Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 23:02   #931
BHPian
 
Omega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 145
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Note from Support: Your query has been posted in another thread. Please don't cross-post. Thanks!
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 02:17   #932
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Thank you Buffetfan!

The 205.55.15 has slightly higher sidewalls than 185.60.15 and hence it wont affect ride quality, infact better it. This I understood from one of GTO's post earlier.!
Sidewall height is not the only criteria, unfortunately. A wider tire also picks up more undulations from the road surface and hence a bumpier ride.

I can see this in my Innova - 225/60R15 have a better sidewall height compared to the stock 205/65R15. Still has a very slightly firm ride in comparison.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 19:06   #933
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Hi Chethan,

Since you have done extensive research on the Polo Audio System, could you help me with the technical specs of the kenwood system that comes with highline. I wanted to upgrade, but now planning to just add a pair of JBLs on the rear parcel tray (with a good tweeter)
Infantarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:19   #934
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrisri View Post
Hi Chethan - Did you review any other speakers before finalizing on Hertz speakers?

I got my Polo 1.6 last week and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on them (without changing the HU or adding an amp).
I checked Polk audio also. Polk audio speakers are good for rock music. Hertz is good for classical. Price difference is not much. You can try both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Hi Chethan,

Since you have done extensive research on the Polo Audio System, could you help me with the technical specs of the kenwood system that comes with highline. I wanted to upgrade, but now planning to just add a pair of JBLs on the rear parcel tray (with a good tweeter)
Stock HU is Blaupunkt and not Kenwood. Very basic one. SQ is also very average. Infact, you should change the stock speakers first. Just by doing that SQ improves by 25%.


An Update:


Finally I could get the GPS integrated to my Pioneer 3250BT head unit. Bx200 from MapMyIndia integrates perfectly and looks great!

MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India

It costed me 19K with B & W. Version 6 Map from MapMyIndia looks good. With this all the upgrades I had planned for my Polo is completed. Atleast as of now. Car is doing well and it is a pleasure to drive as usual!

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st May 2011 at 15:36. Reason: Stick to 2 smileys per post. Tks!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:27   #935
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 199 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Welcome back Chetan, could you post pictures of your ICE upgrade? Did you use the fascia from Europe? Do such fascia give perfect fit and finish?
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:13   #936
BHPian
 
FanaticOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 296
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Congratulations on the vehicle (This is probably a bit late). Looks stunning in black. The fog lamps and the headlamps stand out in this colour. How is the high speed performance of this vehicle?

I recently went on a long drive along the NH45, and was surprised to see a TDi doing 170 KM/hr. Was there an upgrade of the diesel unit that I missed, or is the original engine capable of doing such speeds? Impressive I must say.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 18:13   #937
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Welcome back Chetan, could you post pictures of your ICE upgrade? Did you use the fascia from Europe? Do such fascia give perfect fit and finish?
Hi! I had gone on a month long holiday. Good to be back.

I have searched my own thread to answer your questions. Please go through the following posts on this thread.
  1. post no: 663, page no:45
  2. post no: 758, page no:51
  3. post no: 773, page no:52
GPS upgrade will not alter any thing WRT looks of the ICE. I will try to post some GPS navigation menus during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Congratulations on the vehicle (This is probably a bit late). Looks stunning in black. The fog lamps and the headlamps stand out in this colour. How is the high speed performance of this vehicle?

I recently went on a long drive along the NH45, and was surprised to see a TDi doing 170 KM/hr. Was there an upgrade of the diesel unit that I missed, or is the original engine capable of doing such speeds? Impressive I must say.
Thanks. It is better late than never!

This car has excellent high speed performance. Both in terms of handling/stability and top-end grunt. It is a delight to drive this car on the highway. Even though on papers, it is just a 3 pot engine, it can deliver much better.

And yes. It is the original engine without any modification, which can deliver such greats. I have crossed 160 on my Polo and there was quite a bit more steam left. Not heard of any modifications. IMHO, modifications are not necessary for this car, since our roads/traffic do not permit us to exploit further enhancements.


Another update:

Polo insurance was due for renewal on 3rd June 2011. I renewed with "United India Insurance". Cash less transaction + Zero depreciation + No claim bonus = Rs. 12,434/-

I had received an offer from ICICI Lombard (my original insurer through the VW dealer) for 16k+. I am richer by 4k.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:36   #938
BHPian
 
FanaticOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 296
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi! I had gone on a month long holiday. Good to be back.

I have searched my own thread to answer your questions. Please go through the following posts on this thread.
  1. post no: 663, page no:45
  2. post no: 758, page no:51
  3. post no: 773, page no:52
GPS upgrade will not alter any thing WRT looks of the ICE. I will try to post some GPS navigation menus during the weekend.



Thanks. It is better late than never!

This car has excellent high speed performance. Both in terms of handling/stability and top-end grunt. It is a delight to drive this car on the highway. Even though on papers, it is just a 3 pot engine, it can deliver much better.

And yes. It is the original engine without any modification, which can deliver such greats. I have crossed 160 on my Polo and there was quite a bit more steam left. Not heard of any modifications. IMHO, modifications are not necessary for this car, since our roads/traffic do not permit us to exploit further enhancements.


Another update:

Polo insurance was due for renewal on 3rd June 2011. I renewed with "United India Insurance". Cash less transaction + Zero depreciation + No claim bonus = Rs. 12,434/-

I had received an offer from ICICI Lombard (my original insurer through the VW dealer) for 16k+. I am richer by 4k.
That's interesting to hear. The things that numbers do to the human mind. A 75 bhp engine doing 170 KM/hr sure is interesting. Diesels sure are going the right way forward.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 17:36   #939
Max
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Thane
Posts: 534
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

chethan, did you buy insurance online or you went through some broker / agent?.

Also, FanaticOnWheels. I don't feel its safe to drive 170KM on Indian roads, even united states has speed limit of 100-120kph speed limits on its highways. Please drive safe.

btw, I don't drive more then 110kmph on express ways and on normal highways its 70-100kph. Once upon a time, I was driving on empty highway at 70kmph and suddenly a kid appeared from nowhere and started running on highway. I pushed my car breaks very hard but was unable to stop the car. Fortunately my luck was good on that day and kid saw my car and backed off which saved both of our lives. It was very scary experience and I would highly discourage everyone from driving so fast even on empty highways.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 18:12   #940
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
That's interesting to hear. The things that numbers do to the human mind. A 75 bhp engine doing 170 KM/hr sure is interesting. Diesels sure are going the right way forward.
while it is not at all advisable to drive at such speeds, I want to clarify some things here.
True top speed of Polo TDI is around 156 kmph and if you account for 7-10% speedo error, it might hit 170 on the speedo.
FYI - Swift Diesel with a 75 bhp motor has a slightly higher top speed. Some of the bigger hatches have top speed in the range of 150-160 kmph (true speed) while many others have higher top speed

Most of the petrol hatchbacks have a true top speed more than 160 kmph (Swift petrol at 165 kmph. for example).

Just pick out any issues of Autocar where you have a comparo of the hatchbacks and you can verify the figures.
I have hit almost 160 kmph on my 63 bhp Santro
What I am trying to say is that there is nothing unusual about a 75 hp motor hitting 170 on the speedo and it has nothing to do with diesel as well.



Again, I am not advocating driving at those speeds. I had my share of luck in some situations which could have been deadly otherwise! And I am a much more sane driver now-a-days! So, let us keep the top speed discussions theoretical and drive safe . Most cars have enough power to attain the 'safe' speed limits in our conutry.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 18:33   #941
BHPian
 
FanaticOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 296
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
while it is not at all advisable to drive at such speeds, I want to clarify some things here.
True top speed of Polo TDI is around 156 kmph and if you account for 7-10% speedo error, it might hit 170 on the speedo.
FYI - Swift Diesel with a 75 bhp motor has a slightly higher top speed. Some of the bigger hatches have top speed in the range of 150-160 kmph (true speed) while many others have higher top speed

Most of the petrol hatchbacks have a true top speed more than 160 kmph (Swift petrol at 165 kmph. for example).

Just pick out any issues of Autocar where you have a comparo of the hatchbacks and you can verify the figures.
I have hit almost 160 kmph on my 63 bhp Santro
What I am trying to say is that there is nothing unusual about a 75 hp motor hitting 170 on the speedo and it has nothing to do with diesel as well.



Again, I am not advocating driving at those speeds. I had my share of luck in some situations which could have been deadly otherwise! And I am a much more sane driver now-a-days! So, let us keep the top speed discussions theoretical and drive safe . Most cars have enough power to attain the 'safe' speed limits in our conutry.
Well you can rest assured that such speeds were achieved on straight, clear stretches. I generally do not exceed 120 km/hr on national highways, except for the occasional bursts to open up the iVtec . That said, it was impressive the way the TDi pulled at speeds > 140.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 22:40   #942
BHPian
 
venkateshkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrisri View Post
Hi Chethan - Did you review any other speakers before finalizing on Hertz speakers?

I got my Polo 1.6 last week and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on them (without changing the HU or adding an amp).



I just installed Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 on my Polo 1.6. They're very good. Comfort has improved.. drive is lot smooth now and road noise has significantly reduced (compared to what it was with stock Apollo Accelere's).
Hi Shrisri

How much did the Michelin tyres cost you per tyre? Did the dealer give a buyback price?
venkateshkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:39   #943
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 13
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Hi Shrisri

How much did the Michelin tyres cost you per tyre? Did the dealer give a buyback price?
Venkatesh, each Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 cost Rs. 5800. The dealer offered me buyback price of Rs.2500 per tyre of stock ones (Apollo Accelere 185/60 R15).

Dealer: Reliance Autozone on ORR, HSR Layout
shrisri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 13:42   #944
BHPian
 
jaisha8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Trichur, Kerala
Posts: 358
Thanked: 98 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Just wished to know if Polo has got an external 12V power adapter just in case we need to charge our mobile. Dont remember seeing one?
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 14:48   #945
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Just wished to know if Polo has got an external 12V power adapter just in case we need to charge our mobile. Dont remember seeing one?
The Polo has a 12V power socket. It's hidden behind the cup holders.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Replacements. EDIT : Now Sold! shashank.nk Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 83 15th September 2015 16:11
Deep Black Polo 1.6 Petrol Highline- Initial Ownership Review - 200 Km hossdoc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 83 20th October 2013 15:32
VW Vento Highline TDI in Reflex Silver (Initial report) msd63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 16th November 2010 01:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks