Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2010, 22:11   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold

Nice report.
Something tells me that Laura(?) has not been able to nudge Punto from that special place in your heart. But then I may be wrong.

Those kms clocked on Punto make me ashamed. Mine as just clocked 8.5k since March.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:42   #107
BHPian

Very nice report anshuman.
For the various parts that you need replacement, dont these dealers try to get it from other dealers in the same city if they are having stock? For FIAT, if they see their dealer website, they can see whether the given part is in stock for any other dealership. Here in Bangalore, Concorde & Prerana work in that way. For replacing my rear bumper after an accident, I gave it to Prerana. They were not having stock and they took it from Concorde. If they order, it will take atleast 1 week to come. But for any part, maximum time for replacement should be still the time taken for the part to arrive from factory which should not exceed more than a week.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:42   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Nice report there Anshuman Bhai. My car is due for it's 30k service this weekend, so will be PMing you for some details :o). The car might require break pads change. Expecting a bill on the higher side this time!
^^ Feel free to ask me for any info you may need. let's keep it on the forum instead of PM, the info and discussion may help someone else too.

Brake pads worn before 30k? Looks like you have been having too much fun around the twisties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Nice report.
Something tells me that Laura(?) has not been able to nudge Punto from that special place in your heart. But then I may be wrong.
^^ My usage has gone down past 15k kms, Punto remains a favourite despite the poor service experience. Not that i don't love the other cars, they get even treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
For the various parts that you need replacement, dont these dealers try to get it from other dealers in the same city if they are having stock? For FIAT, if they see their dealer website, they can see whether the given part is in stock for any other dealership.

Here in Bangalore, Concorde & Prerana work in that way. For replacing my rear bumper after an accident, I gave it to Prerana. They were not having stock and they took it from Concorde. If they order, it will take atleast 1 week to come. But for any part, maximum time for replacement should be still the time taken for the part to arrive from factory which should not exceed more than a week.
^^ I have similar setup at Hyundai dealers but none of the Tata-Fiat dealers have offered me this. The wait for the parts is annoying, What if some essential part fails some day? I cannot leave my in workshop till the part arrives in months. This is the bad side, the Good side compensates for it though. No regrets for buying Punto.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:12   #109
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday afternoon i got a call from Dad. He told me Punto had stalled on midst of Chandigarh-Hisar highway with engine check light and was not starting even after several tries. Luckily Dad knew some locals, he called a local mechanic.

The mechanic said Diesel was dripping from the car, so he checked the source. The leakage was sourced to Diesel pipe connecting the fuel filter which had come off. He put on the pipe and fixed it temporarily using a clamp. Now the car fired at the first crank. The car was taken to the ASC again who admitted their mistake.

A fortnight back when the car went for service at Telmos Auto, Hisar the mechanic did not fix the clamp on the pipe properly, the cause of this breakdown.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th December 2010 at 13:16.
Old 25th December 2010, 20:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Was the fuel filter changed during service ?
Old 25th December 2010, 20:34   #111
BANNED

Good to know the problem was solved. Its very very rare for Fiats to break down because of mechanical problem.

I think you need to complain to Telmos Auto for all this. Its a very major mistake!! They should compensate you for the time lost.
Old 25th December 2010, 20:35   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Was the fuel filter changed during service ?
Yes the filter was changed during the 30,000kms Oil change service. I have not yet seen the car after this, not which pipe they were talking about.

Although it was late in the evening, fortunately Dad was posted there some years back and knew some locals, so calling a local mechanic got the car back on road with in minutes. I am disappointed with the quality of service offered, not that they charge less, 5000+ bucks for a car of this segment is expensive(Still the car comes back with the issues unfixed everytime irrespective of the ASC) . Even both Fortuner and Elantra are cheaper to service.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th December 2010 at 20:38.
Old 29th December 2010, 12:45   #113
BHPian

Can you share the break-up of service costs for the 30k service? Mine should be reaching the milestone in another 15 days.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:10   #114
BHPian

@.anshuman

The problems currently on my Punto are that the belly scrapes a lot more now than it used to do before - over the same speed breakers even at lower speeds. Areas on the bonnet and the boot have developed flakes with rusted corners. Have you noticed similar problem in yours?

In my 2nd service, I was charged Rs. 326.92 for the Oil filter (Part No. 0059063972) and Rs. 2204.81 for Assembly Fuel Filter (Part No. 570309110104). Since the service manual says these have to be replaced this time too, I would like to know if the charges were fair? I remember someone saying that I was overcharged for the fuel filter. Can you confirm?

Would moving to K&N air filters from stocks make sense?

Any other pointers on what needs to be done or any surprises I should be prepared for? Anything that could be of help and restrict the visit of SC to once in a year.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:12   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Can you share the break-up of service costs for the 30k service? Mine should be reaching the milestone in another 15 days.
I am sorry i would not be able to give you the break up of the costs as my Dad drives the car these days, meaning car not in town. Will update later but will take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
@.anshuman

The problems currently on my Punto are that the belly scrapes a lot more now than it used to do before - over the same speed breakers even at lower speeds. Areas on the bonnet and the boot have developed flakes with rusted corners. Have you noticed similar problem in yours?

In my 2nd service, I was charged Rs. 326.92 for the Oil filter (Part No. 0059063972) and Rs. 2204.81 for Assembly Fuel Filter (Part No. 570309110104). Since the service manual says these have to be replaced this time too, I would like to know if the charges were fair? I remember someone saying that I was overcharged for the fuel filter. Can you confirm?

Would moving to K&N air filters from stocks make sense?

Any other pointers on what needs to be done or any surprises I should be prepared for? Anything that could be of help and restrict the visit of SC to once in a year.
Hi Concorde,
Please get the Front suspension checked if the car scrapes more, it can be busted shock absorbers.

Not sure about the price of the parts, reason mentioned above.

Moving to K&N makes sense. Breathing will improve but do not expect miracles, just a minor change. Want more Power? Try a tuning box, but it comes with risks associated, If you want to keep the car for a long time avoid Tuning Box.

Just make sure to check the car for any leakages and loose parts in the Engine area after the car comes back from service to make sure they did not forget to something as they did with my car.

I say it again- Fiat Italy has designed a wonderful car, but Fiat India and Tata have ruined the entire experience for the me.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:39   #116
BHPian

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I say it again- Fiat Italy has designed a wonderful car, but Fiat India and Tata have ruined the entire experience for the me.
I echo your thoughts. The result is a product poor on quality and worse on after-sales. Heard the alliance may be called off soon and details are being currently worked out. Don't know how much of truth in that but hope it is soon. Fiat chose the right products this time but erred on the method. Hope they rectify it in time.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the brake down. Anyway, I'm happy that they admitted their mistake.

Pardon my ignorance, let me ask you a doubt.

You've mentioned that diesel used to drip, prior to the breakdown. Taking the knowledge that you've about cars into consideration, I find it shocking to see that you didn't take your car to the service center to get figure out the problem!

or did I miss anything?
Old 20th February 2011, 16:35   #118
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Octavia replacement to be based on the VW Vento!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Pardon my ignorance, let me ask you a doubt.

You've mentioned that diesel used to drip, prior to the breakdown. Taking the knowledge that you've about cars into consideration, I find it shocking to see that you didn't take your car to the service center to get figure out the problem!
There was no dripping observed before breakdown. The car was not with me, my Dad too is a Petrolhead, any leakage would not go unnoticed.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st February 2011 at 14:24. Reason: typo
Old 21st February 2011, 15:00   #119
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up 35k update + Fresh new Pics

The car has crossed the 35k Mark now. No new issues have been observed till date. The car is now doing just the highway duties for Dad, returning a good FE in range of 18-22kpl. The tires still look good for another 10k kms. The car seems to be ageing pretty well mechanically, the plastics are a different story altogether. The clutch has become hard, it's no longer spongy soft.

Local ASC is still trying to procure the steering lock ordered months ago and the driver's side seat is still to be replaced as both the reclining mechanism and height adjust has failed. The parcel tray holders come off every now and then, the screws on the rear seat latch also have developed a new tendency to come loose often, ignore these issues(and other few which i did not find worth posting here) and Punto is a excellent car.

I washed both the cars recently and waxed them. The gloss on the Red color post wax is drool stuff.

Some fresh pics follow...

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1394p.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1401.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1404.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1426.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1427.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1446.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1447.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-i00098.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1460.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1463.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1505.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1541.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1543.jpg

Life with a Fiat Punto *UPDATE* Car sold-img_1544.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 17:26   #120
BHPian

Hi Anshuman ,

The white deposit on the door pads on the power window switches is a very quick fix . I've seen this whitening on almost all cars . Just get a good dashboard polish and rub it on and am sure it should look just like new . I myself have done about 6000 Kms in the 15 months that I've had the car (yeah I dont use the car much ) but everytime I polish the car and the way the paint starts looking rich again is just drool stuff . Rub some dash board polish on the plastic arc thats on the bonet and it becomes super dark black just like new and do the same for teh plastic parts on the inside and you have a sparkling new car . Add to that some Tyre polish and ooh boy you're ready to turn heads again . BTW you have 2 cars and one is a CH registered and the other is HR . And both cars from stables which have very bad reps . You sure are a brave man !
Closed Thread