Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2011, 15:51   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Is this something different than the cylinder replacement that was announced long time back?
AFAIK This is the same part you mentioned.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
AFAIK This is the same part you mentioned.
Then I guess, instead of blaming FIAT, you should have changed it long time back. I wonder if you knew about this why did you wait for it to fail on you?
Old 14th April 2011, 17:22   #138
Team-BHP Support

^^ If Fiat is replacing the defective part in all the cars, isn't it the Dealer's responsibility to offer to change the part or even tell me about it. How am i expected to know there is sub standard defective part in my car. Since i do not drive the car these days, i do not go through each and every Punto thread.

Now when they have identified the part as defective and prone to failure, why not accept the fault and recall the cars formally, it's better than making the existing tiny customer base suffer. When Maruti can recall cars, Why cannot Fiat?
Old 14th April 2011, 22:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now when they have identified the part as defective and prone to failure, why not accept the fault and recall the cars formally, it's better than making the existing tiny customer base suffer. When Maruti can recall cars, Why cannot Fiat?
That's because they are Fiat. Fiat has probably one of the worst after sales service barring Skoda. And they are also aware of it. I believe they think. announcing a recall will highly question their reliability.

Why do Fiat and tata have low reliability? This is what a Maruti engineer told me. " The famous 1.3L diesel engine of Fiat that powers almost all the hatchbacks in this generation (Swift/Ritz/SX4/Indica/Manza/Punto/Linea) was initially imported. But Fiat and Tata localised some parts with some Indian Vendors. Maruti started moving in those lines as well but then found out the quality of the parts supplied by some of these vendors were below par. So while Maruti rejected these vendors Fiat and Tata are happy procuring parts from them. So the reliability issue is inevitable."
Old 14th April 2011, 22:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
That's because they are Fiat. Fiat has probably one of the worst after sales service barring Skoda. And they are also aware of it. I believe they think. announcing a recall will highly question their reliability.

Why do Fiat and tata have low reliability? This is what a Maruti engineer told me. " The famous 1.3L diesel engine of Fiat that powers almost all the hatchbacks in this generation (Swift/Ritz/SX4/Indica/Manza/Punto/Linea) was initially imported. But Fiat and Tata localised some parts with some Indian Vendors. Maruti started moving in those lines as well but then found out the quality of the parts supplied by some of these vendors were below par. So while Maruti rejected these vendors Fiat and Tata are happy procuring parts from them. So the reliability issue is inevitable."
I am sorry but we haven't had any reports of any engine related problems with 1.3 MJD either in Indica Quadrajet or Punto but we do have threads on tbhp with people having problems with 1.3 DDiS so what gives? But then its a Maruti engineer so that gives.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:37   #141
BHPian

Quote:
^^ If Fiat is replacing the defective part in all the cars, isn't it the Dealer's responsibility to offer to change the part or even tell me about it. How am i expected to know there is sub standard defective part in my car. Since i do not drive the car these days, i do not go through each and every Punto thread.

not sure about your dealer/city but i know for sure in pune , Bangalore cars were recalled and the part was changed .

edit chennai as well

Last edited by ms001 : 14th April 2011 at 22:55.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:41   #142
BANNED

My sister's Palio MJD had serious issues with Clutch. FIAT called her promptly and got the whole clutch assembly replaced FOC.

Cousin's Punto's clutch cylinder too was changed as Dealer insisted.

I guess all this happens only In Bangalore. Lucky we.

@Anshuman: I know FIAT should have called up North guys too, but as you were aware of it, you should have got it replaced.

AFAIK, new FIATs have issues only clutch cylinder and NO other part. So just one part replacement, if one is aware of it, then he should get it repaired without waiting for the call.

P.S: After doing extensive research I bought the JET. Another JET aka 1.6 MJD will be added soon. It might not be a kewl journey, but a worthy one.

Last edited by EARTHed : 14th April 2011 at 22:42.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, as far I remember, FIAT has given a list of cars having this problem and the dealers were informed to change the part in the 1st/2nd service. I agree that FIAT could have put it into paper but then, that would have backfired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Could you please give us a source of info where the FIAT/TATA car has Engine issues??? On the contrary, Maruti has recalled due to some piston problems (I am not sure if its 1.3 MJD or other engine). Every company localize parts and its not wrong thing to do, rather its helping economy, neither you nor me would be able to prove the engine part is sub standard or not though
Old 15th April 2011, 11:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
On the contrary, Maruti has recalled due to some piston problems (I am not sure if its 1.3 MJD or other engine). Every company localize parts and its not wrong thing to do, rather its helping economy, neither you nor me would be able to prove the engine part is sub standard or not though
Get your facts right!

Maruti recalled few 1.3 DDiS engines manufactured within a specific time frame for defective connecting rod bolts and not pistons.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:27   #145
Team-BHP Support

@neoonwheels: This might be an interesting article related to what we are discussing here. : Maruti recall to impact Tata, Fiat? | Autocar India

Even if the part is found to be defective, i do not think they will recall the cars like Maruti did.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:59   #146
BHPian

anshuman i don't know , what makes you say FIAT would not recall even if there is as issue

this may be of interest to you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...e-problem.html

and as i told earlier even in case of CSC , recall was made by FIAT india through dealers throughout India

you might want to take up the issue with your dealer as to why your car was not called.

Last edited by ms001 : 15th April 2011 at 14:02.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:07   #147
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Even if the part is found to be defective, i do not think they will recall the cars like Maruti did.
I received sms from FIAT India requesting me to contact the nearest Tata-FIAT authorised service centre/dealership for AC upgradation FOC under warranty. Later, I got it done.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:45   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Get your facts right!

Maruti recalled few 1.3 DDiS engines manufactured within a specific time frame for defective connecting rod bolts and not pistons.
Thanks for your valuable input. so connecting rod bolts it is.

Quote:
@neoonwheels: This might be an interesting article related to what we are discussing here. : Maruti recall to impact Tata, Fiat? | Autocar India

As I said, the dealers were informed. Its your dealer who should be blamed. Yeh, unfortunately FIAT has such pathetic dealers with them. You cant help it apart from not going for FIAT again. In my 1.1 year ownership and 11500km, I have not visited the dealer apart from regular service and I also own 1.3 MJD Emotion pack Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I received sms from FIAT India requesting me to contact the nearest Tata-FIAT authorised service centre/dealership for AC upgradation FOC under warranty. Later, I got it done.
That's a good thing to learn. So they are doing something proactively as well. Unfortunately such positives never come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
anshuman i don't know , what makes you say FIAT would not recall even if there is as issue this may be of interest to you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...e-problem.html

and as i told earlier even in case of CSC , recall was made by FIAT india through dealers throughout India

you might want to take up the issue with your dealer as to why your car was not called.
I guess he is fed up of FIAT and all things FIAT. I remember him saying he tried passing on feedback earlier but all in vain.
Old 12th May 2011, 10:13   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicenter.rulez View Post
good review there anshu 22g
one thing i'd like to suggest if i am not intruding is just shifting over to yellow lights for the monsoons. with hids running without projectors, it doesnt make a lot of sense when you cannot see the depth of the water at twilights and high speed driving at night.
osram makes a good set of bulbs rated at 100/80 and called "All Weather Prismatics"
i am using the same on my punto and the driving experience during rains is simply amazing. while a lot of cars around are trying to find their way on the road, the car just whizzes past them with a nice yellow purple tinted beam on the road.
the spread of the bulbs coupled to the foggies placed at just the right spot on the bumper is quite decent and you'll be amazed to see the prismatics pierce the darkness on empty stretches.
my car just crossed 26000 and is up for a tire change.
drive safe
My punto too has clocked 34000 kms and the tires seem to be quite worn out ,I mean are you upgrading your tires ? Or it needs a tire change

Quote:
It was the plastic clutch cylinder which had broken down. It has now been replaced with a metal one. The ASC staff said it was a known issue and said they are changing this on all the cars. The previous ASCs where the car went for service should have changed the part earlier.

So the car broke down on the road second time in recent months, only because of negligence of the ASC. I am not interested to pursue the matter with Fiat India as i already know how things work with them. God save Tata-Fiat, mark my words here, this is the last Tata-Fiat car in my family.

@Fiat Punto owners: Please get your cars inspected to check whether your car has this defective plastic clutch cylinder, if Yes, get it replaced ASAP.
its really shocking to know the ordeal you went through ,I too own may 2010 fiat punto mjd and crossed 34000 kms on it .After sales service,much less we talk about the better for our mind and mood.I would go for checking the plastic clutch cylinder check up asap.
wish you trouble free ownerhip herefrom.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th May 2011 at 10:28. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 10:27   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
My punto too has clocked 34000 kms and the tires seem to be quite worn out ,I mean are you upgrading your tires ? Or it needs a tire change
My Car's tires are on the last stage. Either i'll be upgrading them or i'll my move the stock tires from my Laura to Punto and get better rubber for Laura.

I feel 195 section is adequate for the kind of performance Punto offers. With the OE Goodyear GT3 tires i never felt the need for any more grip(even though these are poor tires). A pair of Yokohamas/Michelins in 195/60R15 are just perfect for Punto.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread