Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 18th October 2012, 21:19   #226
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

Anshuman, i have a query for you. I know that this is not a straight forward question but, yes it might clear some clouds in many minds.

Do you really feel that Fiat Punto can run for a 1.5 or 2L kms with out an engine overhaul?

Just asking this question because its a 1248 CC Multijet diesel and the weight of the car is greater than a Ton + The gears selection is poor incase of punto + FIat uses Aluminum blocks for this engine.

WIth all of the above points, i feel that the quality of the engine is compromised. i believe that, Punto 2012 shouldn't be a product from Fiat stable. if it is, then it must come with a 1400 or 1600 CC Mjd engine.

The other implementations of this engine are at least 200 KG's light. Etios hardly weighs a Ton but uses a 1.4 ND TV engine. Dci is a 1500 CC. Ford gives a 1.4 Duratorq.

The least powerful on paper is MJD and the heaviest chasis is from FIAT Punto and of course with 195 section tyres too.

I would be very happy, if someone could prove me wrong. As a fiat Enthusiast, i feel that this product cant survive in the long run.
I am about to upgrade my car and i want to buy a fiat, but somehow i feel that the version on Punto/Linea cant take the beating of carrying the heavy body.

I know that it has a VGT. but Adding a VGT doesnt make a donkey run like a horse right? (daru peene se ghada thodi hi ghoda jaisa daud payega?) i know this is a stupid example but... just wanted to convey what i mean..

This is just my opinion.
Old 18th October 2012, 22:05   #227
BHPian

Hi Anshuman
Your car still looks stunning in red.
Did your car go for a timing belt change this time.
I have heard from fiat sources that they are changing timing belts of Multijet VGT 90hp engines at 60 k service because of some flaw in the chain. Do you have any news in this regard?
Old 18th October 2012, 22:19   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Anshuman, i have a query for you. I know that this is not a straight forward question but, yes it might clear some clouds in many minds.

Do you really feel that Fiat Punto can run for a 1.5 or 2L kms with out an engine overhaul?
Since it runs on better quality engine oil i can only guess this engine is good for the mileage you asked for. To give you a clear idea, i don't know, How can i predict engine life? i do not know of any Punto with this kind of mileage.

Quote:
Just asking this question because its a 1248 CC Multijet diesel and the weight of the car is greater than a Ton + The gears selection is poor incase of punto + FIat uses Aluminum blocks for this engine.

WIth all of the above points, i feel that the quality of the engine is compromised. i believe that, Punto 2012 shouldn't be a product from Fiat stable. if it is, then it must come with a 1400 or 1600 CC Mjd engine.
Punto has been on sale in Europe and other places since ages, it weighs the same and comes with the same 1248cc engine. I do not have any doubts in regards to this car's reliability, unless Fiat India has screwed something in name of localisation.

Also, lesser cubic capacity does not mean engine is stressed, just have a look at the Torque to weight ratio.

AFAIK Punto has been Italy's bestselling car since last 8-9 years(correct me if i am wrong).

Quote:
The other implementations of this engine are at least 200 KG's light. Etios hardly weighs a Ton but uses a 1.4 ND TV engine. Dci is a 1500 CC. Ford gives a 1.4 Duratorq.
Punto has sold in far far higher volumes worldwide compared to these made for India cut cost cars.

Quote:
I would be very happy, if someone could prove me wrong. As a fiat Enthusiast, i feel that this product cant survive in the long run.
I am about to upgrade my car and i want to buy a fiat, but somehow i feel that the version on Punto/Linea cant take the beating of carrying the heavy body.
Swift ZDI weighs 1080kgs, Punto MJD EP 75hp weighs 1130kg, the difference is 50kg only. One extra female passenger/some luggage in the car is enough to offset the weight advantage.

Quote:
I know that it has a VGT. but Adding a VGT doesnt make a donkey run like a horse right? (daru peene se ghada thodi hi ghoda jaisa daud payega?) i know this is a stupid example but... just wanted to convey what i mean..
You need to get your facts right, Punto 75 hp does not come with a VGT.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2012 at 22:22.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 22:37   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add to what Anshuman has said, just get to know that Fiat MJD's come with the warranty of 50 months (including extended) or 1.5L Kms.

Personally, I know few who are driving Linea MJD with more than 1.2L Kms on Odo without any engine issues so far.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 22:47   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is still only at 17.k. Hence no personal comments/ observations.

See the below thread however. 140k kms and going strong.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...review-16.html

By the way - 90hp (The one with VGT) is no donkey, specially above 2k rpm.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 03:52   #231
BHPian

Our Car has crossed 60K and has been around for 3 year now. I could see myself holding on to this car for another 1-2 years (and 30 - 40 K). If i had a choice right now though, i may go with the i20 because of it's engine. However, Hyundai is shooting it's customers with its service costs and absurd spare parts. I don't know what's gotten into em, but their Service costs, constant replacement of parts are much more than from 5 years ago when we purchased our Verna. Compared to our Hyundai, maintaining our Innova is much cheaper and more importantly not a part has failed on out Toyota. I think only Skoda and the Germans charge more. Scary what happens when they get a slight head start over the others. I appreciate Maruti Suzuki all the more now.

Who would've thought that maintaining a FIAT is actually cheaper than maintaining a Hyundai.
krreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 11:27   #232

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Thank you all. Anshuman, Ramesh, Crazy Driver and KR reddy.

I couldnt see the sun as there are too many clouds.
I know the reliability of FIAT. i have been owning one from the past 6 years and i really love it.

Again, thank you all. i went through most of the ownership threads, and i went through the mentioned ones too. But the number of parts replaced in many vehicles have covered the true facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How can i predict engine life? i do not know of any Punto with this kind of mileage.
Thanks for quoting this. Only FIAT can answer this.

Punto has been on sale in Europe and other places since ages, it weighs the same and comes with the same 1248cc engine. I do not have any doubts in regards to this car's reliability, unless Fiat India has screwed something in name of localisation.

Also, lesser cubic capacity does not mean engine is stressed, just have a look at the Torque to weight ratio.

You are correct however i have a Q. Wouldnt the extra torque generated by a smaller engine wouldnt put high pressure on the pistons ?

AFAIK Punto has been Italy's bestselling car since last 8-9 years(correct me if i am wrong).
I guess, we need some experts to come into picture to answer this. I read somewhere that Fiat sells less in number in Italy. Italians believe that Fiat is a poor brand and they are buying Germans. VW.

Punto has sold in far far higher volumes worldwide compared to these made for India cut cost cars.

Swift ZDI weighs 1080kgs, Punto MJD EP 75hp weighs 1130kg, the difference is 50kg only. One extra female passenger/some luggage in the car is enough to offset the weight advantage.

Thanks for correcting me over here. I guess.. the volumes of Swift might have overtaken the volumes sold by Punto by now.

You need to get your facts right, Punto 75 hp does not come with a VGT.
Sorry to correct you. Punto 90 HP comes with a VGT. 75 HP one has a FGT.
The reason for this post is, i am planning to upgrade. But cant look at other vehicles. they look Bland. and Tata *** is around 30 KM from my home. Also there are too many replacements done in Fiat vehicles. so.... i hope you all understand.

Thanks for your response sir. However your post is not clear The following lines have put more confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
If i had a choice right now though, i may go with the i20 because of it's engine. However, Hyundai is shooting it's customers with its service costs and absurd spare parts.

Who would've thought that maintaining a FIAT is actually cheaper than maintaining a Hyundai.
would you please reiterate the things in a differnt way please

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2012 at 11:32. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 20th October 2012, 08:09   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response sir. However your post is not clear The following lines have put more confusion.

would you please reiterate the things in a differnt way please
That an i20 would have been a better option.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:59   #234

Guys!! Thanks for your responses.
I need some more information to decide on my new purchase.

I would like to know, what would be the speed at different RPM's in Punto 75 as i am planning for one very soon.
Need the speed of the car at 1800, 2000 & 2200/2500 RPM.
I tried calculating the speeds using gear ratios and other stuff but its going wrong. (Used the formula mentioned in one of the thread)

As far as i remember, punto does 80Km @ 2000 RPM. This is common to all Fiat cars including 1.6 Petrol engines.

Does 90HP does different speeds at different RPM's when compared to 75Hp?
Old 30th October 2012, 10:55   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I highly doubt this. Both the variants run the same gearbox and engine block. There should be no difference in engine speed at the said speed. The pace at getting to a certain speed is the primary difference. Having driven a Punto 90, I sometimes feel the 75 version is quicker to respond a low engine speeds. It feels more tractable than the 90 though the 90 will blow the 75 away once you are in the optimum range of the turbo charger.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:43   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk
Guys!! Thanks for your responses.
I need some more information to decide on my new purchase.

I would like to know, what would be the speed at different RPM's in Punto 75 as i am planning for one very soon.
Need the speed of the car at 1800, 2000 & 2200/2500 RPM.
I tried calculating the speeds using gear ratios and other stuff but its going wrong. (Used the formula mentioned in one of the thread)

As far as i remember, punto does 80Km @ 2000 RPM. This is common to all Fiat cars including 1.6 Petrol engines.

100 kmph comes at around 2400~2500 rpm for the 75 HP.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 17:35   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
100 kmph comes at around 2400~2500 rpm for the 75 HP.
That' correct, the car at 100kmph does 2.5K RPM in 5th gear. Wonder what a sixth gear would have done to the cruising ability of the car.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:12   #238

I have observed the following in my 75 HP Punto:

In 5th gear
100 kph @2500 rpm
80 kph@2000 rpm etc. That is rpm/100 x 4

In 4th gear
60 kph @2000 rpm
That is rpm/100 X 3
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:18   #239
BHPian

[quote=gemi_kk;2937140]Anshuman, i have a query for you. I know that this is not a straight forward question but, yes it might clear some clouds in many minds.

My two cents , incase it helps you .

THe biggest problem i had to replace my Palio GTX after 7 years is just that i didnt find one , She was like the Ideal wife , whom you would want all your life along .

MJD is a mass market engine , Punto ride , handling /overall suspension is miles ahead but i have to admit , it doesnt beg you to be pushed like the 1.6 engine does.

My close friends at TVS used to say that 1.9 diesel engines in the Palios used to a gem as well and we know there are many cars which have run more than 200k .

Having said that , I have serious doubt on this if the MJD is used consistently for spirited driving . But believe me during my long drives i have realized that once u know how to use her , it gives the best combination of drive / less stress /high torque from the engine .

T-jet is the best option for a 1.6 owner , most probably its going to be my next car , there is no chance that i can miss a fiat steering , how worst the service is.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:31   #240

[quote=rageshbhaskar;2951100]
Quote:

My two cents , incase it helps you .

THe biggest problem i had to replace my Palio GTX after 7 years is just that i didnt find one , She was like the Ideal wife , whom you would want all your life along .

MJD is a mass market engine , Punto ride , handling /overall suspension is miles ahead but i have to admit , it doesnt beg you to be pushed like the 1.6 engine does.

My close friends at TVS used to say that 1.9 diesel engines in the Palios used to a gem as well and we know there are many cars which have run more than 200k .

Having said that , I have serious doubt on this if the MJD is used consistently for spirited driving . But believe me during my long drives i have realized that once u know how to use her , it gives the best combination of drive / less stress /high torque from the engine .

T-jet is the best option for a 1.6 owner , most probably its going to be my next car , there is no chance that i can miss a fiat steering , how worst the service is.
Thanks Mate!! My main concern was "Fiat is trying to go by the Aam Junta way" They are concentrating more for common people rather than what they are good at. Adding more value to the brand is always good, but "compromising on what you are best at" is not advisable in the long run.
This one line does make a difference to a prospective buyer, Especially of FIAT as you know the linea hardly sells 50 unints in a month.
Closed Thread