Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd September 2010, 19:18   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
My car is usually washed on Monday morning. I do not bother to clean it in between. I think we met on a Thursday?
Have you tried the Jopasu duster? It works like a charm!

I too get the car washed once a week and dust off the dirt on other days.

Have a safe return trip!
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:00   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
According to UK experience: it is not a fog light for reversing, it is a high intensity rear light that gives better indication of your presence to those speeding towards your backside in fog.

I wonder if these VWs have the same rear fog light that they would have in Europe?
Bingo!

Hey Thad, isin't rear fog mandatory in UK? Seen some cars with standalone external fog whereas others have it integrated inside the tailight housing. (at first glance looks like the car has a burned out tailight on one side)
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:24   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
isn't rear fog mandatory in UK?
No idea. Thing is, that unless one is buying a really, really old car, we take for the granted the fact that it complies! And it is one of those things that you only really notice when it is turned on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:44   #604
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And it is one of those things that you only really notice when it is turned on.
Yes. I had not really noticed it. I was all the while thinking that it comes on only with the reverse gear engaged.

Sorry for the confusion!

Update at 9000 Kms: ODO reads 9200 kms. Checked engine oil level and found to be low. Had to top it up - It took about 500 ml. I got it done at VW downtown. Also, I got the air filter cleaned.

Manual says that the oil consumption can be up to 500 ml per 1000 Kms?!

Can any one through some light on oil consumption in Diesel engines, in general - Across Manufacturers?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 00:00   #605

for one, the Fiat multijet 1.3 's in both 75 and 90 hp guises (all applications) DO NOT CONSUME oil. The innova doesnt either.
shreevishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 00:58   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update at 9000 Kms: ODO reads 9200 kms. Checked engine oil level and found to be low. Had to top it up - It took about 500 ml. I got it done at VW downtown. Also, I got the air filter cleaned.

Manual says that the oil consumption can be up to 500 ml per 1000 Kms?!

Can any one through some light on oil consumption in Diesel engines, in general - Across Manufacturers?
I checked the oil level of our polo too today and its about 4-500 ml less. Its 8k kms plus on the clock. I will visit the service station this weekend.

in between, did the service station charge you for the top up?

Talking about manuals, manuals of different cars state different terms. The manual of Mitsubishi Cedia states that the engine can consume oil if driven in extreme conditions but it does not give any figures. The manual of Honda civic states that the engine can consume 1L engine oil in 1k kms if driven in extreme conditions. I still havent checked what manual of polo petrol says, will check it tomorrow.

But I believe high revving engines do consume some oil compared to the normal engines. I have seen n number of civics (total capacity 3.7L) which consume upto 1L engine oil in 10k kms. I have again seen n number of pajeros (total capacity around 7L +) which consume upto 1.5L engine oil in 10k kms. Most of these cars were driven in and around delhi and no extreme conditions.

Oil cunsumption again has been similar across all VW cars. All cars including jetta and passat have been reported to consume oil.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th September 2010 at 01:14.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 09:11   #607
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
in between, did the service station charge you for the top up?
They charged me for the Oil - Since it is treated as part of the fuel consumption, as mentioned in the manual. But they did not charge me any thing for the labor.

I was given an oil can of 1 Ltr, with an artificial leather pouch and a cleaning towel - for Rs. 970/-. Half of it was used and balance is kept in the car, for future use.

I will leave the car for service at 15000 Kms on the ODO. Engine Oil will be changed free of cost. So, going by the same frequency, I have to use the rest of the can at 24000 Kms on the ODO. That is fine I suppose. Also, the manual says that the Oil consumption will reduce gradually. let us wait and watch!!

However I would suggest all Owners to check oil level every 3000 Kms, to be on the safer side. It is a good idea to get the air-filters cleaned after every 5000 Kms.

What happens if we do not check the Oil level, and keep running the car?: I spoke to the Service engineer at VW Downtown - If the Oil level goes below the minimum permissible level, the Oil light will come on in the console. Once this light comes on, we need to fill the Oil with-in 200 Kms. If we do this, engine will be safe.

But, if in case, we are loading the engine - Like, towing another car, Racing & high reeving, or even in case of a very long tour...etc - We need to manually check the Oil level and top-up if required.

Edit: Driving habits/requirements like, lugging the engine, starting in the 2nd gear, excessive B2B driving...etc - can lead to engine oil consumption.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 24th September 2010 at 09:22.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:30   #608
BHPian

Smile Visibility of black colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

Black is always a very difficult colour to maintain but at the same time it is very rewarding too. When a black car has that wet look, nothing can equal it except perhaps the red on the Polo.
I am told - Generally, people who have to travel a lot on highway need to avoid Black and Navy blue as these colours are not very easily visible.

Perhaps thats why Police cars as well as dignitaries cars are black in colour.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 09:31   #609
Senior - BHPian

Chethan what is the case with petrol Polos? Do they consume oil? Do they change engine oil free of cost for first service?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 09:36   #610
Senior - BHPian

I have not seen my Civic consume any oil. I dont drive in extreme conditions and not sure many drive here. Its been true for all my cars.
Oil consumption is not a good thing.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 11:20   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They charged me for the Oil - Since it is treated as part of the fuel consumption, as mentioned in the manual. But they did not charge me any thing for the labor.

But thats not really right, whats the AMC for?

I was given an oil can of 1 Ltr, with an artificial leather pouch and a cleaning towel - for Rs. 970/-. Half of it was used and balance is kept in the car, for future use.

Ya, must be castol synthetic.

Also, the manual says that the Oil consumption will reduce gradually. let us wait and watch!!

Difficult to say. Basically the piston rings doesnt allow the oil to move into the combustion chamber (and viceversa not allowing air and fuel mixture to enter the sump area) , and if there is oil consumption it should actually increase as piston rings wear, ofcourse over a long period.

However I would suggest all Owners to check oil level every 3000 Kms, to be on the safer side. It is a good idea to get the air-filters cleaned after every 5000 Kms.

the same will ensure trouble free long term ownership.

What happens if we do not check the Oil level, and keep running the car?: I spoke to the Service engineer at VW Downtown - If the Oil level goes below the minimum permissible level, the Oil light will come on in the console. Once this light comes on, we need to fill the Oil with-in 200 Kms. If we do this, engine will be safe.

Oil light coming in is not at all a good sign. I dont know the oil capacity of polo's engine but for eg if its 3Litres, the oil light will come when only 800ml or less is left in the engine. I saw an accord recently at the Honda service station which was being used as a taxi and it used to consume about 3 L plus oil in some 5k kms. the driver reported that the oil light comes only when some 1 L oil is left. The same goes for lancer too, the service engineer tolld me that oil light comes up when 1L or less is in the sump. I believe its best to check the deep stick and do the need ful as and when required.

But, if in case, we are loading the engine - Like, towing another car, Racing & high reeving, or even in case of a very long tour...etc - We need to manually check the Oil level and top-up if required.

Edit: Driving habits/requirements like, lugging the engine, starting in the 2nd gear, excessive B2B driving...etc - can lead to engine oil consumption.
Dont know, but all cars at home are occasionally revved high, have been on long tours, have been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic but only civic (consumes just under 500ml in 5k kms) and Polo (consumed about 500ml in 8k kms) have consumed oil. Other cars including 800, swift, cedia or alto 1.1 have never consumed oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have not seen my Civic consume any oil. I dont drive in extreme conditions and not sure many drive here. Its been true for all my cars.
Oil consumption definitely isnt a good thing but dont know why its becoming a common thing with the high revving engines. Logically, oil consumption is only possible when the piston rings go kaput.

Also, have you checked that the service center doesnt top up the oil during 5K service, they normally do it, have seen with number of Hondas, including the one we have at home. Ofcourse, I am not stating that all Hondas consume oil but this is what I have observed in atleast 3 cars out of 10. Its the same case with a few VWs I saw at the service station. Probably, the ratio of VWs must be 6 of every 10 cars

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th September 2010 at 11:33.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 11:25   #612
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chethan what is the case with petrol Polos? Do they consume oil? Do they change engine oil free of cost for first service?
Normally, Petrol engines do not consume Oil after the first 2000 Kms. This is from my experience. Again, manual says that the consumption will be more during the initial period (first few thousand kilometers). Oil capacity is 3 Ltrs. I case of Gaurav, he has filled about 400/500 ml. IMO, this is OK for 3 reasons:
  • We do not know the level of oil initially filled. We are only observing the window, and filling in if necessary. Change in reference can make a difference of about 100 ml.
  • Initially, until the engine sets, it might consume a bit of Oil, since all the seatings are not set.
  • Most other cars, will have it's first service done very early. Therefore, it can go un-noticed.
I have heard many people talking about Oil consumption in Diesel engines. Gurus can clarify on this point.

Poloman - Oil is changed free of cost during service if the car is covered under AMC. My car is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Ideally speaking - You are right. But for Diesel engines, due to high pressures involved, a bit of it can escape. So, AFAIK there will be a bit of Oil consumption.

Regarding your Civic and other cars: When was the first service done?
Old 24th September 2010, 12:56   #613
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

But thats not really right, whats the AMC for?

I would be happy if it is replaced free of cost! Never came across a similar situation earlier. Let me see what happens to the consumption as time passes.

Difficult to say. Basically the piston rings doesnt allow the oil to move into the combustion chamber (and viceversa not allowing air and fuel mixture to enter the sump area) , and if there is oil consumption it should actually increase as piston rings wear, ofcourse over a long period.

Initially, until the engine set-in, consumption can be expected. After that, it will reduce since the engine parts have set. After a long time, consumption can increase due to wear & tear. But, that is different.

I believe its best to check the deep stick and do the need ful as and when required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Dont know, but all cars at home are occasionally revved high, have been on long tours, have been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic but only civic (consumes just under 500ml in 5k kms) and Polo (consumed about 500ml in 8k kms) have consumed oil. Other cars including 800, swift, cedia or alto 1.1 have never consumed oil.
Occasional high reeving will definitely not make an impact. We all do it. I was only referring to Planned Activities.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:18   #614
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up ICE for Polo!

I am planning to have the Head Unit changed to the one that comes as a OEM in 2010 model Ford-Endeavor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-2.html (My new Ford Endeavour AT: Initial Report)

This is an in-dash Kenwood double-din music system with features like, BT, DVD-Video, USB, AUX-in, Rear Camera, AM/FM, TV, GPS & 7" Touch screen. BT & GPS (MapmyIndia) are built in. Fascia adapter is available for Polo. Coupling converter is available from Blaupunkt (Polo OEM Head Unit) to Kenwood audio systems - Therefore, no need to cut wires. It will be a clean installation.

I plan to retain the same set of Speakers and Antenna wiring - So that nun of the cables are tampered with. Main idea is to get better features, rather than a better sound quality. Entire set including Adapters, couplings, installation, warranty - Will cost roughly about Rs.60,000/-

Any comments, opinions, suggestions, recommendations - are welcome!! Thanks in advance!!
Old 26th September 2010, 11:45   #615
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to have the Head Unit changed to the one that comes as a OEM in 2010 model Ford-Endeavor.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-2.html (My new Ford Endeavour AT: Initial Report)

This is an in-dash Kenwood double-din music system with features like, BT, DVD-Video, USB, AUX-in, Rear Camera, AM/FM, TV, GPS & 7" Touch screen. BT & GPS (MapmyIndia) are built in. Fascia adapter is available for Polo. Coupling converter is available from Blaupunkt (Polo OEM Head Unit) to Kenwood audio systems - Therefore, no need to cut wires. It will be a clean installation.

I plan to retain the same set of Speakers and Antenna wiring - So that nun of the cables are tampered with. Main idea is to get better features, rather than a better sound quality. Entire set including Adapters, couplings, installation, warranty - Will cost roughly about Rs.60,000/-

Any comments, opinions, suggestions, recommendations - are welcome!! Thanks in advance!!
The head unit looks wow!

Even though you said audio quality is not a priority, I think since you are spending so much money you might as well put in some more and get some good speakers since the once on the Polo boom when a little bass is applied. Some one also said this is an easy process and no wires are cut.

I think you can also connect a rear view camera to this.

Do you know the model number of the Kenwood system? Then you can check on the web if the price is reasonable.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote