Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st December 2010, 14:44   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Got my car back after servicing and denting yesterday evening.

Total damage including dent removal and painting and balancing/rotation was Rs5300. Dont have the break up right now because they couldnt give me a printed bill yesterday, their systems were down.

They padded up the doors for Rs 13, and the rattles are now gone! It really feels a different car now. It wasnt this silent even on the day I bought it!

I hope this lasts for some time. Will post some pics later on.
Wow. Thats some news there. Could you please elaborate on the "padding" done for doors? Also, if possible what's the material used. Hope the answers help a lot of swift owners Rattle is one really bad thing on this car.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 14:55   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Wow. Thats some news there. Could you please elaborate on the "padding" done for doors? Also, if possible what's the material used. Hope the answers help a lot of swift owners Rattle is one really bad thing on this car.

I think the material they used was Foam pads. When I get the bill, I will be able to give a part number & exact description for the same. But yeah, its certainly worth asking your SA to use the same the next time a someone's rattly Swift goes in for servicing.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:11   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I think the material they used was Foam pads. When I get the bill, I will be able to give a part number & exact description for the same. But yeah, its certainly worth asking your SA to use the same the next time a someone's rattly Swift goes in for servicing.
That would be really helpful Sajo. Waiting for your update on the same. I can see the smile on every Swift owner's face
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 16:37   #124
BHPian

Wow. As of now my tiger is not acting cranky but in case she does ..now I know there is a fix.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

xposting from the "lost coupons" thread, which seems to have gone unnoticed.

I got my car back from service yesterday. I had given it to Chowgule's Katraj workshop.

As per the SA's instructions, I had left my service booklet come user manual in the glove compartment of my car when i left it for servicing.
However, when I got the car back yesterday, it was missing. I checked with the SA and he said he would search for it and get back to me.

However he called me up today and told me that he doesnt have it with him and he checked everywhere.

What are my options for the next free servicing (3rd) as well as needing the manual for personal reference ?
Old 6th December 2010, 12:31   #126
BHPian

Try calling the maruti toll free number for help.

I just hope whoever you contact (MASS/helpline or any other mode of contact) doesn't come up with reply "Sir, you only must have misplaced the booklet. Please check again." or "You did not leave the booklet in the car while leaving it at the MASS"
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 12:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

@Akmar : Thankfully, he seems to have found it. On my part though, I am unable to find time to drive all the way to the workshop to fetch the same.

About the rattles , I might add : The aforementioned padding I have on my car may not resolve all of Swift rattling issues.
Because it may still do so from the dashboard/tailgate. I have started to drive very carefully over bumps and undulations. Which means, given Pune's roads, I am driving carefully almost all the time :-) .
A nice consequence of this is inspite of 135+kms after tanking up, the needle resolutely remains at the "F" mark.

If one is careful with the driving (not slow, but just not mad in any way), I think one can easily achieve ARAI type figures from this car.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:03   #128
Senior - BHPian

@Pune's roads...You are not alone Sajo, all of the "Punekars" are with you, Me included. Yet, given the road manners out there, it seems not many try to be careful .

Going to the Katraj workshop is a mix bag. Its a huge facility. And to some parts of Pune, its well connected by the PMPML buses from katraj depot. But otherwise its a bit too far away from the city. I had an Omni that I got from Chowgule and used to service at the Katraj w'shop.

I think it isn't a good idea to leave the service manual with them. Why did they need it anyway? Was the SA a nut? I hope they don't have to look at the manual to service the car . All they should ask for is the coupon and that's it. Better decline from next time.

Enjoy your red devil!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 15:03   #129
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update

A bit of an update.

Tanked her up today, and using the tankful to tankful method, it returned exactly 16.85 kmpl , 100% AC, climate control set to 22 degrees.
I dont know how to classify my route, as it consists of heavy traffic on NH4, followed by some B2B traffic in the city as well. Maybe its just a "mixed cycle".
This is very near its rated & not much advertised 17.5kpl figure. Even in my circle, those with petrol Marutis get pretty much in the region of the rated FEs for their cars.

This engine looooves being revved. It shows great eagerness to pull , even if you put your foot down at 5000 rpm.
And the engine note? Does not sound the least stressed. Infact, the K12 at 5k+ rpm sounds about the same as some of its petrol rivals at 2k. You will run out of safe roads before this engine runs out of its enthusiasm.

Cant wait to see how addition of variable valve timing & consequent bump in power makes a good engine even better in the upcoming new Swift in a few months.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

On her first highway trip for over 500 Kms, I received a satisfactory FE of 20.1 kmpl, 100% AC.
I stick to below 100kmph at all times, with pretty defensive driving. As a highway vehicle, if you ignore the really stiff ride, its an excellent vehicle. With its good dynamics and ready availability of power while overtaking on undivided highways.
I did some changes, mainly, added Garware Classic sun film. Its 50% VLT on the sides and 70% at the back. To tell you the truth, I have noticed only marginal gains in the AC performance , but I am satisfied with the visibility, especially at night.

Attaching a few pics.

As you can see , there is nearly no difference in day time visibility :

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_05671.jpg

The side tints, is this what all Garware films come with ? :

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_05681.jpg

Now with TBHP stickers .

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_056511.jpg

As you can see, you can see right through the rear screen inspite of the film.

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_05661.jpg

And the sides too.

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_057011.jpg

This portion of the car was dented when I hit a tree while reversing at night in the dark. Got it repainted and the dent removed from Maruti. Total damage 3k for the denting/painting + 1500 for the tail lamp, which was cracked but working. I had it replaced because it would take in water during monsoons.

Maruti Swift ZXi (2010) 1.2L K-Series : 7 year update-img_05721.jpg

I also took a small video of the engine note from the inside :

Since it was the first start of the day, it was idling at about 1000 rpm. Would gradually settle to around 800 rpm or less as it warms up.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also took a small video of the engine note from the inside :

Since it was the first start of the day, it was idling at about 1000 rpm. Would gradually settle to around 800 rpm or less as it warms up.
BTW, not all of the above is the engine noise. I placed the camera on the middle part steering wheel, and its upper edge was touching the wheel. So slight vibrations were creeping in the video.

Is there a drastic improvement in FE after filling in premium petrol in their K12 cars ?
Old 10th January 2011, 10:11   #132
BHPian

What a coincidence. We too did our first highway trip last week. The distance covered was around 830 km (overall odo reading is close to 6K now). Yet to get the FE figure as we haven't refuelled adter returning from the trip (tank was filled around 200 km into the trip). But I am not expecting 20 kpl as the entire trip was in Konkan & the interior roads had an unending supply of climbs and descents. AC usage was around 80%.

Got a few pics of the car too. Still editing them. Maybe I will write a travelogue with pics if time permits and I gain enough confidence in my writing skills

The highlight was transporting the car to and fro across a creek in a boat The front bumper scraped the ground once in the process.

As you mentioned, the engine is a delight on the highways. Overtaking is fun. I was very defensive though while overtaking. Two reasons: the car was new & it was my first drive on 2 lane highway.

The car met expectations as far as rattles are concerned. It was emitting all sorts of noises on the uneven district roads of Konkan. Some of the rattles which I can recollect: near stereo HU (present before trip also), near front windscreen on passenger side, front passenger doorpad, left hand side C pillar.

Apart from the usual plastic rattles, there is one sound that concerns me. This sound seems to come from the LHS front wheel area. It is a knocking kind of sound & quite prominent. 99 times out of 100, This sound comes only when the car is on a bad patch of road and the steering is turned left. Any idea what could this sound be?
Old 10th January 2011, 11:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
What a coincidence. We too did our first highway trip last week. The distance covered was around 830 km (overall odo reading is close to 6K now). Yet to get the FE figure as we haven't refuelled adter returning from the trip (tank was filled around 200 km into the trip). But I am not expecting 20 kpl as the entire trip was in Konkan & the interior roads had an unending supply of climbs and descents. AC usage was around 80%.

Got a few pics of the car too. Still editing them. Maybe I will write a travelogue with pics if time permits and I gain enough confidence in my writing skills

The highlight was transporting the car to and fro across a creek in a boat The front bumper scraped the ground once in the process.

Apart from the usual plastic rattles, there is one sound that concerns me. This sound seems to come from the LHS front wheel area. It is a knocking kind of sound & quite prominent. 99 times out of 100, This sound comes only when the car is on a bad patch of road and the steering is turned left. Any idea what could this sound be?
Please post a travelogue and lots and lots of pics!! I think the FE wont disappoint you much. Or at all.
Did the clicking/knocking sound start after it landed awkwardly while unloading from the boat? Please post pics of the ferry ride also. It would be advisable to have it checked out by MASS before it aggravates into something else.

I drove very defensively on the NH9 (Pune-Solapur) as well. The road is bad in many parts, but is flat overall. Never crossed 100kmph and 90% of the time stuck to my self imposed 80kmph limit.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:45   #134
BHPian

The car was tanked up yesterday. Mileage is 19.7 kpl

The sound from front wheel was present before the boat ride as well. There was no awkward landing as such while loading/unloading from boat. The boat had a proper ramp to drive in. Just because of the angle of the ramp, the bumper scraped the ground on one occassion.
Old 12th February 2011, 23:44   #135
BHPian

Sajo, please post more pics of your car, looks really good in red!!
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote