Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th October 2010, 14:40   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I seriously doubt if you can fit a golf bag in just the boot of the Polo. However if you collapse the rear left seat (the 40% side of the 40-60 split) of the Polo, you should be able to fit one comfortably.

If you really, really need this info, I could carry out this experiment and let you know the results.
It would really help if you can do this experiment. This is not a deal breaker though but would be nice to confirm.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 17:58   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I agree with you on TPMC. But technology is tempting! Just imagine, sensors will go in to the tyres and establish wireless communication with the HU. I can keep a tab on the spare types pressure also.
Tyres? What happens when the tire is up for replacement. AFAIK, they have to drill holes into your alloys to install them.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 18:11   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
But i just don't have the funds to afford one for 42K. Its almost double the price. I know i am taking a risk here with no after sales support. I would say if people can afford a Caska then please go for it just for the fact that it has some a.s.s. in India.

Coming to fly-audio, its basically another chinese company which has more of a presence in America. But again one visit to their website reveals that its the same. Come to think of it, Witson, Caska, Flyaudio, Waywell (I found another one!)all seem to make the same product and offer similar quality. They are being sold in China and in america for about 15-18k. Its just that in India such HU are not easily available so companies like Caska, Flyaudio have the liberty to charge a lot.
Chethan: Looks like Ankit has got a great deal. 21K + customs of 5-6K more makes for a substantial difference of 15K to the Caska.

Somehow we keep ending up back in square one.

This is what it looks like now:
  • Witson: 21 to 27K
  • Flyaudio: 35K
  • Motevo: 38K
  • Caska: 42K
Ankit: Great find! Could you please post developments regularly here? Why did it take so long for them to ship or did you just pay them recently?

Once you get the Witson, please try and post some pictures of the product and installation. The price you are getting the Witson for makes it hard to ignore.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 19:34   #709
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Tyres? What happens when the tire is up for replacement. AFAIK, they have to drill holes into your alloys to install them.
Drill holes into the alloys? I thought that they will insert this in to the tyre (theft proof), through the wall plug. While removing / replacing the tyre, anyway it will come out & we can put it back in to the new one. But, I am not sure.

Quote:
Chethan: Looks like Ankit has got a great deal. 21K + customs of 5-6K more makes for a substantial difference of 15K to the Caska.

Somehow we keep ending up back in square one.

This is what it looks like now:
  • Witson: 21 to 27K
  • Flyaudio: 35K
  • Motevo: 38K
  • Caska: 42K
Ankit: Great find! Could you please post developments regularly here? Why did it take so long for them to ship or did you just pay them recently?

Once you get the Witson, please try and post some pictures of the product and installation. The price you are getting the Witson for makes it hard to ignore.
Flyaudio & Motevo is ruled out. And yes! We are back to square one!

I am in touch with Witson through mail. They have quoted me similarly. Ankit had posted the following link:

Ankit wrote: anyways here is a comprehensive video review of this unit from another person:- Witson W2 D723V Quick Video Review Series

After going through this link and also looking at Caska HU & its user manual - My observation:
  • Exterior appearance of both the systems are almost the same.
  • Exterior quality, fit & finish are also the same.
  • Color / ergonomics are also the same - Both matches very well with the console. (back-light, key-led, chrome inserts, key size, Black color.....etc)
  • Caska's menu was far-far more pleasant and better. Looks more complete in that respect.
  • Witson's software looks to have bugs. Every function may not work properly.
  • There is no confirmation on Plug & Play, as far as Witson HU is concerned. From my understanding, plug compatibility differs even because of LHD & RHD vehicles.
Overall, while playing / using the system, Caska seems to be far better integrated with the polo Console.

But, does that warrant double the cost? Highly debatable!!

Nowwhat? - How are you placed tomorrow? Would you like to visit Caska with me (Indira Nagar)? PM if you are free for half a day!!
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 20:18   #710
BHPian

Quote:

Well i took the hassle to make the payment via Paypal, just to be safe. But paying through paypal in India is very difficult unless you have a credit card. You cannot pay through debit card or your bank account. I paid via HDFC net safe virtual credit card in 3 installments. Since there were 3 payments paid from 3 different credit cards (it was not allowing to make the complete payment in one go and the virtual CC is one-time use only!) , paypal frooze my payment thinking someone else had hacked into my account. Cleared that out by 1st October, but it turns out China has a national holiday from 1st to 7th Oct! Thats why they shipped today.

Yes i will make a brief review of the unit as soon as i get it fitted in my car.
The price is 21K for the moment but its the customs who will get to decide the final price (keeping my fingers crossed!!)
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 01:46   #711
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb

Hi Guys!! Please check this out for me. Please don't mind!!

