Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th July 2010, 21:49   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks a ton for sharing this comparison. I had no clue that the driveability of the 1.1 Hyundai IRDe was this good (although I have driven the car quite a lot, but didn't have a 1.2 for comparision).

It is interesting to note the Fiat 1.2 litre engine's performance too. It's power output is one of the lowest among the 1.2's yet the in gear acceleration is at par or better than many (including Polo).

Also, I think that the 0-100 times are usually just academic, it's the in-gear times that really matter.
Welcome my friend! Te 1.1 IRDE engine of the Santro is a gem in the city..it beats all petrol cars from the so-called 'premium hatchback' segment hands down, period.
And I agree the 0-100 times are mostly academic unless you want to have some occassional fun!
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 22:20   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Welcome my friend! Te 1.1 IRDE engine of the Santro is a gem in the city..it beats all petrol cars from the so-called 'premium hatchback' segment hands down, period.
And I agree the 0-100 times are mostly academic unless you want to have some occassional fun!

How can you compare the santro to the polo ?? Polo is miles ahead than the outdated santro. !!
liner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 22:39   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
How can you compare the santro to the polo ?? Polo is miles ahead than the outdated santro. !!
We are talking about the driveability or in-gear acceleration here my friend. Please look at the numbers posted earlier and then comment (numbers are from ACI). The Santro not only beats the Polo but all others in terms on in-gear acceleration.
I am not comparing Santro and Polo. Polo is in a different class altogether, I am just talking about one specif aspect and that is - driveability. Hope I am clear. And please read the earlier posts to try to understand the context of the discussion before posting
Old 14th July 2010, 23:27   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are talking about the driveability or in-gear acceleration here my friend. Please look at the numbers posted earlier and then comment (numbers are from ACI). The Santro not only beats the Polo but all others in terms on in-gear acceleration.
I am not comparing Santro and Polo. Polo is in a different class altogether, I am just talking about one specif aspect and that is - driveability. Hope I am clear. And please read the earlier posts to try to understand the context of the discussion before posting
Adi, do you have any clue whether the numbers are with or without the A/C. I was thinking whether the true advantage of the 1.2 comes through when the A/C is on (for obvious reasons).
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 23:27   #380
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Off - Topic!!

Guys! I have a request. Let us stick to the Thread topic. At-least to Diesel Hatch backs. IMO, Petrol cars are totally off-topic for this Thread.

Adi, I will love to see your long term ownership thread on Santro. With Pictures please!!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 07:43   #381
Senior - BHPian

Chetan you are right..This is really going of-topic
Old 15th July 2010, 08:55   #382
BHPian

Quote:
The top speed can't be rated for an engine, it has to be rated for a car. When VW claims 164 and carwale/autocar says 156 kmph, how can you say 170 kmph? May I know the source of your information? Anyways, 5-6 kmph difference does not make a big difference and you can believe whatever you want to.
Its the same car with the same specs in Germany with an indicated top speed of 170 km/hr. Its really not about the belief but in the manner cars are tested across the globe based on road conditions. Test the Indian made Polo in Germany and that's perhaps the result you will see.
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 09:03   #383
Senior - BHPian

Testing the Indian Polo in Germany is a totally hypothetical idea. no comments! lets move on.. Chetan, what are your next plans with the Polo?
Old 15th July 2010, 10:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
I asked the showroom guys regarding the Teflon coating and under-body coating and to my surprise; they didn't recommend it. Did anyone get similar kind of reply?

Their straight reply was "Everything has been taken care during the manufacturing". And they were confident enough to tell that.

If you ask them the process involved, they say, by the time the car comes out of the factory, it would have had 7 layers on it which includes protection against corrosion, paint job and it's protection.
And regarding the under-body, they have a metal sheet which protects the chassis (when the car is scraped against the humps and from mud water). which has also undergone anti corrosion process.

I really appreciate that attitude of the dealer.
Hi Vinay,

VW Showroom in Delhi told they also do the Teflon Coating and if we wanted could get it done.
Really Strange ,if its already covered ,why would they offer it again..
Perhaps a Profit making venture..!
Hard to verify if its already done in a car.

Guys...Any way we can confirm if the Teflon coating has already been done on a car.
How do we check.

Rgds,
Sachin.
sachinsumant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:48   #385
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Its the same car with the same specs in Germany with an indicated top speed of 170 km/hr. Its really not about the belief but in the manner cars are tested across the globe based on road conditions. Test the Indian made Polo in Germany and that's perhaps the result you will see.
Nevgen - European polo will use a better quality fuel. Performance & Timing may differ. But, Top speed should remain the same - Even though it may take a bit more time to achieve it, given the quality of the fuel available in India.

I personally believe that Polo-Tdi can achieve a True-Top speed of 164 Kms, as claimed by VW-India. Reasons for this is as below:
  • Mechanically - Car is built to run at higher speeds. Therefore - friction will be less at speeds around 170 Kmph.
  • I could achieve "5th Gear - 160 Kmph - 4200 RPM" - as indicated on the Speedo. Even if you consider 5% error "5th Gear - 152 Kmph - 4200 RPM" is not bad. With another 800 RPM in reserve, and with the kind of reserve power available - Rated Top speed can be achieved easily.
  • This can be easily checked by any body. With Speedo error considered at 5% Max - One should achieve 172 Kmph as indicated on the Speedometer. Simple!!
  • This reminds me of VW Ad - "Check it yourself, if you do not believe us"!
What-ever may be the Top speed, given the conditions, all that we are going to use practically, is only 130 kmph Max.

Quote:
Chetan, what are your next plans with the Polo?
I am working on AMC data and will post it by this week end.

It also depends on what else - you all want. I am ready for anything.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:17   #386
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
I asked the showroom guys regarding the Teflon coating and under-body coating and to my surprise; they didn't recommend it. Did anyone get similar kind of reply?

Their straight reply was "Everything has been taken care during the manufacturing". And they were confident enough to tell that.

If you ask them the process involved, they say, by the time the car comes out of the factory, it would have had 7 layers on it which includes protection against corrosion, paint job and it's protection.
And regarding the under-body, they have a metal sheet which protects the chassis (when the car is scraped against the humps and from mud water). which has also undergone anti corrosion process.

I really appreciate that attitude of the dealer.
I also got a similar reply initially.

In fact, under chassis also has a rubberized coating to prevent damage/corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Hi Vinay,

VW Showroom in Delhi told they also do the Teflon Coating and if we wanted could get it done.
Really Strange ,if its already covered ,why would they offer it again..
Perhaps a Profit making venture..!
Hard to verify if its already done in a car.

Guys...Any way we can confirm if the Teflon coating has already been done on a car.
How do we check.

Rgds,
Sachin.
This offer is obviously from the Dealer.

As Vinay was mentioning, VW would have taken care of everything to protect the paint, since they are giving Paint Warranty. But this may not be a Teflon coat IMHO.

Teflon coat definitely helps in maintaining the car. I know this from my previous experience. I have got it done on my car. You can get it done if you are interested.

I do not know if there is any way to check - If the coating is already done. Any body has any idea?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 15th July 2010 at 12:19.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:20   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hellp there "carfanatic007"
Believe me..its not that easy to do it in case of Polo.A Visit to the showroom tilts us back in Polo's favour.
I had thought of a lot of options ,when i was seeing the Figo's being delivered Left,Right,Centre..!!! .But finally went for it.
Although was lucky enough to get the TDI delivered on June 1st.

Rgds,
Sachin.
Yeah Sachin, its very difficult to wait, I am in half mind to buy something else and end this but in Bangalore because of high taxes every car seems too costly. Anyways so how is your car doing, FE etc.?
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 13:06   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Yeah Sachin, its very difficult to wait, I am in half mind to buy something else and end this but in Bangalore because of high taxes every car seems too costly. Anyways so how is your car doing, FE etc.?
Car is doing great.!! Clocked 2500Kms uptill now,nowhere near to Chethan though..!
Got a FE of 18kmpl (TDI).
Planning to go for Lumar Sun films.(would the lowest version solve the purpose)?
Old 15th July 2010, 14:05   #389
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Car is doing great.!! Clocked 2500Kms uptill now,nowhere near to Chethan though..!
Got a FE of 18kmpl (TDI).
Planning to go for Lumar Sun films.(would the lowest version solve the purpose)?
My case was only because of the initial rush and enthusiasm! Eventually, I will settle down at an average of 2000 Kms /month. You can over take me.

I remember that you said 18 Kmpl in city. Please confirm.

LLumar films are good. Lowest version should be OK. But, have a sun-film, only if you need it. Car definitely looks good without it.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 15th July 2010 at 14:06.
Old 15th July 2010, 14:23   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
My case was only because of the initial rush and enthusiasm! Eventually, I will settle down at an average of 2000 Kms /month. You can over take me.

I remember that you said 18 Kmpl in city. Please confirm.

LLumar films are good. Lowest version should be OK. But, have a sun-film, only if you need it. Car definitely looks good without it.
Yes,I achieved a Mileage of 18 with the tank full method,was with 80-90% AC ON.
It wasnt entirely city though.
80% city & 20% highway.
Ive got a white,so does it not look good with the sunfilms ?Any

Rgds,
Sachin.