Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2011, 11:22   #466
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

@repsol...He's using the spare tyre i believe. Must have gone through a puncture on the original tyre. The spare tyre comes with original alloys but minus the chevy logo.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:37   #467
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Don't give it for service with the new tints. The pressure wash and moisture will be trouble. The careless service guys may also use the power windows. 2-3 days in the sun and no using the power windows and rear defroster for 2-3 days.
Tints were done on wednesday afternoon under the sun and yesterday whole day it was baking nicely in sun. I checked with 3M folks and they said go ahead but, when giving my car for service this morning. I emphatically told them not to pressure wash or roll down the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Didn't quite get that. Levels 4/5/6 (esp. the uncovered parts) are pretty empty any time of the day.
I usually come in early and as you know i am in building 1 so this parking is closest to my office. If i come after 10:15am I have no choice but to park it in MLCP and either take the shuttle or jog to building 1

Only issue where i park is the tree leaves fall on the bonnet and windscreen making a bit of mess so i usually park on opposite side where there are no trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Is there something missing here Avi ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
@repsol...He's using the spare tyre i believe. Must have gone through a puncture on the original tyre. The spare tyre comes with original alloys but minus the chevy logo.
Ashish was bang on in his explanation. The spare will go back in today and original back in position by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Open the door for a few days and swipe the card. winding the windows down when the tints are wet and not dried is sure shot way to peel them off early.
Spadix may have not elaborated but, there are two things that are mandatory. One is passage is so tight that its difficult for Cruze to go in between the two smart card poles. I actually have to carefully point it between them. There is no space to open the door and swipe. Another point is security is pretty tight. He will ask you to roll down the window to check your card, sticker on car and a hard look at your face

I usually make the security guard work. I hand over the card to them and he swipes and gives it back to me

Alright, WA has gone for its 2nd service at 10,400kms ( 1000kms is not counted as a service as per the booklet)

Following key items to be checked :-

1. Squeak in passenger seat ( Didnt hear this after i came back from my trip)
2. Aircon some smell and AC not as effective as it should be
3. Brake pads cleaning and special emphasize on rear rims where lot of brake dust has accumalated during the trip
4. Underbody check
5. Wheel Alignment and Balance
6. Air Filter replacement ( once in 10,000kms and again at 30,000kms), I will get a performance filter sometime between this time period
7. Swap the RL tyre with tyre in boot and fill nitrogen in all 5 tyres

I am looking at damages to my pocket post this service is approximately Rs.2,200 ( as per the estimate).

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st January 2011 at 12:42. Reason: Forgot to mention the estimate
Old 21st January 2011, 14:31   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I usually come in early and as you know i am in building 1 so this parking is closest to my office. If i come after 10:15am I have no choice but to park it in MLCP and either take the shuttle or jog to building 1
Oh, ok! I saw 10:30 pm in your earlier post and got confused .

Quote:
Spadix may have not elaborated but, there are two things that are mandatory. One is passage is so tight that its difficult for Cruze to go in between the two smart card poles. I actually have to carefully point it between them. There is no space to open the door and swipe.
Yeah - they should really have wider drive-thru' bays, but again this is not America, so...

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st January 2011, 19:30   #469
Senior - BHPian

Default Reg the servicing

Quote:
Alright, WA has gone for its 2nd service at 10,400kms ( 1000kms is not counted as a service as per the booklet)

3. Brake pads cleaning and special emphasize on rear rims where lot of brake dust has accumalated during the trip
4. Underbody check
6. Air Filter replacement ( once in 10,000kms and again at 30,000kms), I will get a performance filter sometime between this time period

I am looking at damages to my pocket post this service is approximately Rs.2,200 ( as per the estimate).
Aircon: Perhaps the filter needs changing - also check for leaves etc in the air passages.

Brake pad dust: If the rear wheels have more dust - have the brakes checked and adjusted, the front should have more dust than the rear as it is better to have stronger brakes in front.

Air filter: I suggest you stick to OE paper filters esp. for dusty conditions. I also have mixed feelings about the oil used on the 'performance' filters. Would not want anything to muck up the turbo, intercooler, air mass sensor etc.

Cheers,
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:25   #470
Senior - BHPian

Nice to read your updates on the Cruze, mobike008.

I remembered your car when I saw a huge ad at Times Square, NY on the Cruze which read something like 'Do you merely want a boring Corolla, or a car with all its features and also every other thing you wanted in it'?

Nice, huh?
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:45   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Aircon: Perhaps the filter needs changing - also check for leaves etc in the air passages.

Brake pad dust: If the rear wheels have more dust - have the brakes checked and adjusted, the front should have more dust than the rear as it is better to have stronger brakes in front.

Air filter: I suggest you stick to OE paper filters esp. for dusty conditions. I also have mixed feelings about the oil used on the 'performance' filters. Would not want anything to muck up the turbo, intercooler, air mass sensor etc.
That pretty much sums up what actually was done. I will stick to paper air filter atleast until 30K kms and then think through of next steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I remembered your car when I saw a huge ad at Times Square, NY on the Cruze which read something like 'Do you merely want a boring Corolla, or a car with all its features and also every other thing you wanted in it'?Nice, huh?
You bet. That ad was not selling Cruze or telling lies. It was merely stating the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Oh, ok! I saw 10:30 pm in your earlier post and got confused
Oops, didnt notice that. My bad !

Quote:

4. Underbody check

This service was efficiently carried out yesterday and my bill was lower than the estimate. It was Rs.1862 to be precise and break-up is as follows :-

1. Rs.900 for wheel alignment and balance including sticker weight
2. Rs.695 + tax = Rs.800 for air filter replacement
3. Windscreen wash some 35 bucks
4. Remaining was tax et. all

a) They topped up the brake oil was less and cleaned all the brake pads and now the feel is same as when i got it out of showroom

b) My suspicion for AC not working effectively was correct. They cleaned the AC and now it chill to bone even at 1 and previously at 3 it was not too effective

c) All other works that i wanted were carried out. There was a nice polish done on dashboard and they washed the car very nicely as i carefully went through every inch and was pleased to note the detailed work

d) Finally, a brief word about their honesty and integrity. I left my service book, an expensive bottle opener, my prized possession ( pink floyd CD's) in the car and found them in same place. Even better, during my trip somewhere in Nainital i lost my original blackberry leather cover and was pleasantly surprised to see that in center console. Those folks must have found it below seat or something

Overall, an amazing experience with GM and KUN CHEVY in particular

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd January 2011 at 09:46.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:50   #472

Hi Avi, congratulations on owning the WA. I like the way you keep the car as close to stock looks as possible which oozes class in my opinion. Which brings me to the black parking sensors. Are they third party or OEM? If OEM are they also the same color on the LTZ variant which I think comes with parking sensors as standard?

If I want to retrofit my dad's white octavia with third party sensors what are the possibilities of getting them in white or can I get them painted white? Also do you get the parking sensors animated display in your stock MID?

Are you planning to replace your stock stereo HU with an integrated HU which supports GPS and rear guidance camera? If so what are the options?

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, but your views will be invaluable to me as we are seriously considering WA for our next car. A bit off topic, a brief description of the advantages of filling Nitrogen in the tires will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2011, 12:35   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_wheels View Post
Hi Avi, congratulations on owning the WA. I like the way you keep the car as close to stock looks as possible which oozes class in my opinion. Which brings me to the black parking sensors. Are they third party or OEM? If OEM are they also the same color on the LTZ variant which I think comes with parking sensors as standard?
Hey, thanks for the appreciation. IMO, luxury vehicles look best in stock. A lot of stickering, gross alloy wheel and paint job is best left for smaller segment cars

Parking sensors installed on WA is third party and they always come in black color ( lucky you if you have a black color car). You can paint them body color but, there is no guarantee that they will recognize obstacles as efficiently

LTZ, parking sensors are part and parcel. Infact, they are the same that i installed on mine but, during factory fitting it comes as in body color

Quote:
If I want to retrofit my dad's white octavia with third party sensors what are the possibilities of getting them in white or can I get them painted white? Also do you get the parking sensors animated display in your stock MID?
Answered your first part of the question above.

The animated display does not show up in MID. There is another small screen installed on dash that shows the display

Quote:
Are you planning to replace your stock stereo HU with an integrated HU which supports GPS and rear guidance camera? If so what are the options?
I am not planning on spending any more dough on WA as from my experience they dont come in handy as value added sales points when you sell the car

If you plan to upgrade then go for Caska HU. It has all features that you mentioned and will cost you around 40K

Quote:
A bit off topic, a brief description of the advantages of filling Nitrogen in the tires will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I dont want to give you any technical description of advantages of Nitrogen but, its worth going for it for simple reason that you need to refill once in 2 months which i do religiously. As a matter of fact, i have a reminder on my phone. And, I get to see PSI drop between 4-6 from 32PSI that i fill for all 4 wheels.

I wont ever change back to regular air ever.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:01   #474

Hey Avi, thank you very much for the info. One more thing I forgot to ask, any idea how much you have to dish out to get power folding ORVMs which come as standard for LTZ? I find them particularly useful when driving through road bottle necks which are omni present in hyderabad. All the traffic squeezes into that small space for a moment and you get scary and concerned for your ORVMs. Recently I drove my friend's i20 through such roads and its a bliss to have them. You can just retract them at the push of a button when in shoulder to shoulder traffic and open them when it eases.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:25   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Avi, thank you very much for the info. One more thing I forgot to ask, any idea how much you have to dish out to get power folding ORVMs which come as standard for LTZ? I find them particularly useful when driving through road bottle necks which are omni present in hyderabad. All the traffic squeezes into that small space for a moment and you get scary and concerned for your ORVMs. Recently I drove my friend's i20 through such roads and its a bliss to have them. You can just retract them at the push of a button when in shoulder to shoulder traffic and open them when it eases.
I am totally unhappy with Chevy folks for not giving 3 important features in Cruze LT which are :-

1. Power folding mirrors
2. Audio controls on steering wheels
3. Climate Control AC

#1 is truly a bliss as you rightly mentioned in heavy traffic conditions. And, both side ORVM are always open in my case and I somehow manage to swerve precariously close but not hit anyone till now.

To answer your query, I havent explored that with Chevy yet and it serves as a reminder and will find out soon enough if it's possible to get it implemented in LT
Old 25th January 2011, 14:37   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to give you any technical description of advantages of Nitrogen but, its worth going for it for simple reason that you need to refill once in 2 months which i do religiously. As a matter of fact, i have a reminder on my phone. And, I get to see PSI drop between 4-6 from 32PSI that i fill for all 4 wheels.

I wont ever change back to regular air ever.
I think this whole nitrogen thingamajiggy is nothing more than snake oil.

For one thing, regular air is 79% nitrogen anyway. I wonder what that additional 21% could do that the already existing 79% couldn't.

Secondly, I just checked the air pressure today on my car after exactly 33 days and there was absolutely no drop in air pressure. I fill "regular" air. 33 days back, I got 30 psi filled after 3.4 kms of driving (from work to the air pump) in the evening. Today I got pressure checked after 0.9 kms of driving (from home to pump) at noon.

This is just one instance, but I'm extremely lazy when it comes to checking air pressure on any of my vehicles (tube-type/tubeless notwithstanding) and I've never seen huge drops in pressure even after a month (sometimes two). I usually just rely on a visual check and kick/stand on the tyre to dispel doubts (if any).

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th January 2011, 15:35   #477
Team-BHP Support

As most of you may know that i recently covered 5500kms in my Cruze covering 10 states in India.

After covering so many kms through almost all kind of terrains its pretty much evident that my WA has been put through all that it can take probably through its lifetime and with it completing 10,500kms it is an ideal time to share a bit more about its performance, dynamics, comfort, glitches and delights all and which hopefully will be useful for someone contemplating to buy a Cruze and take an informed decision

Positives
1. How much ever said about it's monstrous power is still less. When your on highway, its performance will simply dazzle you and can go up to speeds that will make you catch your breathe. Overtaking in 4th and many times in 5th is as easy as writing your name on a piece of paper.

As matter of fact, car is so stable at those speeds that you have to double check with your odo or pinch yourselves to know it's for real

2. Apart from it's awesome engine, 2nd best feature of Cruze is it's brakes. To give you a simple example, if your on an empty expressway and doing 150kmph and with a gentle press on brakes the car slows down to 70kmph-80kmph so fast, you really need to get used to this phenomena.

Initially, when i bought this car, maybe with an 1/2 inch depression of brakes the car would come to a standstill in traffic conditions which is dangerous if your not used to as it will result in collision from behind.

Kudos to Chevy for providing brakes which are suitable to bring this fast car to a halt quickly

3. The driver seat design is really nice, it will wrap the you completely and provides good lumbar support and keeps you comfortable for long distance journeys. Due to my height ( 6ft. 1inch), in my previous car ( Accent Viva CRDi), I use to stop every 200kms for a few minutes to stretch my legs as my knees used to pain and then resume my journey. In Cruze, if i am on good roads, i can drive without stopping the car for minimum 400kms-450kms.

4. Steering Wheel is chunky and has an amazing feel. You can practically feel the vehicle turning left/right at the slightest turn of the wheel. As speeds increase, weight of wheel also increases and gives you a sturdy and confidence inspiring feeling.

5. Due to its long wheelbase (longest in its segment), handling is absolutely superb. You can take steep turns at over 100kmph without even twitching. It's not flat on ground as compared to a say ; a Linea or BMW but, much better than anything between them. I personally feel change of tyres has done a world of good to my Cruze apart from adding a touch of cosmetic ooze.

6. Despite such a powerful motor, till date it's fuel efficieny has been more than satisfactory. In city, 11.25kmpl with 100% AC. On highways, depending on how you drive can be assured of 12kmpl-14kmpl at the minimum.

7. Most important update, during this entire trip my Cruze went through some fantastic highways but, also got battered through several hundred kilometers of bad, patchy and pot-holed ridden roads as well.

During entire 5500kms, it's bottom may have scraped 2-3 times at the maximum which says a lot about its suspension. This is a pretty low slung sedan but, it will not scrape the bottom that easily. Only problem with Cruze is its front portion is much lower than its side hangs so one needs to be careful when reversing or going up an incline

Negatives

1. For me, biggest downside in this car is it's swooping roofline which is also it's key oomph factor but, for practical reasons it makes the driver feel slightly claustrophobic if he's in the driving seat for long hours.

2. Turbo Lag! This negative aspect of Cruze has been discussed to death on Team-BHP. There is a turbolag but, for me personally being in right gear negates this downside is not such a negative that option of considering a Cruze is thrown out of the window. However, turbo lag is harshly evident if your in crawling traffic and going uphill, then it becomes a pain to control the car.

3. I feel the absence of dead pedal an issue. During long drives, this small contraption would have come in real handy. I missed it sorely during my trip

4. Clutch! I dont feel the clutch heavy as mentioned by other folks. But, yes there is a slight springback to the clutch.

5. It's sheer size is sometimes quite daunting not just to look at but, also for driving in city. It took me more than a couple of weeks to get the hang of manevouering it through dense city traffic keeping both my ORVM open.

6. My other cries would be non availability of basic but useful stuff in my version like the climate control, volume controls on steering and power folding ORVM.

7. Rearseat space is not as much as you would like it to be in a car of this size and segment. But, then i bought knowing all these downsides, so i am not complaining as I am behind the wheel 99% of the time.

All I can say is, I listened to my heart and it proved me correct. Hope to enjoy it for a few more years and also hope it wont let me down

Time for some recent pictures of my White Annihilator. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5271.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5859.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5507.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5265.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5270.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_5926.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_6333.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_6896.jpg  

Old 25th January 2011, 16:00   #478
Senior - BHPian

Hmm - your 10k report mirrors my findings from my test drive to the T, except...

Quote:
5. Due to its long wheelbase (longest in its segment), handling is absolutely
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Civic has the Cruze beat here - 2700 v. 2685 .

That doesn't matter though. I need data to verify this, but despite the higher GC as well (by 5 mm), the softer suspension set-up means the Civic, even with the 2009 modification, *probably* scrapes the same ground more than the Cruze does at the same loads and speeds.

Regards,
spadix
Old 27th January 2011, 22:53   #479
BHPian

Friends, As a driver I was sold on cruze during the first test drive. As many of you pointed out I was bit reluctant to go for it because of lack of space or the feeling of it. But decided to plunge; if you need a gain (driving pleasure) you need to loose some (give a damn about back seat). But its good enough for my 10 yr old kid.

I was contemplating on LT model and I got completeley convinced by this thread. This thread created lot of interest in Cruze and it even made me not to worry about the space issue.

I am always inclined to black color cars, and I had been only looking black cruze. But some of the photos here and Avi's trip up north tempted me towards olympic white. My family also started pressurising me to give a break to the black color, at least this time. So decided to go for olympic white.

Now comes the important part. I want to add fog lamps and parking sensor. Though my deal will be closing with Sundaram motors in Chennai, the other dealer in Chennai quotes 12k for foglamp. Avi, I saw in this thread that you had bought this at 8k. Is that OEM? will I get aftermarkets cheaper.

With regards to parking sensor, Sundaram motor says that GM has asked to stop adding parking sensors as accessories in LT model. Looks like its a recent development due to some issues around the electricals. The guys at Sundaram motors say that warranty will be an issue if I do it outside. How to check the authenticity of this?

Request the forum's help in clarifying this.
Old 27th January 2011, 23:13   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
Friends, As a driver I was sold on cruze during the first test drive. As many of you pointed out I was bit reluctant to go for it because of lack of space or the feeling of it. But decided to plunge;
Congratulations! I am happy my thread helped you in taking a decision

Quote:
if you need a gain (driving pleasure) you need to loose some (give a damn about back seat)
Wow! Finally someone who echoed my feeling exactly......

Quote:
I was contemplating on LT model and I got completeley convinced by this thread. This thread created lot of interest in Cruze and it even made me not to worry about the space issue.
Well, I love my cars and perhaps it shows in the details that I share. Besides, the happiness gets manifold if it helps others in enjoying the same pleasure

Quote:
I am always inclined to black color cars, and I had been only looking black cruze. But some of the photos here and Avi's trip up north tempted me towards olympic white. My family also started pressurising me to give a break to the black color, at least this time. So decided to go for olympic white.
Good Decision. Though my favorite colors in Cruze is Olympic White and Caviar Black. No other color, Period!

But, as Spadix mentioned maintaining a black car is not an easy task ( speaking from personal experience). IMHO, OW is the best color in Cruze.

Quote:
Now comes the important part. I want to add fog lamps and parking sensor. Though my deal will be closing with Sundaram motors in Chennai, the other dealer in Chennai quotes 12k for foglamp. Avi, I saw in this thread that you had bought this at 8k. Is that OEM? will I get aftermarkets cheaper.
I negotiated hard for Fog Lamps to be added as a freebie. Had I waited for a bit, I would have got it free. But, I needed the car at my doorstep so badly that i let the sales guy win.

I paid Rs.8000 to dealer and it was installed by them before i took the delivery along with ORVM turning lights ( Rs.2500) also as an added accessory. You stand your ground and negotiate it for 8K

Quote:
With regards to parking sensor, Sundaram motor says that GM has asked to stop adding parking sensors as accessories in LT model. Looks like its a recent development due to some issues around the electricals. The guys at Sundaram motors say that warranty will be an issue if I do it outside. How to check the authenticity of this?
This is news to me. I was not aware about this development. But, it looks more like a farce and excuse of electricals playing out seems too lame.

If you'd like I can give you the number of my sales consultant in Hyderabad who is a very helpful chap and he can clarify whether such development is for real.
Closed Thread