2009 2010 VW Polo GPS Navigation DVD Player,Radio,TV,CAN BUS ...USD459.24 Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

Does anybody have any previous experience with DHgate?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 10th October 2010 at 01:58.
Old 10th October 2010, 12:15   #712
BHPian

Quote:
There is a crack in the bumper - about 6 inches long. But, it has not opened up at the end. Should be possible to fix it.
Chethan : I remember you having a crack in the bumper sometime back. How did you get that fixed?
I had a similar issue yesterday, when I was waiting to enter a shopping mall here. The person who was ahead of me while climbing a ramp lost control and came down and hit my car on the bumper. It have made a small crack on my bumper. I was not even moving, and was waiting for him to climb the ramp.

Worst of all, there was a woman who was passing between both the cars with a kid, had she not pulled the kid out on time, it would have been even worse!!!!!
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 17:08   #713
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
Chethan : I remember you having a crack in the bumper sometime back. How did you get that fixed?
I had a similar issue yesterday, when I was waiting to enter a shopping mall here. The person who was ahead of me while climbing a ramp lost control and came down and hit my car on the bumper. It have made a small crack on my bumper. I was not even moving, and was waiting for him to climb the ramp.

Worst of all, there was a woman who was passing between both the cars with a kid, had she not pulled the kid out on time, it would have been even worse!!!!!
Thank God! It was limited to just the bumper damage. Some people do not know to drive using the hand brake, while on the ramp.

15 days back in Forum, while getting down the ramp, the car behind me banged on my bumper. It was night 12am after the 2nd show. The guy would have been sleepy. I had to slow down because of a hump, but he didn't. Luckily, nothing happened. Most of the accidents I am involved in, has resulted in damaging the rear bumper. May-be I have to be more careful during braking.

Anyway - I have not done any thing to cover-up the damage on my bumper. It does not look very bad either. May-be, after another couple of hits, I will change the rear bumper!! If you look closely at the snaps I have posted recently, you will be able to see the damage.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 10th October 2010 at 17:14.
Old 10th October 2010, 21:15   #714
BHPian

Yes, I have seen the picture. Infact, when I got the scratch in my bumper, I thought of you putting a similar kind of experience in this post, which is why I thought I'll ask you what you have done to cover it up.

Infact, I am also having a similar cut - a small one in the bumper around 2 inches in length. Initially when I felt the hit, I thought i ended up with a big dent/damage, but then when i checked it, it was just a small cut in the left bottom corner of the car, near the fog lamps!!!
I had to turn left and climb up the ramp - so just the left portion of my car was exposed to him when he came down - hence the damage in left corner of the bumper.

And Yes, he seriously did not know how to drive up on ramps using hand brake. Because when I saw him stop at the middle of the ramp (he said he had to brake suddenly because some female jumped in front of his car), I felt something wrong. I wanted to reverse and get away from him. But unfortunately the vehicle behind me was very close, so I couldn't and ended up like this...:(

Is there any way, you know of covering this up??Though it is not visible to others since it is almost at the lower portion of the bumper, whenever I see it, I feel bad!!!!
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 22:11   #715
BHPian

Talking

ok folks

I have finally got my witson delivered and i am just short of words to express my happiness.
They shipped the unit via DHL on friday evening, and by today afternoon, it arrived at my place.
My first impressions, god never in my dreams could i imagine how good the quality of a Chinese product can be. The box, packaging, bill, etc. is all done so professionally.
Installation, well lets just say as long as you know how to remove the front panel, installing the HU is like plugging a mouse to you computer and i think we all can do that.

I haven't installed the rear view camera and the gps adapter yet as proper wiring has to be done. I have managed to coax a VW employee to come to my house and do the proper wiring using the proper tools to open the interior panels!

-As far as the unit goes, the quality is unbelievable. The colour, I don't know how they have managed to get the exact same colour including the interior red lighting!
Problems/bugs---what problems?
-Bluetooth worked seamlessly for me and even recogonized my HTC hero.
-Calling and receiving was a breeze and surprisingly i didn't even have to connect the external supplied mic. They have managed to put in a good integrated mic into the HU.
-Another reported problem was that the unit is extremely slow in reading the contacts no such problems here boss!
-Radio worked fine, reception excellet
-CD worked fine and hey it displays the complete track name (was reported to be not working before)
-fully compatible with ipod touch 1st gen and it charges it as well! Displays the complete name of the track (again was reported not to be working)

It seems they have managed to resolve all the bugs. The system is just unbelievable!

I paid a duty of 4457 (after under-quoting my unit to about 15K)and my total amount came to be around 24k.
So guys, for me this is more than perfect. Maybe I am a one-off case or maybe not. Again for me this unit is without doubt way too good to miss out but it is a risk to take so please keep that in mind (NO A.S.S.)

I think i will let the pictures do the talking now
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2010, 22:27   #716
Senior - BHPian

That's the perfect HU for Polo Ankit! Congrats! Is it a single CD/DVD player? Where is the aux/Ipod-in and USB port located?

And why don't you start your own ownership thread on the Polo? We'd love to read your reviews on the Polo as well as the HU.

Last edited by theragingbull : 11th October 2010 at 22:30.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 22:36   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That's the perfect HU for Polo Ankit! Congrats! Is it a single CD/DVD player? Where is the aux/Ipod-in and USB port located?

And why don't you start your own ownership thread on the Polo? We'd love to read your reviews on the Polo as well as the HU.
Yes its a single DVD/CD Player, cant run DVD movies (a safety feature!) as i have to connect to the handbreak wire to let it know that the car is not running when the hand-brake is on.
Ipod port is located in the front; a mico USB with the ipod cable is also provided
There is another wire which connects from the back of the unit and on the other end its a usb socket. /music can also be played via sd card in the front.

Yes i will start my ownership thread now, just wanted to get the HU in the car first. Now the picture is complete!
Old 11th October 2010, 23:02   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Yes its a single DVD/CD Player, cant run DVD movies (a safety feature!) as i have to connect to the handbreak wire to let it know that the car is not running when the hand-brake is on.
Ipod port is located in the front; a mico USB with the ipod cable is also provided
There is another wire which connects from the back of the unit and on the other end its a usb socket. /music can also be played via sd card in the front.

Yes i will start my ownership thread now, just wanted to get the HU in the car first. Now the picture is complete!
Congrats, Ankit! Thanks for posting the pics for the benefit of all of us!

At first glance, the Witson appears very good. And the price makes it excellent!

Please do post your detailed review once you have used it for a week or so.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 09:27   #719
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Installation, well lets just say as long as you know how to remove the front panel, installing the HU is like plugging a mouse to you computer and i think we all can do that.

I haven't installed the rear view camera and the gps adapter yet as proper wiring has to be done. I have managed to coax a VW employee to come to my house and do the proper wiring using the proper tools to open the interior panels!

-As far as the unit goes, the quality is unbelievable. The colour, I don't know how they have managed to get the exact same colour including the interior red lighting!
Problems/bugs---what problems?
-Bluetooth worked seamlessly for me and even recogonized my HTC hero.
-Calling and receiving was a breeze and surprisingly i didn't even have to connect the external supplied mic. They have managed to put in a good integrated mic into the HU.
-Another reported problem was that the unit is extremely slow in reading the contacts no such problems here boss!
-Radio worked fine, reception excellet
-CD worked fine and hey it displays the complete track name (was reported to be not working before)
-fully compatible with ipod touch 1st gen and it charges it as well! Displays the complete name of the track (again was reported not to be working)

It seems they have managed to resolve all the bugs. The system is just unbelievable!
Quote:
Congrats Ankit! And this success makes me rework on my decision!!

I have a few questions for you!
  1. Does it support your Mobile Phone's Address Book? Any support for SMS?
  2. Hand-brake wire: Instead of connecting it, why don't you bypass it / short it permanently?
  3. Please do not wait until GPS antenna is installed. Try to buy a SatGuide software locally and check it. You can temporarily connect the GPS antenna for this. I am very eager to know!
  4. Could you check (Radio) AM?
  5. Does the USB outlet also charges your Mobile? - Is it powered one?
  6. Can you change the color of the display / Silver skin?
HU looks excellent on the dash!! Lovely!! Everything one can thing off, is matched.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:03   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Ankit! And this success makes me rework on my decision!!

I have a few questions for you!
  1. Does it support your Mobile Phone's Address Book? Any support for SMS?

It easily recognized my HTC hero and paired with it. I could check the dialed/received and missed calls along with full contact list both stored in the phone and in the SIM. No SMS sorry!
    Also it was reported that the unit was painfully slow to read the contacts off a phone making that feature almost useless. In my case it works quite well

2. Hand-brake wire: Instead of connecting it, why don't you bypass it / short it permanently?

Didn't know that, will have a look at it now that you have told me!
  3. Please do not wait until GPS antenna is installed. Try to buy a SatGuide software locally and check it. You can temporarily connect the GPS antenna for this. I am very eager to know!

I just need to plug in the GPS adapter on the backside and do the wiring so that i can place the adapter somewhere near the front windshield. I have already had a word with the satguide person and he emailed me a demo software to check on it. Now all i need is an SD card. Don't worry i am just as eager for it (even though i know my way through New Delhi!)
  4. Could you check (Radio) AM?

Sure i will do that , need to find out the frequency of an AM station (never ever used it though!)
  5. Does the USB outlet also charges your Mobile? - Is it powered one?

The front ipod connector does charge my ipod touch 1st gen. I am quite sure that the rear USB (wire runs from the back of the HU to a usb outlet) is powered. Again i need to connect that as well
  6. Can you change the color of the display / Silver skin?
I am afraid not, but you can customize the GPS if you have good knowledge about tweaking these gps softwares

HU looks excellent on the dash!! Lovely!! Everything one can thing off, is matched.

Everything works for me and i have seen this unit being sold since 2 years back now. So i am hoping that they have indeed worked out all the bugs. But i can't confirm this for other units. So again buying it will be a bit of a risk for you as well!