Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th October 2010, 19:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Hello Sajo, I was in Goa for 4 days and got the swift ZXI booked at Aryaman Sai. The color is Mettalic Sunlight Copper. Was impressed by their service as they arranged the test drive at home. The showroom is around 15 kms from where I am. The K series engine is a scorcher and the ride and handling is immaculate. I'll be taking delivery after the 15th December when I go back again.
Superb! Congratulations DKW. I had booked the Sunlight Copper also, but unfortunately wasnt available, so settled for Red, which was the only colour available.

After experiencing this engine, The petrol engine the Figo (which was also under consideration by me) was a bit staid, and inspite of a 1 lakh rupee (almost) , I decided to steer clear of it. It beats the Swift hands down in the ride quality department though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
After the test drive there were no doubts in considering any other car.
Just wanted to know from you what are these sump guards? I spoke to the service advisor but he didnt know much about it. You have mentioned it in this forum as providing underbody protection. I'd like to add them too. Kindly advise and waiting for some more updates.
Cheers.
I dont know much about them ,but Sump guards are metallic plate like thingies screwed to the bottom of a car for protection.
I dont have them on my car. What I do have is the "underbody protection package" , which is a sort of chemical treatment that all dealers peddle. I am doubtful about its effectiveness.

My car will touch 4k KMs shortly, where it might remain for some time, because I have been asked to go abroad for some work assignment next week, dunno for how long.

Can other Swift K-series owners tell at what engine speeds their car reaches 80kmph on a flat road? Mine takes about 2200 rpm (with AC).
I have been reading about the weak Swift clutch for sometime on the forum, and I am paranoid about it.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 20:29   #107
BHPian

Will ask dad to check the rpm. Problem is, here in mumbai the car hardly touches 80 kph! Btw, in which gear does your engine speed at 80 kph reach 2200 rpm? That info would be helpful.

I checked again, idle rpm is indeed 600-700. At idle, one cannot even notice that the engine is running. The engine is a gem.

Edit: But the rattles are annoying! Our front driver door rattle has returned, and a new one has sprang up near windscreen on passenger side.

Last edited by AkMar : 18th October 2010 at 20:31.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 11:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

^^80kmph, 5th Gear, just over 2000 RPM (with AC).

And Yes, I agree about the rattles. They are so darned irritating. My mom says that it feels like an "old" car, for the lack of words to describe how it feels now.
Here are the list of thingies which rattle in mine :

- Front seatbelt assembly. (Both of them)
- Front passenger door.
- Tailgate.

I must add though that this strictly over bad roads. Its unfortunate that we encounter them rather frequently in Pune.

I had given this feedback to Maruti when they had sent me a mail (of the postal variety) asking for the list of issues faced by the car. They had a whole section dedicated to squeaks and rattles, so thats saying something.
Havent heard from them since though.
Old 5th November 2010, 19:27   #109
BHPian

Hi sajo,

I checked in our car. The rpm is the same (2200) at 80 kph with AC in 5th gear.
Old 6th November 2010, 18:09   #110
Senior - BHPian

Mine is *slightly* lower than 2200 rpm. But thats okay.

I am currently in Europe for some time, and I see quite a few "new" Swifts lined up for delivery (on car carriers, trains etc) , and the deep red in that model looks SMASHING, to say the least.
If we had that colour when I went for mine, it would have been definitely the one I would go for.

Slightly OT , 100% of the Swifts I have seen in Belgium/Holland carry the DDis badge. Seems like the petrol model doesnt sell at all , like India.

By the time I come back to India, the time limit for my 2nd servicing would have been crossed. I hope the dealers are okay with a couple of weeks more, given that its just a in inspection service, and not a true service per se.

Should I insist on an oil change ? Its scheduled at the 10k service, by Maruti.

Last edited by sajo : 6th November 2010 at 18:12.
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Rainy night+darkened driveway+Thick Swift C-Pillars = Big Whumppff.

I was reversing in a narrow area in a darkened place, when an entire narrow tree was invisible behind the C-Pillar.
The result is a biggish dent from the RHS tail lamp to the passenger door. The paint seems to have dulled too.

Advice to all Swift buyers : Get parking sensors, even if they dont really look good.

Is it advisable to have it removed from the M.A.S.S. (given that my car is due for its 2nd scheduled service now) or an outside garage ? I plan to pay it out of my pocket and not claim insurance.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:23   #112
BHPian

Really sad to hear that. At least till the warranty period gets over, I would hesitate to get work done from outside garage.

BTW, the FE never ceases to being a smile on the face. The latest figure of our car is 17.1 kpl , 80% city driving and 20% highway. As dad uses the car, I do not have precise idea of AC usage, but it is above 60-70%.

On the flip side a new rattle has cropped up near the HU/AC controls
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:43   #113
Senior - BHPian

I wince everytime I see that dent... Because it was raining, I couldnt see a thing in the ORVM and because I would have gotten "slightly" wet, I didnt even stick my head out of the open window and look out.

The impact seems to have fixed the tailgate rattle though :P .

Your FE seems to be really good AkMar, your dad must have a light foot (ie, sticks to less than 2500 rpm)+probably not much thick traffic as well.17 Kmpl is an impressive figure for any petrol car!
Mine has settled to around 14kmpl (100% AC, mix of light and heavy traffic).

So the Swift rattles are not limited to the doors...Maybe its your AC vents that are rattling , and not the controls.
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:30   #114
BHPian

@sajo - sad to hear about the damage to your vehicle.
I would advise you to go to MASS for repairing the damage to vehicle.Please use insurance if cost is more than Rs 8000 or if it hurts monthly expenses.

I am getting 9- 10km/l in city with 100% A/C or heater with occasional drive of 3km.I have done only 2000kms in 8 months since I purchased the swift ZXI in march 2010.

BTW, during the second free service the Service advisor had put some FUCON FE coating in the engine.Please could you tell me what is it as I was out of station my father had taken the vehicle for free service and my father on advice of service adviser had done the coating.
FrozeninTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 20:14   #115
BHPian

@sajo
Yes, dad has a very light foot. But can't say the same about traffic. Although the car is driven on western express highway, the traffic is very high. 5-6 lanes in each direction fall short. Many a times it takes half an hour to cover the 9 km distance to his office.

I dont think its the vents that are rattling. The rattle seems to be coming from much lower, probably the empty slot below the HU. The pain is that this particular rattle is not a rattle in the true sense. It goes on and on even on concretised roads. There is nothing kept in the space below HU which eliminates the possibility of rattling due to movement of that object.

Anyway, do update us about the dent.
Old 28th November 2010, 20:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Dropped my car off at MASS (Chowgule) for its 2nd service as well as the denting work.

The estimate I have been given is :

- Dent removal & painting of the entire panel , RHS c-pillar - 3k Rupees. They dont do touch ups.
- RHS tail lamp - 1500 rupees ( which I think is on the higher side)

2nd Servicing :

- Wheel balancing & alignment : 700 bucks. Again which I think is distinctly high.
Old 29th November 2010, 08:03   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
2nd Servicing :

- Wheel balancing & alignment : 700 bucks. Again which I think is distinctly high.
The SA didn't ask us to get wheel alignment and balancing done during our car's 2nd service! How much has your car run? Our car had done only ~3900-4000 km when the 2nd service was done, maybe that is why he did not ask us to do these 2 things. If you car has done 5K km, better ask them to do tyre rotation also. They may do it by default, but we never know, so it is better to be specific

BTW what is the ideal interval for wheel alignment and balancing?

Last edited by AkMar : 29th November 2010 at 08:05.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:50   #118
BHPian

IMO, Rs 700/- for wheel alignment and balancing is cheap when compared to Rs 864/- we paid for wheel alignment and balancing for A-star that to for non alloy wheels.

Also I consider the cost of denting and painting of sajo's swift a bargain .It could easily have been 6000- 7000 rupees if done in Delhi MASS.

@sajo - do post pics of your car after repair.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 29th November 2010 at 09:52. Reason: to correct spelling mistake
FrozeninTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 14:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
I am getting 9- 10km/l in city with 100% A/C or heater with occasional drive of 3km.I have done only 2000kms in 8 months since I purchased the swift ZXI in march 2010.....

BTW, during the second free service the Service advisor had put some FUCON FE coating in the engine.Please could you tell me what is it as I was out of station my father had taken the vehicle for free service and my father on advice of service adviser had done the coating.
9-10kmpl is a bit on the lower side even for the city. Maybe your FE will improve once the car is properly run in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The SA didn't ask us to get wheel alignment and balancing done during our car's 2nd service! How much has your car run ?
Its done ~4500 kms , would have easily been more than that but I was abroad for some time and my parents didnt use the car.

Tyre rotation (I assume!) is default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
IMO, Rs 700/- for wheel alignment and balancing is cheap when compared to Rs 864/- we paid for wheel alignment and balancing for A-star that to for non alloy wheels.

Also I consider the cost of denting and painting of sajo's swift a bargain .It could easily have been 6000- 7000 rupees if done in Delhi MASS.

@sajo - do post pics of your car after repair.
Delhi seems to be expensive! The price you guys pay for buying cars cheaper than the rest of us!

PS : I think the rates (including labour) need to be the same across India for all A.S.S. right ?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:05   #120
Senior - BHPian

Got my car back after servicing and denting yesterday evening.

Total damage including dent removal and painting and balancing/rotation was Rs5300. Dont have the break up right now because they couldnt give me a printed bill yesterday, their systems were down.

They padded up the doors for Rs 13, and the rattles are now gone! It really feels a different car now. It wasnt this silent even on the day I bought it!

I hope this lasts for some time. Will post some pics later on.