Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th August 2010, 19:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for the compliments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Forgive me for being ignorant,can you not switch Bhandari service to some other dealer?
As usual enjoyed reading your post,and also i am hardly 21 yrs old,no where close to being a "sir"
Ferrari 1976 has put it quite aptly in his post below. The other option in Pune is "Pandit". Although I have not experienced the service at Pandit first hand, I have heard enough horrors stories about them. Translation - avoid them like a bad habit.

And since you are only 21, you should now call me Urban bhaiya .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
The problem is that if BUB is bad, Pandit is horrible. I have a Linea and had a Indica for 7 years before that. Hence a long relationship with BUB & Pandit.

All that UN has to go thru, we all go thru. BUB at least gets the work done in the end. Pandit will never be able to get that done.

Is it then worth it to own a Fiat Linea?? Yout bet it is! I can bear 10 such BUBs to own a Linea.

BTW, UN: A very well written experience. I wish I has the same flair to write. I have many such "entertaining" stories on BUB and some "not so entertaining" about Pandit!
Ya, the work does get done but their turn around time is just ridiculous. Add to that the "finishing touches" such as a crud covered car upon return from service and having to call the GM every time you face an issue. People who are responsible for a job should, well, just do it.

I am very interested to hear your experience @ BUB & Pandit. Request you to please share the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post

1, Find a new service centre if possible.

2,Make sure that you give your car to a good service adviser.I do it even at Honda.if the particular SA is on leave I will not give the car for service that day.

3,Please don't admit your car for "observation".If I am admitting a patient for observation,it usually means that I don't have an idea about the disease at present and hopefully some new symptoms or signs will come up without much worsening of the patient's condition.

4,Meet the manager even if it is routine service.Be friendly with him.(Neednot trust him fully).

Managers are usually experienced persons.If you are facing an issue with the car ,it will be easy to solve..They will diagnose the problems early and send the car to the experienced technician.I had many problems solved at manager level.The SA is usually afraid of the manager.

5,Always insist on replacing the part under warranty if there is a defect.

6,E-mails usually dosen't work.They usually forward it to the regional office.From there they will forward it back to the concerned service centre.

I once wrote a letter to Mr Ratan Tata,Mumbai House.The title of the 7 page letter was "Nightmares about your dream car".I don't know who read the letter ,but got the response with in a week.Got a call from Mumbai.The car was taken from my local service centre to Cochin main workshop office.The car was retrofitted with V2 parts free.Replaced 2 front tyres and front power winders.

But the car which was driven by the TASS driver met with an accident on the way back.I was not informed.I was told that the car will need more "observation".They repaired it claming the insurance!.The car was delivered back in an evening.I noticed the repair work only after a few days.I found that the colour shade on both the doors on the right side was different from the rest of the car.The manager apologised to me.I was too busy with my work that I didn't escalate the issue.

7,Be patient.All the issues you mentioned can be solved.

all the best,
Mevtec
Your Indica issue must have been a horrid experience. Glad its all in the past now. And thanks for sharing your "what to do" pointers with respect to the not so respectful Fiat A$$.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 26th August 2010 at 19:26.
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 20:25   #77
BHPian

Man oh Man! Just clicked on the thread and what do i discover? Superb writing and a honest ownership report. I went through the following emotions as i read through this thread:
1) Sigh...i want a car now. Can't travel in these buses anymore!
2) What car??? Ok this one.
3) Friends: What!?
This one?
Buy that.
No that.
Are you crazy??
Is that the only car you see? Why not this?
4) aaaaarrghhh! Dad, i am going for Linea!
5) Son, have you really thought this over??(In a "why are you taking
sanyaas at such an young age?" tone)
6) Test drive, Ecstasy.
7) Car at home! Driving it, Pleasure!
8) Small niggles. What @#$%?
9) Problem handling by dealership
10) All in all One year. Still proud

Man, all these without owning a Linea and in spite of being a proud owner of another car!! Such was your writing.

So, i request you to keep writing ownership experience for every thousand km!

Here's wishing you thousands of kms of enjoyable driving in your Italian babe!
iPai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 19:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Thanks Pai. You summed up the emotions very well. Especially loved the "sanyaas" comment. Have truer words ever been spoken, me thinks not.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.
Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th September 2010 at 18:02. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Angry Ye kya hua?

Update on latest FE, a shocking 11.65 kmpl (tank full to tank full). MID showed average consumption at 12.8 kmpl.

I dont get it. There has been a significant drop in FE since the last tank full (14 kmpl). Here's a small comparo between the 2 instances :
  • Fuel filled from same bunks on previous 2 ocassions.
  • Previously filled "regular fuel", last time - speed (the bunk did not have "saada petrol").
The driving conditions remained pretty much similar. However, this time I did rev the car a little more than what I normally do (normal - upshift at 2500 RPM, this time - 3000 RPM). But I doubt if this alone is responsible for the results to be so very dis-similar.

Lets see how things go this time around. If the FE does not improve by the next tank-full, will have to make another trip to the workshop .
Old 17th September 2010, 13:29   #80
BANNED

what a horrid service experience, i guess i will drop my plans to buy MJD linea and go for a Honda City instead...or Vento for that matter..

What is your take on that...i heard new ANHC also has great steering feedback.
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 14:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^ I remember driving the ANHC a while back and no, the steering feedback was nowehere near Linea's. Have not driven the "newer ones" though.

I say this my friend, if you have that sort of a budget that fits in the ANHC without fuss and you do not mind a couple of creature features omitted, go for it. Everyone on this forum swears by the bullet proof reliability of the Hondas and that must account for something (I have no personal experience on this front though, just hear- say). Vento, Hmmmm, competitive package but again, A$$ still needs to be looked at. I dont think VW is even offering 3 free services (thats a 1st, and it seems weird). Maybe sit on the fence for a while and make a decision. Also, as per GTOs review, the Diesel HL variant is the one worth buying. I think the Delhi on road price (diesel) for the same is 10.7 lac.

Linea has its fair share of niggles that can get irritating, but no major issues (mechanical, electrical etc). I think the Linea MJD will save you a lac + when compared to both the cars above. Have a look yourself and weigh all pros and cons.

The decision making process of putting down close to a million rupees on a vehicle can be quite overwhelming. Hope my response has been helpful (even if a little). All the very best to you.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:06   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
.... While I understand that a 32 watt smile does not do much for your beloved ride's performance, it does add to the overall customer experience and to me, it sure is important as well.
I quite agree on that 32 (intact) watt smile thing. There is just the smile and nothing more substantial-and its quite disconcerting at that. However, you are right about the TATA-FIAT A.S.S trying desperately to improve. There is quite a bit of effort going on to improve and let's see whether all this bootstrap process will achieve results
Rigid Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 21:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Drove down to Bombay over the weekend. Filled up at the Shell shop at Hinjewadi (opposite to Dominoes). This was my first time ever at a Shell shop. Wonderful experience. The staff is very courteous and they had the "air fill-up" service open at 10 pm. Kudos. When I offered the attendant a few rupees after he checked the air and cleaned the wind sceen, he almost ran away saying - "nahi sir, hum paise nahi lete sir. Hum aapki service ke liye hee hain." Very cool.

Anyhow, FE details on that particular tank full :

FE (tank full to tank full) - 12.06 kmpl
FE as per MID - 13.5 kmpl

I started for Bombay from Hinjewadi at 10:30 pm, was at Borivali at 01:10 am. Encountered a half hour jam right after crossing Lonavala and another 15 - 20 mins jam at the toll junction before you enter Bombay (not sure what that place is called. Its the toll where amount payable is Rs 30 for a car). The Avg. FE as per the MID was 16.5 kmpl, so I am guessing the actual FE was at least 15 kmpl (for the one way trip).

On the way back, we encountered some heavy traffic and again, the stretch around Lonavala was choc a bloc with traffic. Add to that, I was greeted with more traffic just after the diversion for PCMC. The MID showed average FE at 15 kmpl (at the end of the to and fro trip).

Will update actual FE figures shortly after the next tank-full.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Another FE update :

Again, was in Bombay over the weekend. Before heading out on the expressway, got a tankfull done at the HP pump next to Shell.

Actual FE (tankful to tankful) - wait for it ............. 15.5 kmpl
FE as per MID - 15.6 kmpl

I was in an "eco run" mode and I guess it paid off. However, my joy was short lived. On my way back from Bombay, filled up again at the COCO HP pump on the expressway (the 1st rest stop on the way back to Pune).

Actual FE (tankful to tankful) - 11.1 kmpl
FE as per MID - 11.3 kmpl

This is after a very spirited run on the e-way and choc a bloc Bombay traffic (to give you an example of how "dense" the traffic generally was, I got stuck in a jam at 1 in the night. Was on my way to "Bade Mian's" from the Goregaon Sports Club - Dandiya night).

OT - Initially, I wanted to fill up at Shell on the Bangalore - Pune highway (before starting off for Bombay). However, their card machine apparently was kaput. When I asked them if they could at least check the air in the tyres, I did not get a response. This was the complete opposite of my last experience at a Shell shop (@ Hinjewadi - opposite to Dominoes). Not impressed at all.

Coming up shortly - the 3rd "free" service experience.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 20th October 2010 at 14:30.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:32   #85
BANNED

Good to see the updates.. 15 kmpl is pretty good! I plan to buy a 1.4 Dynamic soon!
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 14:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thats great. When is the delivery expected? And what colour? I would strongly suggest getting some feedback on the service quality of the Fiat A$$ in your area.

Mind you though - 15.5 kmpl is not necessarily the norm. I typically get around 13ish kmpl.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:03   #87
BANNED

OT:
^^ Linea Dynamic - Bossa Nova White because my dad's first car was also a white Fiat!

A** in Bangalore is not a issue at all for me as I am personally associated with Fiat. Dynamic because I want to spruce up the car for my personal taste!
Mileage is also not an issue as its just going to be a car for long drives.
I am buying during Diwali!

P.S: Why not even one pic of your car here?!!

Last edited by EARTHed : 20th October 2010 at 15:23.
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:14   #88
BHPian

What a thread !!! I read the whole thing in one go, almost 2 hours. Kudos for this completely unbiased review; you have meticulously covered everthing and it's straight from the heart. Now I know why they say "you don't buy a FIAT, you own it"

Things in this review that I liked...
>> How it all started
>> Discussion with friend on phone - Accent v/s girlfriend, dad's advise, negotiations with sales rep for Swift...
>> Heart over head deciding on the Linea.
>> Autooooooo ...... FULLLL autoooo
>> Review on FE and highway performance

(EDIT) I own a petrol sedan (not FIAT) but I did not expect Linea's low RPM performance to be so annoying. Also I have never heard a whirr of the power-streening motor in any car so why should it br felt in the Linea? Is this normal?

BTW, I saw a T-Jet Linea ad recently, so what's the difference between MJD and T-Jet?

U_N, you write good and I wish you many many happy years of passionate ownership. Do keep the reviews coming and don't forget the "pikchars"
---------------------------
regards
Chewbacca

Last edited by Chewbacca : 22nd October 2010 at 01:31.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
OT:
^^ Linea Dynamic - Bossa Nova White

P.S: Why not even one pic of your car here?!!
Good luck with the customization and hope to see your ownership thread soon.

About the pikchars, I have been lazy, VERY lazy. More so, the car has been a victim of vandalism resently (scratch marks all around with a key). Do not feel like posting the pics yet. Hopefully, I will get this sorted in the 3rd service and then definitely post pics. This time its pakka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
(EDIT) I own a petrol sedan (not FIAT) but I did not expect Linea's low RPM performance to be so annoying.
Hey Chewbacca. Many thanks for the compliments. About the low RPM performance, well, it is annoying for sure. Its almost dead below 1500, (sigh) tolerable between 1500 - 2000 and thereon things are much better.

Quote:
Also I have never heard a whirr of the power-streening motor in any car so why should it br felt in the Linea? Is this normal?
Good question. This "whrrr whrrr" sound is not present in my sister's "U-Va". Its pretty much the same with other Lineas though. Is yours a hydraulic or an electronic (steering) unit? And which car do you own?

Quote:
BTW, I saw a T-Jet Linea ad recently, so what's the difference between MJD and T-Jet?
T-Jet = Turbo charged 1.4 petrol motor
M-Jet = Turbo charged 1.3 Diesel motor
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:09   #90
BANNED

Good and honest review. to sum it up, Linea is a superb car with niggling mechanical issues ( say, the car height going down) and below average A.S.S. . last week it went on a south india trip. hardly saw any lineas in the smaller towns and highways. however there are many Lineas in Bangalore. I am very inclind to buy a Tjet. lets see.
siddutta is offline   Reply With Quote