Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 24th June 2010, 13:52   #16
BHPian

Great Review there !!

Your baleno looks spotlessly clean. Did you get it re-painted or was it totally accident free ?
I have a Black Baleno (i call it BlackHawk) and it is gifted with scratches all over and loose bumpers with lots of gaps (thanks to hyderabad), and now i am getting it together bit by bit. The Hawk has become mechanically fit and fine now and body will be taken care in december.

It is really an awesome car to drive. I always have this doubt, do you get the heat near the foot well ? The foot well of my baleno heats up pretty much that i can feel it even in a 30km drive. I was assuming that the ECU being placed in the front dash (under ACC) could be the reason for heat generation. But is that common for all balenos or mine is an exception ? Any idea why it can happen?
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 18:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the wonderful experience of Baleno ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Well, I was hoping to get more too. This was tested on a recent Kochi-Bangalore drive. A/c was on all the time. Speed on 4 laned roads ranged 100-150. No stepping on the A pedal though. May be a/c plays a major role.
My FE figures match yours. And for me A/C does seem to drop the FE and the power response quite a bit. In my city runs the FE drops by 2kpml .. between zero to 100% AC usage.

The highway runs have also always hovered around 12.5 t0 13.5 with 100% AC. Maybe what makes a difference is not so much the steady 120-130 speeds but how quickly you get to those speeds, revving through the gears . My car is shod with 195 Eagle F1s, which may increase relative rolling resistance too, compared to 165 wheels or less stickier rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
It is really an awesome car to drive. I always have this doubt, do you get the heat near the foot well ? The foot well of my baleno heats up pretty much that i can feel it even in a 30km drive. I was assuming that the ECU being placed in the front dash (under ACC) could be the reason for heat generation. But is that common for all balenos or mine is an exception ? Any idea why it can happen?
Does not happen in my car (4.5yrs 67K kms). Check the footwell portion of the firewall. There could be a grommet that has popped out or has a leak allowing the heat from the engine to come in.

Last edited by shuvc : 24th June 2010 at 18:43.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 11:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Your baleno looks spotlessly clean. Did you get it re-painted or was it totally accident free ?
Thank you. It has its own share of scratches, though I avoid adding new ones. And no, I didn't do any repainting.

Btw, the car is waxed almost every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
My FE figures match yours. And for me A/C does seem to drop the FE and the power response quite a bit. In my city runs the FE drops by 2kpml .. between zero to 100% AC usage..
That is a useful information. I am practicing "Zen and the art of city driving". I am consistently getting ~13 Kpl in the city.

I have tried "Zen and the art of highway driving". Made me realize I do not have complete control over my own mind
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 12:09   #19
BHPian

@whiteknight-you got a sweet deal there buddy.and it is pretty neat.
though what I really liked are the rims,such a neat design,suits the car very well.can you please post some more details of the same.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 12:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
though what I really liked are the rims,such a neat design,suits the car very well.can you please post some more details of the same.
Alloys are EVO. I guess it is a Thaiwanees import which is flocking the market these days. I got it for 15.5k for 5. Finishing is very good.

As a side note, same alloys were quoted at 17.5k by a fellow TBhpian, who is in the business.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 30th June 2010 at 12:45.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:51   #21
BHPian

Default 55000 Update

Time for updates.

55k service done. Total cost 2100 Rs, including engine flush.

Also did a whell balancing and rotation. Cost=696 Rs.

Finally, managed to get hold of "real" Venadium nuts after chasing my tire dealer for months. Allen key doesn't match my Wheel spanner size. So I have now two allen keys, one with the "real" Venadium nuts and the other that came with duplicate venadium nuts which I had for a year.

Tested both keys as I did the nut change myself. Made myself a spectacle for my apartment folks, as I flip-flopped wheels and did the "Jayan" (old mallu actor) thing by flexing my muscles. It is another matter that I took two more days to recover.
"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-cimg4136.jpg
Old 20th August 2010, 17:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

as I flip-flopped wheels and did the "Jayan" (old mallu actor) thing by flexing my muscles. It is another matter that I took two more days to recover.
Attachment 409845
sorry couldn't control myself.
On the car,the one thing i loved is the way the engine doesn't loose steam when the AC kicks in.The other day when i took my cousins baleno for a service,i noticed even the silencer was made in Japan,no wonder the parts so are expensive.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 19:13   #23
BHPian

Thanks rakesh_r.

On my recent trip to home we did a DIY on the fog lamps with LEDs. We opened the existing (crappy) lamp, removed the bulb and put a clamp on to which the LED clusters were screwed.
The result
"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-cimg4228.jpg
On the road
"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-cimg4222.jpg
Closer
"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-cimg4226.jpg

Btw, the light is not as bright as it appears in the pictures. Obviously the light doesn't get focused as reflectors are not coming into play.

My intention is to use it as daytime running light, as they are hard to ignore once they appear on rear-view mirrors. I have tried it with good success, as it reduces the need for honking.

I've also see the LED strips, which could be stickered to imitate Audi. I thought they are too over the top for me
Old 11th September 2010, 19:18   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally, managed to get hold of "real" Venadium nuts after chasing my tire dealer for months.
Where did you get these and at what cost?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2010, 20:54   #25
BHPian

@Rudra, from Tyre Empire at Whitefield @ 1500 Rs. Size for Baleno is 1.25 (Diameter in cm?), which somehow was difficult to source. Thanks to the dealer who kept the promise and called me once they had it.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:29   #26
BHPian

Default Mid year appraisal time

It was time for Lady lightning to undergo Mid-year appraisal. This time the appraisal has been tough for the lady as there has been so many "new entrants" competing for a spot in my garage and mind.

First, update on "real" venadium lug nuts. They have started showing signs of rust. It is not as quick as what happend to my previous set, still these are not rust proof for sure. So much for the real stuff

City mileage continues to be in the range of 12.7 to 13.4 Kpl with < 30% of a/c usage

Performance is as it used to be. I did not notice much difference in engine noise after the engine flush. Typicall tappet noise remains once the car is put on city duties. Take it out for high-rev routine, it comes back as butter smooth. I might think about mods only after I have a second car, or I am bored to death.

I am watching the bearings as there seem to be some noise from the tyres, or am I just thinking too much?

Overall, Lady lightning continues to do its duties as expected with typical Japanese efficiency

Reward? She gets Autoform seat covers in Almond color"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-autoform-compressed.jpg
PS: Almond color is not what you see in the photograph, I don't know how and why

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 1st November 2010 at 13:31.
Old 13th November 2010, 09:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Almond color is not what you see in the photograph, I don't know how and why
Mr. White Knight, maybe its the White Balance setting on your camera which makes the Almond seat covers look un-almondy .

However, since I only recognise black, blue, yellow, green, orange, blue, black, green and probably a few more colors like black, blue, yellow, green ... I'm just going to pretend I know what color an Almond actually is. Of course, its a shade of brown but thats where I reach my limitations in the department of color shades.

Congratutions on the seat covers ... may they always cushion your behind
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 10:55   #28
BHPian

Default Re: "Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Mr. White Knight, maybe its the White Balance setting on your camera which makes the Almond seat covers look un-almondy
Ruf, you should be contributing more to the Travelogue section

Btw, Lady Lightning gets a stable mate. Guess what? it is the beauty !!!

"Lady Lightning"- My trusted Japanese companion, the Baleno-20110103_16.41.37a.jpg
Old 6th January 2011, 09:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Ruf, you should be contributing more to the Travelogue section
Attachment 476742
Good timing, I just opened team-bhp today after nearly a month, to start a new travelogue
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 11:15   #30
BHPian

Well, a few events did occur in the last few months

1) My "imported" Venadium nit got skipped up on the bolt and refused to come off. Eventually we had to drill both out. Talk about quality

2) Both lower arms and tie rod ends got replaced at 61000 Kms. this was a bit controversial as my "off-shore" experts (read cousin who runs garage) did not agree on changing those in a hurry, where as my local team wanted the change.

Eventually I went ahead with the change as both lower arms were available off the shelf, which is rare.

Lowers arms cost= ~7200 each
Tie rod ends =~3000 for 2

However I am not fully convinced about the damage to Lower arm ball joint. I have the replaced parts with me now.

Question to experts- How do I check the Ball joint for damage?

3) My trusted and well built Pio 5750 got replaced with JBL 555. Not that I fell in love with 555, which looks fairly average. The decision was made as Pioneer sets were looking worse in terms of build quality. In fact, noting looked as good as the 6 year old 5750, in terms of build quality. I shall update the pics later.

Happy motoring