Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2011, 15:38   #586
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Temparatures in hyderabad is soaring tremendously and we are already hovering around 40C which brings me to an important point. I dont think i am too happy with the performance of the air-conditoner of Cruze as I always keep the blower on 3 and even then i am not happy. It does cool the cabin but, isnt as chilling as it should be. Heck, comparitively my i10 is cooling faster and is much more chilling than the Cruze. Not sure whether its something wrong with my particular car or all Cruze's are duds in AC performance.
Probably because your i10 AC has less volume to cool, than the huge interior of the Cruze.

Ensure that you use the "circulate" function of the AC more than the "fresh air" function and also check there's no gas leak from the ac compressor or anywhere in the air vents. Blower constantly on 3 is not an effective AC. I keep my Fiesta's blower on 1 and still feel cold.

Any more updates and feedback on 'Kate' ?
Old 8th April 2011, 15:55   #587
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: Completed 63,500kms !!!

Quote:
P.S: Temparatures in hyderabad is soaring tremendously and we are already hovering around 40C which brings me to an important point. I dont think i am too happy with the performance of the air-conditoner of Cruze as I always keep the blower on 3 and even then i am not happy. It does cool the cabin but, isnt as chilling as it should be. Heck, comparitively my i10 is cooling faster and is much more chilling than the Cruze. Not sure whether its something wrong with my particular car or all Cruze's are duds in AC performance.
I suggest you get the temperature at the vent checked. It ideally should be about 11.5-12 deg. If its higher, time to check the amount of gas in the circuit. Also if it has a particulate filter, time to clean it as well if not already done.
Old 8th April 2011, 17:14   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Probably because your i10 AC has less volume to cool, than the huge interior of the Cruze. Ensure that you use the "circulate" function of the AC more than the "fresh air" function and also check there's no gas leak from the ac compressor or anywhere in the air vents. Blower constantly on 3 is not an effective AC. I keep my Fiesta's blower on 1 and still feel cold.
Firstly, I am a hot blooded guy ( Literally) and I cannot stand heat and my description or requirement of coldness is slightly different from others. For e.g during delhi winters I dont mind just wearing a tee. In Shimla, perhaps a light sweater.

Considering above, my expectations from AC are bit more demanding than the average customer. And, after starting the car, I always open windows and with fresh air more for 2 minutes before rolling up the window and switching on AC and is always on 'Circulate" mode.

I dont think the large cabin area is a good reason ( especially for GM)

Quote:
Any more updates and feedback on 'Kate' ?
As you know its actual purpose. Will try to sum up a brief experience with Kate in a few days without divulging too many details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I suggest you get the temperature at the vent checked. It ideally should be about 11.5-12 deg. If its higher, time to check the amount of gas in the circuit. Also if it has a particulate filter, time to clean it as well if not already done.
I am too lazy to go to A.S.S. It's bearable for April but, may not be for May. Then would pay a visit to A.S.S

Here are some videos of Cruze in motion which is almost like a rembrandt creation on the wall.

Note, the car was fully loaded with 4 passengers and was sprinting away to glory.

1. Some view of the Nagpur highway and all cars you see are tbhp cars

2. Smokin' Cruze

3. Be it a Cruze or a Beemer. Upon hard accelaration smoke is inevitable

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th April 2011 at 17:16.
Old 8th April 2011, 17:53   #589
Senior - BHPian

Nice videos there.

The videos were taken from the baleno? Or was it the Octy vRS?
Old 8th April 2011, 23:08   #590
BHPian

Nice videos / pics - I was in Hyd for about 7 years, so I know what you are talking about I used to feel completely nauseated if I had to enter my jeep when it was parked in the sun. At least chennai has a lot of humidity (hence makes me sweat it out), so I guess i am faring a bit better here. But yeah - I will take hyd anyday over chennai
Old 9th April 2011, 09:47   #591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The videos were taken from the baleno? Or was it the Octy vRS?
Thanks. As mentioned in my post, it was taken from the Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
But yeah - I will take hyd anyday over chennai
Absolutely, there is no comparison of humid cities like Chennai, Vizag with Hyderabad. I can stand the dry weather of Hyderabad but, never the humid conditions of a place like chennai. I reckon it's just a matter of getting used to a certain weather condition.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:27   #592
BHPian

but i was worried about the same thing (humidity etc) before moving to Chennai - I guess it grows on you.

RE: your hot blooded comment: Actually you should be cold blooded to realize heat and ignore cold If you are hot blooded, chills will affect you the most. (Again - these words are not in the literal sense). The way I got over it was to just hang out and sweat it out in the sun for a few days. Then it grows on you.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:03   #593
Senior - BHPian

Default Air con filters

Quote:
Does the Cruz come with an air filter in the air-con system? The marketing guys will call it a 'pollen filter' or something just as fancy.

If it does, clean it (a DIY). The filter will be somewhere under the dash.

If that does not help, time to get a warranty replacement.

P.S.: Hyundai is now a maker of excellent cars, having learnt the ropes well. It would be unfair to compare products from the old Daewoo facilities with a Hyundai.
Old 9th April 2011, 21:00   #594
BHPian

Just got back from the Chevy showroom. Checked out the All Black Interior LTZ Model and heres my take-

1. Black Leather on the Seats only, the rest of the interiors carry the old colors. Overall Combo of colors not bad at all.
2. Overall interior quality the same as before and personally its not that bad. Yes, the competitors have better overall quality.
3. The New Model has USB and Bluetooth but only to stream music from ones phone ! I dont get the deal with that? Do people really stream music from there phones? Are there Bluetooth Compatibility issues like the Iphone and Blackberry Limited Bluetooth Pairing?
4. The Screen has horrible quality Dot Matrix Display ! Wish they has used an LED Display here.

Brilliant Car overall. Im really tempted to buy one and im convinced no other car offers more for the money.... But But.. Cant get myself to shift my loyalties from Honda to Chevy ! The Sport in me says its a fast awesome car and the brand conscious me says its a Chevy !! (and a daewoo in disguise).
Old 10th April 2011, 10:12   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I keep my Fiesta's blower on 1 and still feel cold.
Same here. Only in peak summer do I use position 2 for a short while.

@mobike008---I think this is the first feedback on this forum on the AC of the Cruze, though there are scores of them on the i-20.

As somebody suggested, please have your AC checked up before temperatures rise.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:43   #596
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
3. The New Model has USB and Bluetooth but only to stream music from ones phone ! I dont get the deal with that? Do people really stream music from there phones? Are there Bluetooth Compatibility issues like the Iphone and Blackberry Limited Bluetooth Pairing?
I am not sure what you mean by that. I do play music using a pen drive. I have never tried connecting the phone to the ICE so far. I do not have bluetooth connectivity though, since I have LT and bluetooth connectivity is not available on LT

@Avinash: When I set the temperature to 22, it really chills the cabin real soon and it is in peak afternoon. This is when I do no even have tints on my windows. So I guess the AC is working good for me so far. I strongly suggest that you get it checked by the Chevy guys.
Old 10th April 2011, 20:06   #597
BHPian

Hi i was talking about the bluetooth only available on the car to stream music. The Bluetooth does not have the phone functions which are available on the Cruze models overseas.

The USB is ofcourse meant for Connecting Pen drives, Ipods etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
I am not sure what you mean by that. I do play music using a pen drive. I have never tried connecting the phone to the ICE so far. I do not have bluetooth connectivity though, since I have LT and bluetooth connectivity is not available on LT

@Avinash: When I set the temperature to 22, it really chills the cabin real soon and it is in peak afternoon. This is when I do no even have tints on my windows. So I guess the AC is working good for me so far. I strongly suggest that you get it checked by the Chevy guys.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:27   #598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
P.S.: Hyundai is now a maker of excellent cars, having learnt the ropes well. It would be unfair to compare products from the old Daewoo facilities with a Hyundai.
I have owned 3 brand new Hyundai cars from last 7+ years and I surely consider myself as an expert on Hyundai products and services to some extent and my comparison was based on these real-time experiences.

With regards to Hyundai making good products, I do agree but, at the same time GM products cannot be discounted as almost each of it's product are really good ones ( except maybe for UA-A and Aveo) and comparable to other popular brands but, sole reason for them not clicking in our country is because of their lack of everything ( marketing, pricing and brand value).

But, with Beat, Captiva and especially Cruze, lot of these deficient qualities have "already" changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Sport in me says its a fast awesome car and the brand conscious me says its a Chevy !! (and a daewoo in disguise).
I am slightly surprised by your comment. Are you saying Chevrolet Cruze is in anyway inferior to say a Honda Civic in terms of brand consiousness? I dont think so.

Cruze looks, drives, feels equally premium if not better than a Civic. It attracts lot more attention from passerby's than any other car in its segment or below, could be partly because its relatively a new product. But, VFM-wise its way ahead of a Civic.

If you buy cars simply for reason of it's brand value. Then you better start considering other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@mobike008---I think this is the first feedback on this forum on the AC of the Cruze, though there are scores of them on the i-20. As somebody suggested, please have your AC checked up before temperatures rise.
Unfortuately, looks like there is something wrong with my AC. I tested it again during peak afternoon and its chill factor is not what I would like it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
Glad to know that. Then there is something wrong with my car

KUN has a free summer camp from April 15-April 17 to check on just such issues. Will call up my friendly SA and set up a time with them tomorrow.

Cheerio!
Old 15th April 2011, 10:27   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. . . at the same time GM products cannot be discounted as almost each of it's product are really good ones ( except maybe for UA-A and Aveo) and comparable to other popular brands but, sole reason for them not clicking in our country is because of their lack of everything ( marketing, pricing and brand value).

But, with Beat, Captiva and especially Cruze, lot of these deficient qualities have "already" changed.

. . .

I am slightly surprised by your comment. Are you saying Chevrolet Cruze is in anyway inferior to say a Honda Civic in terms of brand consiousness? I dont think so.

. . .
Cheerio!
I remember the Opel Astra (in both petrol and Diesel forms) and it was THE car of it's day. Unfortunately, at that time my pocket did not permit me to buy one so I went in for an Opel Corsa 1.6 instead. It was a fantastic car with some great features. Quality was really excellent. I do miss it sometimes. I think the problem began with its perceived lack of FE and its premium pricing when the order of the day was LCC (Low Cost Car) with FE of a bullock-cart. It's undersquare block did not help as it was not quick off the mark but, take it on the highway and the car would purr along all day with some great grunt to overtake easily. Unfortunately, GM did not continue with that kind of quality in later products.

About branding and brand value - all I can say is: Too often, it is a result of marketing exercise(s) and has no relation with, or bearing to, the product in question.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:55   #600
Team-BHP Support

AC Update

During this week, received a call and a few texts that KUN CHEVROLET is conducting a summer camp to check up on basics for its customer to have a trouble free ride during this summers. Decided its high time to get the AC problem checked.

Was there at 9:30AM and to my luck, there was just a few cars and mine was attended quickly and taken for the check.

After waiting for 20-30 minutes, I was told, the problem is solved. The AC filter was jammed so they opened, cleaned and replaced. Now, its back to its chilling self.

Along with that they also topped all liquids and filled nitrogen and gave the car a good wash with interior vaccuming and dashboard polish too.

While waiting, they insisted twice to enjoy their free offer of a liquid (pic below) so had a couple of them due to their double insistence

Best part is everything was FREE.....Chevy and KUN rocks!!!
Attached Images

Closed Thread