Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2011, 22:59   #166
BHPian

Default re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

Irish, you wouldn't find another hatch with better better Highway manners. I don't think even our Innova comes close.
Old 28th June 2011, 23:39   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Again this is hugely exaggerated. I have 5 friends who own a Punto and not one of them has even faced a problem with spares, regular or accidental. Mind you two of the car have gone for accidental repairs and on one car the left hand side stalk was changed under warranty in 2 hours flat and that is without prior appointment!
Do you mean to say i am lying here? The Drive experience can be different to different people but when i say the parts i ordered did take long time, they really took long time and some of them never really arrived, add to that the painful process of dealing with the sub standard dealers.

Please feel free to drop in here to verify the truth in my statements here, i offer to pay for all the travel expenses and my car will be all yours if you prove that the waiting period for parts i have mentioned here is hugely exaggerated.

I Praise the car where it deserves but my ownership of this car does not mean i should turn a blind eye to any issue i face with the ownership.

Quote:
Add weight to the list. I also have to mention that Punto is definitely more driveable in the city compared to Swift which is like a 0 or 1. Try this with a Punto, put it in fourth gear and let go of the accelerator pedal and let the speed drop. Even at 30 kmph or so in fourth with 4 people in the car and A/C running, there wasn't even a murmur, knocking or protest from the engine. Try that with a Swift and let us know.
How is that the European Punto with the same weight does 0-100 in around the similar time as the Swift D? It has the same power and torque output and probably the same state of tune. Wonders done by the local tuning division at Fiat India.

Why do you think the Punto 90hp does not feel as fast as it should? If you blame it on weight, SX4 Diesel is might be heavier than Punto 90hp but it still is faster. Why is it that weaker cars like Figo are faster than Punto 75? Flawed Gear ratios, talking about driveability, no car does it better than Figo.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th June 2011 at 23:47.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 05:42   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Do you mean to say i am lying here? The Drive experience can be different to different people but when i say the parts i ordered did take long time, they really took long time and some of them never really arrived, add to that the painful process of dealing with the sub standard dealers.
Did my post implied that you were lying. I said you are exaggerating.

Quote:
Please feel free to drop in here to verify the truth in my statements here, i offer to pay for all the travel expenses and my car will be all yours if you prove that the waiting period for parts i have mentioned here is hugely exaggerated.
No need we trust you but you have to understand that this might not be the case with everyone. Your post makes one think that this is a problem Punto ownership which is not correct. Can you see where I am coming from? I have more than 5 Punto's in my group and 2 of them are first time Fiat owners and none of them have complained of service. They did say that the diesel filer is very expensive.

Quote:
How is that the European Punto with the same weight does 0-100 in around the similar time as the Swift D? It has the same power and torque output and probably the same state of tune. Wonders done by the local tuning division at Fiat India.
I wonder how many times have you timed your car from 0-100 kph. I timed my friend's Punto 90 HP from 0-100 and it came around to be 15 seconds with the following
1. Two people in the car with A/C running
2. 205 section tyres.
3. We were accelerating going up the flyover for almost half the distance.

Quote:
Why do you think the Punto 90hp does not feel as fast as it should? If you blame it on weight, SX4 Diesel is might be heavier than Punto 90hp but it still is faster. Why is it that weaker cars like Figo are faster than Punto 75? Flawed Gear ratios, talking about driveability, no car does it better than Figo.
Figo has the least turbo lag but when I talk about driveability I mean leaving you car in a higher gear at low speeds with the engine not complaining and I think my definition is right. Try what I suggested in my earlier post with any other hatchback (i dont know about i20) and post it here.

Let me see if I can make a video of the timed run for the Punto 90 HP. Will post it here for once and for good.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th June 2011 at 09:18. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
akhilesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 07:59   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder how many times have you timed your car from 0-100 kph. I timed my friend's Punto 90 HP from 0-100 and it came around to be 15 seconds with the following
Thats the point. Its too slow because of the gear ratios. It should be around 12-12.5 seconds.
Old 29th June 2011, 08:04   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats the point. Its too slow because of the gear ratios. It should be around 12-12.5 seconds.
Ideally the run should have been on stock tyres, just the driver, without A/C and on a level road which was not the case. If you factor in the conditions in which it did 15 seconds, I would say its still pretty decent.
I am also pretty sure Punto 90 HP can shave off atleast a couple of seconds from the 15 seconds that we timed. Let me see if I can do a timed run again but we would need an empty road with little or no traffic. Will post the video here.

Last edited by akhilesh : 29th June 2011 at 08:06.
Old 29th June 2011, 08:19   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ideally the run should have been on stock tyres, just the driver, without A/C and on a level road which was not the case. If you factor in the conditions in which it did 15 seconds, I would say its still pretty decent.
I think the inclined road would have made a bigger difference than 205s or the AC. But why don't you try it without them and see how much quicker it is?

I still don't think it will go below 14.
Old 29th June 2011, 08:24   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think the inclined road would have made a bigger difference than 205s or the AC. But why don't you try it without them and see how much quicker it is?

I still don't think it will go below 14.
Yes the inclination while going the fly over made a difference and the A/C too especially from the standing start. I am pretty sure 13.xx will be manageable in which case we cannot call it slow by any means. Another mistake he made was that he shifted to 4th a little early.

Last edited by akhilesh : 29th June 2011 at 08:26.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:22   #173
Senior - BHPian

I really dont think you will get in anywhere below the 14.5sec mark. The Punto, even its 90hp version is not a fast car a all. 3 main reasons, its comparatively heavy, it has short gearing and the turbo is very late to kick in. Thus to really get performance out of it, engine has to be kept over 2500rpm on the diesel versions. Petrol versions also face a similar problem, their power and torque is up in the higher reaches, thus it can only be reached when pushed hard.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I really dont think you will get in anywhere below the 14.5sec mark. The Punto, even its 90hp version is not a fast car a all. 3 main reasons, its comparatively heavy, it has short gearing and the turbo is very late to kick in. Thus to really get performance out of it, engine has to be kept over 2500rpm on the diesel versions. Petrol versions also face a similar problem, their power and torque is up in the higher reaches, thus it can only be reached when pushed hard.
You mean to say minus incline, minus A/C, minus one passenger would increase the timing by only .5 seconds. I am more optimistic.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:35   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope you aren't timing your runs with a stop-watch. Not a reliable way to know any timings via that.

We have to admit that TASS does have some flaws and the news (that Fiat-Tata might part) which is doing rounds isn't a very good one for prospective & current customers.

The spares issue has been discussed and why is it discussed? Availability.

In the current crop of Cars under 7.5L, hatch back or not, few Cars would rival the driving experience of a GP, but there are issues which makes people avoid it, exaggerated or not.

Anshuman's ownership threads are usually the most detailed ones with all pros & cons listed, kudos for that.

Wishing Anshuman miles of happiness.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th June 2011 at 09:49.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:41   #176
Senior - BHPian

Yes, in fact I think you will find it pretty tough to bring it down even to 14.5 secs. The AC is almost a non-factor as most modern ECUs recognise that when you put your foot down that hard, that you really need to get moving, and thus cut off the compressor and allow the power to put on the road.

About losing one passenger, that is about 60-70kg weight reduction. The Punto Active is about 60kgs lighter than the Punto EP, do you think it makes a 0.2-0.3 second difference in 0-100times between variants?? At best this will gain you 0.1 of a second.

The only real difference that will happen is due to the incline. But I dont think its is worth half a second.

But I dont think customers need to worry about FIAT and Tata parting ways. I think this is just a exaggerated reaction to Mr. Tata's statements. Recently Mr. Tata has been pretty outspoken about a lot of things, something which people are not used to. Thus I think people tend to read too much into any statement he is making. Just because Mr. Tata thinks that things havent been the best, and require improvement, doesnt mean that the partnership will break. Remember, the FIAT-Tata relationship goes to the extent of Mr.Tata being the only non-European on the FIAT international board of directors.

Last edited by julupani : 29th June 2011 at 09:47.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:52   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Yes, in fact I think you will find it pretty tough to bring it down even to 14.5 secs. The AC is almost a non-factor as most modern ECUs recognise that when you put your foot down that hard, that you really need to get moving, and thus cut off the compressor and allow the power to put on the road.
Actually the A/C saps power initially when you start from rest. On the move a car will rarely let you feel the power sap caused by an A/C.
On second thoughts there will n number of reason which could effect performance and its even dependent on the quality of fuel. So if in real life I can get it to go from 0-100 in around 13.xx seconds, I will be pretty happy. Let me see when can I find out the time to do a timed test.

The time got inspite of all the factors listed above is still 1.5 seconds quicker than what Autocarindia states in their review. Its because of the magazine reviews that we all tend to shun and call the Punto slow.

http://www.autocarindia.com/firstdri...nde-punto-90hp

Last edited by akhilesh : 29th June 2011 at 09:57.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:55   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I hope you aren't timing your runs with a stop-watch. Not a reliable way to know any timings via that.
Offcourse how else do you think I am doing it? I am not a professional tester neither do I work for any magazine. But all said, in a video its easy to make out the exact time since you can see the timed progress of the video and also see when the speedo start to climb and reaches 100 kph.

Also can I request tbhp mods to do timed acceleration test for every car review that they do. That will help us gauge the performance better.
akhilesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 11:32   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. Two people in the car with A/C running
2. 205 section tyres.
3. We were accelerating going up the flyover for almost half the distance.
What equipment did you use to check these performance figures? An Android application displayed 0-100 in 8.XX secs for my Laura, with GPS locked and Accelerometer in action, Do i trust it? No, Should i start bashing Mercs and Bimmers calling them slower? Absolutely not

And you got 0-100 in 15secs going up a flyover

Quote:
Figo has the least turbo lag but when I talk about driveability I mean leaving you car in a higher gear at low speeds with the engine not complaining and I think my definition is right. Try what I suggested in my earlier post with any other hatchback (i dont know about i20) and post it here.
You cannot lug the i20 in a gear as higher as Punto because it has much taller gearing, Punto still has better driveability than Swift but Figo is way better for real world usage(Zero Lag + Spot on gearing).

Quote:
Let me see if I can make a video of the timed run for the Punto 90 HP. Will post it here for once and for good.
What when someone posts a Video of a Swift's speedo? It still will be some seconds faster.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th June 2011 at 17:35. Reason: Mass Cleanup of thread: Oftopic content removed. Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 11:39   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Let's admit Punto still is the slowest Diesel in premium Hatchback in the segment. The performance is best called mediocre, your checking and achieving a 0-100 in xyz will not make it faster.
No that title will go to the Polo diesel. That apart do you still want to quote magazine figures when you say Punto is the slowest? Don't we know how reliable or trustworthy they are?
And pardon me for saying this but if Swift's 13.xx seconds is considered fast, how can Punto which achieves performance around the same ballpark and offers better driveability can be called slow or medicore?
The performance is much better than what all magazine claims? For the benefit of all of us would it be possible for you to post a video of your Punto? That will also give us an idea as to how fast the 90 hp really is.
Closed Thread