Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:43   #571
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

I have been reading through the threads not able to make up my mind between LT & LTZ and there are pros & cons (personal ones) that I see in both versions.

From the posts I understand that there is no Automatic Climate Control in the LT model but the Chevrolet website seems to quote otherwise. It says LT comes with it. How about the tire size, is there a difference. Otherwise the PEPS, Sunroof (I don't want one as am paranoid about it in heavy rain scenario - maybe someone can clarify on this), rain sensitive wiper are not something that am worried about.

Kindly clarify on the ACC.
SR-71 is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:33   #572
anb
BHPian
 
anb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TRIVANDRUM
Posts: 263
Thanked: 134 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
From the posts I understand that there is no Automatic Climate Control in the LT model but the Chevrolet website seems to quote otherwise. It says LT comes with it. How about the tire size, is there a difference. Otherwise the PEPS, Sunroof (I don't want one as am paranoid about it in heavy rain scenario - maybe someone can clarify on this), rain sensitive wiper are not something that am worried about.

Kindly clarify on the ACC.
2011 LT model comes with ACC ,steering mounted audio controls, bigger central display etc. Tyre size is same for both versions
anb is online now  
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:25   #573
BHPian
 
SubuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Sunroof is well seated / protected in the LTZ. I think you should go for the top model only if you find the PEPS / sunroof important enough.

Tyres etc. - people advice for a change anyway, so I wouldn't worry about them.
SubuS is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:39   #574
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

@ anb, subu,
Thanks for the quick response.

@ mobike088
Sorry, I am kind of hijacking your thread as QA session on Cruze, but I really dint want to open up a new thread to ask my questions.

Per Chevrolet website following are the feature that is to be found in LTZ over LT

Chrome Door Handles and Trunk Lid Garnish
Electric Sunroof
Leather Upholstery
Leather Steering and Gear Knob
Tilt & Telescopic Steering (Tilt only in LT)
Power Folding and Heated Outside Mirrors
Rear Parking Assist
Rain Sensitive Wiper System
Cruise Control
Intelligent Programmable Passive Entry Passive Start with Push Button Ignition On/Off
Automatic Inside Rear View Mirror
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
Front Fog Lamps

Off these, I badly need..
Front Fog Lamps

love to have..
Rear Parking Assist
Leather Steering and Gear Knob

and don't want..
Electric Sunroof
Leather Upholstery (wife doesn't like it)

So LT being 1.5L lesser than LTZ seems like an ideal option - I can always have fog lamps added for 9 odd K. I don't mind spending the 1.5L but there better be something that is really worth it.
I would appreciate if any anyone with recent buying experience can clarify on anything I would be missing. I know, I can do it by calling for a test drive or visiting the showroom but am doing my homework on my next car and Cruze stands on the top of my list currently.
SR-71 is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:59   #575
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 469 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

What is this Bluetooth Audio Streaming on the 2011 Cruze? I though the bluetooth was for using the phone through the audio system. Do people really stream music from there phones? Isnt it easier to just plug in a USB or an Ipod?
nik_kapur is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 10:25   #576
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 7,950 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Off these, I badly need..
Front Fog Lamps

love to have..
Rear Parking Assist
Leather Steering and Gear Knob

and don't want..
Electric Sunroof
Leather Upholstery (wife doesn't like it)

So LT being 1.5L lesser than LTZ seems like an ideal option - I can always have fog lamps added for 9 odd K. I don't mind spending the 1.5L but there better be something that is really worth it.
2011 LT comes with audio controls on steering, large center console screen, black interiors, ACC for a mere 20K extra.

To address your query, if you are not bound by a budget, then straight away go for LTZ. But, if you are a customer like some of us who chose Cruze armed with an "initial" 10 Lakhs budget, then consider some of the points below :-

LTZ is roughly 1.80 Lakhs over LT. If your not too particular about the gizmos that come in LTZ ( according to me, most of them arent too useful except for ACC, Controls on Steering) then you can use this extra money for following

a) Rs.20,000 for tyre upgrade. This is absolutely mandatory as you feel experience a great deal from stock tyres.

b) Rs.30,000 for leather seats upgrade

c) Rs.0 for Audio controls on steering wheel. The earlier LT version didnt have one and is a great feature

d) If your interested, Rs.40,000 for a Caska Unit

e) 8K for fog lamps

There you go in < 1 lakh extra you will be all set for a terrific ownership experience.
mobike008 is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 10:49   #577
BHPian
 
SubuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

fogs/ rear parking assist / leather etc. can be added later. Only things that are hard to add are the sunroof + peps. unless you need them, LTZ doesn't make sense.
SubuS is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 15:16   #578
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
To address your query, if you are not bound by a budget, then straight away go for LTZ. But, if you are a customer like some of us who chose Cruze armed with an "initial" 10 Lakhs budget, then consider some of the points below
I started my search with 10L in mind But at the same time I firmly believe in the fact that If i do something I better do it fully now than repent later (hence the don't mind spending statement) as I dont plan to do any change for atleast the next 7-8 years. Reading all the posts, it looks like the the 2011 LT version is the way to go. I will be going for test drive soon & will keep you guys posted.
SR-71 is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 15:37   #579
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 181
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
2011 LT comes with audio controls on steering, large center console screen, black interiors, ACC for a mere 20K extra.

To address your query, if you are not bound by a budget, then straight away go for LTZ. But, if you are a customer like some of us who chose Cruze armed with an "initial" 10 Lakhs budget, then consider some of the points below :-
Totally agree if you have no problem in the cost difference then go for the LTZ as you do get a lot of extra features though even LT is well equipped now there is still quite a lot of difference
Quote:
LTZ is roughly 1.80 Lakhs over LT. If your not too particular about the gizmos that come in LTZ ( according to me, most of them arent too useful except for ACC, Controls on Steering) then you can use this extra money for following

a) Rs.20,000 for tyre upgrade. This is absolutely mandatory as you feel experience a great deal from stock tyres.
This is the first you have to do when you buy the car (We both are using the same CPC2 tyres and can vouch for them)
Quote:
b) Rs.30,000 for leather seats upgrade
I feel leather seats are not that important but if you want to have them then you can never get the exact fit of them from an outside store in comparison to the OEM ones
Quote:
c) Rs.0 for Audio controls on steering wheel. The earlier LT version didnt have one and is a great feature
This is a great advantage now along with ACC
Quote:
d) If your interested, Rs.40,000 for a Caska Unit
This is a personal choice but the screen itself is pretty good though obviously theres no visual playback
Quote:
e) 8K for fog lamps
These are a must especially because of the badly lighted roads in quite a few cities
In the extra money you also get blueooth though it is not of much use as you cannot make phone calls but only listen to music but you get the automatic dimming rear view mirror which I miss very dearly in my Cruze and am trying to find out if theres any way to fix it,you get a good big sunroof,PEPS,rear parking sensors also and I feel the difference is worth it though as Avi said in the beginning if you started from a budget of over 10 lakhs then go for the LT else the LTZ

Last edited by np23 : 4th April 2011 at 15:39.
np23 is offline  
Old 5th April 2011, 00:42   #580
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Why 3 instead of 2 - LTZ vs LT.

Of the additional features in the 3 alpha version over the 2 alpha one, my take is as follows:


Chrome Door Handles and Trunk Lid Garnish: Absolute trash - why pay more to make your car look like cheap blingy stuff.

Electric Sunroof: I have one in my L&K (3 alpha again!) and it is worth its weight in gold particularly on long drives when you can tilt it to get rid of stale air and get an instant 'refresh'. I do miss it in the GTX which does not have the sun/moon/star roof. But then the GTX is a sub-compact hatch.


Leather Upholstery: According to me upholstery should either be in pure cotton of pure leather (pure silk might be an option but I am trying to be practical here). Leather 'breathes' so it is more comfortable to sit on and you do not get those wet patches on the back of your shirt and seat of your pants sitting on pure leather.

Leather Steering and Gear Knob: The steering knob does not matter unless you are one of them who drive with one hand grasping it all the time but the leather steering wheel does give better grip and can take care of sweaty palms.


Tilt & Telescopic Steering (Tilt only in LT): Useful, but I can live without it. One of my cars has both and the other has neither - I do not miss them.

Power Folding and Heated Outside Mirrors: Neither of my cars have power folding but the L&K has heated mirrors which came in useful when it was freezing outside (AP to AP). Ok, so? Not important unless you live in the Himalayas.

Rear Parking Assist: I love this feature - it pampers and spoils me totally - a must have!

Rain Sensitive Wiper System: Convenient as it means I can drive, handle my soft drink can and smoke at the same time (just kidding). Another feature that spoils you. If however it also adjusts the speed of the wipers according to the amount of rain it can help driving in difficult conditions like poor light/fog + rain and can be a life saver.

Cruise Control: Oh yeah, maybe we can use it in some 20 or 50 years from now when Indian highways are finally rid of cows, goats, pigs riding bicyles and scooters on the wrong side etc. My car has not remained on cruise control for more than 5 minutes as that is the max time before I have to brake (CC goes off if you touch the brakes). In short - a sheer waste.

Intelligent Programmable Passive Entry Passive Start with Push Button Ignition On/Off: Seems like some fancy term cooked up by a marketing guy for what used to be on the Tata & Ashok Leylands - a black button to start the engine and a ring to pull to switch it off. . . . . . totally avoidable unless you had a childhood dream of being a bus driver. The L&K has what the sales girl cutely called 'King and Queen' keys, I gamely told her I would be King and she could be queen and gave her the Queen key, unfortunately (or fortunately) she refused after turning the colour of a beet.

Automatic Inside Rear View Mirror: If it means auto-dimming to eliminate glare - excellent. If it means it gives you an alert if there is a pretty girl behind you - pay 2L extra, if it also gives you a warning when your wife is mad at you pay another 2L, if it only warns you that a cop is following you - pay the fine instead.

Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Dunno abt it - but I like wires (even for my phone's headset) - why surround oneself with extra radiation, waves etc? plus the quality is much better with wires.

Front Fog Lamps: Think of them not as fog lamps but as auxillary driving lights, these lights are great at showing you potholes and low lying objects that can make nasty 'thump-thump' noises from the under-body that can make you squeal in pain when you have to pay for repair. Acc. to me - a must have.

Cutting to the chase - the Cruz is not a sub-compact, it is a compact car so it is time to pamper yourself with a few goodies in life. Having come this far, go the whole hog and pamper yourself.

That would set the stage for pampering yourself with even more goodies when you buy a full-size car, perhaps a M5 or a luxury car - a S class would do nicely.

Go for it - the sun-roof + leather upholstery + park assist etc will make you feel good and will grow on you. I would know, being spoilt by the L&K's seats I put a few tan cows on the seats of my GTX and they set me back a pretty packet.

Cheers and drive safe,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 5th April 2011 at 00:54.
Ravveendrra is offline  
Old 5th April 2011, 14:34   #581
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 7,950 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
fogs/ rear parking assist / leather etc. can be added later. Only things that are hard to add are the sunroof + peps. unless you need them, LTZ doesn't make sense.
+1. After a lot of deliberation, even I had come to this conclusion. But, ofcourse my decision was also conciously driven by budget too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Of the additional features in the 3 alpha version over the 2 alpha one, my take is as follows:

Go for it - the sun-roof + leather upholstery + park assist etc will make you feel good and will grow on you. I would know, being spoilt by the L&K's seats I put a few tan cows on the seats of my GTX and they set me back a pretty packet.
That's a pretty detailed review of haves and have not's Ravvs. However, considering your final advice it did seem a bit contradictory as most of the features except for Sunroof you discounted. Whereas, rest of the other features are either already available in 2011 LT or can be added later on for a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I started my search with 10L in mind But at the same time I firmly believe in the fact that If i do something I better do it fully now than repent later (hence the don't mind spending statement) as I dont plan to do any change for atleast the next 7-8 years. Reading all the posts, it looks like the the 2011 LT version is the way to go. I will be going for test drive soon & will keep you guys posted.
Well, if your in same bracket as me in terms of starting budget. I would recommend you to go for LT and use the saved money for :-

1.Fog Lamps ( Mandatory)
2. Leather Seats ( Your personal preference)
3. Caska ( Your personal preference)
4. Tyre upgrade ( Mandatory)

My thought process was saved money will take care of my ownership cost for 2.5 years atleast

Assuming 11kmpl as fuel average. Here is a simple math :-

1500kms/Month/12 Months = 18,000kms/year

18,000kms/11kmpl*45/Litre = Rs.74,000/year * 2.5 years = 1.80 L + 20,000 for service cost

To summarize and repeat myself, if you can spare the additional 2 lakhs, then go for LTZ. Else, stick to LT

Goodluck and do share the final decision with us soon.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th April 2011 at 14:35.
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th April 2011, 20:45   #582
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
. . .
That's a pretty detailed review of haves and have not's Ravvs. However, considering your final advice it did seem a bit contradictory as most of the features except for Sunroof you discounted. Whereas, rest of the other features are either already available in 2011 LT or can be added later on for a price.
. . . . .

.
IMHO the must haves are: rear parking sensors, fog lamps, leather seats and sun-roof. A useful item is the rain-sensor wipers.

Each one of them can be fitted later except the rain sensitive wipers. Also one can perhaps get deals on the after-market stuff. The problem is that fitting them later means a cut and splice job esp with the sun-roof and parking sensors (the OE stuff should display the results in-dash and play the sounds through the ICE getting the after market stuff to do that would be a herculean task). Also the cost of them in the aftermarket is more than the price difference between the 2 alpha and the 3 alpha. Just the sun-roof and pure leather seats will cover the price difference between the LT & LTZ.

I do wish Chevy offered more than just the 2 front airbags, at least as an optional extra.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline  
Old 6th April 2011, 07:49   #583
BHPian
 
SubuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

I wouldn't classify the sunroof as a must have - you can't even use it for its purpose most of the time in India (And the waft of freshness out of your windows is exactly the same and more convenient considering the roof buttons are mounted in places which will require a lot more fiddling / concentration to operate).

Think of the 1.8L as a luxury tax. (Stuff like fogs / rear sensors can be fitted later, but they also mean the dealer can claim you have null'ed your electrical warranty). Same with leathers - they come with company warranty. It is upto you to decide whether you wanna spend it or not.
SubuS is offline  
Old 6th April 2011, 12:18   #584
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 181
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
I wouldn't classify the sunroof as a must have - you can't even use it for its purpose most of the time in India (And the waft of freshness out of your windows is exactly the same and more convenient considering the roof buttons are mounted in places which will require a lot more fiddling / concentration to operate).
Completely agree though I have it in my cruze I dont miss it by any means in my civic or accord,I can use it only on 3 occasions:-
1)When there's a surprisingly overcast day in Delhi (then also generally the moonroof if the temperature is high)
2)Late night drives:-This is when I actually open the roof regularly
3)When I go to the Himalayas )Once or twice atmost in a year)
Quote:
Think of the 1.8L as a luxury tax. (Stuff like fogs / rear sensors can be fitted later, but they also mean the dealer can claim you have null'ed your electrical warranty). Same with leathers - they come with company warranty. It is upto you to decide whether you wanna spend it or not.
There's no point voiding your warranty on a brand new car and in 1.8 Lakhs you get features worth more than the same though some of the features are not necessary.
np23 is offline  
Old 8th April 2011, 15:09   #585
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 7,950 Times
Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

It's been quite a while that I shared some latest pictures of WA with you all. So here are some pictures taken a couple of weeks ago during the Team-BHP drive on Nagpur highway.

There was also no instance of any videos of WA in action till date as I dont beileve in meddling with either a phone or camera while driving as safety has always been a top priority for me.

This time it was solely possible due to a nice video recording equipement in a fellow tbhpian's Baleno which was installed on dashboard to record un-interruptedly whilst driving.

Keep tuned for these videos in next post

P.S: Temparatures in hyderabad is soaring tremendously and we are already hovering around 40C which brings me to an important point. I dont think i am too happy with the performance of the air-conditoner of Cruze as I always keep the blower on 3 and even then i am not happy. It does cool the cabin but, isnt as chilling as it should be. Heck, comparitively my i10 is cooling faster and is much more chilling than the Cruze. Not sure whether its something wrong with my particular car or all Cruze's are duds in AC performance.

I absolutely love the side profile of the Cruze

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-dsc_70521.jpg <br />
Me with my WA. I know need to lose a lot of weight<img src=

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-img_0688.jpg <br /> <br /> <img src=Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-img_2987.jpg <br /> <a href=Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-img_2985.jpg <br />
Team BHP cars. This drive meet attracted a total of 17 cars<br /> <br /> <a href=Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-img_2970.jpg <br /> <a href=Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!-img_2969.jpg   <div style=
mobike008 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic ;UPDATE : 77,000kms completed !!! narendra_urs Long-Term Ownership Reviews 187 9th April 2016 23:16
My new Chevrolet Cruze in White! EDIT : PICS on Page 2 SubuS Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 124 23rd May 2012 15:17
My White Boomerang has Arrived - The Maruti Ritz Pumpy_Raj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 24th February 2012 15:51
I chose to Cruze, with a white Cruze LTZ ajay mathew Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 16th June 2010 15:13
Little Spark of Happiness has arrived - Chevrolet Spark LT JRD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 15th November 2008 13:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks