Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 30th June 2011, 15:01   #196
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

I forgot to mention- My car just completed 2 years yesterday. I got Insurance renewed a day earlier. Here is a fresh pic i clicked yesterday.

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_4590-large.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 18:51   #197
BHPian

Default re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I forgot to mention- My car just completed 2 years yesterday. I got Insurance renewed a day earlier. Here is a fresh pic i clicked yesterday.

Attachment 569706
Looks good Anshuman. Can you please post the insurance details if possible?
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 20:04   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Looks good Anshuman. Can you please post the insurance details if possible?
Paid 10k Rounded for Reliance Insurance, got 25% as NCB. Switched from IFFCO-Tokio. Could not negotiate much as i did not have much time left to lapse and i was not in Gurgaon. Last year i paid 10,500, the difference is not much because i was able to negotiate very good discount last year.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th June 2011 at 20:05.
Old 1st July 2011, 02:12   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Paid 10k Rounded for Reliance Insurance, got 25% as NCB. Switched from IFFCO-Tokio. Could not negotiate much as i did not have much time left to lapse and i was not in Gurgaon. Last year i paid 10,500, the difference is not much because i was able to negotiate very good discount last year.
I also renewed insurance a couple of days ago. Mine completes 2 years today; running at just over 39k. I got a premium of 11,500/- from Iffco-Tokio (no NCB) so I think you could have haggled for a bit more but for the paucity of time. What IDV did you get? Mine is 480,760/- which I think is a tad high but there was no option to go below this while renewing online on their website. And going through the agent/branch office wasn't getting me the 40% discount on OD premium.

BTW, what made you shift from Iffco-Tokio? Any issues faced?
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 12:13   #200
BHPian

I went for Royal Sundaram.
Last year, they put my IDV as 4.92 and this year it was 4.52 lacs. I wasnt happy with the IDV and hiked it up by 15%.
My current IDV after 2 years is 5.25 lacs. Over that I went for 100% coverage and zero depriciation option . This pushed my premium to 19k. Yes, its high. But I have full peace of mind. Dont like my baby to be underinsured. Now i can claim for plastic and glass damage as well and dont have to pay a penny from my pocket.

Ps. : Like a clockwork, I have an accident every year in the month of October which results in a nice claim.
First year, a Scorpio slammed its brakes in the middle of a turn. My baby went into the Scorp.
Second year: even more hilarious: A autowallah wanted to escape from the cops. tried to jump over a divider. Lost control and tilted on one wheel. Would have tipped to the side if it wasnt for my car. He happy reclined on my baby. Another set of claims.
So, this year, i'm doubly careful.
Come october, I drive my wife's car
aqualeo2040 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:12   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
What IDV did you get? Mine is 480,760/- which I think is a tad high but there was no option to go below this while renewing online on their website.
My IDV in the insurance cover note is 4,70,000. Is it too high? I think they have a fixed depreciation chart for all cars.

Quote:
BTW, what made you shift from Iffco-Tokio? Any issues faced?
I did not have any issues with IFFCO-Tokio, frankly speaking i did not get to deal with them at all as i got the insurance from an agent and i did file any claim. The agent this time offered cheaper price for Reliance so switched over.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:34   #202
BHPian

Quote:
My IDV in the insurance cover note is 4,70,000. Is it too high? I think they have a fixed depreciation chart for all cars.
I'm not sure man. I got a range of IDV's when I was scouting for the insurance, between 4.2 and 4.8 lakhs. If you take the depreciation from the ex-showroom price which was in place when we bought our cars in June 2009 (which was 6.11 lakhs in Delhi), the depreciation comes to approx 22% for an IDV of 4.8 lakhs and approx 24% for an IDV of 4.7 lakhs. I've been hearing that the vehicle value should depreciate at least 10% year on year, but no definitive view. Maybe insurance gurus can shed light on this.

Quote:
I did not have any issues with IFFCO-Tokio, frankly speaking i did not get to deal with them at all as i got the insurance from an agent and i did file any claim. The agent this time offered cheaper price for Reliance so switched over.
Thanks for clarifying. I think you could have got a premium in the range of 8.5-9k if you continued with Iffco-Tokio. But this would have been possible if you went through the direct online channel rather than the agent/branch. The direct channel discount is 40% while the agent/branch could only offer a max of 35% in my case.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 2nd July 2011 at 12:46. Reason: typo
Old 6th September 2011, 17:47   #203
BHPian

Anshuman.
Where would you rate your car after completing 40k KM in terms of reliablity and durability. I am planning to buy a second hand 2009 Model Punto Emotion 1.3 which has clocked 39k KM for 4.5 Lakhs and I like to know if the deal is worth spending such amount?
Old 6th September 2011, 18:46   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Anshuman.
Where would you rate your car after completing 40k KM in terms of reliablity and durability. I am planning to buy a second hand 2009 Model Punto Emotion 1.3 which has clocked 39k KM for 4.5 Lakhs and I like to know if the deal is worth spending such amount?
I have had 2 breakdowns in my car, first one was due to workshop negligence and the other one was because Fiat never bothered to recall my car(though they never forget to annoy with those useless feedback calls which end up in trashcans). If it were not the poor Tata Dealerships and Fiat's annoying attitude(where you need to know someone to get the issues resolved) i would have wholeheartedly recommended this car to you.

As a product, Punto is an excellent car. Buy it with your eyes closed if can you live with Tata dealers and poor spares availability. Only because of the this car's strengths like the Ride, Handling, Steering, looks and solid build is why i am still holding this car despite poor ownership experience.

At 40k my car is as good as new, i drove my friend's Vista last weekend which he bought last year and has done around 28k. In comparison to my Punto that Vista feels at 3X older.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 05:59   #205
BHPian

I agree with Anshuman here. Besides the service ( I'm actually quite happy with Malik Cars here in Hyd ), the car really ages well. My car has clocked 42000 KM and it's as good as new. For a self driving person, I would definitely recommend this car. However, i would rather go for the Emotion Pack though.
Old 7th September 2011, 08:06   #206
BHPian

There is no denying that car is superb in handling and ride ,my car has clocked 40000kms in one year two months ,its still feel like new .Now regarding the Tata dealership and after sales one is quite disappointed.
I would still recommend any one that go for fiat ,though there service is not at par with maruti ,but one thing is sure they do honour warranty -in my case they have changed one shock absorber ,a pair of suspension struts and one rear light assembly all free of cost .
I promise its more smile per car .
Old 7th September 2011, 10:37   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Anshuman.
Anonymous, I am another satisfied Punto owner at 22000kms and 2 years of ownership. As everybody pointed out, the car is built like a tank and it ages slowly I guess. I did not find any degradation in drive quality even after 2 years. With regard to service, most people in Bangalore did not have much of problem and regular service is not an issue at all.

The only times I got stuck was when my reverse light was damaged by a Hyundai accent banging me from behind and when my fuel lid was broken when a pertol bunk attendant broke it. Both cases spares was not available readily at the service center and I had to wait for atleast 2 months before it was replaced. In my case the car was still drivable even with broken parts and hence I just lived with it. But in case any critical part fails and you cannot drive the car until that part is replaced, then I am sure it is going to be a problem. This is where FIAT fails miserably.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 13:00   #208
BHPian

Thanks Anshuman and Gopi.
I did some online research of Mahindra first choice and feedback is not very promising.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-automart.html (How is Mahindra Firstchoice? (formerly automart))

So I really not sure if I should check out the car in personal or just drop this idea and look out for something similar in local market.
Old 7th September 2011, 13:08   #209
Team-BHP Support

My own observation on Mahindra Firstchoice: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-trusted.html (Poll - Can Branded Pre-Owned Car dealerships be trusted?)
Old 7th September 2011, 14:33   #210
BHPian

Quote:
As a product, Punto is an excellent car. Buy it with your eyes closed if can you live with Tata dealers and poor spares availability. Only because of the this car's strengths like the Ride, Handling, Steering, looks and solid build is why i am still holding this car despite poor ownership experience.

Your statement is indeed assuring for prospective buyers, a lot has been spoken about the quality of interiors, uneven panel gaps, how are they holding up after 2 years of running?
Closed Thread