Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th October 2010, 19:44   #661
BHPian

yup 458$ and it could be cheaper if you are willing to pay them via Western Union and get it shipped via EMS.
I was able to sell the stock polo HU via the dealer for 9k. I don't think now you can sell it for so much. 5-6k should be good enough.

Well i have taken the risk and bought a Witson, obviously waiting to get it shipped and cleared by customs.
I think Caska is no doubt a safe bet but the price difference is huge and let me tell you in reality the price of the caska HU would be same but its just that it is the only company in India so its charging its own price!

I will put up a small review of the unit when I manage to get it.
But again buy it at your own risk, i am in no way guaranteeing that it will work fine.

anyways here is a comprehensive video review of this unit from another person:-

Witson W2 D723V Quick Video Review Series
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 19:57   #662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
The original VW HU; RCD-510 costs about 65k in India and doesn't have GPS in it. Plus my dealer tried to install in a customers polo and there have been compatibility problems with it.
Thats because from what I know the VAG-COM has to be coded correctly even for installing an HU. The indian dealers barely know about all this stuff. Of course if its a non VW HU then just plug and play.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:35   #663
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkrish View Post
Can I take the car out on such a long trip ( almost 1100 kms ), just after 3 weeks of taking delivery ? I have already read on this forum that Polo does not have a run-in period, but is there any other factors that I need to worry about in this situation ?
Hi Alex! A long trip is the right thing to do in the Run-In Period! It will do a world of good to your new car. Just make sure that you do not exceed 75% of the engine speed. That is, (for example) if the red line starts at 6000 RPM, restrict yourself below 4500 RPM - in 3rd, 4th & 5th Gear. In the first & second Gear, stay below 50%, that is 3000 RPM. This is until you cross the company recommended run-in period. After that, increase engine speed gradually - about 500 RPM every 200 Kms.

It is not just the engine which needs to be run-in. Suspension parts, brake assembly, transmission parts, tyres...etc, will all require your care. Go easy on everything. But, don't worry. All these parts are designed to take the brunt.

Relax & Enjoy! All the Best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
There are 2 models on that page. Which model is it for Rs. 47,900?

The colour seems to be grey, so I am not sure how well it will go in the Polo.
The second one. But any way, that was only a sample. Not made for Polo. Polo specific HU will be available after 15th of this month in Bangalore. If it is Caska, I have decided that I will personally have a look at the system & then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Buying this unit certainly does have its risks though!
Thanks a lot for the details, Ankit! I completely agree with you. Risks are definitely worth it!

My BIL is coming from US this month end, I will try to get an unit for myself through him, if possible. But before that, I have time to personally inspect "Made for Polo Caska HU".

Quote:
Very informative post, AnkitPrashar!

So you mean the Witson one (plus camera) cost $458 or around 21K? Now that's a steal and it seems to be worth taking a risk on.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you get for the Polo stock HU?

Also I am a little confused... Which one do you buy, Witson or Caska? Any pics would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Nowwhat, finally options are opening up for Polo!! I can tell you that people who buy Polo after another couple of months, will not have an issue figuring out all this!!

By the way, Witson pics are available on the net. URL is in the previous page on this thread. Have a look at it. It is very exciting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats because from what I know the VAG-COM has to be coded correctly even for installing an HU. The indian dealers barely know about all this stuff. Of course if its a non VW HU then just plug and play.
So much of a suspense for an ICE!!!! It makes it worth cracking this puzzle!! Let us do it!!

Speakers upgrade for Polo:

Today, I got the speakers upgraded on my Polo. I got Hertz Co-Axial DCX-165 Speakers, for all the four doors. These speakers are of 120W PMPO (Approx: 60W RMS) and have a good audio clarity. The entire set including installation costed me Rs.7100/-. After installing this, sound quality has improved by at-least 50%. Booming, which was observed with the stock speakers, is completely eliminated. IMO, it is worth the money I spent.

I have got this done by "Junction", located in front of R.V college of Physiotherapy, Jayanagar 4th Block, Bangalore. Good knowledge on the products. Excellent service. Experienced staff. I will be getting Kagu 3D mats & Head light up-gradation from them, next week. IMHO, very dependable set of people.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pa040012.jpg

Details are as follows:

Stock speakers are riveted at four places. This was removed by drilling with a 7.5 mm drill bit.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pa040007.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pa040009.jpg

New speakers (any make, unless it is a compact one), have higher depth & and also have a different mounting position. If this is mounted directly, speaker magnet will obstruct the movement of the window glass. To avoid this, a spacer ring made-out of wood, was used. Spacers were fitted first & then the speakers were fitted over it.

Thickness of the spacers for the front windows: 19mm
Thickness of the spacers for the rear windows: 12mm

Dampeners were used around the speakers. Non of the wires were cut. Very neat work.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pa040010.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pa040011.jpg

Last, but not the least!! A pic I had forgotten to upload!! This in enroute to Bellary.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9220005.jpg

Last edited by Chethan B G : 4th October 2010 at 21:50.
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 22:13   #664
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, now that you have been bitten by the ice bug your upgrades wont stop. Wait till you upgrade your HU and you will again see an increase in the sound quality.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 22:24   #665
BHPian

So now that everyone has made up their mind on either the Caska or Witson, I give you this... The Motevo for Rs. 38,000.

eBay India: Motevo All-in-one In Car Infotainment DVD/MP3/GPS/BlueT (item 270641846524 end time 05-Oct-2010 20:02:35 IST)

Please don't ask me how it is or even what it looks like. All I could see were some skimpily clad models -- Or is it the same one?

However I found this patchy info on the net.

All-in-One Multimedia Navigation System from Motevo Mobile Media (HK) Limited

If anyone is interested please contact the seller on the eBay page.

Between the Witson (21K + say 5K more), Motevo (38K) & Caska (48K), we now have 3 options in India for a GPS Double-DIN All-in-one unit.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 23:52   #666
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Casko:

Name:  Casko1.jpg
Views: 4706
Size:  162.0 KB

Motevo:

Name:  Motevo.jpg
Views: 4093
Size:  127.1 KB

Witson:

Name:  Witson.jpg
Views: 4921
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  Witson1.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  48.8 KB

In my view - Witson wins hands down, as far as quality & finish is concerned.
Old 5th October 2010, 00:00   #667
BHPian

Doesn't Polo come with a optional 15K Navigation & music system?

I remember seeing that when I was configuring a car on VW's India website.

BTW, Chetan this is a wonderful owner ship report, thanks for putting it all together, really helped me in deciding what would be best for my parents back home..

Thanks!

Edit:

Did a quick look again at VW's India site for Polo & found this listed:

Navigation System with Blue tooth
INR 14,832

Last edited by vette8991 : 5th October 2010 at 00:09. Reason: Added price
vette8991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 00:08   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
In my view - Witson wins hands down, as far as quality & finish is concerned.
I agree! Witson is the best among the three and is similar in appearance to the stock VW HU.

My only concern is that Witson is grey but Motevo looks black.

The price of the Witson is good... Lets keep our hopes up on Ankit.

Chethan, thanks for the writeup and pics on the speaker replacement. I am seriously considering it now.

By the way can someone tell me how exactly one could connect an iPod to that tiny slot shown in the Witson HU? I guess Motevo supports Aux-in only but Caska (Casko) doesn't seem to have that either.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 5th October 2010 at 00:17.
Old 5th October 2010, 01:02   #669
BHPian

Quote:
By the way can someone tell me how exactly one could connect an iPod to that tiny slot shown in the Witson HU? I guess Motevo supports Aux-in only but Caska (Casko) doesn't seem to have that either.
Witson HU comes with the Ipod cable which connects to the front of the unit. There also a Aux-in at the back of the unit. Also you can play the music through the SD Card as well. It as 2 sd card ports, one for music and one for GPS.

Refer to this comprehensive video review done by someone else:-
Witson W2 D723V Quick Video Review Series
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:05   #670
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette8991 View Post
BTW, Chetan this is a wonderful owner ship report, thanks for putting it all together, really helped me in deciding what would be best for my parents back home..

Thanks!

Edit:

Did a quick look again at VW's India site for Polo & found this listed:

Navigation System with Blue tooth
INR 14,832
Thanks Vette8991! And welcome to Team-BHP!

GPS with BT, listed on the VW Indian site is not on-dash.

Quote:
Chethan, thanks for the writeup and pics on the speaker replacement. I am seriously considering it now.

For all we know, Witson might be the vendor for Blaupunkt! And VW might be taking the same from Blaupunkt!! I feel that when they have matched everything, they would have matched the color also. Let us keep our fingers crossed!

You are welcome! Replace them - It is worth it!

All these HU's have USB & Aux-in as a standard feature. Some in the front and some at the rear. If it is at the rear, there will be a cable which can be terminated in the glove box.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 5th October 2010 at 08:12.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:24   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
For all we know, Witson might be the vendor for Blaupunkt! And VW might be taking the same from Blaupunkt!! I feel that when they have matched everything, they would have matched the color also. Let us keep our fingers crossed!
Chethan, Why don't we ask Witson if we can get it in black? Importing the unit may not be much of a problem.

I guess Hertz Co-Axial DCX-165 is 6". I am thinking of looking at JBL also.

Philips Extreme Power info is below. I think I will definitely go for it if I can find a dealer nearby.

X-treme Power: Maximum performance
Old 5th October 2010, 10:12   #672
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Chethan, Why don't we ask Witson if we can get it in black? Importing the unit may not be much of a problem.

I guess Hertz Co-Axial DCX-165 is 6". I am thinking of looking at JBL also.

Philips Extreme Power info is below. I think I will definitely go for it if I can find a dealer nearby.

X-treme Power: Maximum performance
Yes. We could do that.

Hertz is a European (Italy) design. It is good for people who listen to a lot of classical & vocal (& that includes me too!). You get a good clear response for mid frequency. All European designs are generally the same.

JBL, PolkAudio...etc are American. Sound output is very much metal-ish. Good for people who listen to a lot of Jazz, pop & Rock music. All American designs are generally the same.

For mortals like us (as far as music is concerned!), any thing will do!!
Old 5th October 2010, 10:37   #673
BANNED

Chetan, can't clearly make out from the pics. I think the new Hertz speakers are 16.5 cms ones (>6 in). How about the stock ones? Are they smaller (4 in)? We were comparing the speaker sizes on vento (same as polo ones) and honda jazz. Jazz definitely had bigger ones so we thought they were 4 & 6 inchers, respectively.

Thanks
gadget.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 10:38   #674
BHPian

Hey Chethan same pinch for speakers. I had them installed on rear doors on front I have Rockford which has 3 components. Between the quality of speakers are great.

I would be looking up to your head light upgrades.
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 11:41   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
Hey Chethan same pinch for speakers. I had them installed on rear doors on front I have Rockford which has 3 components. Between the quality of speakers are great.

I would be looking up to your head light upgrades.
Looks like you decided to go with an American and European combo.

What is the maximum size I can fit in the Polo front and rear? Is it 6 inches?