Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 16:38   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
This is connector at the bottom left of the fan shroud. 3 wires, it plugs into a resistor. or the bottom most connector.
Catalyst, i went to Ukkadam market for the resistor(just to check) and that resistor also did not start the slow speed when Ac was switched on. Then i managed to get a scrap fan's relay. When i used that, the slow speed fan started with the Ac. The dealer 'asked' Rs.1000 for it. I thought why not buy a new one, so came back. Is the relay available in auto stores or only with ford?

Last edited by ramzsys : 17th March 2012 at 16:41.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 06:26   #122
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Catalyst, i went to Ukkadam market for the resistor(just to check) and that resistor also did not start the slow speed when Ac was switched on. Then i managed to get a scrap fan's relay. When i used that, the slow speed fan started with the Ac. The dealer 'asked' Rs.1000 for it. I thought why not buy a new one, so came back. Is the relay available in auto stores or only with ford?

yes try in alagendra auto ghandipuram, I am from CBE but been some time. The part is the same till 2007 ford ikon so you can try A.S.S. new cost in indirapuram ghaziabad is 1250 INR
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 21:04   #123
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Cross posting from another thread, where I didnt get any replies..

So I have on my radar an Ikon 1.6nxt (dec 2004), I am yet to see the car in detail, had a look from outside the car as the owner was not home when I dropped in..I have some observations and questions...

1. Front left fog-lamp missing (there is just a hole in the bumper now that is)
2. The driver seat is torn with the sponge all visible (it think its the stock seat with no cover...the seats were black )
3. The tyres are pirelli p400 Aquamile 175/65 R14. Is it the stock size? If not, is it a correct fit?? The condition of tyres seems fine.
4. Is the 2004 Ford ikon 1.6nxt fitted with a rocam engine or not?


Ford Ikon lovers/owners please comment. Thanks
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 08:21   #124
BHPian
 
Damu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
So I have on my radar an Ikon 1.6nxt (dec 2004)..I have some observations and questions...
I'll try to answer your queries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
1. Front left fog-lamp missing (there is just a hole in the bumper now that is)
Should be available. 2004 Ikons came with imported fogs (and headlamps) that were expensive, but later on parts were localised and became half the cost. For example, the rear lamp cluster which I replaced in my Ikon dropped 50% in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
2. The driver seat is torn with the sponge all visible (it think its the stock seat with no cover...the seats were black )
I guess this can be fixed by a good upholsterer. But if you're serious about buying, check on getting an original Ikon seat. Ikon seats are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
3. The tyres are pirelli p400 Aquamile 175/65 R14. Is it the stock size? If not, is it a correct fit?? The condition of tyres seems fine.
Sorry, I don't remember the tyre size, but 14" wheel dia is right. (The Flair and 1.3 had 13" if I am right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
4. Is the 2004 Ford ikon 1.6nxt fitted with a rocam engine or not?
Yes.

If you're thinking of buying, I would advise you to get it checked at a Ford ASC. BTW, any idea what is the odo reading?

Hope the above helps! Good luck!
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 09:12   #125
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Actually I went ahead and bought it for 70k. Admittedly Its not a car in good condition, and I have given it for service at a bosch service centre.

The odo reads 64k (it maybe even 1.64, since the odo has only 5 digits I guess).

Now the Bosch guys have replaced some parts, and none of them are ford original, as they are saying it's not available in the market. However, they assured that these parts are the best available, so gave the go ahead.

The major problem with the car was a shot silencer and they replaced the parts for 4k.

Now the major concern is the engine noise according to them. I know that 1.6 rocams are really really loud, but they are saying the engine might be having some serious issue. I dont entirely believe them since they might have no experience with this motor. So my question is, s the engine that loud, and is it normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post

If you're thinking of buying, I would advise you to get it checked at a Ford ASC. BTW, any idea what is the odo reading?

Hope the above helps! Good luck!
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 07:41   #126
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Actually I went ahead and bought it for 70k. Admittedly Its not a car in good condition, and I have given it for service at a bosch service centre.

The odo reads 64k (it maybe even 1.64, since the odo has only 5 digits I guess).

Now the Bosch guys have replaced some parts, and none of them are ford original, as they are saying it's not available in the market. However, they assured that these parts are the best available, so gave the go ahead.

The major problem with the car was a shot silencer and they replaced the parts for 4k.

Now the major concern is the engine noise according to them. I know that 1.6 rocams are really really loud, but they are saying the engine might be having some serious issue. I dont entirely believe them since they might have no experience with this motor. So my question is, s the engine that loud, and is it normal?
Yes Ikon Engines are are louder than the usual engines around due to Chain cam and 8 valves and hydraulic lifters. Not all cars with this setup is loud but due to cost cutting at the Brazil plant it became real loud. As long as there are no bearing noises you are good. Source - Driving a 1.6 ZXI daily driver
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 10:23   #127
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Thanks. The engine turned out to have some problems, the sleeve had worn off a the ends, one connecting rod bearing was also worn out.

Had to do an engine rebuild with new pistons, sleeves, even the crankshaft had to be replaced. The engine is still loud, but seems normal to me. There are still some problems with the car. Thinking of taking it to the A S S to get it solved. By the way, the work has been carried out by Hiruchi motors, a Bosch service centre here in vadodara. I guess I will start my own thread with my (not so good till now) ownership experiences sometime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Yes Ikon Engines are are louder than the usual engines around due to Chain cam and 8 valves and hydraulic lifters. Not all cars with this setup is loud but due to cost cutting at the Brazil plant it became real loud. As long as there are no bearing noises you are good. Source - Driving a 1.6 ZXI daily driver
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 21:18   #128
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Thanks. The engine turned out to have some problems, the sleeve had worn off a the ends, one connecting rod bearing was also worn out.

Had to do an engine rebuild with new pistons, sleeves, even the crankshaft had to be replaced. The engine is still loud, but seems normal to me. There are still some problems with the car. Thinking of taking it to the A S S to get it solved. By the way, the work has been carried out by Hiruchi motors, a Bosch service centre here in vadodara. I guess I will start my own thread with my (not so good till now) ownership experiences sometime soon!

How much did the rebuild come to? How much had your engine run? The Rocam is quite a tough engine. I can fix the icon especially as I have taken special interest in this car. Please do start your thread or maybe an ikon thread.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 11:40   #129
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Since I also did some other work unrelated to the engine rebuild, I cant give you exact figures, but it is definitely in the region of 30-35k. Is it fine?

This car seems to be a money pit . But the torque in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear is very good, especially in the city, where you can zoom past vehicles (costlier ones at that) with ease!

The car still seems unfinished, I have to fix some things:

1. The tyres, which I thought were 'fine' , have sidewall cracks on two of them! I had to resort to putting a tube in one of them for the time being! If I indeed go for a tyre change, what would you recommend?

I need Low road Noise (the road noise replicates an aircraft noise after 90kmph), low wear, comfort and low cost

2. The suspension needs some attending to. It creaks on bad roads, and on the highway, there is some sway at high speeds. What would be the cost of a suspension overhaul and should I do it at the Ford ASC only?

3. Finally, the bodywork needs to be mended, there are small dents, scratches etc. Curiously, the gap between the bonnet and the headlamps/grille is too much and is not symmetrical. I think the car was involved in some frontal impact before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
How much did the rebuild come to? How much had your engine run? The Rocam is quite a tough engine. I can fix the icon especially as I have taken special interest in this car. Please do start your thread or maybe an ikon thread.
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 12:06   #130
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Since I also did some other work unrelated to the engine rebuild, I cant give you exact figures, but it is definitely in the region of 30-35k. Is it fine?

This car seems to be a money pit . But the torque in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear is very good, especially in the city, where you can zoom past vehicles (costlier ones at that) with ease!

The car still seems unfinished, I have to fix some things:

1. The tyres, which I thought were 'fine' , have sidewall cracks on two of them! I had to resort to putting a tube in one of them for the time being! If I indeed go for a tyre change, what would you recommend?

I need Low road Noise (the road noise replicates an aircraft noise after 90kmph), low wear, comfort and low cost

2. The suspension needs some attending to. It creaks on bad roads, and on the highway, there is some sway at high speeds. What would be the cost of a suspension overhaul and should I do it at the Ford ASC only?

3. Finally, the bodywork needs to be mended, there are small dents, scratches etc. Curiously, the gap between the bonnet and the headlamps/grille is too much and is not symmetrical. I think the car was involved in some frontal impact before.
Road Noise - Renew Lower arms and Tie rods and wheel bearing <Back suspension> Suspension arm bushing Total Cost at Kashmere gate delhi 12k. A.S.S - Dont have the guts to try.


Aircraft Noise - Check if the resonance box and airfilter are fitted tight. Most of the ikons i repair do not have a resonance box fitted.

Tyres - have to get new ones , cracked tyres can burst anytime,
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:06   #131
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Catalyst, i went to Ukkadam market for the resistor(just to check) and that resistor also did not start the slow speed when Ac was switched on. Then i managed to get a scrap fan's relay. When i used that, the slow speed fan started with the Ac. The dealer 'asked' Rs.1000 for it. I thought why not buy a new one, so came back. Is the relay available in auto stores or only with ford?

Hi , I have attached the Antenna manual from the workshop manual. This is with reference to your PM . I could not attach it in the PM.
Attached Files
File Type: docx antenna.docx (156.0 KB, 224 views)
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:55   #132
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Hi mates I have bought a ford ikon 1.6 nxt 2004 model done just 18k which is like brand new yesterday.
This is my 13th car in last 8 years but first time trying a ford.
Let me see how it goes. Are the ford fans still active here?
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:05   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi mates I have bought a ford ikon 1.6 nxt 2004 model done just 18k which is like brand new yesterday.
Are you sure about the mileage? You can check it with tyre condition and service bills(A visit to ford ASC) .

And if you don't mind saying, what was the price you paid?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:56   #134
BHPian
 
Tornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Yes all 5 tyres have feb 2004 stamp and still good thread is there.
Interiors are like brand new and also the engine feel is very good.
Even the plastic covers come in new car and the first aid kit and other stuff s are there intact.
I got it from a trusted source and it was checked by technicians of a famous certified used car showroom.
Write to me for more details - pushmeamail@gmail.com
Regards
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 21:40   #135
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

I am having coolant problems in my ford ikon 1.6 the coolant turned from red to brown, do you have solution.
Dhruv Shetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement for Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI NXT What NEXT? vb-san Sedans 58 1st February 2012 19:47
ICE for Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt Swift_ICE In-Car Entertainment 15 26th July 2010 13:28
ford fiesta SXI after Ford IKON nxt amolathalye Sedans 10 24th February 2009 10:19
Hello..I am from Mumbai owning FORD Ikon 1.6 Nxt daudani Introduce yourself 4 12th February 2009 18:50
2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt repeated ECM Fuse blowout 1100D Technical Stuff 13 22nd February 2007 22:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks