Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th March 2011, 12:57   #871
BHPian

Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
1+ to nowwhat?.
Go for the highest end variant you can afford and be happy for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Thanks, sadnabrina!

Frontosa: The other thing I forgot to mention is resale value.

5 years or so from now when you may think of selling your car, you may go to carwale.com or some other web-site to get the resale value of the car. This is always listed by variant.

If your experience then is going to be anything like mine, you will find buyers (especially those from Team-BHP) who know this value and will negotiate down from there.

No one offered to pay a dime for any of the stuff I had put in.

Bottomline (in mathematical terms ):
Assuming Comfortline + Accessories <= Highline
Depreciation%(Comfortline + Accessories) > Depreciation%(Highline)
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 09:48   #872
BHPian

Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
I have few questions to you and to anybody else who could respond:

1. Does black polo heat up a lot? Is the AC strong enough for the car even during hot summers? For e.g if the car is parked in open sun for say 3 hours and if you get in, does it burn you? how long does it take for the AC to chill you? Is the AC good enough to make you comfortable for long drives.? sorry too many AC related questions but if you can explain a bit that will really help.

2.The other question that I'm thinking of is whether to go for Diesel Highline or comfortline.
Hi Frontosa,

Your's is a very likely scenario for a lot of people.I too went through a similar phase,when i went for the Polo TDI.
Was in a dilemna whether to go for Figo (TDCI-Titanium),Polo TDI(Trendline) or Fiesta (1.6).
Somewhat similar to a comparison between,Vento ( Rocket Science) & Polo ( Life Science ).
I can exactly corelate with a very nice advertisement,about a guy standing in a BMW showroom,but then changes his decision after thinking about his children.
Most of the times we need to be practical (Life Science),even though we may try to buy the car of our choice.
Coming to your point.(As you said,instead of buying a Polo Highline,would go for a Vento Diesel Trendline and add Accessories).
I would agree to Sadnabrina,Chethan & nowwhat.
If you can afford it,considering all the things,go for the Vento ( Trendline )
If you are extending ur budget a bit too far,go for the Polo TDI Highline.
Go for a car,which gives you complete satisfaction .
So according to me,
If you have a loving for sedan's(Go for the Vento-Trendline,and believe me you wont even think of Polo then...!!
If not,go for the Polo Highline and you wont think of upgrading it,unless you are an Audio enthusiast .(Which can always be upgraded anyways)
COming to your questions
Answer 1.
To add to what all said,i would just say,Polo does a great job in Summers.(And i am talking about the summer of New Delhi ),so you know wht i am talking about.Mumbai is much much better mate.

Answer 2.
Assume should have answered your query by reading the above reviews.

Talking about my Polo Trendline(TDI),its going great guns.And i still wake up everyday to admire its beauty.And dont repent opting it over Figo(Titanium) and Fiesta(1.6).

Hope that helps.
sachinsumant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 11:08   #873
BHPian

Hey guys,

Just got my Polo Diesel Comfortline, pepper grey, this week and I'm loving it ... Wanted to thank Chetan and everyone else on this thread, your experiences/thoughts/insights influenced my decision a lot to go in for it.

Question: I was reversing the car and my father noticed that only one of the reverse lights turn on (i.e the left hand side one), thinking this to be a defect i called the dealer and asked and he told me this is what it is on all vw cars, is this true? i cant think of a logical reason of why vw would do this ...

could the vw owners throw some light on this please

thanks
layndrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 11:30   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by layndrivr View Post
Hey guys,

Just got my Polo Diesel Comfortline, pepper grey, this week and I'm loving it ... Wanted to thank Chetan and everyone else on this thread, your experiences/thoughts/insights influenced my decision a lot to go in for it.

Question: I was reversing the car and my father noticed that only one of the reverse lights turn on (i.e the left hand side one), thinking this to be a defect i called the dealer and asked and he told me this is what it is on all vw cars, is this true? i cant think of a logical reason of why vw would do this ...

could the vw owners throw some light on this please

thanks
To throw some light on the reversing light for Polo - Most European cars have reversing light on one side. It is usually on the opposite side from where the driver sits (left for right hand drive and right for left hand drive). The logic goes like - the driver can peek out through the window on his side and can see the rear obstructions, but on the other side he needs to rely on the ORVM. The ORVM being convex and at times slightly darkened or window glass being darkened does not allow for accurate view in absence of bright light. Thus the light is there on the opposite side. However this argument does not provide justification on why the light is not there on the drivers side. It would definitely provide a better view and moreover 2 lights produce more light than one.
The manufacturer utilizes the other slot (rear right for a LHD car) for putting in the rear fog lamps.
sadnabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 11:59   #875
BHPian

Thank you so much nowwhat, sadnabrina & Sachinsumant. All of you have given really wise thoughts and I agree to everything you say. My wife is more keen on a hatch rather than a sedan and she wants me to buy a SUV as a family car after 3 years once the EMI for this new car would get over, so that we can have a ideal combination at home. Thank you for giving me comfort on the AC front as well. Thats actually a deal-maker or a breaker for me. From TD that I did I found it good, but just wanted a confirmation from owners. I currently drive a Indigo petrol and will put it for sale once the new car comes home. And regarding the music system - I have no issues with it for most part on music quality etc, its just that I need to integrate my iPhone to it as I listen to podcasts a lot and also need very good handsfree audio system. It takes me 1 hour atleast to-fro from office & home and I do one of my conference always while driving. Yes but with the tyres I can let it be. So with Highline I just would have to change the music system (head unit only I guess) or I will check with VW dealer if they could do that job. Thats the only functionality I'm looking for. Yes those accessories like mudflaps, sunfilm and floormat would be only added.

I was curious to know if VW dealer in Thane or in Nerul provide any freebies with the car? I think because there is huge demand for these cars they may not, but please guide me as to how I should negotiate? By the way I will be buying the car through company lease and my company will give me 15000/- additional as cash reimbursements for accessories. So i just would like to cover all of these additional things with least outflow from my pocket

Hello Layndrivr - congratulations for your new Polo. How long did you have to wait to get your hands on?
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 12:08   #876
BHPian

Thanks a ton nowwhat, sabrina & Sachinsumant. All of you have given really wise thoughts and now I'm freezing on Polo TDI highline. My wife was more keen on hatch rather than sedan. We have a indigo petrol right now. And thanks for telling me about the AC thing, thats the deal maker or breaker for me.

Also really wise thoughts from all t-bhp members on accessories and the overall sensibility which help make decisions rather easy. The only functionality that I'm looking for from music system is IPhone integration and HQ handsfree driving. I spend 2 hours in the car everyday (going to office and back together) and do atleast 45 min of talking on the road, otherwise I would have to sit in the office to finish the job and then leave. Yep I will keep the tyres no need to change that.

I have imp question. Does VW dealer in Thane and/or Nerul provide free accessories? I know VW cars are in great demand so they may not offer, but any advise on this will really help. Additionally my company will give me 15000/- in cash reimbursement for accessories. In total on a TDI Highline I would like to add v-kool or 3M or Lumar high heat rejection sunfilms, mudflaps, floor mats and then later change music system. Would I be able to sell the Highline audio system, or should I retain it to sell when I wish to sell the car 7-8 years down the line, maybe? I would like to get most if not all the accessories with least pocket expenses.

Thank you again for helping me out of the dilema!
Old 31st March 2011, 13:07   #877
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Layndrivr - congratulations for your new Polo. How long did you have to wait to get your hands on?

Thanks.

I booked the polo on Sunday and got it delivered Tuesday
Old 31st March 2011, 13:19   #878
BHPian

Quote:
To throw some light on the reversing light for Polo - Most European cars have reversing light on one side. It is usually on the opposite side from where the driver sits (left for right hand drive and right for left hand drive). The logic goes like - the driver can peek out through the window on his side and can see the rear obstructions, but on the other side he needs to rely on the ORVM. The ORVM being convex and at times slightly darkened or window glass being darkened does not allow for accurate view in absence of bright light. Thus the light is there on the opposite side. However this argument does not provide justification on why the light is not there on the drivers side. It would definitely provide a better view and moreover 2 lights produce more light than one.
The manufacturer utilizes the other slot (rear right for a LHD car) for putting in the rear fog lamps.
thanks for the clarification sadnabrina, it would definitely make more sense to have both the lights, will provide better visibility, if not just make it more symmetrical.

Now also, i have a comfortline, in which the light switch only comes out once as opposed to two for the highline, which controls the front fog lights. In my case the other i.e the right hand side reverse light, switches on when you pull out the light switch once and it illuminates in a mixture of white and orange. Is that for the rear fog light? and for people to overtake on the right hand side?
Old 31st March 2011, 13:29   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by layndrivr View Post
I booked the polo on Sunday and got it delivered Tuesday
Thats Refreshingly fast.!!!
Hope you arent talking about the Tuesday that falls after a month..
But ,looks like VW has flexed its muscles in increasing the production manyfolds..!! This was bound to happen.
Which Dealer was it anyways.!!

Last edited by sachinsumant : 31st March 2011 at 13:30. Reason: Addition
sachinsumant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 14:46   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Thats Refreshingly fast.!!!
Hope you arent talking about the Tuesday that falls after a month..
But ,looks like VW has flexed its muscles in increasing the production manyfolds..!! This was bound to happen.
Which Dealer was it anyways.!!
haha no it was the same month.

I booked it this Sunday (27th March 2011) and got it delivered this Tuesday (29th March 2011).

This was from Volkswagen Delhi Metropolitan, Okhla Phase 1.

I guess i got lucky as this was a new dealership and they got vehicles on priority to stock up.

When i inquired Bhasin Motors, they mentioned 45-60 days for the diesel variant.

another point where i guess i was lucky was that, the delhi govt. is increasing VAT on diesel vehicles to 40% and increasing the parking charges from 1st April onwards. So i saved around 15k there.
Old 5th April 2011, 12:17   #881
BHPian

Default Re: First Oil-Change Service @ 13,500 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Service Bill:

Engine oil ------------ Rs. 3,312
Oil Filter ------------- Rs. 325
Air Filter ------------- Rs. 508
A/C Filter ------------ Rs. 588 (Pollen filter)
Drain nut ------------ Rs. 45 (Replaced with every oil change!)
Paid service --------- Rs. 1,600
--------------------------------
Total ---------------- Rs. 7,188 (Including tax)
--------------------------------

Since I was under AMC, this was free for me. For others, I think they will add another 450 rupees for the VGA-COM analysis.

All in all - Quite an experience!! - What do you say? lol

Hi Chetan,
My Polo 1.6 has covered 14,500 kms and is scheduled to go for service in a weeks time. I was going through your post on your 1st service experience and noticed that they did not do Wheel Alignment and Balancing. Did you opt not to do it or did they say it is not required?

My dealer is quoting around Rs 11000 for the 1st service cost which is considerably higher than yours. I have asked them for a detailed breakup of the cost and am awaiting the same.

Anirban
Old 6th April 2011, 14:26   #882
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: First Oil-Change Service @ 13,500 Kms

Quote:
Hi Chetan,
My Polo 1.6 has covered 14,500 kms and is scheduled to go for service in a weeks time. I was going through your post on your 1st service experience and noticed that they did not do Wheel Alignment and Balancing. Did you opt not to do it or did they say it is not required?

My dealer is quoting around Rs 11000 for the 1st service cost which is considerably higher than yours. I have asked them for a detailed breakup of the cost and am awaiting the same.

Anirban
Hi Anirban,

Wheel balancing was not covered under AMC! It would have costed me around 600 bucks. But alignment was done. That day, I was not in the right frame of mind, because of whatever I had to go through at the dealership. When I was informed about the extra costs, I thought that I was being taken for a ride.

But honestly, ask them to give you a split-up. Think for a day and then leave your car for service. I feel that balancing would be required to reduce road noise. You can get this done outside also and save some money.

By the way, my car has done around 20,000 kms and I am loving it!

Will get the GPS added and update.....

Last edited by Chethan B G : 6th April 2011 at 14:29.
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 14:45   #883
BHPian

Hey Chetan, congrats on completing 20K kms. I've booked a Highline diesel as well now. Although its just a 50K cheque amount that I gave to "hold" the car for me till my company releases the full payment. The dealer had black and Pepper-gray for me to choose if I wanted instant delivery. I personally would have loved Red, but black was my second choice. Red will be delivered in 2nd week of june. I thought it doesnt matter and must go ahead with black. I will update once I get the car in my hand, hopefully by end of this month.

I have a question - Is the black pearl effect in Polo very different black than what I see on Honda city or Santro? I mean I have seen black on Linea and that looks way better than the black on Honda City - no I wasnt comparing old vs new cars. Is the pearl effect on Polo providing more gloss and shine?

Btw - I test drove the Vento diesel - I should say WoW. I was on palm beach road and saw a cedia overtaking a few cars, I quickly overtook cedia. In no time it is on 160.. just gives a nice smack on your @$$ when the turbo kicks in
Old 7th April 2011, 18:34   #884
BHPian

Default Re: First Oil-Change Service @ 13,500 Kms

Hi Chetan,
Thanks for your response and inputs.
Someone suggested me that I am in the "Diesel" territory with 14K in 7 months. With 20K on your ODO you are absolutely on the spot with your "Deisel" decision. Only if they launched the Polo Cup 1.6 Diesel for us.

Anirban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Anirban,

Wheel balancing was not covered under AMC! It would have costed me around 600 bucks. But alignment was done. That day, I was not in the right frame of mind, because of whatever I had to go through at the dealership. When I was informed about the extra costs, I thought that I was being taken for a ride.

But honestly, ask them to give you a split-up. Think for a day and then leave your car for service. I feel that balancing would be required to reduce road noise. You can get this done outside also and save some money.

By the way, my car has done around 20,000 kms and I am loving it!

Will get the GPS added and update.....
Old 7th April 2011, 18:47   #885
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Hey Chetan, congrats on completing 20K kms. I've booked a Highline diesel as well now. Although its just a 50K cheque amount that I gave to "hold" the car for me till my company releases the full payment. The dealer had black and Pepper-gray for me to choose if I wanted instant delivery. I personally would have loved Red, but black was my second choice. Red will be delivered in 2nd week of june. I thought it doesnt matter and must go ahead with black. I will update once I get the car in my hand, hopefully by end of this month.

I have a question - Is the black pearl effect in Polo very different black than what I see on Honda city or Santro? I mean I have seen black on Linea and that looks way better than the black on Honda City - no I wasnt comparing old vs new cars. Is the pearl effect on Polo providing more gloss and shine?

Btw - I test drove the Vento diesel - I should say WoW. I was on palm beach road and saw a cedia overtaking a few cars, I quickly overtook cedia. In no time it is on 160.. just gives a nice smack on your @$$ when the turbo kicks in
Thanks! I agree with you on Vento diesel. I had a similar experience when I took a test drive. Also, I noticed a strange thing. Even though the power/torque was much higher in a Vento, I felt that its response and behavior was similar to polo. One can easily make out that the 3 cylinder Polo engine is derived from the 4 cylinder Vento engine. That makes Polo fun to drive on highways.

Pearl effect Black on Polo is much different. Lot different than the other cars I had seen in black. Just to refresh our memories:

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p6060043.jpg
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote