Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th July 2010, 23:49   #76
BHPian

Default First service

Well Been too busy and a tad lazy in updating this thread.clocked 2700 kms in last 3 months.50-50 highway-city.overall no major niggles.Gave car for first free service last week

Service experience:
Called up KVR kannur for a booking the day before and much to my dismay they told no slots open.on further pressing they gave number of a FIAT service advisor who agreed to have the car in next day.
So dropped it off in the evening,had to wait for15 mins before attended to by a pleasant guy.

Checklist in addition to routine-
Jammed front passenger door lock
Rear lock too acting up occasionally
Rattles from seats and dashboard
loose rubber beading
Car was returned next day on time with a good wash,dashboard was waxed with some shiny stuff.all problems except for rattling seats solved.
rear lock works okay but they told it was damaged and would need to be replaced.sadly part not in stock.
overall 8/10.

will be adding other details soon.
aditya116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:51   #77
BHPian

been long without anything interesting to post.now that nearing 5 months of ownership and 3500ks think its time to post some thoughts now that the initial new car feeling has worn down.

What i like best about the car:
-absolutely gorgeous looks
-fantastic ride
-brilliant handling
-decent fuel economy
-gearing suited to potter about in the city
-supportive front seats
-sporty dash layout
-trip menu settings
-confident braking
-delicious steering wheel
-heavy doors

what leaves me disappointed:
-seats squeaking randomly
-coarse plastics
-bit noisy engine esp on start up
-average nvh
-rubbery shifts(not that bad)
-poor ground clearance
-poor headlights (low beam)
-lack of a 6th gear
-exterior fit and finish not quite there compared to polo

what i positively hate:
-pedals jutting too far into cabin
-the above point making me take my seat far back making rear space non existent
-rubber quality worse than in a nano
-absolutely no juice over 3500rpm
-lack of aftermarket accessories
-crappy stereo

The above being said,the car does give a sense of ownership.you never grow tired of the gorgeous looks.now let me tell some things in detail:

Ride quality at medium to high speeds is the best out there.absolutely no vertical movements.masks the speed so well that cruising at 100 kph is sleep inducing.rear suspension is bit noisy over sharp bumps.driving my fiesta later feels like its a segment below.even drove my friends polo-it scores slightly better only in low speed ride as does the fabia

Handling:now never expected it to beat the fiesta,but after long jaunts over similar roads think it beats fiesta (even a S variant that i tested) as the best drivers budget car.
120k on the punto is similar to 100k on the fiesta
steering is precise to the dot compared to the fiesta which feels vague around the centre. steering at city speeds is a tad hard so is returnability.
Had hit a top whack of 140kph but never really enjoy pushing engine above 110ish speeds.roll on acceleration figures are not too sluggish,gearbox slickness and rev eagerness keep improving all the time as you log on the miles.
As engine plays a large role in enjoying the handling prowess,fiat gets a tad disappointing as fiesta petrol has a far revvy engine with power available at all rpms which makes it joy to downshift for corners ,adjusting for midcorner corrections and most of all when you stomp on the gas at the exit.
The fiesta being lighter can get into tighter turn ins and has a little less understeer. punto tracks more confidently around curves if you get the initial trajectory right.body roll is more or less the same but fiesta is skittish on uneven surfaces.Better visibilty on the fiesta however gives it an advantage while carving corners.
Fuel economy is 19kpl on highways,eked out 23 once with sedate driving.DTE is spot on accurate.FE drops heavily with acceleration.full tank range read out 1050km once!
Gearbox- not the slick one but light enough and reasonably accurate through the gates.Long clutch travel puts you off but thankfully is light.
close ratios boon for city but leaves it strained on highways.In contrast to the 2 sec extra it takes for a 0-100 compared to Linea found punto to be far sprightly in real world(This being also vouched by my friend who owns a linea)
Braking is progressive with good bite towards the end.feel of pedal is a little mushy.never had a chance to let ABS kick in.
Interiors look okay as long as you wipe them regularly.A/C is effective though vents are poorly designed.blower noise is fair.relative lack of storage places for nifties.
Music at vol 10 drowns out all the NVH even till 120kph.Guess wheel wells could do with more sound deadening.
posting a few pics
Attached Images

aditya116 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 02:16   #78
BHPian

Default re: Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review

Been about 1.5 yrs since 1 updated this thread.Has been a uneventful ride (thankfully).The car has aged well and logging of miles has been pretty slow, 17500 k in 2 yrs. The car has seen its fair share of poor roads,winding hills and occasional dirt tracks.
Looking back, have been well satisfied that the desicion of heart over head was fullfilling.For a fiat parts have held on well - mine is a feb 2010 emotion. Service continues to be patchy depending on your location.
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-dsc03424.jpg
Things i have noticed in last 2 years-
Exterior: Fit and finish is reasonable,only plastics turn a shade grey in the sun.BNW shade is good at hiding little dust, small scratches and all.Paint is 30 micron compared to metallic ones on fiat and full thickness scratches are rare.Bumper plastic quality is great and doesnt get deformed easily - case point being a colleagues swift which struck a small projection during parking had a big dent compared to nil on mine.
Wheel caps look new after a good wash and logos still maintain shine.Underbody coating has been a good investment.No obvious rusting till now.engine guard plate has been a boon.underbody is struck few and far in between nowadays.
Mirror causing wind noise above 80 kph has come down.keeping the surface clean and polished seems to have done the trick.
Tyres: have worn at a decent rate.front lefts seem a little more worn on the outer edges inspite of regular alignments.Grip offered is decent, but 195/55 r 15 onthe e-pack is a different league.Steering of that feels more light and precise.usualy keep it at 34 psi all round on good roads.
Name:  tyr.png
Views: 915
Size:  329.8 KB
Suspension: Bad roads last year took their toll.front strut pad right was changed during first service.Ride quality had become slightly stiff with increased noise.Was checked free under 3rd service, all found ok, but increased rear suspension noise persists.caps to cover front suspension mounts were updated in 3rd service. overall high speed ride remains rock solid, handling remains tight as day one inpite of these.Dare say having ridden all other hatches, this rides the best.
Engine:Has been touchwood.refinement improved after 10k though still below newer models.Puttering around town is effortless,good tractability on winding hills and even at sub turbo rpms.Had suspected turbo leak 3 months back but check up was fine.Feels most comfortable cruising and 90ish speeds.Had pushed once to 150 but needs a lot of road.however fantastic poise makes it seem 120ish on other cars.Engine oil consumption is almost nil.guard plate also helps in keeping engine bay clean.
Mileage:keeps getting better.Max recored over a hour run for 60 kms was 26kpl.
Onboard meter is accurate to 0.25kpl after veryfying it multiple times.
Real world mileage for 50-50 city/highway run is 16-17kpl
Regular highway run on a kerala highway returns 19-22.5 easily with 50-70 kmph speeds depending on traffic.
Pushing at speeds 90-110 on early morning jaunts returns 17-18 only
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-image0155.jpg
Handling and steering: Limited by engine,feels a bit underwhelming,but makes for a undramatic sure footed cruiser.Understeers predictabily at the limit and is not much affected by mid corner undulations.Steering is my favourite, precision fantastic but initial front end turn in faster in a swift.The shape and contour makes it a delight to hold. It is too heavy at parking speeds though.
Braking:So effective that ABS only rarely kicks in.For safety brakes are the most critical and i swear by the collisions averted.Front discs have been wearing fast despite engine braking and 3rd service check revealed still more life to go.pedal feel is progressive initially but under hard braking, feel could be much more needed.
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_173n6.jpg
Gearing:one of the weak points. slow shifts ruins progress,notchiness has been overcome a bit.engaging rear gear causes poor meshing randomly.
Interior: No part has fallen off.needs to kept clean lest the coarse plastics make it feel old.Rattles are minimal.stereo has held up good.sound is better and acceptable after changing speakers.no qualms on hearing even alternative/post grunge music.vocals have high fidelity.higher frequencies need more definition.
A/C is effective.though vents limit their performance.cabin cools pretty fast.
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_4041.jpg
Ergonomics:have a laid back habit so makes rear bench behind me unusable.The exaggerated dorsiflexion of ankle causes cramps over long journeys,steering feels a little high set.A pillar occasionally poses problems with blind spots.
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_4032.jpgFiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_4046.jpgFiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-dsc03458.jpg
Niggles:
fuel tank cap ill fitting and even once broke the pin securing the lid as it jammed.had to replace the entire set for 1000 bucks.
one of the door beadings habitually plies loose, replaced twice, second time costed rs 350
Locks randomly act up,heal themselves!!
parts availability a problem with dealers.

Service:
2nd free one done @ KVR kannur 9/10 experience.everything done top notch.
3rd free service this months @ marina calicut was poor
SA insisted changing coolant,steering oil, transmission oil even though not done at other centers onless car has run atleast 30k(60 k or 2 yrs in manual).
Bill amounted a whopping 10700 for consummables.thankfully no labour charges levied for extra check ups and minor repairs.On delivery no satisfactory explanation given, wash quality 3/10 and SA is completely unapologetic.The routine follow up call by FIAT is a farce and the dealers care less about it.
Attachment 915580
Drive safe, always wear seatbelts.
PS: NOTE TO MODS- pls update title to fiat comes full circle - punto MJD now 2yr ownership review.(pls move to long term review section)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_2807c-2.jpg  

Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_2813c.jpg  

Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_2788c-2.jpg  

Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review-img_1737.jpg  

Attached Images

aditya116 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 12:58   #79
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review

That's a very honest ownership review Aditya! Enjoyed reading it and the pics too are beautiful.

My 2nd Punto is two months old and it's nearing 9k mark in the ODO. Except for the glitches you mentioned, driving a Punto is real Joy!
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 13:45   #80
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Fiat comes full circle :: Punto MJD now 2-year ownership review

Aditya,

Just went through the complete review in one go. Don't know how I missed this one. I used to think that I have read all the Punto ownership reviews here. Because I was also planing to go for a Punto Emotion.

Anyways, your is also a practical one. By the way, 2 years back (your 1st post of this thread), you said that you will recommend Fiesta over a Punto but it seems that these 2 years of Punto ownership must have changed your mind?

A request: Please keep updating this ownership thread without such a long gap.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 16:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, your is also a practical one. By the way, 2 years back (your 1st post of this thread), you said that you will recommend Fiesta over a Punto but it seems that these 2 years of Punto ownership must have changed your mind?
Thanks irish, now having driven it extensively,feels like fiesta is a segment below except for engine and better interiors.Everyone whos ridden in it marvel at the big car feel, even novices.That being said it really sombres down your driving style.I am just happy pottering around now,getting great mileage and emphasising on safety.My 2 other colleagues have gone on to buy puntos and they very much love the core qualities of plush ride and solid feel.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:05   #82
BHPian

Excellent ownership review Aditya116!! You have pointed out most of the positives and negatives one can expect upon long term usage of the magnificent Punto. I bought a 2012 Punto this January after a spending a lot of timing on T-Bhp, reading reviews and reports, but somehow had missed your review!!
BTW, I am glad knowing that your service experience with KVR TATA Kannur was very good! I am basically from Kannur and was planing to do my first service from Kannur when I drive down to my home some time in May or June.
I did see a lot many puntos in Kannur this time around when I was at home for vishu. Is it that I have started specifically observing them after I have become an owner of one or are there really good numbers being sold in Kannur?
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 15:01   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I did see a lot many puntos in Kannur this time around when I was at home for vishu. Is it that I have started specifically observing them after I have become an owner of one or are there really good numbers being sold in Kannur?
Thanks, True puntos are sold in decent numbers in north kerala especially kannur and calicut.most of them are BNW.last heard KVR were doing 30-35 puntos a month, might be 10-15% less.They do not spend at all in local ads and brand visibilty is poor.That said kerala has been traditionally the market where not so popular ford,fiat used to do decent numbers compared to rest of country.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
last heard KVR were doing 30-35 puntos a month, might be 10-15% less
30-35? thats roughly equal to 3.5 % of monthly pan India sales!! Not bad at all for a small town dealer! May be people consider the Punto due to the excellent suspension which would help a great deal in the typically rough roads of Kannur, especially interior parts of the district!
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote