Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th October 2010, 19:40   #691
Senior - BHPian

Question ICE Upgrade for Polo!

Caska: I saw a Head Unit today, which was made for VW-Jatta. It matched the OEM-HU one on one - including chrome inserts, button shape & size... etc. Color of the back-light can be chosen to our choice, to match the interiors. Very good quality - feel of the switches was a bit lower in quality, compared to the OEM. To be frank, it looks exactly like the Witson one, that I had posted on this thread! Overall, I felt that it can be the right replacement.

Price offered to me (including tax & Installation):
  • Head Unit ----------------------- Rs.41,000
  • GPS Software (SatGuide) -------- Rs.1,500
  • TPMC (with sensors) -------------- Rs.10,500 (price fixed for next 6 months)
  • 1 year warranty.
  • 100% plug compatibility
  • After Sales Service (after warranty) assured
I may be spending about 10K extra, if I go with Caska. At this moment, I feel that it is worth it - since it eliminates all headaches. The unit will be available only by this month end. I have to book the unit with 25% advance on 15th of this month. Later-on, if the unit does not match the OEM, I can cancel the order and get my money back.

I request every-one to participate in this discussion. Between Ankit and myself, we will have two solutions for ICE upgrade. That can provide choice to everyone. Also, I request everyone to debate on the technical advantage in having TPMC (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System). Is it worth spending 10.5K on that?

Assuming that both Caska & Witson will look and feel the same, please give your inputs.

Thanks in advance!!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:28   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
P.S : I have also booked a Polo TDI Highline. The decision have got delayed by couple of months due to some official engagement. However, the waiting period is quite a difficult one. Anybody with bright ideas on overcoming this waiting period? I guess, visiting VW showroom regularly and TDing polo would help....
Having gone through this myself, my suggestion would be to lay off Team-BHP for a while and instead do something else. Reading accounts of others raised my anxiety levels quite high.

Maybe you can get some books and CD's and learn a new language or something. Who knows? By the time you get your car, you may be able to talk to the Sales Executives in German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I don't know if you can answer this question but i was wondering if its possible to fit a golf set in the boot of the Polo.
I cannot fit it in my swift or Ritz. Would be interesting to know if the Polo (which will be my next car) can accommodate it!
I seriously doubt if you can fit a golf bag in just the boot of the Polo. However if you collapse the rear left seat (the 40% side of the 40-60 split) of the Polo, you should be able to fit one comfortably.

If you really, really need this info, I could carry out this experiment and let you know the results.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:33   #693
Team-BHP Support

Frankly Chetan from whatever reviews ive read of yours you seem to be pretty particular in checking your car. So I assume you check the tire pressure too, so 10k is not worth it at all. A reversing camera makes much more sense.

BTW why cant you pick up the Jetta unit that he has? Its the same size as the Polo isnt it?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 20:41   #694
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Frankly Chetan from whatever reviews ive read of yours you seem to be pretty particular in checking your car. So I assume you check the tire pressure too, so 10k is not worth it at all. A reversing camera makes much more sense.

BTW why cant you pick up the Jetta unit that he has? Its the same size as the Polo isnt it?
Reverse camera: I already have parking sensors on my car. Seeing front while taking reverse is not practical I suppose?

Jetta HU is wired differently. It is not plug compatible with Polo. That is the problem.
Old 7th October 2010, 20:47   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Very good quality - feel of the switches was a bit lower in quality, compared to the OEM. To be frank, it looks exactly like the Witson one, that I had posted on this thread! Overall, I felt that it can be the right replacement.

Assuming that both Caska & Witson will look and feel the same, please give your inputs.
Apart from looks, what about Music quality, GPS performance, reliability, track record etc. PS: Never heard of these companies before.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 21:08   #696
BHPian

Quote:
So - Polo fever has ended up raising your temperature?! The more you visit the showroom & Team-BHP, the temperature will raise further. I hope you know that one can even die, because of high temperatures!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Having gone through this myself, my suggestion would be to lay off Team-BHP for a while and instead do something else. Reading accounts of others raised my anxiety levels quite high.

Maybe you can get some books and CD's and learn a new language or something. Who knows? By the time you get your car, you may be able to talk to the Sales Executives in German.
Yes, I know... The more I see and hear, the more anxious i'm gonna be... But cannot resist it....

Even if I do learn German, not that it is gonna happen, I don't think i'll be able to impress the Sales Executives to offer lot of freebies/discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
Kiran, TD the Vento to have some fun!

An OT comment - whatever happened to the Micra? Seems to have disappeared rather quietly?
TD both Petrol and Diesel Vento. Diesel was just so amazing, Petrol was also good. But my dad owns a fiesta 1.6, and I felt fiesta had better performance than Petrol Vento. However, diesel is mindblowing, with all that torque. I drove it on a highway, soon as I engaged 2nd gear and accelerated, it just took off!!!!!Amazing car.....

I see a few Micras in and around Bangalore, but not too much!!!!I feel Polo's are growing in number day by day!!!!And I'm happy to see that.....
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 21:14   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Caska: I saw a Head Unit today, which was made for VW-Jatta. It matched the OEM-HU one on one - including chrome inserts, button shape & size... etc. Color of the back-light can be chosen to our choice, to match the interiors. Very good quality - feel of the switches was a bit lower in quality, compared to the OEM. To be frank, it looks exactly like the Witson one, that I had posted on this thread! Overall, I felt that it can be the right replacement.

• 1 year warranty.
I may be spending about 10K extra, if I go with Caska. At this moment, I feel that it is worth it - since it eliminates all headaches. The unit will be available only by this month end. I have to book the unit with 25% advance on 15th of this month. Later-on, if the unit does not match the OEM, I can cancel the order and get my money back.

I request every-one to participate in this discussion. Between Ankit and myself, we will have two solutions for ICE upgrade. That can provide choice to everyone. Also, I request everyone to debate on the technical advantage in having TPMC (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System). Is it worth spending 10.5K on that?

Thanks in advance!!
Chethan, at 41K (compared to your previous quote of 48K) I think Caska is reasonable in terms of price. Plus you will be getting installation, warranty and after sales service.

If the Caska looks just like the Witson, I would say it would look very well on the Polo.

The only problem is that Witson is right now a grey area as we would only know its actual price once Ankit gets it. I think Ankit has to pay around 21K + shipping + customs (?).

If Ankit gets his Witson for a landed price that is 10-15K less, it may appear that you paid a lot more. However if the price difference is less than 10K, I think it is better to go with Caska and the peace of mind that its dealer's presence in India would give you.

Please however ensure that you have everything in writing from the Caska dealer. Its better to start right now itself with the 25% booking amount.

Regarding TPMC, I have never used it so I really don't know. However, I can't get over the fact that one will be spending 10.5K to monitor something that takes 5 rupees to fill.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:14   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Reverse camera: I already have parking sensors on my car. Seeing front while taking reverse is not practical I suppose?

Jetta HU is wired differently. It is not plug compatible with Polo. That is the problem.
Seeing in front and reversing: The BMW, Merc, etc folks do it all the time. Even truck drivers do it. I don't think doing it is all that counter intuitive. However the camera may be a bit of an overkill on the Polo as rear visibility is not that bad.
Old 7th October 2010, 23:07   #699
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Apart from looks, what about Music quality, GPS performance, reliability, track record etc. PS: Never heard of these companies before.
We have Team-BHP reviews on Caska. Looks like a decent system. Both products are Chinese & for all we know, they may also be from the same roots. WRT the track record - Thought of lending my contribution to the company!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...hu-my-crv.html

Quote:
The only problem is that Witson is right now a grey area as we would only know its actual price once Ankit gets it. I think Ankit has to pay around 21K + shipping + customs (?).

Please however ensure that you have everything in writing from the Caska dealer. Its better to start right now itself with the 25% booking amount.

Regarding TPMC, I have never used it so I really don't know. However, I can't get over the fact that one will be spending 10.5K to monitor something that takes 5 rupees to fill.
The Caska unit that I saw was not gray. It matched with the Polo interiors. I am thinking of playing safe. In a long run, it may work out cheaper. Remember, I have a diesel car with a turbocharger! All those controls and sensors keep me wondering, all the time.

Dealer said that he will be able to confirm the date of delivery by 15th. So, I thought of giving him the advance on 15th. I will remember your words and definitely take everything in writing. By the way, system comes with the warranty card, user manual & details of pin configuration.

I agree with you on TPMC. But technology is tempting! Just imagine, sensors will go in to the tyres and establish wireless communication with the HU. I can keep a tab on the spare types pressure also. If only I had that 10.5K to waste!

Quote:
Seeing in front and reversing: The BMW, Merc, etc folks do it all the time. Even truck drivers do it. I don't think doing it is all that counter intuitive. However the camera may be a bit of an overkill on the Polo as rear visibility is not that bad.
I am going to finish it without TPMC and Rear Camera. My total expense will be Rs.42,500/- all inclusive.
Old 7th October 2010, 23:41   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An OT comment - whatever happened to the Micra? Seems to have disappeared rather quietly?
An OT reply - I saw one on the street here a day or three ago. That's about a third of the number of Polos as I have seen this week.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 23:55   #701
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
I see a few Micras in and around Bangalore, but not too much!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
An OT reply - I saw one on the street here a day or three ago. That's about a third of the number of Polos as I have seen this week.
Could not resist!! What is the waiting period for Micra? Unless the seating is improved, we will not get to see them on road, even with a diesel engine added. I seriously doubt.

By the way - When is Ankit getting his system? That is going to be interesting to know. I still have time until 15th! Ankit, can you come in please?
Old 8th October 2010, 00:36   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think they may be exporting most of the Micras produced in Chennai.

I saw two Micras a few months ago on Commercial Street. It did get a lot of eyeballs I guess because of the novelty factor. I too looked at it but couldn't digest its looks. I also didn't like the cookie-cutter type cookie-shaped rear seats. For each his own, I guess.

Quote:
We have Team-BHP reviews on Caska. Looks like a decent system. Both products are Chinese & for all we know, they may also be from the same roots. WRT the track record - Thought of lending my contribution to the company!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...hu-my-crv.html

The Caska unit that I saw was not gray. It matched with the Polo interiors. I am thinking of playing safe. In a long run, it may work out cheaper. Remember, I have a diesel car with a turbocharger! All those controls and sensors keep me wondering, all the time.
I meant the Witson is a grey area, as in it is not black and white -- We do not know its price yet so we don't know how it compares.

I was sure you would have checked the colour with me being so picky about that.

I did some subsequent research on Caska and except for its name I found it to be quite good. The companies seem well established, both the Chinese manufacturer and the Indian dealer.

I too read the report on the CRV and the fit and finish is fabulous. If I am not mistaken, he also paid roughly the same amount.

All in all, I think Caska looks quite reasonable unless Ankit comes up with something better. Still, the lack of support in India for Witson may be a cause of concern for me.
Old 8th October 2010, 01:15   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Caska:

I request every-one to participate in this discussion.

Thanks in advance!!
Chetan, I am going to jump in and add to the confusion:

FLYAUDIO CORPORATION--Volkswagen Sagitar

I called up the distributor (ex) for Caska in India mentioned here,
Products

who told me that they have stopped dealing in Caska products and now deal in Flyaudio. (the link to the polo HU is mentioned above).

Price for that is 35 k, including GPS antenna. Reverse sensors are another 2500. Over the phone he said that the HU has the same functions as the caska.

Audio Guru B&T rates these Chinese OEM-fit HU's in descending order of quality as Caska>Flyaudio>Motevo. (Hope he doesn't mind me quoting him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Akshay, not that I believe most things dealer salespeople say, but VW downtown said the wiring harness / connectors are different.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 01:16   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Caska:

• 1 year warranty.

The total price without TPMC and rear view is around 42K.

Don't you think you'll get the RCD 510 or RNS 510 for this price? Or was there any compatibility issue that was discussed and I may have missed out?
IMHO, if you get it through someone who's coming down from UK, you could get it for around 450pounds.I saw one in ebay UK website.
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 12:01   #705
BHPian

Quote:

By the way - When is Ankit getting his system? That is going to be interesting to know. I still have time until 15th! Ankit, can you come in please?
I must admit i had second thoughts buying the witson now after reading your post about the Caska looking same as the witson and OEM.

But i just don't have the funds to afford one for 42K. Its almost double the price. I know i am taking a risk here with no after sales support. I would say if people can afford a Caska then please go for it just for the fact that it has some a.s.s. in India.

Regarding the witson unit, i have actually been following it since past 6 months. I have seen numerous videos on youtube and read on various forums. It does seem fairly reliable. The only problems people are reporting is the systems integration with stereo-mounted controls and the MFD and thats something we dont get in Indian Polo.
Its WinCE based so you can install many gps softwares on it. Something like Destinator with satguide maps should work.

Coming to fly-audio, its basically another chinese company which has more of a presence in America. But again one visit to their website reveals that its the same. Come to think of it, Witson, Caska, Flyaudio, Waywell (I found another one!)all seem to make the same product and offer similar quality. They are being sold in China and in america for about 15-18k. Its just that in India such HU are not easily available so companies like Caska, Flyaudio have the liberty to charge a lot.

I am finally getting my unit shipped today via DHL. Here is the cost breakdown:-

HU + Shipping by EMS- $330
HU + Shipping by DHL - $410
Rear view Cam - $22

Payment via paypal; add 6%
Payment via wire transfer; add ~ $22
Send money via Western Union; no additional charge

My order:- HU+ Rear Cam+ DHL Shipping+ Paypal Payment= $458

So you can pick and choose and get it cheaper than what I paid (of course at you own risk!).
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote