Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st June 2010, 01:50   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Awesome is the word, thanks for such detailed and high quality pictures. I might be wrong, but to my eyes, it seems that the internal as well as external fit and finish has improved by leaps and bounds. Externally, the finish is as good as any Japanese/German car (in terms of shutlines) and Tata have always had a very good paint finish.

Other than the slightly ill fitting panel below the steering (the one which houses the fog lam switch), the central consol et al have very good finish. Liked the door inserts. Agree about the bottle holder and the rear power window switches are awkward.

5.12 for this car is a steal. You did really well. Although, I am personally not such a big fan of beige, the attention to detail you've shown (painting the speakers etc.) makes it all worthwhile. Thnk about whether you should get floor mats of that colour too (I read that you were planning to do something about them).

Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Thanks buddy. Your eye for details is much appreciated. Excellent pictures which just show how much you love your car. Would be interesting to see the ICE setup you will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Even to me the fit and finish looks much much improved. I'm just considering the eCS as one of my options. Initially I planned to get a hatchback, but I'm seriously considering this as an option.

Must wait and see till our friend posts his FE figures.
Thanks for the kind words folks. I agree that Tata has been steadily improving their quality. Unfortunately for buyers, it seems that other manufacturers seem to be dropping their standards rather than raising them. None of the cars I'd TD'd (Beat, Figo, WagonR, Ritz) had a significantly better quality than Tata. For any significant increase in quality, you'd have to look at a higher segment. I'm hoping that Toyota will set the cat among the pigeons in this regard.

I agree that the plastics aren't well fitted. Lots of sharp edges if you take a closer look. But you have to ask yourself, when do you actually take such a close look? I know that the metal body of the car is much better made than that of other manufacturers. Try pressing down on the door or bonnet of a swift and then try the same on an Indica and you'll know what I mean.

That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. The switchgear for one thing could have a better feel. The combination stalks could be better. But I'm focusing on the fact that there are front/rear fog lamps, seperate beams for high/low beams, continous setting for intermittent wipe, power windows and defogger at this price. At least I have something to complain about. There would be no fog lamp swtches or defogger switches to complain about if I'd gone for say, the Swift LDi or the Figo EXi.

From the many Indica cabs I've driven in and a fairly recent trip I took in a rented car, a really old pre-V2 Indica DLX, told me that the plastics, flimsy as they looked, would hold on and that the engine was solid. That car had run close to 200K, looked crappy, but the only thing that went wrong was that I blew out a fuse with my mobile charger. This was not a pristinely maintained example by any standards!

I decided to document my car extensively on this thread because there weren't many threads with detailed pics. I had to figure out a lot of the stuff by myself. I'll try my best to keep up the quality and detail of the posts. As someone told me once, 'God is in the details.' I like to write, so it's not a problem to make detailed posts.

Painting the speaker grilles was something that was on my mind once I'd seen the beige interiors of the car. I'd intended originally to do them up in silver, but decided on beige because it was more unique. Glad to know that it's appreciated. It's not just this car. Every vehicle I own is unique in its own eccentric way. I have a tuned orange Pulsar (special edition) and our M800 has 165/60 Yokohama tyres on shiny black stock rims with a steel lip. A guy once overtook me, stopped in front and asked me where I had got the rims! And now this Indigo in a rare color. I love them all!

Floor mats are on the agenda. The dealership was the only place I found floor mats in beige though, and they were overpriced. My neighbour got his Dzire's floor covered in some kind of PVC material. It's a bit shiny for my taste, but it's easy to clean and keeps the carpet dry and clean. I'm trying you find the same or similar stuff in matte beige or brown. Another option is to cover it in the material used for vinyl flooring. It's tough and comparatively cheap. The guys who install it said they would cut it to exact size. Imagine having a car with an oak finish flooring?

I have to say that the rubber mats do their job very well. The dirt you see in the felt is because the PDI guys who put the mats in did it without removing the plastic covering from the carpet. As a result, the mats kept slipping on the covers and getting overturned, spilling dirt into the carpet. All cleaned up now though. The mats are channeled well and are easy to clean.

I had planned to put in a good ICE setup and had even picked out some tasty alloys and tyres. But we ended up having to switch financiers at the last minute, and didn't get as much financing as we'd hoped for (ex-showroom vs on-road). All the cash I had put away for accessories went into the down-payment instead. Alloys will have to wait for a couple more months. Currently, I have transplanted ICE from the M800. I had Pioneer 6X9s at the back and Sony Xplod 4 inchers at the front, with a recently added Vinverth DVD HU. It has 5.1 channel audio out, video out, and plays everything from audio CDs to WMA/AAC and DIVX/MP4. Vinverth isn't a big name brand but their products are feature-rich and reliable.

The 800 originally had a Pioneer cassette deck. I took everything from that car and put it into this. The 800 is back to cassette deck but that's ok since it still has FM. I've got new 4 inchers for the front and rear, and that's more than enough for such a small car. The 6X9s sound better on the Indigo, probably because it's mounted on the shelf and not in a box like in the 800.

@ joe1980: I figured out earlier that you were interested in the e-CS. I went for the TDi because of the budget, and because the TDi was a very reliable engine with good enough performance. I could have got the Vista Aura Quadrajet for a similar price, but decided on this one because it's a sedan and because it was better equipped. We've had an 800 for 12 years now. Only hit 100kph once or twice on that car. I usually drive very sedately and only hurry if I need to. I get all my thrills from my Pulsar, which I've modded with a free-flow filter and exhaust, bigger carb and jets, sticky low profile tyres etc. I enjoy driving, but the TDi is more than sufficient for me right now. Maybe once I get used to more power I can buy something more powerful for my personal use.

The Indigo CS e-Series is much improved over the regular CS. For the sheer amount of kit you get, the car is unbeatable. Even the base versions, eGLS and eLS, come with front PW and CL. Remote locking usually offered free by most dealers. The killer deal though is the top of the line eLX. You get powered ORVMs with LED turn signals, Bluetooth-enabled Clarion MP3 stereo and 4 speakers. All speakers are 4 inch clarion, but the sound quality is OK. The Bluetooth dongle has to be purchased separately as an accessory, but it has AUX in for ipods.

If your running is low and mostly in the city, I'd suggest the petrol eGLX. Comes fully loaded though it is a bit underpowered. If running is more, then the diesel eLX is excellent VFM, more so than my TDi. But I do suggest that you go to a showroom and take a test drive.

Personally speaking, I think that the e-series is the best looking Indigo yet. Love that grille, lights, and the indicators on ORVMs. I'm considering getting my grille painted in silver.

Fuel Efficiency: I haven't looked at the FE yet, because I feel its pointless to worry about it before first service. We're not doing tankfuls now, just putting in 500 rupees worth fuel when the needle gets low. One thing I like is that you get 12.8L of diesel for 500 bucks, whereas you get less than 10L on petrol. You feel less depressed after tanking up. I do think we're getting rather good mileage because the needle doesn't dip down that easily. I'll do some calculations and let you guys know some rough figures though.

Last edited by vivekgk : 21st June 2010 at 01:53.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 09:15   #32
BHPian

Very good fit and finish indeed. Though there is much to improve, it is nevertheless a good move by TATA to catch up with the competition. If the Indigo CS is improved with better build quality, it is a great way to compete with the modern hatches like Figo, Beat, etc.

Since TATA does not have to pay FIAT for the engines, they can use the money a bit more generously on the car and still keep the margins. Based on the success of the CS, TATA might even go for another round of upgrades for Vista and then Manza probably when it is time for its anniversary.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:49   #33
BHPian

Default First date with Tata Service

I went to the dealership today to check out the noise from rear suspension. As soon as I went into the service area, I was told to leave the keys in the car and go to the reception. The nice lady at the desk got me in touch with a service advisor (another Mr. Arun, there are a surplus of Aruns at Kulathunkal -both my sales and delivery guys were also called Arun) before I even got a chance to go through the newspaper on the table.

On the way to the car, I told him that I needed to add the AUX IN cable to the HU, which I'd forgotten to give them during installation. He snagged a guy from accessories (literally, he was pulled out of a Vista where he was putting in an HU) and this was done in five minutes, while I explained the suspension noise issue to him. They checked the boot and found that the jack handle was lying loosely outside of its slot. I got into the car with him and another service guy and went for the TD. Found some bad roads (easy in Trivandrum) and sure enough, there was clunking noise from the rear. He pulled over into a small ground and opened the boot. They checked the spare for looseness, pushed up and down on the rear, but there was no noise. Then they shut the boot and pushed down on that, and voila, clanking sound. The boot was making the noise!

We drove back to the dealership. I asked them not to go back through the same bad roads we came. I noticed that he was driving the car rather jerkily, with sudden bursts in second gear. He was checking whether the noise was there on acceleration as well. It was. Clearly, it wasn't just the boot.

On getting back to the dealership, I went to the sales area to see if there was any chance of getting a few pics of the e-Series for joe1980. No, the car hadn't arrived yet, but I did find that a new lot of TDi had arrived. One of them was in the showroom floor, it was yet another new color called Mica Red. Looked for my phone cam, but realised I'd forgotten it in the car.

So I went to the service area, was let in after explaining to the security that I wanted to retrieve my phone. Found the car up on the lift with four guys peering at the undercarriage. I joined them, and Arum told me that the exhaust was touching the bumper for some reason, which was now corrected. Thankfully, there was nothing wrong with the suspension. I could see that the underbody was well coated with black sticky looking stuff (Wurth treatment). They got the car down while I left to take this pic at the showroom (quality is quite bad, I promise better pics next time).

Name:  IndigoCSMicaRed.jpg
Views: 3566
Size:  119.5 KB

The color is almost the same as that of my M800 which I posted on the first page.

Overall, the problem resolution was quick and efficient. But not entirely perfect, as there were grease marks on the door and on the boot which was now clunk-free. Motoring is happy once again. See you soon!
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:39   #34
BHPian

Default Congrats Vivek!

Hearty congratulations for your CS. Sorry I missed out your message my CS ownership thread. Anyway now you have already got yours Enjoy the comfort. I am sure Tata would have improved in interior quality in last two years.

To one of your questions regarding extra money for metallic color. No I did not have to pay anything extra.

Recently I had gone for my car servicing at about 22K kms and the bill was about 10 thousand. Major part was oil change, as I went for synthetic oil. The car feels lighter and smoother to drive. There were issues with braking which was later diagnosed to brake oil cylinder leakage. This was replaced. Also, the rear wheel ball bearing had cut, that was also replaced. Apparently both the parts were not covered in extended warranty! Rest was wheel rotation and balancing.

After servicing I am getting a mileage of around 14kmpl in Bangalore with AC working about 70-75% of time. Need to check on highway.
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 14:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Buddy

I have been waiting for your thread, but, somehow missed it in the initial 3-4 days. Your car looks good & must congratulate your mother as well for the choice of the colour.

Eager to learn more about your car's performance. Best of luck
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 17:29   #36
BHPian

Hi Vivekgk, Congrtulations on your new car. The Indigo CS is a great choice.

I too am planning to get a car and have almost zeroed in on Tata Indigo eCS eLX or Tata Vista OJD. Have test driven the Vista, but could not get to drive the CS as it was not available at the dealership.

I was searching a lot for a detailed review of a CS and voila!, here it is. Great review. Would definitely help in choosing the right car for me.

Congrats again. Looking forward to some travelogue from you - especially for a Munnar in the monsoons. Happy mile crunching and enjoy.

Cheers!!
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 08:19   #37
BHPian

Default 500km update with FE figures

I have covered 550 kms as of today, and decided to do an update. No troubles so far after the ASC visit.

@ambujlal: Thanks for the info. Did you change the oil at 1000kms? Team-bhp recommends it, but Tata said they don't do it until 10K (3rd) service. I think I'll get the oil and the filter changed anyway. Maruti does it for their diesels.

I'm impressed with the Tatas' paint finish in both metallic and solid colors. The colors looks fantastic, especially after the 3m exterior finishing that they do for free. Seeing all the colors lined up for delivery at the showroom, I wanted one of each!

@CARDEEP and SankalpDesai: Thanks! I plan to update regularly.

I'm getting a lot of questions about the car and the color. People are very surprised to know the price and the features. Tata should advertise this car a lot better.

Performance is very satisfactory so far. The kick of the turbo is very addictive, and I find myself keeping it above 1800rpm most of the time just to feel it! Now that 500km has been passed, I'm taking it to 3000 rpm more often, and starting to take her upto 3500 on upshifts. The gearbox isn't the best and the action could be a lot better. Good brakes though. I also love the power steering which weights up at higher speeds. I wasn't aware that the car had speed-sensitive PS until I read an old Indigo review. It works very well.

One crib is with the horn button. It's a bit tough and requires a firm press. Also, it doesn't work if you press down at the lower ends of the T as shown. Though this wheel looks very cool, the earlier four-spoke one was better to use as it had a huge centre-pad.

Name:  indigohornbutton.jpg
Views: 4913
Size:  78.2 KB

Everything else is fine. The seat height is also a bit too low for me, and I'll have to have some extra padding added when doing the seat cover. Currently, I'm making do with a cushion, and it makes a huge difference to the visibility.

Fuel Efficiency: Since I haven't tanked up yet, I'm using the somewhat unreliable method of low-fuel indicator light coming on. I covered roughly 85 kms with 5.13L (300 Rs worth) of normal diesel, which gives an FE of 16.57 kpL with 100% AC. The driving was 60 kms on the highway (busy highway, 3rd and 4th gears, speeds from crawling to 90kph) and rest in city (crawling traffic to 60 kph). I also idle the engine for 30 sec before morning starts and stopping, and spent about 10 min with engine idling with AC on while waiting in a parking lot.

Overall, I think the FE is very good. I'm hoping it will improve after more services.

Last edited by vivekgk : 25th June 2010 at 08:21.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

@ambujlal: Thanks for the info. Did you change the oil at 1000kms? Team-bhp recommends it, but Tata said they don't do it until 10K (3rd) service. I think I'll get the oil and the filter changed anyway. Maruti does it for their diesels.

One crib is with the horn button. It's a bit tough and requires a firm press. Also, it doesn't work if you press down at the lower ends of the T as shown. Though this wheel looks very cool, the earlier four-spoke one was better to use as it had a huge centre-pad.

Yes I did get the engine oil changed at 1000kms servicing.

Strange issue with your car horn button. I never faced such an issue. It works if I press the horn button anywhere. May be you can get it checked during one of your visits to the service center.

~ambuj
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 03:25   #39
BHPian

Default 1000km service: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

Got the car back yesterday evening after the first service. Had the oil/filter changed (Rs. 1800) though the service guy strongly advised against it. I gave the car in at 1055km. Got it back with 4km more. Which is probably the test drive. Now for the ugly stuff.

Through some bad judgement on my part, I managed to get a small dent on the bootlid when I backed into a lamppost. I'd accommodated for the lamp post, but not the metal box bolted onto it. I was distressed and rushed to the dealership. They agreed to take the car in that day itself though their quota was full, because I didn't want to take my baby home like that! The bodyshop in-charge, Mr. Sreejith, was very cooperative and understanding. He assessed the damage at around 4.5K. If I claimed insurance, I'd get it back in 2 days, 5 days otherwise. Considering that the no-claim bonus was only 2K, I decided to claim it. The final bill for bodywork was Rs. 5510, of which I paid Rs. 500.

I also met with the service adviser, Mr. Sajeer. I had to wait a bit (30 min), because it was a busy day. He too, accompanied to the car and took down what needed to be done. There was a leak under the power steering fluid bottle, on the join to the tube. The right rear door was not closing as easily as the other three, and there was a large gap even when the door was closed. I didn't notice these earlier because I never use the back seat! There was also some small squeaks from the rear area, possibly the parcel tray, audible only when the stereo was off (again, only noticed by dad because yours truly never turns it off!)

We had to sign some papers for the insurance, and followed up every day. The car was serviced and sent to the bodyshop two days later, by which time assessment had been done. The work was completed on schedule, but I was told that the car couldn't be delivered on Saturday as promised, because they couldn't do the body wash. Since it was (and still is) raining, I asked him to give me a coupon for free body wash later. The paint and the underbody are protected anyway, so a couple more dirty days wouldn't make a difference. And I really needed the car.

So I was waiting at the reception while my car was being wiped down. The body-shop is located above the main workshop floor. I was amazed, because the workshop is a good 30 feet high building. Sure enough, I saw my car coming down on a huge scissor-lift. I wish there was some way I could get in there and take some pics.

I looked over the car. The door gap had been corrected, but the door still needed more effort to shut. I have to comment on the paint job though. It is excellent. Mr. Sreejith told me that they use electronic levelling, using some sort of glue and suction to pull the panel back into shape. Whatever they do, the work is excellent and spotless. I was a bit apprehensive after reading about the bad paint job on greenhorn's Indica, but not anymore. Full marks!

I'm satisfied with the bodywork and painting, but not with the regular service, which left specifically mentioned issues unresolved. I think I'll try Focuz (very near my house) or Mohandas Motors (free pickup and drop-off) for the next service, unless they manage to impress me during the bodywash.

Now for the good part. Being temporarily parted from my car prematurely meant that I had to suddenly go back to our old 800. The first thing I noticed - the heavy steering, second was the bad gearshift, and the third - This thing has no brakes!!!! Well, almost. But the 800 is in its element in city traffic, where I could confidently squeeze through gaps which I'd have passed up in the Indigo. This is probably due to my lack of experience, as taxi drivers dart into those spots with wild abandon with their Indica/gos. I also missed the way I didn't have to rev the engine so much to overtake in the Tata.

I also noted ruefully that even with twin beams, the Tata's stock headlights are no match for the 100/90 BlueVision on the 800. Does anyone know if DiamondVision is available in H7 and H1?

The erstwhile leak in the power steering is probably due to me being inexperienced and banging it to full lock. I learned that you're not supposed to do that. And there is a sticker on the door pillar that advises idling the engine for a minute while starting and stopping. I usually idle about 30 secs or less, because I have to idle the car when I stop to open the gate, and never raise it too much after that.

Will update soon after getting the pending issues sorted when I take it for body-wash.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Had the oil/filter changed (Rs. 1800) though the service guy strongly advised against it. I
There was no need to change those filters? But can you give the split up of the bill, please?

Any updates about the fuel efficiency?
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 13:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

I assume you got your bodywork done at the bypass shop. Its a bit better there - everything, compared to the kuravankonam shop. even in my case, i was told that the guy who did my paintjob was fired. Do make sure that all the plastic and rubber bits are still present.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 20:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

There was no need to change those filters? But can you give the split up of the bill, please?

Any updates about the fuel efficiency?
The service advisor, Sajeer, told me that Tata doesn't recommend an oil/filter change until 10000 kms (3rd service). He said 'Yes, MSIL does it, but Tata engines are built differently'. It cost 1800. No break-up was given, and since I was a bit upset from the unexpected dent, I didn't press them for more. But I think that 4L oil is about 1600 @ 400 per liter and oil filter is 200. Had I been in a better state of mind, I'd likely have inquired about the brand of oil, and asked for the used filter back. I'm planning on changing it at the 5K service as well.

Fuel Efficiency as calculated from the low fuel-low fuel method is roughly 15-17 kpl. I get different figures each time. I'll do a tankfull-tankfull test once I get it back after bodywash. The low fuel indicator method is inaccurate. Make note that even if my driving is 80% on the highway, it's a busy road, and I've never had a chance to get it higher than 4th gear. Most of the time the car is in third, as I'm trying not to lug the engine below 1500 rpm.

What is important for me is that I'm spending noticeably less on fuel than I did with the 800. We're definitely using this car a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I assume you got your bodywork done at the bypass shop. Its a bit better there - everything, compared to the kuravankonam shop. even in my case, i was told that the guy who did my paintjob was fired. Do make sure that all the plastic and rubber bits are still present.
Yes, I had everything done at the Bypass shop as it's closer. It's much better, and I've been told that it is one of the largest ASCs in South India. I believe them, it's huge. Quality of bodywork is excellent from outside. But, I did find rough spots on the inside of the panel on feel-up inspection, and a bit of exposed steel on the lower edge of the bootlid, not visible from outside. Planning to get those sorted tomorrow when I take it in for bodywash.

Last edited by vivekgk : 26th July 2010 at 21:10.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:47   #43
BHPian

vivekgk - is it really necessary to change oil/etc before the 10000kms service?
i remember going thru a heated discussion on this in the manza thread, with lots of people saying its totally unncessary.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 12:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Everything else is fine. The seat height is also a bit too low for me, and I'll have to have some extra padding added when doing the seat cover. Currently, I'm making do with a cushion, and it makes a huge difference to the visibility.
I am facing the same with Vista QJD.For Me ,The Horn was Fine Earlier.But ,after they Did some work removing Steering ,I have to insert more pressure for the Bottom End(of the 'T') to Horn. I am looking for a Solution as well.The SA's Reasoning is ,It is due to "ageing"!.
Quote:
Also, it doesn't work if you press down at the lower ends of the T as shown
It should Work.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 12:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

I took apart the horn pad ( the top plate of the steering - the T shaped bit) ( DIY only if you have no airbags). there were essentially 4 contacts. Cleaned them, stretched them a bit, and sprayed some WD 40.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote