Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd October 2010, 10:15   #646
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
We seem to be back to square one with the ICE. Chethan, have you checked other brands notably Alpine? I have used it on the Merc and found it to be good.
Caska? - I spoke to a person representing Caska in Bangalore. He says that he has a system designed for Jetta, readily available. HU - Tailor made for Polo will be available by 15th of this month. He procures it based on orders, so I have to place an order now. It will cost Rs. 47,800/-

This system will have all features we have been discussing until now, as built-in - will be plug & play with plug compatibility, even the control buttons match, no need for a Fascia adapter.

Any idea about Caska? Anyone?

Below link shows a system designed for VW-Touareg.

Caska
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:11   #647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Caska? - I spoke to a person representing Caska in Bangalore. He says that he has a system designed for Jetta, readily available. HU - Tailor made for Polo will be available by 15th of this month. He procures it based on orders, so I have to place an order now. It will cost Rs. 47,800/-

This system will have all features we have been discussing until now, as built-in - will be plug & play with plug compatibility, even the control buttons match, no need for a Fascia adapter.

Caska
Why not go ahead with the Caska HU then? The Kenwood seems it will end up being much more expensive. And you arent really planning a very high end set-up so if the sound quality from the Caska is slightly inferior to the kenwood it wont really matter.

I suggest you get 6.5" components for the front, and co-axials for the rear door. Not planning on any amp are you?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:33   #648

Exclamation

Quote:

Brake jam!! : Sorry not bread jam!!

I was out of station for a week & I had left my car with hand brake on. Today, the car did not move!! I tried activating / de-activating the hand brake, several times - But their was no improvement. I engaged the car in reverse gear and slowly released the clutch. With a thud sound coming from the wheels, the brake got released. After that, there was no problem.

I have noticed that whenever I do a bit of spirited driving and after that, park the car for a long time, applying hand brake - The brake jams. Is this something to do with the material used on the brake shoe? Any idea? Anyone?
Chetan this is a safety critical issue, VW better clean up their act. This warrants a recall, along with advice not to use vehicle till a fix is found.

Please have your vehicle checked ASAP at a dealer.

FYI, i used to work with an OEM, you should be asking VW to address such dangers before launch.
shreevishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:35   #649
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Why not go ahead with the Caska HU then? The Kenwood seems it will end up being much more expensive. And you arent really planning a very high end set-up so if the sound quality from the Caska is slightly inferior to the kenwood it wont really matter.

I suggest you get 6.5" components for the front, and co-axials for the rear door. Not planning on any amp are you?
You are right. Caska will do. But then, I needed some information on that. I have read in some review that the battery drains off, if the HU fitment is not done well. Any idea / review on Caska HU's?

Combination of components in the front and co-axials in the rear is a good idea. Make & cost? Any idea?
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:02   #650
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
Chetan this is a safety critical issue, VW better clean up their act. This warrants a recall, along with advice not to use vehicle till a fix is found.

Please have your vehicle checked ASAP at a dealer.

FYI, i used to work with an OEM, you should be asking VW to address such dangers before launch.
Can you please explain, how this can be a safety critical issue?
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:36   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea / review on Caska HU's?
Check this out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tomatic-8.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/product-discussions/72773-got-caska-hu-my-crv.html

I think it'll look great on the polo!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:10   #652
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Thanks Anekho! That was a nice bit of information. Looks fool proof too.

I am thinking:
  1. Is it worth spending 11K extra for TPMS? (Tyre pressure monitoring system)
  2. Now that I have the Reverse Parking Sensor, should I still go for the Reverse Camera?
  3. How good is the SatGuide Maps for GPS? Any idea? Anyone?
  4. After this is done, should I keep the stock HU & Speakers OR sell them?
Presently, I am doing some research on Component Vs Co-axial Speakers. Cost for both is almost the same. Technically, which is a better option?
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:56   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anekho! That was a nice bit of information. Looks fool proof too.

I am thinking:
  1. Is it worth spending 11K extra for TPMS? (Tyre pressure monitoring system)
  2. Now that I have the Reverse Parking Sensor, should I still go for the Reverse Camera?
  3. How good is the SatGuide Maps for GPS? Any idea? Anyone?
  4. After this is done, should I keep the stock HU & Speakers OR sell them?
Presently, I am doing some research on Component Vs Co-axial Speakers. Cost for both is almost the same. Technically, which is a better option?
I got the reverse cam but actually IMO, it is un-natural to focus at the center console while reversing - I still rely on the sound-emitting parking sensor. Also the reverse camera video feed is not that great to exactly judge the corners - orvms are better in this regard.

In case you are going for a premium, high end HU, it makes sense in keeping the stock HU, so that all stock items can be fitted back if & when you decide to sell the car.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:23   #654

Quote:
Can you please explain, how this can be a safety critical issue?
Chetan, any jamming of this kind in the parking brake system is usually due to faulty hand brake cable, or lack of lubrication between the cable casing and the inner cable itself. Repeated jamming and un-jamming, can cause the cable to lose its strength, therefore making the handbrake inoperable.
shreevishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:09   #655
BHPian

Quote:

Caska
Hi chetan, i was looking for a similar HU for my Polo.
I came across CASKA as well.Though it has many features but its quite expensive as well. I am not sure if this is chinese as well. Also some of the features like TPMS may not be necessary required by everyone.
But for me the biggest letdown was that the HU although would be a perfect fit for the Polo, does not look like the OEM ones that come in Passat and golf.
I have gone for another chinese brand named Witson. Comparing it with the available model from CASKA, this had a higher rez screen and ofcourse looks completely OEM. Its being sold in USA, Poland, China, HK, Malaysia, singapore, etc. so i am hoping that the reliability would be good enough.

I have ordered the model W2-D723V and it costs around 330$ without shipping and customs. Waiting for the delivery.
I guess that the Witson looks OEM , has a better screen rez (compared to the caska model available in India) and is ofcourse cheaper. The quality looks good enough.
The Kenwood on the other hand is a completely different story, and will no doubt be mich better than these two and so costs more as well.

I will give a detail review of the unit once i get it (hoping the customs don't screw me with their absurd duties!!)
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:30   #656
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Hi chetan, i was looking for a similar HU for my Polo.
I came across CASKA as well.Though it has many features but its quite expensive as well. I am not sure if this is chinese as well. Also some of the features like TPMS may not be necessary required by everyone.
But for me the biggest letdown was that the HU although would be a perfect fit for the Polo, does not look like the OEM ones that come in Passat and golf.
I have gone for another chinese brand named Witson. Comparing it with the available model from CASKA, this had a higher rez screen and ofcourse looks completely OEM. Its being sold in USA, Poland, China, HK, Malaysia, singapore, etc. so i am hoping that the reliability would be good enough.

I have ordered the model W2-D723V and it costs around 330$ without shipping and customs. Waiting for the delivery.
I guess that the Witson looks OEM , has a better screen rez (compared to the caska model available in India) and is ofcourse cheaper. The quality looks good enough.
The Kenwood on the other hand is a completely different story, and will no doubt be mich better than these two and so costs more as well.

I will give a detail review of the unit once i get it (hoping the customs don't screw me with their absurd duties!!)
This one looks great!!

VOLKSWAGEN SAGITAR/MAGOTAN----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Manufacturer

Few queries though:
  • Plug compatibility for Indian Polo?
  • After Sales Service?
  • GPS Map?
  • Customs Duty %?
Have you corresponded with the vendor about all this? Can you share?
Old 4th October 2010, 13:07   #657
BHPian

I need a suggestion/advice from the long time polo owners :

I would be getting my Polo mostly by this week or next. We had planned for a long road-trip from hyderabad to Kochin (kerala) during end of October. And this is already the first week of Oct.

Question is : Can I take the car out on such a long trip ( almost 1100 kms ), just after 3 weeks of taking delivery ? I have already read on this forum that Polo does not have a run-in period, but is there any other factors that I need to worry about in this situation ?

Chetan/poloman - Need specific advice from you guys, as i have been reading about your road-trip experiences with your Polo.

Alex.

Last edited by alexkrish : 4th October 2010 at 13:11.
alexkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:27   #658
BHPian

Quote:

Caska
There are 2 models on that page. Which model is it for Rs. 47,900?

The colour seems to be grey, so I am not sure how well it will go in the Polo.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 14:57   #659
BHPian

Quote:
This one looks great!!

VOLKSWAGEN SAGITAR/MAGOTAN----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Manufacturer

Few queries though:
  • Plug compatibility for Indian Polo?
  • After Sales Service?
  • GPS Map?
  • Customs Duty %?
Have you corresponded with the vendor about all this? Can you share?
-As far as the plug compatibility goes, its a simple plug-n-play operation. I have already sold off my original Polo HU. The car has standard ISO connectors (Two 8-pin rectangle connectors;black and brown) and the Witson HU also has the standard connector. If the connectors don't fit, its a simple case of finding a suitable adapter/coupler.

-The unit is WinCe 5.0 based meaning you can install pretty much any Win CE based gps software on it. With this price, you will have to take the pain of finding a suitable gps software and then buy the MMI or satguide maps.

- custom duty on automotive electronics is ~ 26.5% roughly about 5,000/- and the vendor has been kind enough to quote whatever price you want on your package.
However, it all depends on the INDIAN CUSTOMS in the end!
Alternately, you can ask a local audioshop guy to import it for you and you can pay him a bit extra.

-and finally the after sales service in India is sadly non-existent. Thats the hard truth. It does come with a 1yr warranty but then you would have to ship this unit to CHINA!
However, both CASKA and Witson are chinese manufacturers. A mere visit to both the websites will bring out a lot of similarities. So expect a similar if not same quality for both CASKA and Witson.
The only thing you can try if the product does go wrong is seek out the help of a CASKA reseller.

So all in all there are quite a bit of compromises to be made for this steep price. I just didn't have the budget of 40k+ to spend on a HU but moreover, i wanted the OEM look you get in the passats and jettas. The original VW HU; RCD-510 costs about 65k in India and doesn't have GPS in it. Plus my dealer tried to install in a customers polo and there have been compatibility problems with it.

Buying this unit certainly does have its risks though!

I have bought this unit & a rear view camera for a total amount of 458$.
Its a bit expensive because i choose DHL (they use a cheaper EMS) and i paid them via paypal which had an additional 6% fee. Now it all depends on the customs!
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 19:12   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
-As far as the plug compatibility goes, its a simple plug-n-play operation. I have already sold off my original Polo HU. The car has standard ISO connectors (Two 8-pin rectangle connectors;black and brown) and the Witson HU also has the standard connector. If the connectors don't fit, its a simple case of finding a suitable adapter/coupler.

-The unit is WinCe 5.0 based meaning you can install pretty much any Win CE based gps software on it. With this price, you will have to take the pain of finding a suitable gps software and then buy the MMI or satguide maps.

- custom duty on automotive electronics is ~ 26.5% roughly about 5,000/- and the vendor has been kind enough to quote whatever price you want on your package.
However, it all depends on the INDIAN CUSTOMS in the end!
Alternately, you can ask a local audioshop guy to import it for you and you can pay him a bit extra.

-and finally the after sales service in India is sadly non-existent. Thats the hard truth. It does come with a 1yr warranty but then you would have to ship this unit to CHINA!
However, both CASKA and Witson are chinese manufacturers. A mere visit to both the websites will bring out a lot of similarities. So expect a similar if not same quality for both CASKA and Witson.
The only thing you can try if the product does go wrong is seek out the help of a CASKA reseller.

So all in all there are quite a bit of compromises to be made for this steep price. I just didn't have the budget of 40k+ to spend on a HU but moreover, i wanted the OEM look you get in the passats and jettas. The original VW HU; RCD-510 costs about 65k in India and doesn't have GPS in it. Plus my dealer tried to install in a customers polo and there have been compatibility problems with it.

Buying this unit certainly does have its risks though!

I have bought this unit & a rear view camera for a total amount of 458$.
Its a bit expensive because i choose DHL (they use a cheaper EMS) and i paid them via paypal which had an additional 6% fee. Now it all depends on the customs!
Very informative post, AnkitPrashar!

So you mean the Witson one (plus camera) cost $458 or around 21K? Now that's a steal and it seems to be worth taking a risk on.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you get for the Polo stock HU?

Also I am a little confused... Which one do you buy, Witson or Caska? Any pics would be appreciated.

Thanks!
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote