Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th February 2013, 16:27   #256
BHPian

Default re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
hi gaaij,
the punto turned 3 today.
At 157000 kilometers, it still looks fit to tackle the roads for a similar amount of kilometers more.
a lot of updates pedning from my side, but this was a reason to celebrate.

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
Congrats to you and your Punto! Thats a great number at the age of three!

My Punto turned 2.5 years of age on 29th of last month and has clocked around 45K - at the rate of 18000 Kms an year. 18K an year, I had thought, is not a small number either.

To try and realize how fast you have munched miles on your Punto, I did a small calculation:
By the third B'day of my Punto, if I have to match your Punto's 157 thousand mark, starting from early morning tomorrow, I should drive around 650Kms everyday, till 28th August, 2013!
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 21:11   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi gaaij
Proud to get to this!
Having a bit of an overboost situation.
Will try to sort it out this weekend.
Till then, drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
We are still in the hangover of your Swift covering 1.5L kms and here you bought a Punto & covered another 1.5L kms on it.

I think you should apply for some Guinness records on covering so much kilometers by private vehicles. Might get thru.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:24   #258
BHPian

hi gaaij,
sorry for not replying to any of the posts. The restoration of a 62 model RE 350 is keeping me from doing it since the last couple of months.
Hopefully the bike will hit the roads by next Friday post which, I will be able to put pen to paper or rather keyboard to forum.
Till then, rest assured in the fact that the Punto is capable of crossing atleast 160000 kilometers without major hiccups because mine did just that.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
epicenter.rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 16:00   #259
BHPian

Quote:
hi gaaij,
sorry for not replying to any of the posts. The restoration of a 62 model RE 350 is keeping me from doing it since the last couple of months.
Hopefully the bike will hit the roads by next Friday post which, I will be able to put pen to paper or rather keyboard to forum.
Till then, rest assured in the fact that the Punto is capable of crossing atleast 160000 kilometers without major hiccups because mine did just that.
Drive safe, always wear a seatbelt!
Thanks for the update, Mandeep! I have a request - can you post photographs of your 1.6 Lakh Punto? Both interiors as well as exteriors and engine bay? Thanks in advance!
devansn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 20:16   #260
BHPian

Mandeep,

Sorry for the second post - don't think I can edit the previous one:
I am facing this issue rarely: the MJD seems to be missing one cycle some time - in other words, a "missing" seems to occur rarely - this happens once in a few hundred kms only - that rare.

But still I had brought this to the service adviser at the time of the 45K service. Needless to mention, this issue is not easily reproducible. They said that they checked everything and things looked fine - no need to clean the EGR valve, the fuel lines, etc. The issue happened to me twice after the service (in about 1500 Kms) though. Any suggestions?

The other point to note is that the fuel efficiency is not bad - if driven wise (in the 90-100 km/hr with the RPM in the 2K to 2.5K band mostly - rarely above 3K), I am still managing 22 kmpl or so, with 100% ACC. Appreciate your advises on this matter.
Old 14th April 2013, 23:16   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Mandeep,

Sorry for the second post - don't think I can edit the previous one:
I am facing this issue rarely: the MJD seems to be missing one cycle some time - in other words, a "missing" seems to occur rarely - this happens once in a few hundred kms only - that rare.

But still I had brought this to the service adviser at the time of the 45K service. Needless to mention, this issue is not easily reproducible. They said that they checked everything and things looked fine - no need to clean the EGR valve, the fuel lines, etc. The issue happened to me twice after the service (in about 1500 Kms) though. Any suggestions?

The other point to note is that the fuel efficiency is not bad - if driven wise (in the 90-100 km/hr with the RPM in the 2K to 2.5K band mostly - rarely above 3K), I am still managing 22 kmpl or so, with 100% ACC. Appreciate your advises on this matter.
hi devansn,
maybe bad diesel or something?
i dont think this has happened with my car. is this missing thing only when the car is started and disappears when the car warms up?
by the way, my car crossed the 165000 mark today and goes in for service tomorrow.
with all the fluids and lubricants being changed and the egr cleaning on the schedule, i think the bill will be somewhere in the range of 10 to 12k rupees.
would request the moderators to please change odo reading to 165000 kilometers please.

drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 23:37   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
the way, my car crossed the 165000 mark today and goes in for service tomorrow.
My 90HP has done around 33k kms in 11 months, and I might have a kerala trip coming up which may take the odo reading to 36k in 11 months. I will need to keep this car for another 5 years minimum - hence 1.5L kms is my expectation from this car.

Your thread gives me a LOT of confidence - and I hope my ownership experience remains this sweet as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 13:34   #263
BHPian

Default Re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

Quote:
hi devansn,
maybe bad diesel or something?
i dont think this has happened with my car. is this missing thing only when the car is started and disappears when the car warms up?
by the way, my car crossed the 165000 mark today and goes in for service tomorrow.
with all the fluids and lubricants being changed and the egr cleaning on the schedule, i think the bill will be somewhere in the range of 10 to 12k rupees.
would request the moderators to please change odo reading to 165000 kilometers please.

Yes, looks like bad diesel or something. In the last few weeks, I have not experienced this issue. And there is no particular pattern in this - happens any time, but rarely.

Congrats on your 12th service. How is the car doing now? Hope to see a detailed writeup for the missing period.

Honestly, till what time you are planning to keep this car? Do you think a few hundred thousand kms with no real maintenance nightmares and decent driving pleasure is possible with the Punto?
Old 15th April 2013, 18:24   #264
BHPian

Quote:
hi headers & kiren,
i myself wouldve gone for the increased ground clearance kit, but then the body roll would be that much more prominent and i dont like that.

the 165 mm of ground clearance on the older puntoes is also not that bad when the cars are running relatively less, but at 1.3k, the suspension does show signs of softening up.

so the best option for me was to upsize the tires again, and since they were already due for replacement, i bit the bullet. the 6 mm height over the stock size was gained from there.

now come the cushion tech pads, cushion tech being the name of the company that makes them. they are made from nylon 6, the reason of using this material and the properties being high tensile strength, elasticity and luster as well as their tendency to be wrinkle free.

these come in various sizes (heights and circumferences) and some cars use a combination of one or more size for best results. the photos show, how they are installed. its a 10 minute job

what they do is that once they are fitted, they maintain the heights of the springs and prevent the car suspension from bottoming out. As they are acting as spacers between the springs, they basically modify the spring ratings and make them stiffer, in turn making it difficult for the suspension to act mushy.

not only that, since the setup becomes stiffer, they also prevent the unnecessary body roll of the car at high speeds and during cornering. this also helps in slightly better braking efficiency as the car stops nosediving and the duration of maximum contact of the tire to the road surface is more (atleast this is what they say).

since the car doesnt squat on its haunches like earlier due to these, the ground clearance issue is sorted out.

hope this helps.
Hey Mandeep,

Even I would like to checkout the cushion tech pads. Can you please share some more information about those? From where to get hold of these? How much do they cost? and most importantly how are they holding together after some serious KMS on odo??
me@fiat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:14   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
Hey Mandeep,

Even I would like to checkout the cushion tech pads. Can you please share some more information about those? From where to get hold of these? How much do they cost? and most importantly how are they holding together after some serious KMS on odo??
hi me@fiat,
had got the pads at roughly 137000 kilometers on the odo. the odo reads 167 odd thousand kilometers as of today.
the pads are still holding up. every time i take the car for a wash up on a ramp, i check the condition of the pads. except for looking dirty before the wash and clean after the wash, havent noticed any deterioration of the material. And even otherwise, the drive quality hasnt changed so they havent gone bad until now.
sent you a PM regarding the contact for the pads.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 16:23   #266
BHPian

Quote:
hi me@fiat,
had got the pads at roughly 137000 kilometers on the odo. the odo reads 167 odd thousand kilometers as of today.
the pads are still holding up. every time i take the car for a wash up on a ramp, i check the condition of the pads. except for looking dirty before the wash and clean after the wash, havent noticed any deterioration of the material. And even otherwise, the drive quality hasnt changed so they havent gone bad until now.
sent you a PM regarding the contact for the pads.
Hey Epicenter,
Thanks for the above details man. But, when i am checking my inbox i don't
see any mail from you!!! or am i searing it in a wrong place??
me@fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 10:36   #267
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Long Term Review - Fiat Punto EP 1.3 - EDIT: 165,000 kms up

Quote:
the odo reads 167 odd thousand kilometers as of today.
Cool!! The car is being driven like it should be driven! Your thread should be displayed prominently by FIAT on their website. You regular updates go on to reinforce the belief in FIAT cars. Fantastic. It speaks a lot about the quality of their cars. Can we have some pics of the car again? Also, how much longer do you plan to keep it with you?

O.T: After you sell the Punto maybe after clocking 2.5L kilometers, what would be your next car?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:24   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Cool!! The car is being driven like it should be driven! Your thread should be displayed prominently by FIAT on their website. You regular updates go on to reinforce the belief in FIAT cars. Fantastic. It speaks a lot about the quality of their cars. Can we have some pics of the car again? Also, how much longer do you plan to keep it with you?

O.T: After you sell the Punto maybe after clocking 2.5L kilometers, what would be your next car?
Hi W.A.G.7,

Would you call me crazy if you come to know that just a few days back i was negotiating with the ex FIAT dealer here for his last Fiat Punto MJD 1.3 E+?

Somehow my finances are not in exactly the right state they should be with a house loan taking up a major chunk. Add to that, almost scrap like value of the current Punto and I couldn't even afford down payment right now and had to chuck the deal.

You'd call me even crazier if I told you that I managed to convince him for a discount of a little over 1.4 Lacs plus RSA plus extended warranty before backing out from the deal.

The dealer saw the light of the day and purchased the car for his own use.

So much for affordability, but whatever happens, I am buying a Punto or a Linea again as soon as my pockets allow or this one disintegrates whichever comes first!

No other company is coming close to these drive dynamics, looks and build for the next 10 years. I don't care what anyone says.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 11:59   #269
BHPian

Quote:
So much for affordability, but whatever happens, I am buying a Punto or a Linea again as soon as my pockets allow or this one disintegrates whichever comes first!

No other company is coming close to these drive dynamics, looks and build for the next 10 years. I don't care what anyone says.
BTW, Isn't your Punto a bit too young to disintegrate just like that? What do you think? How long more you can drive this one without compromising on the FTD? Has it reached a state at which maintenance has become a headache? If not, how long more do you think you can own it without much headache? How much have you clocked by now?

That reminds me of another question - do you think its wise to sell off a Punto before the extended warranty is over, even if it doesn't show many symptoms of ageing? Since my Punto is reaching 3 years and 50K, this is something that puzzles me.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:30   #270
BHPian

Mod Note : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post

BTW, Isn't your Punto a bit too young to disintegrate just like that? What do you think? How long more you can drive this one without compromising on the FTD? Has it reached a state at which maintenance has become a headache? If not, how long more do you think you can own it without much headache? How much have you clocked by now?

That reminds me of another question - do you think its wise to sell off a Punto before the extended warranty is over, even if it doesn't show many symptoms of ageing? Since my Punto is reaching 3 years and 50K, this is something that puzzles me.
Hi Devansn,
What matters about the age of the car is the odo reading and not the years. If i wanna keep it running all i need to do is give it to the service center guys and ask them to change everything they feel the need to change and i dont think it will go above 20k if they are too nitpicky about it.
The car will easily last the better part of 2.5 lacs without something major coming up and the services being regular.

However the body has started showing signs of age. Fungii of rust at some inaccessible places and wherever water gets trapped. A visit to the paintshop and a couple of days tinkering will solve that too.

The extended warranty is a scam nowadays with you having to pay upfront for the parts covered. The service center guys then send the parts through a claim procedure where the insurance company is also involved. If the insurance company pays up, you get a refund or so much for that and it is money well spent. Luckily my car ran out of all warranties before the cheeky guys could enforce this directive. So i dont think selling off the car would be much harm done.

The car crossed 168000 kilometers yesterday while coming back from a trip. Another thing that restores my faith in this car is that while coming back from the trip yesterday, i was a part of a pileup on the highway a couple of kilometers from home. I being the luckiest, was the last guy in the line and even though i crashed into the scorpio in front of me, all the car has to show for injuries is a bit of paint off the bumper and nothing else. The mighty muscular scorpio and the swift in front of the scorpio were not lucky enough with the scorpio sustaining both frontal and rear damage and the swift having lost the entire butt. So much for safety. While other cars advertise it on paper, the punto and the linea have proved it again and again that they are some of the safest cars around. I have a ding on the front right fender where an entire bus touched the car and i had written off the fender. When the bus driver had had his fill of fisticuffs and vitamin d and was sent packing to his masters, i examined the car and went crazy laughing my guts out. It was only a dent with not even the paint coming off. I never repaired it and i show it off to everybody as many times as i can.

Enough of bragging about the fiats.
You drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2014 at 16:34.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote