regular job. With an experience of 20+ years in driving big cars, he was never short of compliments on how smooth the Accent is. With the arrangement, I used to drive back in the evening. I once stopped the car to my old college joint in JVPD for a smoke. I had made a rule never to smoke in the car and have followed it till date. During that stopover, the car just did'nt start again. Tried a lot. It was 9.45 pm and did'nt know what to do. Called the Hyundai Helpline (Shreenath Hyundai) and within 45 minutes (the guy was in Powai), he came in with booster cables and revived the battery. I was glad it was nothing else. However, it happened again the next morning. It dawned upon me that the car is getting old. So we replaced the battery and its doing fine now. We now have a full time driver too. In the 4th year we also changed one tyre since it had been through 3-4 punctures

05th year and running:-
I thought the battery change and a tyre expense was not much. Nevertheless, the AC (one of the chilliest I have ever seen) in the Accent was giving away. Got rectified with a gas fill and I still cant keep it on for more than 15-20 minutes. We also changed the air filter

Since the last 3 months, the rear wheels were giving a rattling noise, especially on cemented roads like Marine Drive etc. On inspection at Shreenath, we were told that the shock absorbers, bushings and brake liners needed to be replaced. The estimate was INR ~42k. We were shocked. However, we also realised that the car has been running extremely well (with 77k on the odo) and this was the first major expense. By this time, I had test driven the Accord, Forturner and the 320d and booked the 320d (will post an initial ownership review once I get the delivery by 25th April) and was contemplating giving this back in exchange (bad deal) or selling directly (good deals but lot of hassles). We anyways got the parts replaced and Shreenath changed only what was necessary. After spending INR 35k we did'nt really feel like selling it. I am sure it can do another 75k kms. Plus, being a first car, I am quite attached to it. So now its with me for good. It sill gives a mileage of 9-9.5 kmpl. Any suggestions to improve it?

I must add that Shreenath has taken great care of the car whenever it was there - this prompted me to choose Navnit Motors (same family) for the BMW 320D CE. Simply cant wait. Btw, the Andheri RTO has opened up a new series from 01st April. MH-02-BY-****. I got the regn.# 320 for the Bimmer.

contangoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

I think your AC condenser is overheating. Get a pressure blast from a water hose on the front bottom part of radiator fins and fan which sit in front of the condenser. Over time, these get blocked with dust/grime/debris and cooling to the condenser is affected which leads to shutdowns.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome on board TBHP contangoback !! IT's THE PLACE TO BE

One of my friend recently bought an Accent himself and I can relate to your experience over a drive in his car. It's probably the VFM sedan if not for some features and looks that looks aged now. :(

Please do post some snaps, reviews and experience of ur latest acquisition once U get your hands on her !!
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:50   #4

Good review of Accent, awaiting more details on your new Buy, COngrats
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote