Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th July 2011, 17:53   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Linea 1.4 (E+) - 1 year ownership review

FE update:

12.80 kmpl - Tank full to tank full
13.40 kmpl - As per MID

AC on 100% of the time. This is 80% city driving and 20% highwayish.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 26th July 2011 at 17:54.
Urban_Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 09:17   #137
BHPian

good to see constant updates from your end.

since there has been only fe updates it means that every thing eles has been normal and car is performing well.

keep up the good work and the passion of being a fiatian.
dsr_rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 13:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
good to see constant updates from your end.

since there has been only fe updates it means that every thing eles has been normal and car is performing well.

keep up the good work and the passion of being a fiatian.
Hey DSR. Thanks for your compliment.

Yes things are pretty normal right now. Nothing out of the ordinary, save for an occassional rattle. But in all fairness, she is not being driven only around 800 - 900 kms every month (using company transposrt for my daily commute as my office is now roughly 45 kms one way ........ YUCK!!)

The only thing that I am seeing these days is a bit of RPM fluctuation. It mostly occurs when the car is idle (shifts between 800 - 1000) and if I depress the clutch mid way post release, the RPM goes to around 1500 before it settles back in the 800 - 1000 range.

Let me explain this. Say you are waiting at the lights for the signal to turn green. It does, and you slot the car in 1st gear. Gently begin to release the clutch (and the Linea has a lllooooooonnnnnnngggggg clutch travel) and give it a lil gas. The car in front of you suddenly comes to a halt. U have released the clutch only half way. To halt, you fully depress the clutch and hit the breaks. You see a sudden surge in RPM (1300 - 1500) before it comes back to 800 - 1000.

I plan to have this looked at during my next visit to the A$$ (shudder shudder). Btw, is this RPM behavior normal? If not, what could be the possible cuprits?

Any pointers here would be most helpful.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

FE update:

10.67 kmpl - Tank full to tank full
12.20 kmpl - As per MID

AC on 100% of the time. This is 90% city driving and 10% highwayish with a whole lot of nightmarish traffic jams.

Must say, I am fairly happy with the overall performance of the car thus far (touchwood).

@ Mods - I am once again requesting you to please delete the "1 year" bit out of the thread title.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 9th August 2011 at 18:55.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Let me explain this. Say you are waiting at the lights for the signal to turn green. It does, and you slot the car in 1st gear. Gently begin to release the clutch (and the Linea has a lllooooooonnnnnnngggggg clutch travel) and give it a lil gas. The car in front of you suddenly comes to a halt. U have released the clutch only half way. To halt, you fully depress the clutch and hit the breaks. You see a sudden surge in RPM (1300 - 1500) before it comes back to 800 - 1000.
I am no techie in this matter, but let me try. If I am not wrong, this could be because of the "anti-staller" (or whatever it is called) getting activated. But this will happen only if the brakes are applied before the clutch is fully depressed. If you are sure that you are depressing the clutch fully before you apply brakes, could it be something wrong with the hydraulic mechanism of the clutch?
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 17:31   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
I am no techie in this matter, but let me try. If I am not wrong, this could be because of the "anti-staller" (or whatever it is called) getting activated. But this will happen only if the brakes are applied before the clutch is fully depressed. If you are sure that you are depressing the clutch fully before you apply brakes, could it be something wrong with the hydraulic mechanism of the clutch?
Thanks for your resposne Dev. I am very sure that I hit the brakes only after depressing the clutch. This issue crops up only if I release the clutch half way and then depress it fully.

Am getting worried now, need to have this looked into.

Folks - any further insight will be most appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2011, 00:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The only thing that I am seeing these days is a bit of RPM fluctuation. It mostly occurs when the car is idle (shifts between 800 - 1000) and if I depress the clutch mid way post release, the RPM goes to around 1500 before it settles back in the 800 - 1000 range.

I plan to have this looked at during my next visit to the A$$ (shudder shudder). Btw, is this RPM behavior normal? If not, what could be the possible cuprits?

Any pointers here would be most helpful.
I would say this is normal. Perhaps this is too simplistic, but here's my explanation:
Reason for RPM going up suddenly is because you have released the transmission from the engine at that point. When you do that, the engine suddenly runs 'free' and picks up speed. Just after it does that, the ECU 'realizes' that the engine is not under load, and brings the it back to idle condition by regulating the air-fuel mix.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:38   #143
Senior - BHPian

FE update:

12.63 kmpl - Tank full to tank full
13.10 kmpl - As per MID

@ Mods - I am once again requesting you to please delete the "1 year" bit out of the thread title.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:34   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I would say this is normal. Perhaps this is too simplistic, but here's my explanation:
Reason for RPM going up suddenly is because you have released the transmission from the engine at that point. When you do that, the engine suddenly runs 'free' and picks up speed. Just after it does that, the ECU 'realizes' that the engine is not under load, and brings the it back to idle condition by regulating the air-fuel mix.
Thanks for the explaination. I am still confused though. What I am worried about is the surge that happens without me even touching the accelerator. And it happens only when:
  • The car is in 1st gear, very very seldom if in second gear and never from 3rd gear onwards and
  • I "half clutch" the car (in 1st).
But I doubt if this is a clutch issue. I mean, the clutch is real smooth, no grinding, awkward noises or heaviness whatsoever. I guess I will find out only during the 4th service.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:20   #145
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Brief update @ 33,000 kms

A quick update:

The Linea is nearing the 33000 km mark. The car touchwood is butter smooth. There is a very very faint rattle from the driver side window, audible only whilst going over real bumby / potholed roads and the driver's seat. I will be getting it serviced at the 35000 kms mark.

