Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th September 2010, 16:24   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkariro View Post
Great Job done! If I am not mistaken VWs come with 3 year paint protection warranty and 5 years anti perforation warranty.

Personally I have not seen any difference in cars in which paint protection procedures like waxoyl are done and cars in which the procedures have not been carried out.

I think the correct time to get it done is after the car is 3 year old and it has started looking dull. I had a Fiat Palio and kept it for 6 years and never got anything done except a monthly coat of wax polish and the paint was like new till the time i sold it off.
Thanks! These days the dealers themselves suggest some sort of paint protection before you drive a car away from the dealership.

Of course the biggest difficulty is keeping the car intact in Bangalore traffic. In India, there will surely be a market for a rubberized polymer that will ensure that cars don't get deformed.

If you can get the car waxed every month or three months yourself or by someone who will not make any marks on the car, that will probably be best. However Waxoyl also protects against paint fade. In any case, I don't know anyone who can wax the car and that is why I preferred Waxoyl for its one year guarantee.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 16:59   #587
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
I was filling in petrol and air check over the weekend; and I wasnt able to locate the nozzle for the spare tyre. It looks like the tyre is put upside down in the boot area, and the nozzle is facing down. That doesnt seem too convenient, so decided to drop a note and ask the gurus - any ideas where the nozzle for the spare tyre is located, and any associated tips etc?

Thanks!
You are right - Tyre is placed upside down. It is tedious to check/fill-in air.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 17:06   #588
BHPian

What is rubberised polymer & how does it help ?
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 19:10   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
What is rubberised polymer & how does it help ?
I was joking, obviously I wasn't funny. There is no such material.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:26   #590
BHPian

Laughing now nowwhat
You got me wondering earlier.
manubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 21:05   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
1. When you switch on the rear fog lamp, should the indicator of the same on the light switch turn yellow? (see pic attached) The manual says that but I didn't find it glowing yellow there. It stays red.
The first position to the left..is that front fog? How do you turn on front and rear at the same time?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 21:43   #592
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The first position to the left..is that front fog? How do you turn on front and rear at the same time?
When parking / head lights are on - If we pull the light switch, front fog lamps comes on. If we pull the light switch further, rear fog lamp comes on. Off course, for the rear fog lamp to come on, reverse gear needs to be engaged.

Guys, I am at Bellary right now. Bangalore to Bellary is about 350 Kms. Road is excellent through out. It took me just 5 Hrs to reach Bellary!

Some pics taken on the way:

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9210001.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9210002.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9210003.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9210004.jpg
Old 21st September 2010, 21:46   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Just pull the light knob once to switch on the front fog lamp and pull it once again to switch on the rear fog lamp. So both are turned on at the same time.

There's a yellow symbol that shows on the instrument cluster when you switch on the rear fog lamp.

@Chetan...I don't think the reverse gear needs to be engaged for the rear fog lamps. I could switch it on without doing that! I hope you mean the single red light at the rear and not the usual reversing light.

Last edited by theragingbull : 21st September 2010 at 21:49.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 22:30   #594
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful roads with nice curves too,i am sure you must have enjoyed driving the polo.Like the first pic.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 22:31   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Some pics taken on the way:
Chetan : Your car looks awesome, if I am not wrong, 3months old and ~8K KMs covered. As far as my little knowledge about black color car goes its hard to maintain (=>Team-BHP), but looking at the pics with no close-up snaps, it shining as day 01

Last edited by AvonA7 : 21st September 2010 at 22:32.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 22:37   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Chetan : Your car looks awesome, if I am not wrong, 3months old and ~8K KMs covered. As far as my little knowledge about black color car goes its hard to maintain (=>Team-BHP), but looking at the pics with no close-up snaps, it shining as day 01
Those were the exact thoughts that i had.

Chetan, your car looks stunning. I was always worried about maintaing a black car! But not anymore
shadowfax176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 22:45   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
Laughing now nowwhat
You got me wondering earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax176 View Post
Those were the exact thoughts that i had.

Chetan, your car looks stunning. I was always worried about maintaing a black car! But not anymore
Black is always a very difficult colour to maintain but at the same time it is very rewarding too. When a black car has that wet look, nothing can equal it except perhaps the red on the Polo.

Your car looks much better on the long drive to Bellary than when you came to my house in Bangalore.

By the way since you travel around in Karnataka a lot, it would be nice if you can post some pictures of those places. I am very curious how Bellary looks as I have never been there.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:18   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Off course, for the rear fog lamp to come on, reverse gear needs to be engaged.
Quote:
@Chetan...I don't think the reverse gear needs to be engaged for the rear fog lamps. I could switch it on without doing that! I hope you mean the single red light at the rear and not the usual reversing light.
According to UK experience: it is not a fog light for reversing, it is a high intensity rear light that gives better indication of your presence to those speeding towards your backside in fog.

Whilst most British drivers do learn main-beam discipline, there are quite a few that believe that turning the lights on means moving the knob as far as it will go. Following a car with the high-intensity rear light, in normal visibility, is a pain in the... eyesight.

I wonder if these VWs have the same rear fog light that they would have in Europe?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:09   #599
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if these VWs have the same rear fog light that they would have in Europe?
May-be, I am wrong (obviously!). I will check this out and get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Beautiful roads with nice curves too,i am sure you must have enjoyed driving the polo.Like the first pic.
Bellary road after Challakere, is excellent and full of curves. I have constantly done 120-130 along these curves. Body role is minimum. Absolutely, confidence inspiring steering! It is fun to drive Polo on this road.

Covering 350 Kms in 5 Hrs, is no joke - If the power is inadequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

Your car looks much better on the long drive to Bellary than when you came to my house in Bangalore.

By the way since you travel around in Karnataka a lot, it would be nice if you can post some pictures of those places. I am very curious how Bellary looks as I have never been there.
Maintaining a Black car, is like maintaining any other Car. Only thing is that the minor imperfections (if any) will be more visible. Paint protection coating helps.

My car is usually washed on Monday morning. I do not bother to clean it in between. I think we met on a Thursday?

Tomorrow I will be a bit busy. I will be leaving Bellary after lunch. But I will try to take some snaps. Problem is - Moment we start taking snaps, people stare at us, if it is not a tourist location! And we normally do not visit tourist locations, when on an official visit!

AvonA7, shadowfax176 @ Thanks for the complements!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 22nd September 2010 at 00:16.
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:46   #600
BHPian

Engine oil topping for VW Polo TDI cars. My car which has done 2000 kms. required topping up of engine oil. Since my car was at the dealers workshop they advised me to buy a one litre can which cost me Rs.970/-. After topping up with a little bit of oil I have kept the remaining oil with me.
The brand used was "Castrol Magnatec Professional" B4 5W-40. The MRP rate on the container is Rs.970/-.
uvmallya is offline   Reply With Quote