Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 11:42   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

The route you took should have been really beautiful at this time of the year, when it has just started to rain.

Congrats on the car, and wish you a very happy motoring.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 12:31   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,572
Thanked: 814 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
So much to be done to lift up the wiper ? engineering !!
Only if there is some advantage to the complete complex procedure vs other cars.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:23   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@chethan, Just a curiosity have you ever thought for having chrome on windows just like in BMWs and accord. Are they available accessories with dealer too. I bet this would make Car looks more classier even better then chrome on front grill.
This is interesting. Is it possible for you to post some Pics? Haven't heard it from the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
next time no excuses . You got to take the camera , take some breaks and manage some pics .
Green scenery - straight roads - drizzle - Polo ; Its just picture perfect !!

Yes Sir!

But really good to hear the car performance on highway and the ghat section . Isnt it a nice feeling to wander in the roads and people noticing you and the car ? It become even more special when you need to spend only 2 rs for every Km that you drive

Yesterday, on my Mysore trip, MFD went up to 26 Kmpl - Avg FE!! I will post that pic.

So much to be done to lift up the wiper ? engineering !!

I am really eager to find out the reason. How is it in Skoda, Audi, Merc - Any idea?

Agree , but I dont think we can do much about it . Its just about being careful when you climb down
And some times going up also. To understand it better, next time I will take a snap and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
The route you took should have been really beautiful at this time of the year, when it has just started to rain.

Congrats on the car, and wish you a very happy motoring.
Thanks deepakhon. The route is very beautiful. Mainly between Tarekere and Chickmangalore. Worth visiting. On the way back, one can visit Belur temple also. This is between Chickmangalore and Hassan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Only if there is some advantage to the complete complex procedure vs other cars.
I heard that most German cars are designed this way. Don't know why?
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 08:52   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Talking Polo - Tdi FE!!

This one is amazing. My past experience tells me that this can be believed. I could achieve it in 5th gear - 60-80 Kmph constant speed on Bangalore - Mysore road.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-mfdfe1.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-mfdfe2.jpg  

Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 09:24   #110
BHPian
 
rejoycjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Calicut
Posts: 442
Thanked: 708 Times
Default

Quote:
Only if there is some advantage to the complete complex procedure vs other cars.
well no idea , may be we are not used to it . Hope there is a reason for the same . @ chethan , if you can have a chat with the SP at VW dealership that will be perfect .

Quote:
Yesterday, on my Mysore trip, MFD went up to 26 Kmpl - Avg FE!! I will post that pic.

And some times going up also. To understand it better, next time I will take a snap and post it.
Great , and I saw the average FE in your MFD picture , good going brother .

Scrapping the bumper to the ramps will definitely make our heart sink . Any Idea on the approximate approach angle ?
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:02   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

@chethan: Here, I had posted Honda Accord pic with chrome on the windows. However, I am not sure if they are available accessories with VW.
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:23   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
well no idea , may be we are not used to it . Hope there is a reason for the same . @ Chetan , if you can have a chat with the SP at VW dealership that will be perfect .


Great , and I saw the average FE in your MFD picture , good going brother .

Scrapping the bumper to the ramps will definitely make our heart sink . Any Idea on the approximate approach angle ?
I will do so.

Bumper scrapping: This never happens while passing on road humps, however big they are (practically, you won't have a hill in front of you).

I had problem for the first time (only once until now) in Shimoga. In my relatives house, near the gate, there is a ramp. The difference between the level of the road and the level of the floor inside the gate is quite high. Also the inclination is very abrupt (reaches 1 1/2 feet height in a span of 1 1/2 feet). When I tried to drive the car inside the gate, bottom of the front bumper scrapped. (I used to park my Spark in the same place, without any problem). Then, I tried parking reverse and was successful without any problems. While bringing the car out, I did not have any problems.

In Bangalore, I have a ramp in front of the gate of my house. This is also quite steep. But I do not have any problems. Will post some pics today night.

I would like to add: This bumper is of very high quality. IMO it will not be damaged by these scraps. But the sound it makes, irritates.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th June 2010 at 11:32.
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:17   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@chethan: Here, I had posted Honda Accord pic with chrome on the windows. However, I am not sure if they are available accessories with VW.
Sorry Subaro123. Pics are not visible. Can you post it again?
You can also post a link to a URL if available.

IMHO have no worries about this 3 pot engine! If 3 can do it, why have 4?!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th June 2010 at 12:32.
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:05   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: Once
Default

Don't know why it doesn't come. Check out this link

Honda Accord Crosstour wallpaper # 07 of 169, Front Angle, MY 2010, 800x600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Sorry Subaro123. Pics are not visible. Can you post it again?
You can also post a link to a URL if available.

IMHO have no worries about this 3 pot engine! If 3 can do it, why have 4?!!
Subaro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:34   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

front bumper scrapping is making me nervous, actually I was planning to have skirting on front bumper, but your experience is making me rethink about my decision.

during my first TD I had noticed this wiper issue, when I asked SP he said it is for safety reason, and how? he didnt have a clue. I tried thinking a lot about it but could not find any logic for such a design. One thing for sure, it cannot be a design fault. I have stayed in Germany and one thing I have noticed, if they do something it is for a valid reason, they always have some logic. Most of the times you can make it out but this is like the toughest riddle.
formel_eins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:34   #116
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Awesome FE Chethan it will ease some of the pain of paying what may would feel a high cost for a hatchback
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:24   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
Don't know why it doesn't come. Check out this link

Honda Accord Crosstour wallpaper # 07 of 169, Front Angle, MY 2010, 800x600
Wow! It looks great! But it is not available as an accessory with the Dealer. maybe, after some time, it will be available as an after market fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
front bumper scrapping is making me nervous, actually I was planning to have skirting on front bumper, but your experience is making me rethink about my decision.

during my first TD I had noticed this wiper issue, when I asked SP he said it is for safety reason, and how? he didnt have a clue. I tried thinking a lot about it but could not find any logic for such a design. One thing for sure, it cannot be a design fault. I have stayed in Germany and one thing I have noticed, if they do something it is for a valid reason, they always have some logic. Most of the times you can make it out but this is like the toughest riddle.
Skirting is definitely not a practical add-on. I think that the lowest part of the car is the bottom of the front bumper. I strongly suggest you to rethink on this. Skirting's are not cheap to forgive and forget.

I totally agree with you. Collectively, we will try to find out the reason. It is interesting. It is definitely not a design fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Awesome FE Chethan it will ease some of the pain of paying what may would feel a high cost for a hatchback
In fact the avg FE had gone past 26Kmpl during some patches of the journey. I have filled the tank until the rim. I will refill it again after 2 days and post.
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:51   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

I am intrigued at the wiper design. Can u guys confirm, if the wiper is in the parked position (i.e, when not lift-able), does the wiper blade touch the windscreen or there is a slight gap. Also, once it is brought into a position from where it can be lifted up for cleaning (as per the process mentioned in the manual), does it still touch the windscreen.

If indeed there is gap in the so-called parked position, then it is an intelligent design - inspired may be from HDD read/write head parking technology.

Or, is it something to do with anti-theft deterrence?

Last edited by sanjayc : 16th June 2010 at 15:57.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 16:20   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,837
Thanked: 7,197 Times
Default

I haven't seen this (not seen a polo close-to yet) but I suspect that there are two reasons for this feature:

1. Clean visual lines

2. Clean aerodynamic lines.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 17:48   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,419
Thanked: 693 Times
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
I am intrigued at the wiper design. Can u guys confirm, if the wiper is in the parked position (i.e, when not lift-able), does the wiper blade touch the windscreen or there is a slight gap. Also, once it is brought into a position from where it can be lifted up for cleaning (as per the process mentioned in the manual), does it still touch the windscreen.

If indeed there is gap in the so-called parked position, then it is an intelligent design - inspired may be from HDD read/write head parking technology.

Or, is it something to do with anti-theft deterrence?
I checked it. There is no gap in either positions. Wiper blade touches the windscreen and seats perfectly on it. There must be some other reason. Anti-theft deterrence OR Safety? I do not know. But will definitely find out for sure!!

Another thing I observed was: When I move the wipers back from the Service position, I could here a click sound under the bonnet. Like a solenoid operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't seen this (not seen a polo close-to yet) but I suspect that there are two reasons for this feature:

1. Clean visual lines

2. Clean aerodynamic lines.
May Be. But I feel that it has to be more technical - For somebody to religiously follow the procedure and then to properly document it.


Pics showing the inclination in front of my house. This magnitude does not create any problem.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-front-bumper-1.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-front-gradiant.jpg  

Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Replacements. EDIT : Now Sold! shashank.nk Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 83 15th September 2015 16:11
Deep Black Polo 1.6 Petrol Highline- Initial Ownership Review - 200 Km hossdoc Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 83 20th October 2013 15:32
VW Vento Highline TDI in Reflex Silver (Initial report) msd63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 16th November 2010 01:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks