Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th July 2010, 13:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

I am being asked by many people both online and offline, about the Swift's new suspension setup, so thought I would clarify here..

No, the ride with the tweaked suspension is still not what you would call as "comfortable". You will still know everything that the car is going over. Though not as jarringly as before, by a slight margin. But a Vista/Figo it aint.

But you dont buy a Swift for its ride quality. You buy one for its delightful handling, sweet engine , great FE and a bucketload of features .
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 13:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Sajo

Congrats on the purchase.

I was told that the due to auto ac in ZXI the mileage compare to Vxi/Lxi would be tad less.Is that true?

OT: Even i expect MAruti to provide the ZXI with electrical OVRM.I actually thought that Zxi come with one

Come on maruti its high time,Even Wagon R comes with E-OVRM and swift cost much more that WR
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 14:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I was told that the due to auto ac in ZXI the mileage compare to Vxi/Lxi would be tad less.Is that true?

OT: Even i expect MAruti to provide the ZXI with electrical OVRM.I actually thought that Zxi come with one
Yes, even in my personal experience, I am getting the same mileage as those in the family who own the 1.3 VXIs.
I think its down to the fact that I leave the AC to about 18-20 Degrees depending upon the time of the day, and also because I have no sun films on.

It could also be because of the wider tyres on the ZXi as compared to the VXi/LXi.

Yes, the EOVRM is something Maruti has skimped upon, especially since its own stablemates like the Wagon R and competition like the Figo have them. I think markets other than India get them too!
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Rattles

Yep. Mine have started.

There is a faint but distinct noise from somewhere along the front passenger door and some slight noise from the passenger seat belt assembly as well whenever I go over road undulations, which happen to be frequently these days because of the monsoons.
I guess there is just no escaping them darned rattles in the Swift.
On the other hand, FE seems to have crept up to 14+ in the city with 100% AC and around 25% bumper to bumper first gear crawl.
Old 24th July 2010, 10:24   #65
BHPian

Haha! They have started for us also. A noise is coming somewhere from front door/ORVM. Our car has now completed around 3700 km.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 19:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
A noise is coming somewhere from front door/ORVM.

The front doors seem to be particularly rattle prone. I gave it a careful once over today, shaking/tapping each portion by hand to see of it was the culprit, but nothing seemed visible to the naked eye.
Looks like I will have to live with them till the next service is up.
Old 26th July 2010, 01:57   #67
BHPian

Wow, rattles so soon on a brand new swift. Thats really awful for Maruti Suzuki to not give good quality and material to its best selling hot hatch and I hate them for that.

I wonder if I should reconsider my decision to buy swift which I have booked. Can anyone of you shed light on rattles in Ritz as compared to Swift. Personally on my observation I found that the Ritz interior quality is much much better than swift, although not sure about the rattles in Ritz.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 07:26   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Wow, rattles so soon on a brand new swift. Thats really awful for Maruti Suzuki to not give good quality and material to its best selling hot hatch and I hate them for that.

I wonder if I should reconsider my decision to buy swift which I have booked. Can anyone of you shed light on rattles in Ritz as compared to Swift. Personally on my observation I found that the Ritz interior quality is much much better than swift, although not sure about the rattles in Ritz.
It's a fact that Ritz interior quality is better. Also it seemed to me while test driving both that Ritz rattles less. But decided to go for a swift, as it was the dream. But recently driven one of my friend's 6 month old Ritz. It was rattling like anything on bad roads. But believe me, in both these cars, rattlings are not very prominent and appears only on bad roads. Both give great ride quality. I personally support swift though.
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 07:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

It is true rattles are common in Indian cars and the most irritating part of driving. Not only Maruti cars but soon it starts in Tata cars too. What these two companies are going to do to solve the rattle issue. Even my Ritz also start to rattle. Every service one or the other rattling has to be fixed.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 08:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
That's not a correct statement. I also have a tata indica and that does not rattle. However, I can not claim that this tata car is rattle free because i don't have much data on this.
Now, do you have enough data to claim this on tata's car? If I remember correctly almost no one claimed tata as rattle king. But, most of these owner cursed tata for A**, fit&finish, handling and in some case reliability(?).
mohandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 10:10   #71
agm
BHPian

Most of the tata car i know rattles like anything

Swift is undisputed rattling king , i own Swift VDI and quite fedup because of the rattling

@Sajo - Thanks mate for the updates .We are planning to get a new Swift vxi abs , and this thread will surely help us decide .
agm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 12:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

@All : I guess the Swift rattling issue is a bit blown up , but that was okay (and expected). 90% of the Marutis I have been in the recent past had rattles to varying degrees.
As a Tata owner since 2000, I can say that the rattling is not more or less than any of the Tata cars we have owned.
I guess its just a bit more obvious in this case because the car is so wonderfully refined otherwise. It does not shake or shudder or rattle except on bad roads.
Besides, the sheer fun of driving this car more than makes up for the rattling. And there is no FE tradeoff too! :-)

Comparable rattling I have seen in the following cars :
- OHC (Admittedly, it wasnt that new).
- NHC (quite new)
- Estilo (<2000 kms on the odo)
- Esteem (new)
- Indica/go.
- Eeco (totally new).

I filled fuel today morning and was happy to see an incredible mileage of 16.28kmpl. 100% AC. And in average Pune traffic.

Last edited by sajo : 26th July 2010 at 12:21.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
That's not a correct statement. I also have a tata indica and that does not rattle. However, I can not claim that this tata car is rattle free because i don't have much data on this.
Now, do you have enough data to claim this on tata's car? If I remember correctly almost no one claimed tata as rattle king. But, most of these owner cursed tata for A**, fit&finish, handling and in some case reliability(?).
Being owned a Xeta for 4+ years, I can support his claim. After 4 years, my car was rattling from all around. May be the condition of roads here in Kerala was also a catalyst. This was also one of the reasons why I ruled out another Tata while looking for a change. But in a 3 lakh car I was not reluctant to accept slight rattles, because I've paid only that much. But when it happens on a 6 lakh priced car, it counts.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:08   #74
BHPian

So, its fact that both Ritz and Swift rattles on certain roads. However, its not true that all cars rattle on Indian roads. An eurpoean car would not in even severe condtions. I have had pleasure to own a Palio which would not rattle even 1 bit, same goes with Fords well.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
So, its fact that both Ritz and Swift rattles on certain roads. However, its not true that all cars rattle on Indian roads. An eurpoean car would not in even severe condtions. I have had pleasure to own a Palio which would not rattle even 1 bit, same goes with Fords well.
Especially I've felt that most of the Hyundai makes are also almost rattle free. Again, when we say rattle it also depends on personal tolerance limits. For me, even a slight noise from the dashboard is a rattle. Why I went for Swift was of course for the proven engine and M.A.S.S. Also the FE and performance always makes me feel happy even when it rattles. I got an average FE of 19.3 till date (50-50 city and highway drive with full time A/C). Again I've read some where on T-BHP it self that those who got their doors damped are feeling considerable decrease in rattles. I am also planning to give it a try sometime in the near future.