Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th July 2011, 11:38   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Long Term Ownership Review - Punto EP 1.3 -- 79,000 Kms. Review

Looking forward to your planned Leh visit and as usual i have had my share of reading delight perusing your thread.
Happy motoring
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 21:38   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
Mods: A request to you first to change odo reading to 79100 kms. please.

Had been contemplating shifting to Bilstein B16s with stock sized V550s on the car on the next tire change and it may just be possible within the next few days. Drove a friends car extensively thats been fitted with the Bilstiens on stock sized A-Drives and runs only a K&N and is otherwise stock. The cornering and handling simply blew my mind away. I need those on the car for sure.
Hi! Mandeep,

Your thread is something I get to learn from . You were on 205/60 and are now planning to shift back to 195/60, Why?. Can't B16's be fitted with 205? How was your experience with 205 is it very heavy on the steering?

Thanks,
Kiran
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:57   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Hi! Mandeep,

Your thread is something I get to learn from . You were on 205/60 and are now planning to shift back to 195/60, Why?. Can't B16's be fitted with 205? How was your experience with 205 is it very heavy on the steering?

Thanks,
Kiran
hi kiren,
thanks for going through the thread.
reason for going back to 195/60 is that i want to get the original roll back to the car.
with the bilstiens the car is going to sit slightly taller so in any case the purpose of 205/60s to increase the gc is solved. even otherwise, i've been extensively driving a friends punto fitted with bilstiens and even with stock sized adrives on the car, it feels planted on high speeds. what i can get to understand from this is that the car is not undertired at all. and hence the reason for going back to the stock size. anyways, i shifted to stock sized tires and dropped the plan of the bilstiens for atleast one month
drive safe, wear a seatbelt.

hi gaaij,

finally managed to give the car for all the pending work on it.
got the car back on saturday, duly painted, smartwaxed and windshield replaced.
replaced the v550s and shifted to stock sized c drives.
loved the way the car performed on the road.
odo reads 84600. will be updating with all thats been done and how thats been done.
a couple of days please as i clear my work backlog.
drive safe you guys, always wear a seat belt.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th August 2011 at 17:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use edit option if posting again within 30 mins. Thanks
epicenter.rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 14:29   #154
BHPian

Hi Mandeep,
I really appreciate your efforts to pen down all the car ownership experience that you had with swift D and Punto D.
Knowledge is power and when it is shared it becomes more helpful for all the people around.
Many good vehciles failed due to lack of knwoledge from technicians as well as the owners of the vehicle.

Keep going ! All the best!

Regards
Denny
(Responsible Driving!)
Tornado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 18:20   #155
h14
BHPian

Hi Mandeep, read each and ever single of your post in this thread. Firstly many congratulations on so many trouble free miles. I guess you might have crossed well over the 85k mark.

All my fears of turbo failure, fuel pump failure etc on installing a tuning box are now history. You've done at-least over 70k with the box and i believe you haven't had any such issues. Now I'm seriously considering a box for my Linea MJD. Do let me know your views too. I'm looking at race chip as I have driven a Linea MJD and a Palio MJD fitted with it and I was really happy with it. Only fear for me was concern on the turbo and fuel pump wearing out soon.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 23:45   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
All my fears of turbo failure, fuel pump failure etc on installing a tuning box are now history. You've done at-least over 70k with the box and i believe you haven't had any such issues.... Only fear for me was concern on the turbo and fuel pump wearing out soon.
h14 and mandeep: Please don't consider that I am trying to promote unsubstantiated or biased information, but there is a person on this forum who wrote about a Swift Diesel fuel pump wearing out because of the additional fuel pressure due to long-term usage of a Pete's box. He is from Gujarat and now owns a Nissan X-trail. I am in a bit of a rush right now, but will try to give you the link for that particular post. It might be worthwhile to know more. I am not saying all Peted multijet engine will have their fuel pumps wearing out, but such a case exists.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 23:16   #157
BHPian

thanks tornado, h14 and architect,
a million apologies for being off the board for so long but a lot of work and a lot of driving has kept me quite busy these last few days.
just wanna share the wonderful news that the car crossed 90000 kilometers yesterday night when i was traveling back from office.

@architect, please do send the link across. though i doubt the tuning box did anything to the pump, but a good read never hurt anybody. the car odo is still notching up the miles with the tuning box, the filter and the exhaust at 90000 kilometers. my drives are usually done with the speedo needle hovering around the 3 digit mark and most of the times just north of 120 kph.

the car goes in for service on wednesday and thats when i'll be putting up a lot of missing updates.

till then, drive safe buddies, and always wear a seat belt.

would also like to request the mods to update the mileage to 90000 if its not too much of a pain please!!

Last edited by epicenter.rulez : 17th September 2011 at 23:18. Reason: forgot to mention something
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 12:48   #158
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

90000 kms !!!

Damn! Mandeep, your car's odo is faster than a Volvo bus.
How often do you fill up diesel ? Daily is my guess

Anyways, great going.

What's the status of timing chain & clutch ? Replaced ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 15:19   #159
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading each and every post of yours in the thread and it was truly informative.
There are few Punto owners on the forum and even few who have clocked in miles as you have and i must say your thread serves as a bible to all propspective buyers who are even considering the Punto as their next car.
If at 90k odd kms there's not been a single rattle in your car that hasn't been solved it speaks volumes about the build quality despite the poor fitting plastics.
With a remus exhaust and a tuning box its good to know the Punto is no slouch when compared with the Swift's and the i20's, also all apprehensions i had about damage caused to engine due to use of theses boxes has vanished

Thanks for ur ownership report!

Between the Punto 76 hp and the 90 hp which one would you suggest ? Considering most of the usage will be in bangalore city ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 19th September 2011 at 15:44.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 01:15   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What's the status of timing chain & clutch ? Replaced ?
My Palio Multijet manual says timing chain is to be 'checked 'at 60,000 km and changed at 1,20,000 km. It might be a good idea for Mandeep to get it changed at 1,00,000 km or 1,20,000 km.

Mandeep, I am curious about the clutch as well. Have you opened it up recently?
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 01:43   #161
BHPian

Hi all,

There is a video by "dayco" timing belt company in youtube.
They say that if other components like bearings and tensioners etc are not replaced along with timing belt then the new timing belt's life reduces to 50%.

Which means that they are suggesting to buy a timing chain kit (with water pump or with out), which included all these hard wares.

() this is the video.
Have a look.

Punto's is a chain?

My palio 1.9 D is in garage and timing belt and auxiliary belt etc are going for a replacement due to a break down.

Regards
Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
My Palio Multijet manual says timing chain is to be 'checked 'at 60,000 km and changed at 1,20,000 km. It might be a good idea for Mandeep to get it changed at 1,00,000 km or 1,20,000 km.

Mandeep, I am curious about the clutch as well. Have you opened it up recently?
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 17:46   #162
BHPian

Man what a post !!!
Truly Just finished reading each and every post of yours in the thread n the complete details( took me 2 days). kudos for putting all this info together for all current and prospective Punto Owners

I am thinking of trading my 2006 Zen for a Deisel hatchback. In my mind the cars are Figo, Punto and Polo( in the same order as mentioned).

You wont believe after reading this thread i got goosebumps and chill wave down my spine sheerly out of excitement, details give and the way the Punto performs.

The only reason Figo is in the first place is "VFM" but Punto looks and solid build quality is leagues apart.

Keep those posts coming in loved reading your thread..

Cheers,
Chethan
chethan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 20:22   #163
BHPian

to all those who went through the pain of reading this thread, a load of thanks buddies.
the car's 95857 kilometers old as i prepare to tank it up for the trip to udaipur tomorrow.
will be back on sunday late night and lazy and drowned in work as i am, i promise all of you the final update of the last 10000 kilometers latest by tuesday or you can have my head on a platter.
to one question that was asked here, yes the clutch is stock. and to another, there is no mention of the timing chain replacement in the service book. but i think i'll go for it at the 1.20 lac kilometer service.
take care all you brothers out there, always wear a seatbelt.
and yeah, a very belated diwali wishes and new year compliments to all of you.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 18:15   #164
BHPian

Hi Mandeep,

One superb ownership report this is! I booked a Punto 90HP on the day before and my confidence has grown manifold reading your experience!

It took me nearly 2 days of intermittent reading to complete this thread and I am really thankful to you for sharing your experience and teambhp for providing us this wonderful platform to share our knowledge and experiences!

Since I plan to do a lot of highway driving with my car, please let me know if the Punto stock headlights are adequate, by your experience, or do I need to upgrade the bulbs, wiring with additional cut-out? (I love to keep it stock, but will upgrade if the stock lights are not safe enough)

Look forward to your 100,000 km post, and Ladakh trip details,

Thanks again!
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:13   #165
BHPian

One more fiat customer and thanks to you team bhp .I also primarily went for Grand punto after the review of GTO and I am really happy that I took the right decision inspite of all the post sales niggles i had to face .
@autocrat ,happy mile munching ,you really going to happy oodles of happy motoring to come as you discover the marvel the punto is,I wont go into details as others have clearly and more eruditely mentioned
happy puntoing
regards
praveen
blueblooded is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote