Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th October 2005, 06:34   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default zen:60k review

hey guys just thought about posting reviews on all my rides since most of them have done a lot of kms .
THE CAR:
maruti zen lx mpfi
yr.of purchase:2001
colour:metallic blue(the colour which the new indica v2's have.dont remember the exact name)
kms logged:59,829kms to be exact
the car has no power steering or power windows or any other luxury apart from hvac.
INTERIORS:
well the car came with fabric upholstery.but one year back i put pu seat covers in a combination of grey and black to match the interiors.also a stanley progrip steering cover in the same combination.i also got the the centre console,instrument console,glove box,ashtray,a/c vents,interior door handles painted silver(something like the zen carbon and steel) but this was before the zen carbon and steel were launched.
EXTERIORS:
i dont like the car's colour for the simple reason that it attracts too much of dirt.otherwise the car looks pretty sporty(unlike other colours).i also got teflon coating done to preserve the shine of the car.and the car gets regularly waxed once every month.its very difficult to make out that the car is approx.4yrs old.
ADD-ONS:
since the car was riding on 12" steel wheels,i got them upgraded to 13" with hypersilver finish alloys by kspeed.i bought them for 16000 for a set of five.the alloys have a slight offset and the car now looks wider with a sportier stance.the tyres are 145/70 r13 as anything bigger would foul with the wheel arches.the car had black bumpers but that had been painted body coloured the day i took delivery from the showroom itself.
ENTERTAINMENT:
well i was never too fond of very loud music but for the sake of sound clarity i installed a pioneer deh5750 cd-mp3 player.also installed 6"x9" kenwood oval speakers,a pioneer 12" subwoofer,alpine 4channel amp,4" round speakers in the front doors,pioneer 12 cd changer,a pair of pioneer tweeters in the front on the dashboard.the rear speakers and the subwoofer are enclosed in a wooden box placed in the boot.
MODS:
when the car was nearing 35k,i decided to put a k&n filter.opted for an extreme high flow filter(conical shaped) without the air intake box.i also got a free flow exhaust installed right from the headers to the tail pipe.catcon was obviously removed.i was very happy with the sound and the pick up increase that the k&n gave me.it cost me 4000 but it was all worth it.
now coming to the review:
the car is nearing 60k and its age has started showing despite of regular servicing after every 5000kms.the interior body panels have started squeaking.the ride is nothing to talk about.every bump and pothole is very pronounced,more so after shifting to 13" wheels.the handling is pretty good considering there is no power steering.but its not so difficult to turn it at standstill.have loved maruti for the simple reason that ass is amazing and spare parts cost is very low....a routine service costing me no more than 1700 bucks.i am pretty pleased with the car as it has never broken down.the electrical systems are still functioning properly.the a/c is decent even though it takes some time to cool down the cabin in the delhi summers wherein the temp. touches 47 deg. celcius.the car is pretty powerful and very nimble in the city.thats where it belongs.take it out on the highway and the lightness of the car at high speeds feels pronounced.it has constantly returned 12-14 kmpl in the city with the highest being 22 on the highways at a cruising speed of 70kmph.the exterior body of the car is pretty light and a heavy person resting on the car causes the body to bend in.i would have preferred the car to have a better ride quality but thats where maruti doesnt score too well(excuse swift and baleno).the cabin is not too big or tall compared to its rivals.the car is better advised for those who drive alone and dont have to worry about carrying their families.5 people in the car and the cabin starts feeling very cramped.,the pick up goes down,the a/c takes its own time to cool the cabin.despite of all its flaws somehow i still manage to overlook them because in the end,when it comes down to bumper-to-bumper traffic....it rules(atleast in my world).the design is more proportionate and doesnt have a love it or hate it looks.and after the engine add ons or mods the peppiness of the car has increased even more.overall,i am pretty happy with the car and have not regretted the decision of buying it in the first place.since its been 4 yrs,im planning to sell it off and go for a honda city vtec.lets see what happens.but the zen will always have a special place in my heart........
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 20:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hellspawn.
The car looks real nice. Well maintained.
Nice review. Had a zen, similar specs to yours. 125k km, lots of rattles and finally sold.
A Vtec would be a nice addition to the accord and ikon and Siena.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 20:15   #3
BHPian

hey thats a neat car man....I also own a zen and I love the way she moves..
Pls post some pics of teh interiors that u painted silver .....
also how much did u spend on the exhaust and what increase or decrease did u get in FE before and after fitting the k&n and exhaust?
also the performance gain!
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 01:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What brand exhuast did you put in?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 19:02   #5
BHPian

we got a zen too..third in a row we love it this much.. this one is a may 2000 mpfi version..clocked 1,20,000kms+ now..
its now beginnin to spit a little smoke.. (coz d way i rip her? ) but still returns around 12.5kmpl in delhi traffic conditions.. its still goin on n on..
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 19:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

nice intro dude.i have a zen too infact i just started using it a lot.mine how ever is a 1997 carb zen but still it handles great and no rattles uptill now.its convinent to use in the city but id prefer the baleno any day.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 01:20   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
What brand exhuast did you put in?
well i got the exhaust custom made from performance auto-it deals in preparing rally cars fot the desert storm,raid de himalaya,autocross etc.the owner of the shop is one of the officials and a member of northern motorsport.so didnt question the guy too much on any particular brand...just asked him to put the best stuff available.
Old 15th December 2005, 01:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice review,man. I hope u work on ur accord review since we have no ownership reports on the accord and many of us need it very badly.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 02:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice review hellspawn. I like your alloys. They go a long way in enhancing the looks and appeal of the car.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 16:45   #10
BHPian

Nice review and it looks like a pretty good car even after 60k km. Like the alloys as well.
sjcherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 03:02   #11
BANNED

thanks guys for appreciating my little beauty...its an honour considering the fact that it comes from t-bhp members...half the battle is won.n i wud love to post an accord review only if my dad wud let me drive it more often...hehehe
Old 19th December 2005, 03:16   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
how much did u spend on the exhaust and what increase or decrease did u get in FE before and after fitting the k&n and exhaust?
also the performance gain!
It cost me 6500 for the tuned headers and 6000 for the exhaust along with the mufflers.the diameter of the exhaust pipe was increased by 1.5" over the stock dia.the catcon and the stock muffler were replaced by custom built mufflers(mild steel and not stainless steel).add 1000bucks for installation.well after the initial days of putting the k&n and exhaust i wudnt get more than 9-10kmpl...later i related it to the fact that i wud be redlining it in every gear....imagine dragging the 3rd gear to 110kmph n u get the picture.all this to just hear the induction noise from the k&n and a howl from the exhaust....if motoring nirvana exists..this was it.after a few weeks of frequent visits to the petrol pump...i tamed down and then came the f.e.run.if i drive sensibly,for rs.500 worth of fuel(10.45ltrs),i get to drive 170kms.that works out to 16.2kmpl.that too in city but widout a/c.before k&n n the exhaust i cudnt better 14kmpl.the performanc gain is that the engine feels more responsive n takes off like a scalded cat wen u floor the throttle.hope i answered ur query n i dont regret spending it cos it was all worth it.

Last edited by hellspawn : 19th December 2005 at 03:20.