Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th September 2010, 10:15   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Guys
How's the quality of VW OEM accesories like the mud flaps, mats, reverse sensors and sill-plate? Any reviews on that?

Its availabe as a dealer fitted accesory. Isint it?

BTW, what is the weak link in the stock audio. The HU or speakers?

PS: I've been bitten by the bug too and a Polo 1.2p HL has been booked. Hence the questions.
Quality of mud flaps & mats are much better than the ones usually given as freebies by dealers. I found the mats to be comparable to the ones I bought from an accessory shop for my previous car. The quality can be rated as medium, not very good but not too poor either.

Door sill has Polo lettering and it being a visible part, I think it is better to go with the VW one.

I am not sure if it is effective though. I see footmarks everywhere EXCEPT the door sill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Concept T-VW70 OEM Navigation Systems - Video/Multimedia at Onlinecarstereo.com

How is this option?

Compatibility needs to be checked.

Any details on RNS series?
Chethan, personally I didn't like the Concept one.

I prefer Kenwood because I think most stock units are built to a price and don't come anywhere near the ones available in the after-market in terms of sound quality or features. And if I am not mistaken, the install is also included in the 60K, right?

Bora is similar in appearance to the stock unit and the price of ~40K makes it quite appealing.

ICE gurus may help you decide better. I think once you narrow down your choices, you can post in the ICE section and they should be able to guide you better.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 28th September 2010 at 10:18.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 22:20   #632
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Chethan, personally I didn't like the Concept one.

I prefer Kenwood because I think most stock units are built to a price and don't come anywhere near the ones available in the after-market in terms of sound quality or features. And if I am not mistaken, the install is also included in the 60K, right?

Bora is similar in appearance to the stock unit and the price of ~40K makes it quite appealing.

ICE gurus may help you decide better. I think once you narrow down your choices, you can post in the ICE section and they should be able to guide you better.
I fully agree with you. I am sure that I will get a lot better system from Kenwood. I have almost made-up my mind on it. Since I had a week's time to place an order, I was trying to check if any thing else is also available as choice.

This Kenwood would have been excellent if it was totally flat. But it has a rounded pencil like border at the bottom. This is my only worry. I have to see how the fascia adapter will take care of it.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 23:16   #633
BHPian

Chetan, great going...now you are also caught up in this ICE madness,LOL. I just upgraded mine last week.

I was told by the Kenwood auth representative in Chennai (Nippon Audiotronix) that Kenwood's topmost model avlbl in India is DDX8036BT - it mrp is 59,990/- but post discount etc was avlbl for 56K. I earlier zeroed in on DDX896 avlbl in USA and was almost ready to import when someone mentioned the equivalent model in India in 8036. I even got this unit for my ICE install, but unfortunately, the CD mechanism did not work during install process - though Nippon promised to replace the same initially, next day they started dilly-dallying and insisted on repairing the same. Cash was still not paid upto that time by my ICE installer, and hence dumped the unit. It had some other issues as well - like slow interface etc, however, few mins of auditon was possible by playing thru USB stick - the guys who listened to it said it was mind-blowing. Sad, that the support from Nippon was a downer, and I had to go ahead with a JVC HU setup (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...nemascope.html)

You should'nt be unduly worried about wire cutting etc. At a good installer, no wires will be cut - it will remain as it is. For examply, for me, the OEM wires are left intact in its place - only the speakers, HU has been removed...even the OEM hu connectors are left inside - so that if and when I decide to sell the car, the old setup can be easily put in place if reqd. The installer can draw new set of wires without disturbing the existing ones - you just need to bear the cost of the new set of good quality/higher or lower guage wires as maybe the case.

Man, with a 1L+ budget you can do wonders...go slow on this and ensure to get to a good installer - dealer might not be the best choice when it comes to high end install.

Have you tried auditioning some good, high-end install in your city? Maybe worth a try before you finalize.

Last edited by sanjayc : 28th September 2010 at 23:19.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 08:43   #634
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Reverse sensor is good. But the rest of the accessories are just average.

Dealer fits a "MapmyIndia" accessory. This is not an in-dash fitment. So has all the inconveniences attached to it.

Stock audio is short of features. That is it. Sound quality is fine - If you are not of a very demanding type. It is just that, our hands are itching to get more!

You are most welcome to ask anything. 1.2p HL is a good choice. All the best!!

Akshay @ Any idea about this one?

Caska
Hi Chetan,
Did the VW dealer sell you the MapMyIndia navi system? Which dealer is it?
njh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:00   #635
BHPian

Quote:

Driver2000 - Please remove the spare wheel, turn it upside down - And then, fill/check air!!!!!!!!!

Sorry!! That is the only to do it.
Hehe... ask a stupid question! Sad though, seems to be one definite area of improvement that VW should be looking at. I definitely shudder to think of the time spent at the petrol bunk turning the wheel upside down, specially when there are more people behind me in the queue!
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 15:32   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you check your spare every time you fill with air?

Reminds me that I should check mine sometimes! The last thing one needs is a flat spare on the day it is needed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 20:38   #637
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Chetan, great going...now you are also caught up in this ICE madness,LOL. I just upgraded mine last week.

You should'nt be unduly worried about wire cutting etc. At a good installer, no wires will be cut - it will remain as it is. For examply, for me, the OEM wires are left intact in its place - only the speakers, HU has been removed...even the OEM hu connectors are left inside - so that if and when I decide to sell the car, the old setup can be easily put in place if reqd. The installer can draw new set of wires without disturbing the existing ones - you just need to bear the cost of the new set of good quality/higher or lower guage wires as maybe the case.

Have you tried auditioning some good, high-end install in your city? Maybe worth a try before you finalize.
Thanks Sunjay! Your setup is mind blowing!

I will do my homework as you said. But right now, my mind is almost set on Kenwood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
Hi Chetan,
Did the VW dealer sell you the MapMyIndia navi system? Which dealer is it?
I did not buy one. But you can get one with any one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
I definitely shudder to think of the time spent at the petrol bunk turning the wheel upside down, specially when there are more people behind me in the queue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you check your spare every time you fill with air?

Reminds me that I should check mine sometimes! The last thing one needs is a flat spare on the day it is needed.
I usually keep the spare wheel pressure at 50 Psi & check it once in 3 months. Usually pressure will not drop down below 35 Psi during the span - That solves the problem. I have been doing this from donkey's years - Which ever way the wheel is positioned.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:10   #638
BHPian

Quote:
I will do my homework as you said. But right now, my mind is almost set on Kenwood!
Chethan, I was wondering if you are getting new speakers as well whether you can install the speakers first and see how they perform with the stock HU. I would like to know how much difference just changing the speakers would make.

I would definitely go with the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV.
Old 29th September 2010, 22:50   #639
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Chethan, I was wondering if you are getting new speakers as well whether you can install the speakers first and see how they perform with the stock HU. I would like to know how much difference just changing the speakers would make.

I would definitely go with the Kenwood DNX7360BTNAV.
That is a good idea!

Will concentrate on speakers, which will physically fit-in & also come with identical couplers. Along with that, I will also order for the Fascia adapter & the coupling converter for the HU. That way, I will know what to except.

I agree on the DNX7360BTNAV.

There ends the search. Now starts the execution part!!
Old 30th September 2010, 21:46   #640
BHPian

Hi Chethan,

I am eagerly following your ICE hunt, as I am also on the lookout for replacing the stock ICE in my Vento (whenever I get it!)

DNX7360BTNAV seems to be a good choice.

Please continue updating us with your progress.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:13   #641
BHPian

The S.P told me that the tyre air pressure values are mentioned near the doors on a sticker. Couldn't locate any.
Chethan, could you help me with the front and rear tyre pressure figures for Polo?
Infantarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:12   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
The S.P told me that the tyre air pressure values are mentioned near the doors on a sticker. Couldn't locate any.
Chethan, could you help me with the front and rear tyre pressure figures for Polo?
I think Chethan mentioned somewhere that he keeps all tyres at 32 psi. And the spare tyre at 50 psi .

I too have been following that except for the spare tyre.

The sticker can be seen if you open the driver's door fully (I think). However it is a little confusing as it lists front and rear tyre pressure according to number of passengers.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:36   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Open the fuel tank lid, tire pressure based on tire size/load is mentioned.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:25   #644
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
I think Chethan mentioned somewhere that he keeps all tyres at 32 psi. And the spare tyre at 50 psi.

I too have been following that except for the spare tyre.
32 psi will be better. A bit more than recommended by the manufacturer.

Yes. I keep 50 psi (Read as "much higher pressure than recommended") on the spare tyre. This allows me to forget about the spare tyre, for 3 months easily. Here, logic is what is important. If 50 psi looks too high, than 40 psi would be better.

ICE upgrade is getting more complicated! - Today I had been to the accessories shop, and now - The guy says DNX7360BTNAV is not available, but DDX8036BT is available for 60K. This model is just GPS ready but not built-in. So, GPS has to be added. Also, electrical coupling converter is not complete. It has a connector on one end, which connects to the car's harness. But, on the other side (side to be connected to the HU), their is no connector. Wires are left open. This was something different than what he had mentioned before. So, I am planning to check with other vendors.

Speakers - I am looking at replacing the stock speakers by component (6.5" woofer & a tweeter with passive crossover network ) or co-axial speakers, on all the 4 doors. Which is a better option? Details & recommendations are requested - WRT technique, brand, cost,..etc.

Brake jam!! : Sorry not bread jam!!

I was out of station for a week & I had left my car with hand brake on. Today, the car did not move!! I tried activating / de-activating the hand brake, several times - But their was no improvement. I engaged the car in reverse gear and slowly released the clutch. With a thud sound coming from the wheels, the brake got released. After that, there was no problem.

I have noticed that whenever I do a bit of spirited driving and after that, park the car for a long time, applying hand brake - The brake jams. Is this something to do with the material used on the brake shoe? Any idea? Anyone?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 3rd October 2010 at 01:28.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:46   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I keep 50 psi (Read as "much higher pressure than recommended") on the spare tyre. This allows me to forget about the spare tyre, for 3 months easily. Here, logic is what is important. If 50 psi looks too high, than 40 psi would be better.
Honestly, I have never checked the tyre pressure on any spare tyre up till now. I have mostly forgotten that one exists!

I think 40 psi sounds reasonable.

Quote:
I have noticed that whenever I do a bit of spirited driving and after that, park the car for a long time, applying hand brake - The brake jams. Is this something to do with the material used on the brake shoe? Any idea? Anyone?
I think this will turn into a major problem.

My wife usually applies the hand brake lightly and keeps the gear in first. I think it is better not to try our luck but to work around the problem.

We seem to be back to square one with the ICE. Chethan, have you checked other brands notably Alpine? I have used it on the Merc and found it to be good.