Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th October 2010, 14:07   #721
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Everything works for me and i have seen this unit being sold since 2 years back now. So i am hoping that they have indeed worked out all the bugs. But i can't confirm this for other units. So again buying it will be a bit of a risk for you as well!
I am very happy for you - Ankit!!

Other models might also be similar inside. Only the outside appearance would be different. I am guessing this because, logically people will not spend money, time and energy on designing the same thing, all over again.

For example: Check this out!! I prefer Witson, since they are direct manufacturers.

1. http://www.dhgate.com/product/produc...2b4e65daa64dda

2. http://www.cnbuynet.com/vw-polo-gps-...ox-p-1453.html

I listen to AM for cricket commentary. Try 612.

I do not travel only between home & office. I keep traveling haphazardly, and with so many one-ways, GPS helps!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 12th October 2010 at 14:11.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 14:22   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am very happy for you - Ankit!!

Other models might also be similar inside. Only the outside appearance would be different. I am guessing this because, logically people will not spend money, time and energy on designing the same thing, all over again.

For example: Check this out!! I prefer Witson, since they are direct manufacturers.

1. 2009 2010 VW Polo GPS Navigation DVD Player,Radio,TV,CAN BUS ...USD459.24 Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

2. VW Polo GPS Navigation DVD Player,Radio,TV,CAN BUS box : Mazda GPS| BMW DVD| VW| In Car PC| In Car| Flip Down | Honda| Chevrolet| Ford DVD| Nissan| Headrest| DVD Player| GPS| Car Navigation System

I listen to AM for cricket commentary. Try 612.

I do not travel only between home & office. I keep traveling haphazardly, and with so many one-ways, GPS helps!

I would like to warn you against these units which are sold through common websites.
I went to China last year, and while shopping out there for electronics, my tour guide told me that in China they have various qualities of fakes/replicas where by the best one costs more while the lowest level of fake/replica costs considerably less.
In one of your links, i can already perceive the quality of the unit to be less. The button quality, the white remote looks cheap and more importantly, on the backside, you can see it doesn't have the standard ISO connector. So connecting it to your polo will be difficult

In my opinion, you should stick to CASKA or Witson and insist on buying directly through them. I think that is the safest option.
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 14:36   #723
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
In my opinion, you should stick to CASKA or Witson and insist on buying directly through them. I think that is the safest option.
I totally agree with you. You know about any other system from Witson, which would suit Polo? May-be, similar to RNS-510?

I am looking at 7" Display, 3 Zone, PIP, Extensive BT which would store/ support address book and also support SMS, selectable back-light color...etc

May-be, it is a bit too much. But just curious. When I am at it - Why not?
Old 12th October 2010, 14:53   #724
BHPian

Chethan,

**Hope this was not considered before and I sincerely do not intend to confuse you even more**

Just curious, did you have a look at Pioneer AVH3200BT?
AVH-3200BT Double-Din Bluetooth AV Player with 5.8-inch Screen, SD card input, iPod Control & Front USB and Aux-in - Pioneer DVD Player & Screens

I was narrowing down to this HU for my Vento (when delivered!!).

This model is available as a AVH3200DVD in Pioneer India website. But in ebay India, you do get AVH3200BT for sale.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:05   #725
BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with you. You know about any other system from Witson, which would suit Polo? May-be, similar to RNS-510?

I am looking at 7" Display, 3 Zone, PIP, Extensive BT which would store/ support address book and also support SMS, selectable back-light color...etc

May-be, it is a bit too much. But just curious. When I am at it - Why not?
NO i think it is a bit too much.
-I dont know how much would be the difference between a current 6.2" and a 7"
Due to the design of the witson unit and for that matter any other OEM, i think its difficult to get a bigger size screen(maybe RNS-510 has a 7" but i am not sure).
-Selectable backlight color, again they provide the same unit for Skoda but with green lighting. I think the whole idea of an integrated HU is to look part of the car and any color other than red would defeat the very purpose in Polo.
-3 Zone, i think you mean two separate LCD screen for the rear passenger. If i am not mistaken, this does support it but then you need to buy the extra screen!
-Bluetooth for SMS, something like the Linea's blue & me. No i think the chinese are still off that mark. Don't think any other unit offers that.
-Besides the 723V model , i cannot confirm that any other would fit. There was only one more model some 9250... i think for GOLF. It had similar dimensions and shape but i haven't heard much about that system so can't comment on the reliability.

Regarding the Pioneer system, it is definitely much better than witson or caska in terms of sound quality and output. But i wanted an integrated HU which looked part of the interior of the car and ofcourse, the pioneer system was way above my budget.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:37   #726
Senior - BHPian

Ankit, I am happy that you are satisfied with the product, But at the same time i am highly skeptical of the reliability of Chinese reverse engineered/designed/re engineered products. They are good at coming out with exact replicas of almost everything on earth. n brands of Mobile phones flooding the Indian market currently are examples. But the durability and reliability is a big question mark. So as a caution I advise you not to sell the OEM ICE unit and keep it as a back up.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 16:13   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Ankit, I am happy that you are satisfied with the product, But at the same time i am highly skeptical of the reliability of Chinese reverse engineered/designed/re engineered products. They are good at coming out with exact replicas of almost everything on earth. n brands of Mobile phones flooding the Indian market currently are examples. But the durability and reliability is a big question mark. So as a caution I advise you not to sell the OEM ICE unit and keep it as a back up.
Poloman i completely agree with you here. I have seen ephones floating around selling for 3k and if you talk about the quality you just need to look at the screen of that phone.

Anyways, regarding this unit, i have been actually following it for the past 6 months.I have found out that this unit was being sold in USA, UK, Poland (they have an official website for it), Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and of course CHINA.

Apparently, this model is more than 2 years old and back then when it was released it had many bugs. Down the years they do seem to have iron out all the bugs (most certainly in my case). I have also been in contact with few owners who have had it for more than an year and they did recommend it.
So it was only after doing a thorough research I took this decision.
Witson takes part in every major electronic show, latest one being held in HK from 11th oct. and it provides OEM replicas for every other manufacturer.

However in the end i was most impressed by the products quality and the way it was professionally packaged. Trust me i did not expect it to be so good. Only time will tell how reliable the unit is. But if you want buy similar devices like CASKA in India, expect same quality but with the added A.S.S and ofcourse additional 20k

Finally even i know that buying this unit has some risk and that is why i keep telling in my posts that buy it at your own risk!!
Old 12th October 2010, 16:30   #728
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
NO i think it is a bit too much.

I expected this reply!

-I dont know how much would be the difference between a current 6.2" and a 7" -

Difference is not much, but 7" is a standard size. Most of the recent HU comes with 7". Thought, getting spares down the line, would be easy.

Due to the design of the witson unit and for that matter any other OEM, i think its difficult to get a bigger size screen(maybe RNS-510 has a 7" but i am not sure).

A lot of 7" models are available, but may not be suitable for Polo.

-Selectable backlight color, again they provide the same unit for Skoda but with green lighting. I think the whole idea of an integrated HU is to look part of the car and any color other than red would defeat the very purpose in Polo.

My problem is not with RED, but with silver. I thought red or blue would look better. (Only my opinion)

-3 Zone, i think you mean two separate LCD screen for the rear passenger. If i am not mistaken, this does support it but then you need to buy the extra screen!

3 Zone means you can do 3 activities simultaneously. Like watching DVD, GPS & BT (DVD, Reverse Camera, BT) (GPS, Reverse Camera, BT) (GPS, Music,Reverse camera). Not very practical. But recent systems provide it!!!

Regarding the Pioneer system, it is definitely much better than witson or caska in terms of sound quality and output. But i wanted an integrated HU which looked part of the interior of the car and ofcourse, the pioneer system was way above my budget.
Ankit - Please do not get me wrong. I am only trying to figure out various possibilities. If choice was not available, I would not have thought beyond W2-D723V. That is an excellent system. I have mailed a query to Witson. Once I get a reply, I will consult you all and then decide.

By the way, please post a link on this thread once you start your ownership thread! Until then, keep posting updates!!

Quote from Ankit: "However in the end i was most impressed by the products quality and the way it was professionally packaged. Trust me i did not expect it to be so good. Only time will tell how reliable the unit is. But if you want buy similar devices like CASKA in India, expect same quality but with the added A.S.S and ofcourse additional 20k

Finally even i know that buying this unit has some risk and that is why i keep telling in my posts that buy it at your own risk!!"

It is not just 20K, Ankit. It is double the cost!

If the unit fails after a couple of years, throw it and buy a new one!! You will still not spend as much!! My concern was mainly WRT integrating it with Polo. That is cleared now. Many thanks!!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 12th October 2010 at 16:37.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:11   #729
BHPian

Regarding the 3 zone, it does play the music with BT and of course navigation.
The music only stops for a while when directions are being told via the GPS.

I would just like to say that I myself had many doubts about this system but its working seamlessly now. I would really wish that the same happens to everyone on this forum who ends up buying this system but in no way i can guarantee it.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:05   #730
BHPian

Quote:
If the unit fails after a couple of years, throw it and buy a new one!! You will still not spend as much!! My concern was mainly WRT integrating it with Polo. That is cleared now. Many thanks!!!
Chethan, I don't agree to your point of view!

You mean to say you will spend 20K now and if it stops working you will throw it away and buy the exact same unit?

That's not how it usually works in real life. Usually if there is a problem you will try your level best to repair it and somehow get it working. If you eventually give up, the last thing you might want to do is to buy the same unit that gave you the problem. You might actually buy something much more expensive the next time just because it is reliable.

The way I would look at it is that you have products at various price-points and each product comes with its pros and cons.
  • At 26K, you have the Witson which will give you the functionality of a multi-purpose 2-DIN unit at a reasonable price.
  • At 42K, you have a unit similar or maybe slightly better than the Witson but with after sales service.
  • At 60K(?), you have the Kenwood which is pretty much top of the line with no software glitches whatsoever and probably reliable after sales service.
If I could afford it, I would buy the Kenwood . But if I can't, I will buy the Witson or Caska.

Similar to how I bought one Polo rather than buy a Nano so that I could throw it away if it didn't work so that I could buy another Nano.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 12th October 2010 at 22:07.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 22:39   #731
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Chethan, I don't agree to your point of view!

You mean to say you will spend 20K now and if it stops working you will throw it away and buy the exact same unit?

That's not how it usually works in real life. Usually if there is a problem you will try your level best to repair it and somehow get it working. If you eventually give up, the last thing you might want to do is to buy the same unit that gave you the problem. You might actually buy something much more expensive the next time just because it is reliable.

The way I would look at it is that you have products at various price-points and each product comes with its pros and cons.
  • At 26K, you have the Witson which will give you the functionality of a multi-purpose 2-DIN unit at a reasonable price.
  • At 42K, you have a unit similar or maybe slightly better than the Witson but with after sales service.
  • At 60K(?), you have the Kenwood which is pretty much top of the line with no software glitches whatsoever and probably reliable after sales service.
If I could afford it, I would buy the Kenwood . But if I can't, I will buy the Witson or Caska.

Similar to how I bought one Polo rather than buy a Nano so that I could throw it away if it didn't work so that I could buy another Nano.
I was talking about the risk factor & practicality. You are talking about human phycology. That is fine!

Let us look at it this way. Until now, we were all worried about ICE replacement in Polo. And now, things are different. There are options. With time, I will assure you that there will be many more! There is a huge opportunity for third party vendors to pitch-in, since almost all these new cars (almost any manufacturers) are coming up with spine-less OEM fitted ICE's. For this reason, I have been going slow on this upgrade.

Coming to talk about Kenwood - It is the ultimate! No doubt about that. A fascia adapter is also available. It may not fit as good as the other two, but the features, quality, functionality it offers is unmatched. Or even miles ahead.

Only issues is the Plug-compatibility. Cost does not matter. I do not want to give my car to some jokers to fit the ICE, without having plug-compatibility. It does not matter if the car is a Polo or a NANO.
Old 14th October 2010, 00:22   #732
BHPian

Chethan, What kind of bulbs are you using for your headlights. Have you done any modification/upgradation on this front?

I have read from some other thread that the headlight is weak, and might cause visibility issues while on highway. I tried searching this thread for any headlight modifications, couldn't find any. Can you please throw some light into this, as to what changes have you done, if any?

And I might get my car a little early than I anticipated. I am really excited about that!!!!!If everything goes well as planned, then I might end up with the car by mid of next week. i.e delivery on completion of almost 2 weeks from booking time....
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:34   #733
BHPian

Got all my wiring done through the VW worker (obviously not at the showroom though).

Got the GPS fitted and installed Satguide, works a charm. Only slight glitch is that maps are about 1mm wide on both sides thereby partially hiding the zoom-in and zoom-out buttons. I can press them by using a stylus though i haven't had much use for them yet. I don't know if there's any way i can zoom out the whole map interface somehow. I will post a picture later to make my point clearer.

The rear USB-port is charged, meaning i can charge my cellphone and can also use a pen-drive.
Fixed the rear camera as well, the quality is surprisingly clear even during night time.
Will post some pics tonight.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:03   #734
BHPian

Hey guys,

OT, but did any of you take a look at the new Fabia? I went through their website yesterday and it appears that they plan to launch a Fabia 1.6.

The car seems to be fully loaded and for less than the price of the equivalent Polo! The Fabia 1.6 is around 28K cheaper than the Polo 1.6!

Of course the after sales service stories are a BIG put-off.

I look forward to your views.

--nowwhat?

Mods: Please create a new thread or move it into another thread if it is not appropriate here.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-fabia.png  

Last edited by nowwhat? : 14th October 2010 at 13:10. Reason: Note to mods.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 14:00   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Got all my wiring done through the VW worker (obviously not at the showroom though).

Got the GPS fitted and installed Satguide, works a charm. Only slight glitch is that maps are about 1mm wide on both sides thereby partially hiding the zoom-in and zoom-out buttons. .
I believe there is a setting given for the size of the display in the GPS software. Check with the guys at Satguide where to fix the resolution.

Are you running destinator and SatGuide maps. How did you get it to work. Did Satguide send you a SD card and you just popped it into the slot.e

Any pictures of the GPS running. ( Please get the passenger to shoot ) A video if possible would be awesome

Last edited by sreedotk : 14th October 2010 at 14:02.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote