Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th August 2011, 01:03   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Linea 1.4 (E+) - 1 year ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
@Urban_Nomad: Sorry to put a dampener on your spirits, but the bad news is that Elegant Motors has shut shop a couple of weeks ago. But I can keep you posted on where Mr Sharma and his posse of trusted men are going next. PM me when you are going for the service.
Good to hear from you. But this news sure is bad.

I will most definitely check with you before I head out for the servicing. Thanks for the heads up.
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 22:14   #152
Senior - BHPian

FE update:

13.60 kmpl - Tank full to tank full
13.70 kmpl - As per MID

AC on 100% of the time. This is 90% city & 10% highwayish driving.

As always, the re-fuelling stops @ auto cut off. But I guess the attendant pumped in slightly less than a "full tank". I could see the fuel needle just a bit below the "F" mark. I guess the average consumption would be more like 12.8 - 13 kmpl.

Oh well, I guess the next fill should show a bit lower FE than now.

@ Mods - I am once again requesting you to please delete the "1 year" bit out of the thread title.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:13   #153
BHPian

I think the mismatch between the MID value and the tank full to tank full value could be mainly contributed by the amount of fuel we get per litre. When the fuel pump shows 1 litre, may be we are actually getting 950 ml. I think this is the easiest cheating a fuel station owner can do.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 09:05   #154
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I could see the fuel needle just a bit below the "F" mark.
In my Linea, the fuel gauge pointer used to be below F mark whenever I fill her up with auto cut-off tankful fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
When the fuel pump shows 1 litre, may be we are actually getting 950 ml.
That's why I rely on the MID FE figure rather than the tankful-to-tankful method.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 20:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
When the fuel pump shows 1 litre, may be we are actually getting 950 ml.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
In my Linea, the fuel gauge pointer used to be below F mark whenever I fill her up with auto cut-off tankful fuel.

That's why I rely on the MID FE figure rather than the tankful-to-tankful method.
Appreciate both your comments. However I am not sure how this may be related to auto cut off. The auto cut off works in relation to the level of fuel in the (car's) tank rather than th quantity dispensed.

Wikipedia explains it quite well:

Automatic cut-off in fuel dispenser:
At a loading dock, Corson observed a worker filling a barrel with gasoline and thought it inefficient. The sound of a toilet flushing later gave him the idea for a "butterfly float." After developing a prototype with his assistant, Paul Wenke, Corson gave the suggestion to the company who later filed for a patent in his name. The initial intent of the device was to "allow a person to fill more than one barrel [of gasoline] at the same time."This mechanism eventually developed into the modern gasoline pump cut-off valve.
Most modern pumps have an auto cut-off feature that stops the flow when the tank is full. This is done with a second tube, the sensing tube, that runs from just inside the mouth of the nozzle up to a Venturi Pump in the pump handle. A mechanical valve in the pump handle detects this change of pressure and closes, preventing the flow of fuel.

I am in no way saying that the fuel pumps do not engage in malpractices, but a "sensitive"(??) auto cut off is not proof of the same.

And in my personal opinion, FE figures quoted by the MID are not very reliable.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st September 2011 at 20:15.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:45   #156
BHPian

The auto cut off also depends on how long the fuel nozzle goes into the tank right? And as far as I have noticed, the length and diameter of the nozzle is not standard across fuel stations. Even an mm of difference in how long it goes inside could make a marginal difference, right?
devansn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 15:52   #157
BHPian

Urban Nomad, I ve be following up on your thread for quite some time now, especially on the FE figures you post. Im quite surprised in a good way ofcourse that your FE is tentatively 12km/ltr. I just wanted to understand the traffic conditions where you drive as my punto E+ which has clocked around 6200kms returns me a FE of max 9.5 in the city(mumbai) with 100% AC. is this too less?
MihirC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 16:37   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Urban Nomad, I ve be following up on your thread for quite some time now, especially on the FE figures you post. Im quite surprised in a good way ofcourse that your FE is tentatively 12km/ltr. I just wanted to understand the traffic conditions where you drive as my punto E+ which has clocked around 6200kms returns me a FE of max 9.5 in the city(mumbai) with 100% AC. is this too less?
I am not surprised at all. We too have a Punto E+ 1.4, we regularly get about 12-13kmpl.

Oveshort distances, I have seen in conditions in my town , 12-13kmpl is observed if the avg speed is about 24+kmph. Sometimes when heavy traffic is ecountered in a duty cycle, and avg speed falls below 16kmph, mileage too drops to about 9kmpl. Sometimes in really bad traffic we have got 8kmpl. All these figures are 100%AC figures.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 10:19   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to understand the traffic conditions where you drive as my punto E+ which has clocked around 6200kms returns me a FE of max 9.5 in the city(mumbai) with 100% AC. is this too less?
Hey Mihir,

My typical drive is mostly in non rush hour traffic, but to say its "smooth sailing" would not be correct by any stretch of the imagination. There is enough start stop action and a 4 - 5 km stretch (DND) is what can be reffered to as "highway-sh" driving.

Dont know if this helps but to give you an idea about how things are traffic wise, my average speed typically hovers around the 25 kmph mark.

But, one thing that bothers me about your FE numbers is you quoting 9.5 kmpl MAX. So I take it your average FE is actually lower than 9.5? This surely warrants a trip to the service center to have this looked at. Btw, what is the average speed displayed by the MID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I am not surprised at all. We too have a Punto E+ 1.4, we regularly get about 12-13kmpl.
Good numbers

How young is your Punto and how many kms logged thus far?
Old 12th September 2011, 10:35   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good numbers

Not very high, though its already 20months old, but odo is just nudging 19k kms now. 1st 12 months actually account for 13500kms, but after that usage dropped due to arrival of an official car for my father.

I had actually expected city mileage numbers to be around 10kmpl, but as our usage was low we went in for the petrol car. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage we have been getting. Even more surprising is the completely niggle free ownership (touchwood). Maintainance costs of 2800rupees is all she has needed, with only the two scheduled service visits.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 13:29   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mihir,

My typical drive is mostly in non rush hour traffic, but to say its "smooth sailing" would not be correct by any stretch of the imagination. There is enough start stop action and a 4 - 5 km stretch (DND) is what can be reffered to as "highway-sh" driving.

Dont know if this helps but to give you an idea about how things are traffic wise, my average speed typically hovers around the 25 kmph mark.

But, one thing that bothers me about your FE numbers is you quoting 9.5 kmpl MAX. So I take it your average FE is actually lower than 9.5? This surely warrants a trip to the service center to have this looked at. Btw, what is the average speed displayed by the MID?

Good numbers

Thanks for the reply Urban nomad and Julupani. Really appreciate it. Well My one way travel everyday is 12kms so its a 24 km round trip. Out of these 12 kms only a patch of 4-5 kms is a open patch of road, highway-ish so to say. The remaining 8 kms is a road with traffic. I would say to cover these 8kms I require around 30 mins, and in worst cases even an hr. The average speed on the MID is between 14to 16kms.

My FE dropped down to 6.5kms/ltr after the first servicing which i took up with the service center and Fiat management after which it has gone up to around 9.5kms/ltr. Now I really cant figure out if the traffic conditions are to blame or the problem was not completely resolved by TASS. Other than this im more than 100% happy with the car. To be honest even the dip in FE is not an issue but I just wanted to understand if such a FE is normal for a Punto.

Another thing with you(Urban Nomad) is that your cars a Linea ,so that makes it around 100 kgs heavier than the Punto, so even if u exclude the traffic conditions, logic dictates that the FE should not be lesser than 10.

Please advice.

Thanks.

PS- My Punto is just 8 months old with 6400kms on clock now.

Last edited by MihirC : 12th September 2011 at 13:30.
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 15:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well My one way travel everyday is 12kms so its a 24 km round trip. Out of these 12 kms only a patch of 4-5 kms is a open patch of road, highway-ish so to say. The remaining 8 kms is a road with traffic. I would say to cover these 8kms I require around 30 mins, and in worst cases even an hr. The average speed on the MID is between 14to 16kms.
Whoa, this is real bad traffic. I can guess that for the 8 odd kms that you face heavy traffic, you do not / barely ever shift till the 3rd gear, let alone any higher. I mean a difference of roughly 10 kmph between your and mine Avg Speeds would definitely take its toll on the FE.

Another thing though. Your Punto's 1st service ....... did you get the oil changed? I got mine changed post the 1st 5000 kms and since have been maintaining a service interval of around 10k kms. If not already done,I would definitely advise you of an oil change ASAP. My car has clocked 34k kms and will be due for its 4th (paid) service at 35k.

A couple of other small things that come to mind:Hope this helps. Looking fwd to some good FE numbers from you soon.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 13th September 2011 at 15:48.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 15:52   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Not very high, though its already 20months old, but odo is just nudging 19k kms now. 1st 12 months actually account for 13500kms, but after that usage dropped due to arrival of an official car for my father.

I had actually expected city mileage numbers to be around 10kmpl, but as our usage was low we went in for the petrol car. I have been pleasantly surprised with the mileage we have been getting. Even more surprising is the completely niggle free ownership (touchwood). Maintainance costs of 2800rupees is all she has needed, with only the two scheduled service visits.
Our Punto 1.4 also returns around 11-12 in the city and about 14-15 on the highways with a light / moderate foot. With a heavy foot, the mileage does take a beating.

Talk about 19k in 20 months, our car has done 4.5K in 14 months . Its high time i exchanged cars with my parents !
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 16:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa, this is real bad traffic. I can guess that for the 8 odd kms that you face heavy traffic, you do not / barely ever shift till the 3rd gear, let alone any higher. I mean a difference of roughly 10 kmph between your and mine Avg Speeds would definitely take its toll on the FE.

Another thing though. Your Punto's 1st service ....... did you get the oil changed? I got mine changed post the 1st 5000 kms and since have been maintaining a service interval of around 10k kms. If not already done,I would definitely advise you of an oil change ASAP. My car has clocked 34k kms and will be due for its 4th (paid) service at 35k.

A couple of other small things that come to mind:Hope this helps. Looking fwd to some good FE numbers from you soon.

Well in those 8kms , its usually the first and second and rarely the third. I did get my oil changed @ 3000 kms lol. All in all do you feel( just an assumption though) that with the traffic conditions that I ve mentioned , the FE is less or acceptable?
MihirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 16:49   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All in all do you feel( just an assumption though) that with the traffic conditions that I ve mentioned , the FE is less or acceptable?
I most definitely do my friend. A difference of 10 kmph for the avg. speed is pretty huge. I was temptd to advise you to cycle to work as that would be quicker.

IMO, anything in the vicinity of 10 kmpl (+/- 1 kmpl) in your situation should be fine. 6.5 kmpl though was wayyy off.