The Goodyear tyres however are a different story. Although there is more than adequate tread left, the darned thing is very puncture prone. However, it is only one particular tyre (left front) that gets punctured (the latest one would be at least the 10th puncture in the last 2+ years).

The tyre noise at speeds over 80 is very much there. The grip levels are fairly decent though. For my next tyre, I will be going the Michelin way (XM1+). That said, it is still over 10,000 kms away (easy).

Bonus update - got to test the brakes very recently .

Last Monday, I was coming back from Gurgaon to Dwarka at around midnight, with my wife, mom and dad in tow. Took the 1st exit from the Gurgaon expressway. Folks residing in and around this area would agree that this area is very poorly lit. Anyhow, I was driving at around 70 - 80 kmph. There was barely anyone else on the road. Suddenly, a giant, unmarked Speed Breaker pops up out of nowhere. With barely any distance left, I slammed onto the brakes. I was very sure the car would take a very nasty hit and might even catch some air. The fact that it has been raining quite regularly in Delhi / NCR, leaving the roads quite damp would not have helped matters either.

But was I in for a pleasent surpise. Not only did the car slow down enough to go over the breaker with absolute ease, she did so without any fuss. No screech (not a SOUND), nose dive or skid. Not one BIT. It maintained a straight line and not for one second did I feel out of control. I was so smitten by its braking ability that I kept harping about the beautifully caliberated brakes and importance of ABS to my family the remainder of the way back home. They seemed annoyed.

Really, A$$ aside, there is not much that I can complain about. That too is more about service staff's attitude than say ..... availability of parts.

She's gorgeous, safe, composed, very comfortable and delivers a respectable (IMO) FE. The engine too is no slouch if you learn to keep it on the boil (>1800 RPM). Lets hope Delhi can salvage some of Fiat's A$$ reputation. And I will be going to what is described by the Dilli waalas as "creme de la creme" of the Fiat A$$ world - Elegant motors.

Watch this space, next service update is just 2k kms away.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:44   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry its quite normal. Happen with my GTX too. It is because when you let off the clutch rpm drops. To compensate this rpm drop, Idle Control valve stepper motor increases the airflow to gain enough power to move the engine from stand still. It just tries to maintain 800~900 rpm. When you hit the clutch the engine load is reduced. Now the ICV supplies more air to the engine. When the rpm sensor senses this and ecu will adjust the ICV valve opening to adjust back to 800 rpm. Hence for a second you can see a jump in rpm. I have seen almost all Jap cars comfortably ignores this correction and the engine stalls if you do like this as it needs richer A/F mixture to make the vehicle move. So most of the Jap cars dont do that to gain mileage.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:18   #147
BHPian

Urban_Nomad,
Thanks for the hilarious(at times painful too) narration on Linea. It is almost ditto with every Lineans, at least for me.
Continue with the commentary of 'married life' till either of you retire...

Well, do you ever experienced the seat-height adjustment mechanism fooling you every now and then? Say, you feel you are sitting not on the seat but down on the floor of Linea, since the seat hit the floor? You pumped to the lees, to prop it up enough.

After say 50 kms, you are again floored ! Again she prompt you to pump her.... again floored...saga going on?
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 19:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Urban_Nomad,
Thanks for the hilarious(at times painful too) narration on Linea.

Well, do you ever experienced the seat-height adjustment mechanism fooling you every now and then?
Hey Sunney, thanks for taking the time out to go through the thread and posting your comments.

As for the seat height mech, here's how I can best describe it:

Quote:
The seat hieght mechanism has now kinda been fixed. Earlier it used to go down from level 1 (highest) to sayyyyy level 4 in the middle of a long drive. Now its goes down till level 2. Thank you Fiat.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 26th August 2011 at 19:12.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:13   #149
BHPian

Angry Re: Linea 1.4 (E+) - 1 year ownership review

Still in level 2, after got it corrected?

I heard this complaint from quite many users.
Now me too...

I think better insert few bricks underneath and take in that condition for my next free service, insisting 'Beware, DON'T TOUCH ON MY SEATING SYSTEM, much better than Fiat's'
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 12:44   #150
BHPian

@Urban_Nomad: Sorry to put a dampener on your spirits, but the bad news is that Elegant Motors has shut shop a couple of weeks ago. But I can keep you posted on where Mr Sharma and his posse of trusted men are going next. PM me when you are going for the service.
nkapoor777 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote