Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd October 2010, 22:41   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I do not know about Osram. But generally, Osram bulb's won't last long.
Not sure if this is a valid apples-to-apples comparison, but in my house I had CFLs everywhere running on Phillips and Osram. I put in these CFLs 7 years ago. By now all the Osram CFLs have stopped working and have been replaced whereas many of the 7-year old Philips CFLs are still going strong.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:03   #752
BHPian

@nowwhat?, I agree with you on the superiority of Phillips CFL over Osram but let me remind you, its not the same anymore. Phillips then used to cost Rs.700 or so IIRC for a 20W bulb 7 years back, and was manufactured in Netherlands. Now, all CFLs cost around Rs.180 and are made in China. Osram is German too and is held by Siemens. Sorry for the OT.

Really sorry to see those scratches on your car, its such a hassle to maintain a new one these days in Bangalore. To me it looks like bare metal is visible and so may cause rusting. Better to get the bonnet painted and bumper too alongside.

Last edited by v.anand : 23rd October 2010 at 23:05.
v.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 14:45   #753
BHPian

Default Oil Consumption & Turbo

Chethan; you had mentioned initially that you had to top up engine oil after 3K kms. Can you please update if you are still doing so? Has the oil consumption reduced? Which oil did the Volkswagen dealership provide you with? Is it mineral or synthetic?

Also, does the owners manual mention anything about idling the engine after starting and before turning it off for a specificed amount of minutes? Have you been doing anything else advised by VW for the longevity of the turbo charger?

Thanks
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 20:59   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
@Chethan - I did manage to find out the shop you suggested to buy the Philips Extreme Power headlight bulbs. The person got them fixed within 10 minutes and he charged me the same amount as you. Since it was noon time I just had the light checked and it was okay. Will keep you updated about how useful it was after my drive back to Mangalore tomorrow. Incidentally I observed that the original head light bulbs are Philips H4 as well and do not have a silver coating at the tip which is found on the Extreme Power bulb. Thanks a lot for guiding me to the correct place to get the bulbs.
@Chethan, @uvmallya : Can you please tell me where you got this fixed. I am planning for a drive to Bandipur over this weekend. Would like to get them fixed before my trip. i.e at the most by Friday.

And Chethan, Have you decided on the ICE upgrade. I have sent across a few mails to WITSON and have almost finalized it. If everything goes as per plan, I might transfer the amount next week. And have contacted the dealer to lend a technician to get the job done next weekend.
kiran_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 06:06   #755
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Chethan; you had mentioned initially that you had to top up engine oil after 3K kms. Can you please update if you are still doing so? Has the oil consumption reduced? Which oil did the Volkswagen dealership provide you with? Is it mineral or synthetic?

Also, does the owners manual mention anything about idling the engine after starting and before turning it off for a specificed amount of minutes? Have you been doing anything else advised by VW for the longevity of the turbo charger?

Thanks
NevGin - I had to top-up the engine oil after running 9000 Kms. My car has done 12,000 Kms as of now. I had to top-up up about 500 ml, only once until now. However, I recommend that the level of all fluids be checked - Every 3000 - 5000 Kms.

The brand used was "Castrol Magnatec Professional" B4 5W-40. The MRP rate on the container is Rs.970/-. It is Synthetic oil.

I religiously follow 45 Secs idling on cold starts and "end of the day" shut down. After cold starts, I do not rev the engine for about a KM. After very long / spiritted drives, I idle the engine for about 90 Secs.

IMO, this should be enough to take care of turbo charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_v View Post
@Chethan, @uvmallya : Can you please tell me where you got this fixed. I am planning for a drive to Bandipur over this weekend. Would like to get them fixed before my trip. i.e at the most by Friday.

And Chethan, Have you decided on the ICE upgrade. I have sent across a few mails to WITSON and have almost finalized it. If everything goes as per plan, I might transfer the amount next week. And have contacted the dealer to lend a technician to get the job done next weekend.
I have got this done by "Junction", located in front of R.V college of Physiotherapy, Jayanagar 4th Block, Bangalore. Good knowledge on the products. Excellent service. Experienced staff. Contact: Dinesh @ 09945552146

Witson seems a good one. I will be going for Caska - A bit expensive, but assured A.S.S & a lot better menus / skin. Hopefully by next week end. I should be getting my Kagu mats also by then.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:37   #756
BHPian

Quote:
NevGin - I had to top-up the engine oil after running 9000 Kms. My car has done 12,000 Kms as of now. I had to top-up up about 500 ml, only once until now. However, I recommend that the level of all fluids be checked - Every 3000 - 5000 Kms.

The brand used was "Castrol Magnatec Professional" B4 5W-40. The MRP rate on the container is Rs.970/-. It is Synthetic oil.

I religiously follow 45 Secs idling on cold starts and "end of the day" shut down. After cold starts, I do not rev the engine for about a KM. After very long / spiritted drives, I idle the engine for about 90 Secs.

IMO, this should be enough to take care of turbo charger.
Thanks for the information Chethan. Yes, will check fluids every 3 to 5K km as mentioned.
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:27   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Witson seems a good one. I will be going for Caska - A bit expensive, but assured A.S.S & a lot better menus / skin. Hopefully by next week end. I should be getting my Kagu mats also by then.
Chethan - can you share where are you getting the Caska from?

Is it one of the folks here: Caska. Also what is the exact model - apologies if you have already answered this elsewhere.
h_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 18:15   #758
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_man View Post
Chethan - can you share where are you getting the Caska from?

Is it one of the folks here: Caska. Also what is the exact model - apologies if you have already answered this elsewhere.
h_man: That is right & the only link available. In fact they seem to have only one model (2 Din) for India. Only the Fascia & the Couplings are changed, depending on the car.

Guys! - An update: As I had mentioned earlier, I was in fact eagerly waiting for the Caska HU. It was supposed to be delivered to me last week. But it did not arrive! Reason as per Caska's dealer in Bangalore: "Shipment arrived at Calcutta. But wiring/coupling was done as per Chinese Polo. So the entire shipment was sent back. It will be rectified and sent back to India by this month end" !!!!!!!

Meanwhile, Bangalore dealer had a Caska HU meant for VW-Jatta. He said that he will modify the coupling and fix it on my Polo (without touching any wire on the Polo's side). Therefore, we tried that on Saturday. It was simple. Connector for Jatta that comes with Caska-HU is different. He replaced that connector with the one suitable for Polo. But in the end, two things are not working.
  1. HU's key back-light, does not come on when parking light is switched on (Key back light works - it comes on for a fraction of a second during power ON)
  2. Head Unit's power on/off is not controlled by ignition key. Unit has to be independently powered on/off. According to the manual, it can be controlled by the ignition key.
Dealer has taken some time to get back regarding the same. He says that it is something to do with the wiring on the Caska HU's side. I have not paid any advance & I will be paying him the entire amount, after satisfactory installation.

By the way, I had MapmyIndia GPS on my mobile. I could easily transfer it to the Caska HU. I just have to activate the Maps on it. Waiting.....

Coming back to Polo, I thought of sharing a few details which would be of some use to all of us: New Polo has two standard 8 pin Blaupunkt connectors. One is colored black and is used for all power connections. The other one is brown & has all the speaker connections. Unit is fused at 10 Amps.

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-polo-connectors.jpg <br /> <br />
Speaker connections are straight forward. You have 8 wires running for 4 speakers.<br /> <br />
Coming to the power connector - 4 contacts are used. Battery Positive & Negative, Parking light on/off sensor & Ignition on/off sensor. Rest of the pins are unused.<br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-power-connector-polo-harness.jpg <br /> <br />
There is a third connector on the back side of the OEM-HU. This is not connected / used in polo. In this, only 2 pins are physically available. It is mentioned as "Tel+" & "Tel-" on it. Also on the HU side <u>power</u> connector, one pin marked as "MUT" is un-used. When I enquired with the installation engineer, I was told that these 3 connections can be used in conjunction with external Bluetooth device, to mute the HU-Audio, during telephone conversation.<br /> <br />
That is, if we have an external Bluetooth device to make phone calls and if that device has similar pin-out, we can connect it to the OEM-HU. If connected, the audio of the HU will mute automatically during telephone conversation. But the Car speakers can not be used for telephone conversation.<br /> <br /> <br /> <a href=New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-pin-configuration-oemhu.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><u>Some more pics of the OEM-HU:</u></b><br /> <br /> <a href=New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-ice-top-view.jpg <br /> <a href=New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-connector-oemhu.jpg <br /> <br /> <b><u>Antenna Connector:</u></b><br /> <br /> <a href=New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-antenna-connector.jpg   <div style=

Last edited by Chethan B G : 8th November 2010 at 18:19.
Old 10th November 2010, 19:22   #759
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Electrically fitting Caska HU made for Jatta, was not possible. So, the unit was removed today. Caska HU meant for a Polo will be available by the end of this month. I have decided to wait until then.

I think that the dictionary meaning for Polo = Wait!! We need to wait for the Car and everything after that!! It has become a habit already!!

May-be, I will start worrying if I want to buy something and it available off the shelf!!!
Old 11th November 2010, 10:50   #760
Senior - BHPian

Wink

My friend's Fabia was delivered yesterday & it was a surprise for me!! That is because, it was a Diesel Fabia - One that I had not expected!

We had booked a 1.6 Fabia approximately 3 weeks back as I had mentioned earlier. After booking it, my friend has done some home work & found out that the mileage would be below 10 KMPL, for his style of driving. This has forced him to think seriously. As a result, he changed the booking 15 days back to 1.2 Tdi Fabia!! He wanted it to be a surprise for me - So he did not discuss it earlier!

Yesterday, by the time he could take delivery, have the customary Pooja and bring the car home, it was 9pm. Car was parked in front of his house with the boot open. As soon as he saw me coming, he asked me to drive the car - without allowing me to go around it. Since it was already late, we went for a short drive. I was clueless. I had not driven a 1.6 earlier & I was thinking "What the heck - Even a 1.6 is sounding & behaving like my Diesel Polo!" Since it was a short distance & also the road was not free, I did not notice the turbo lag / change over! I commented twice that I felt exactly like driving my Car. I had a look at the Taco-meter and was confused, it was red lined at 5000 RPM - same as mine! By now, my brain had stopped functioning - I just parked the car back in front of his house. Then, he showed me the badge behind the car! Everything inside my brain, came back to normal!

Enough! - Now, I have a Fabia & Polo TDI at my disposal. I will wait for the car to run-in, and in the next one months time, I will post a shoot out between the two - with extensive pics!! - Promise!!
Old 11th November 2010, 13:51   #761
BHPian

Quote:
My friend's Fabia was delivered yesterday & it was a surprise for me!! That is because, it was a Diesel Fabia - One that I had not expected!

We had booked a 1.6 Fabia approximately 3 weeks back as I had mentioned earlier. After booking it, my friend has done some home work & found out that the mileage would be below 10 KMPL, for his style of driving. This has forced him to think seriously. As a result, he changed the booking 15 days back to 1.2 Tdi Fabia!! He wanted it to be a surprise for me - So he did not discuss it earlier!

Yesterday, by the time he could take delivery, have the customary Pooja and bring the car home, it was 9pm. Car was parked in front of his house with the boot open. As soon as he saw me coming, he asked me to drive the car - without allowing me to go around it. Since it was already late, we went for a short drive. I was clueless. I had not driven a 1.6 earlier & I was thinking "What the heck - Even a 1.6 is sounding & behaving like my Diesel Polo!" Since it was a short distance & also the road was not free, I did not notice the turbo lag / change over! I commented twice that I felt exactly like driving my Car. I had a look at the Taco-meter and was confused, it was red lined at 5000 RPM - same as mine! By now, my brain had stopped functioning - I just parked the car back in front of his house. Then, he showed me the badge behind the car! Everything inside my brain, came back to normal!

Enough! - Now, I have a Fabia & Polo TDI at my disposal. I will wait for the car to run-in, and in the next one months time, I will post a shoot out between the two - with extensive pics!! - Promise!!
Now here's an apples-to-apples comparison, if ever one was required!
Old 11th November 2010, 14:31   #762
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Now here's an apples-to-apples comparison, if ever one was required!
Nowwhat? - Are you so sure?

We have one Fiat 1.3 ltr CRDI engine, marketed by Bosch - How many cars have the same one? Do all of them drive the same way? Tuning, gear ratios, weight of the car, can all make a difference.

Even though Skoda is under VW umbrella, I think that both the companies will have a different think tank. For eg: A.S.S?
Old 24th November 2010, 18:25   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Chethan,

**Hope this was not considered before and I sincerely do not intend to confuse you even more**

Just curious, did you have a look at Pioneer AVH3200BT?
AVH-3200BT Double-Din Bluetooth AV Player with 5.8-inch Screen, SD card input, iPod Control & Front USB and Aux-in - Pioneer DVD Player & Screens

I was narrowing down to this HU for my Vento (when delivered!!).

This model is available as a AVH3200DVD in Pioneer India website. But in ebay India, you do get AVH3200BT for sale.
It seems we have come full circle. Chethan just called me today and we are now looking at the Pioneer AVH3200BT.

Ventoman: Haven't been through your pages, but did you by any chance get the Pioneer?
Old 25th November 2010, 08:12   #764
BHPian

Chethan, since your car has covered more than 14 K kms. I would like to know whether you had done any "Tyre rotation" at 5k or 10k kms.?
uvmallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:48   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
It seems we have come full circle. Chethan just called me today and we are now looking at the Pioneer AVH3200BT.
Ventoman: Haven't been through your pages, but did you by any chance get the Pioneer?
Hello Mate,
Its strange. 'Cos, even I've gone a full circle and zeroed in on Witson unit now. I am getting mine through my friend next weekend.
PS: I am yet to start my ownership thread, as I am still going through the first few kms for now.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote