Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th July 2010, 14:45   #76
BHPian

Congrats Sajo-you have convinced me to go in for the latest swift (my 4th car) an upgrade over my wagonR.
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:36   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Especially I've felt that most of the Hyundai makes are also almost rattle free. Again, when we say rattle it also depends on personal tolerance limits. For me, even a slight noise from the dashboard is a rattle. Why I went for Swift was of course for the proven engine and M.A.S.S. Also the FE and performance always makes me feel happy even when it rattles. I got an average FE of 19.3 till date (50-50 city and highway drive with full time A/C). Again I've read some where on T-BHP it self that those who got their doors damped are feeling considerable decrease in rattles. I am also planning to give it a try sometime in the near future.
Why can't Maruti produce doors with heavy built and thud like Punto, Figo or even a Polo? It would solve most rattling issues to extent of 90%. What extraordinary those co's do to these doors? Also I know hyundai doors are not that typical thud or heavy build but yes they never rattle for sure. Be it santro, i10 or accent or any model.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Congrats Sajo-you have convinced me to go in for the latest swift (my 4th car) an upgrade over my wagonR.

You mean the next generation Swift ? I guess that isnt due till 2nd half of next year according to a dealer.
The current gen is also not a bad car at all, even though its the oldest amongst the pretty competitive bunch.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:58   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Why can't Maruti produce doors with heavy built and thud like Punto, Figo or even a Polo? It would solve most rattling issues to extent of 90%. What extraordinary those co's do to these doors? Also I know hyundai doors are not that typical thud or heavy build but yes they never rattle for sure. Be it santro, i10 or accent or any model.
I think the issue is with the way they put on the plastics on those doors. That is why damping helps a lot. Also in my case, when I got back my car after first service there was not even a trace of lubrication on any of the door locks including boot door. It created lot of rattling. Once put grease, it faded away. So my conclusion is the quality of plastics used. I've raised this as an issue while giving the feedback. Heavy built doesn't always help I think. If that was the case then my Xeta never would've rattled I will be driving a damped swift this weekend for a family trip. Will decide on that after the trip. Lets see if its worth the cost.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 16:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

How exactly does one go about damping and what is the approximate cost for it ?

Also , what do they damp it with ? Foam ?
Old 26th July 2010, 16:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How exactly does one go about damping and what is the approximate cost for it ?

Also , what do they damp it with ? Foam ?
Yes, I would also like to see some pictorial presentation of it and how can damping solve rattle. I've gone through some threads in mod's section of damping but could not see that much pictures.
sameer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 17:27   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Yes, I would also like to see some pictorial presentation of it and how can damping solve rattle. I've gone through some threads in mod's section of damping but could not see that much pictures.
Have spoke to a couple of accessories shop people. Only one of them told me, they've done it on a couple of swifts. Others were ignorant about the term damping itself. The amount quoted was around 6K for 5 doors. They told they have used some professional damping material, forgot the exact name though. I was not so confident about the installer. So, was a bit reluctant to do it at that time. Now, I am in the process of finding out a good installer for damping in my city (Kochi). Regarding the rattling, I think the extra layer of sound absorbing material between the plastic and the metal will absorb vibrations. That may result in lesser vibrations and hence lesser rattles. Will confirm this once I drive my cousin's damped swift. Regarding the pictorial threads, I've seen one on the DIY thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ttle-free.html (DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free)

Its mentioned there about the reduced rattles after the damping.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

It had to happen someday.
I was patiently waiting in the morning traffic jam in Hinjewadi on my way to work, when a black Pulsar guy (MH12 DJ 5689/5) rammed into my car from the behind. I was completely at a standstill for more than 30 seconds when this happened as nothing around me was moving.
He didnt even wait for a second and zoomed off without waiting or even glancing behind taking advantage of the very heavy traffic. The road was jam packed with cars on both sides, so I couldnt even get down and inspect.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:07   #84
BHPian

@sajo: Thats sad to hear! How is the damage like?

Coming to the topic of damping: I had the opportunity to check the rattles in my Swift after 19k km as I had to remove the usual items in the car before giving it for service. To my surprise, what I found was that there is a faint thud sound from near the centre of the dashboard near the clock. This sound is barely audible. Apart from this, there are no rattles whatsoever!

The only thing done for this was during the installation of the speakers 2 years ago.

When installing the stereo and the speakers what satya (of evo fame) had done was paste close-ended foam inside the door pads. Coupled with my somewhat careful driving over bad roads there are no rattles in the car even at almost 20 k km.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 11:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

The damage isnt that visible at the first glance (thankfully), but there is a little nick above the tail lamp.
Seeing my car, a colleague who has come back from the US is convinced that the Swift is the closest amongst hatchbacks to his Civic MT in the US, and he is all set to book one as his first car in India.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
@sajo: Thats sad to hear! How is the damage like?

Coming to the topic of damping: I had the opportunity to check the rattles in my Swift after 19k km as I had to remove the usual items in the car before giving it for service. To my surprise, what I found was that there is a faint thud sound from near the centre of the dashboard near the clock. This sound is barely audible. Apart from this, there are no rattles whatsoever!

The only thing done for this was during the installation of the speakers 2 years ago.

When installing the stereo and the speakers what satya (of evo fame) had done was paste close-ended foam inside the door pads. Coupled with my somewhat careful driving over bad roads there are no rattles in the car even at almost 20 k km.
No serious rattles after 20K is a great news for every swift owner. May be the treatment you've done to the door pads have done the trick. I am having rattling from the door pads only. And a slight vibration from some where near the center ac vent at low rpms. It fades away at higher rpms. Interested to know more about the treatment you've done to the door pads.

Quote:
The damage isnt that visible at the first glance (thankfully), but there is a little nick above the tail lamp.
Seeing my car, a colleague who has come back from the US is convinced that the Swift is the closest amongst hatchbacks to his Civic MT in the US, and he is all set to book one as his first car in India.
Thank GOD that the damage is not so much. The most thing I always fear on roads are two wheelers. When they come back with the huge crash guard and rusty pieces of foot rests, I always feel my heart beating more. The thing which I do while am on over bridges is to stick on the to the extreme left, so that they can't get in between. It did the trick till now, GOD know when is that bad day
Old 14th August 2010, 20:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Default Self fixing rattles anyone..?

For the past two or three days, my door rattle seems to have fixed itself. Its silent as tomb even while going through pretty rough patches. Heck, even the cobbled surface of a part of my office parking doesnt induce it. I am not celebrating yet though, because who knows, it may reappear just as suddenly as they went away.

On the other hand, if the Pune Municipal Corporation decides to carry out the survey of the number of pot holes in Pune city, they should use the Swift for this endeavour, just to ensure they dont miss any. LOL!

I have covered just 2000 kms till date, with the FE figures as :
13.5 - 1st tankful
12.8 - 2nd tankful
16.2 - 3rd tankful.
All figures with AC.

500+ kms into my 4th tankful, the needle is at the quarter mark.
Old 14th August 2010, 22:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
For the past two or three days, my door rattle seems to have fixed itself. Its silent as tomb even while going through pretty rough patches.
What a strange co incidence! The rattle from driver's door area of our car too has vanished by itself!
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 00:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Time for a small update. Three months and perhaps a week or two into my ownership experience.

I am nearing the 2500 km mark, might hit it tomorrow as I swing out of my parking.lol.

The more I drive this car, the more I absolutely adore the way it moves on perfect roads.
I adore its sweet willingness to rev.
I adore its nimbleness on the highway.
I adore the sheer flickability built into the chassis+steering combo.

Low speed driveability is not bad at all, and I dont need to ride the clutch as much as I used to in my previous family cars. Slot it in second from a near standstill, take your foot off the a-pedal completely, and you still move along fairly decently!

At 1 AM in the night after returning to the office parking, to find it glowing like a red beacon in the deserted lot I struggled to spot a space in the morning, I just go "awwwww". On the way back on the relatively empty roads, I give it some beans - to be returned with some giggle inducing acceleration. During those moments one tends to forget all the demanding clients, stupid deadlines and all the other things that went wrong during the course of the very long day. Because theres one thing is going absolutely right, and thats the way this car just "flows" along with the road.

All this makes me a bit sad, because next year it will be gone. To be replaced by a new model. I like it. A lot.
But its also going to be wider. And longer. And porkier.
I do hope the new car, in its bid to address the issues of the older one, does not end up loosing the sheer fluidity of the older one.
Old 29th August 2010, 04:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

@sajo that was a nice and succinct update.The car does pull your heartstrings!
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote