Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 28th February 2012, 16:48   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Wow!! 25K kms, in how much time Pandeyji ? 1.5 or 2 years?
I just finished 25K on my car in 3 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1.5 years Pal!!!
You need to spend more time driving Manish, Seriously
I clocked 20K in my Santro today, that too exactly in 15 Months and that too with City Driving.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:54   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
I am happy to report the brakes still perform amazingly well and there is not even a single symptom of the brake bads being on its last legs.
I remember you saying that you felt a loss of bite from the brakes (this was just before I moved out of Hyd, when we were checking out the CR70 on BQ). Did you get that looked into back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
When I depress the clutch and engage the gear and leave the clutch, there is slight "kat" sound. This sound emanates each time I dis-engage the clutch.
Nothing to worry. Just a little loss of lubrication. There's no need of any special liquid. Any old lubricating oil will do. By the way, leaving the clutch pedal amounts to *engaging* the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau
LOL!! No way!! I am fine with the pace I am going on.
For a PETROL car I am doing good.
My BQ (a Civic) and WA are pretty much in lock-step. WA is 2-3 days older. So that's 25k kms in 1 yr 7 months for a petrol here, although I feel I have under-used my car to the extent of 7k kms as-on-date. The odo should ideally have been reading closer to 32k kms.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th February 2012, 10:54   #843
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
we will spray a special liquid for this purpose which will eradicate that noise.
That "Special Liquid" in all likelyhood is WD-40 or its derivative. Keep a can handy at home, it is mightly useful in eliminating small squeaks everywhere.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 11:09   #844
Senior - BHPian

last on mobike's thread.

Lol!! you guys are making me bad about the average 8k km annually on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I clocked 20K in my Santro today, that too exactly in 15 Months and that too with City Driving.
Nikhil, your car runs on ORR. The FE and driving fun, plus the longer distance you commute adds upto your Odo , I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
My BQ (a Civic) and WA are pretty much in lock-step. WA is 2-3 days older. So that's 25k kms in 1 yr 7 months for a petrol here, although I feel I have under-used my car to the extent of 7k kms as-on-date. The odo should ideally have been reading closer to 32k kms.
My daily average run is around 24kms, that too only from November last year. Before that it was hardly 14kms. Last year was dull in terms of long trip, but still managed 8k kms. The year before I did 12k kms .

Looks like I need some support here, Venu Sir(vnabhi) where art thou?
Old 29th February 2012, 14:57   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
last on mobike's thread.

Lol!! you guys are making me bad about the average 8k km annually on my car.

Nikhil, your car runs on ORR. The FE and driving fun, plus the longer distance you commute adds upto your Odo , I feel.

My daily average run is around 24kms, that too only from November last year. Before that it was hardly 14kms. Last year was dull in terms of long trip, but still managed 8k kms. The year before I did 12k kms .

Looks like I need some support here, Venu Sir(vnabhi) where art thou?
@Fordmanchou--your usage is abysmally low. You gotta use the car more, like I do ---31 K already on the odo. Don't ask in how many years
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:43   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Update ( Pre-25,000kms Service) :-

Have just returned from a 1600kms trip to goa couple of days back and my current odometer reading is 25,000kms.
Hey, congrats on reaching 25k kms . With Cruze you tend to crunch more miles anyways. My Cruze's odometer has just touched 14k kms in 13 months.

My Cruze has an issue with the right hand side (front) brake caliper. The caliper sends out a "clang" noise whenever the car is driven on roads with small undulations. Not sure whether any other Cruze owners have come across such an issue. The right side caliper is a bit shaky compared to the left side one. This issue cropped up during a trip of 2100kms a couple of months ago. This has in no way affected the braking capabilities of the car and I believe it is one of the best in C+ segment cars. I took the car to the service centre to check it and the service guys fixed it saying it was just a loose caliper. After a week or so, the noise came back. I'm not sure whether it is a safety issue to drive the car with a shaky caliper. Do you guys think I should insist the service guys to replace the caliper or should I allow them to repair it again? Do you think this issue has anything to do with the tyre air pressure? I usually fill up Nitrogen to 34psi though the company recommends 32psi.
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:19   #847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I remember you saying that you felt a loss of bite from the brakes (this was just before I moved out of Hyd, when we were checking out the CR70 on BQ). Did you get that looked into back then?
I just got the wheel alignment and balance done from Mohan Chandra and the brakes felt as good as day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Where have you fitted the tweeters on the B-pillar? Could you please post the pic of the same
As requested, picture posted below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That "Special Liquid" in all likelyhood is WD-40 or its derivative. Keep a can handy at home, it is mightly useful in eliminating small squeaks everywhere.
So where else do you think this liquid can be used for squeaking noise? I think only for metal related components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerman View Post
My Cruze has an issue with the right hand side (front) brake caliper. The caliper sends out a "clang" noise whenever the car is driven on roads with small undulations. Not sure whether any other Cruze owners have come across such an issue. The right side caliper is a bit shaky compared to the left side one.
I have some other problem which was diagnosed during a casual conversation. Details below!

Quote:
Do you think this issue has anything to do with the tyre air pressure? I usually fill up Nitrogen to 34psi though the company recommends 32psi.
Please stick to 32PSI maximum. This is the maximum I set on my Cruze till date and even 32PSI makes the ride a bit harsher

Service Update DONE on Feb 29, 2012 (25,000kms) : Total Cost : Rs. 3525

1. Brake Pads : Top priority asked them to check the brake pads and replace if required. To my utter surprise the SM called me in afternoon and said they are absolutely fine and you can easily run for another 5000kms if not more. He mentioned they plan to only clean the pads and put it back. Cost was some Rs. 300++

2. Decarbonisation : They asked me to get this done and should be done each 25000kms it seems. This process will remove excess carbon from fuel system, pistions, valves etc. Rs. 1500 was the cost

3. Clutch spring noise taken care of.

Other cost included pollution check done and bought a bottle of System D

After 25,000kms. My Cruze maintenance cost stands at 0.58/Km (Including the wheel alignment and balance cost which is yet to be done)

ATTENTION CRUZE OWNERS (March 3rd, 2012)

Today morning, I dropped into service center to get a free nitrogen top up done which they forgot to do last time around. And, while talking to my service manager ( Sampath Reddy) who is a brilliant person, I mentioned there is a light wheezing noise ( can be heard if you hear very carefully) while car moves back in reverse gear to which he immediately told me good you highlighted this problem

According to him, GM has asked all dealers to immediately replace the brake caliper dampners for rear brakes for both wheels if any customer complains of same for FREE OF COST

Now wait to hear the cost

Each brake caliper damper set costs a whopping Rs.27,000 on each wheel

He immediately ordered for my free replacement set and asked me to drop in next wednesday for this replacement.

I cant stop loving KUN Dealership for their out of this world service and personal attention !!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd March 2012 at 13:23.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:23   #848
anb
BHPian

Quote:
My Cruze has an issue with the right hand side (front) brake caliper. The caliper sends out a "clang" noise whenever the car is driven on roads with small undulations. Not sure whether any other Cruze owners have come across such an issue. The right side caliper is a bit shaky compared to the left side one. This issue cropped up during a trip of 2100kms a couple of months ago.
This is a common problem with old cruze. Ask the service centre to replace the caliper assembly for free. New Cruze comes with modified Brake caliper and pin. There was a mismatch between the brake caliper pins outer diameter and the inner diameter of the brake caliper hole.
anb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:58   #849
BHPian

Quote:
After 25,000kms. My Cruze maintenance cost stands at 0.58/Km (Including the wheel alignment and balance cost which is yet to be done)
Good to know

Quote:
I mentioned there is a light wheezing noise ( can be heard if you hear very carefully) while car moves back in reverse gear.
According to him, GM has asked all dealers to immediately replace the brake caliper dampners for rear brakes for both wheels if any customer complains of same for FREE OF COST.
Each brake caliper damper set costs a whopping Rs.27,000 on each wheel.
Do you know till what manufacturing dates cars were afflicted with this problem? Ie...when did they rectify it?
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:38   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Please stick to 32PSI maximum. This is the maximum I set on my Cruze till date and even 32PSI makes the ride a bit harsher
Thank you, mobike. I will stick to 32psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
This is a common problem with old cruze. Ask the service centre to replace the caliper assembly for free. New Cruze comes with modified Brake caliper and pin. There was a mismatch between the brake caliper pins outer diameter and the inner diameter of the brake caliper hole.
Thanks for the info, mate. My Cruze is 2010 Dec make. So, I guess it falls in the older batch. I will ask the service centre to replace the caliper. Hopefully it will solve the issue.

How accurate are the fuel efficiency info on Cruze's MID? I got a surprising figure of 18.6 kmpl a couple of weeks ago while on a 200km drive (the previous best was 17.5 kmpl a few months ago). This time I was driving with 50% a/c off and stayed on 4th and 5th gears mostly and never crossed 80 kmph. Will this increase the fuel efficiency to such an extent? In bumper to bumper traffic, I get around 10-11 kmpl though.
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:08   #851
anb
BHPian

Quote:
How accurate are the fuel efficiency info on Cruze's MID? I got a surprising figure of 18.6 kmpl a couple of weeks ago while on a 200km drive (the previous best was 17.5 kmpl a few months ago). This time I was driving with 50% a/c off and stayed on 4th and 5th gears mostly and never crossed 80 kmph. Will this increase the fuel efficiency to such an extent?
18.6 Kmpl. Were you driving downhill? I tried the same kind of on a level load last time. Got 15.1 Kmpl. I think the actual FE is FE in MID minus 0.5 - 1 Kmpl.
Old 4th March 2012, 00:16   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got the wheel alignment and balance done from Mohan Chandra and the brakes felt as good as day 1
Makes sense.

Quote:
So where else do you think this liquid can be used for squeaking noise? I think only for metal related components
May be metal components, mostly, with a few other applications here and there. I remember reading a story (here on TBHP, if I'm not mistaken) of a Fiesta whose driver's side power window developed an issue. F.A.S.S. said the entire power window assembly must be replaced and it would cost a few thousands. The owner went to the friendly neighbourhood mechanic who opened up the door panel, sprayed some WD40 and the mechanism was back to being as good as new.

Quote:
2. Decarbonisation : They asked me to get this done and should be done each 25000kms it seems. This process will remove excess carbon from fuel system, pistions, valves etc. Rs. 1500 was the cost
A decarb every 25k kms! Maybe because it's diesel. But at 1500 it hardly moves the needle. I remember back in the days of 2-stroke two-wheelers decarbs were a major maintenance activity every ~60k kms and used to cost a fair bit too.

Quote:
According to him, GM has asked all dealers to immediately replace the brake caliper dampners for rear brakes for both wheels if any customer complains of same for FREE OF COST
Is this a formal recall or an activity to be performed only on those vehicles whose owners complain about the noise? Also, does this affect only Indian Cruzes? I'm sure you may have seen this news on the other Cruze forums by now if that isn't the case.

Quote:
I cant stop loving KUN Dealership for their out of this world service and personal attention !!!!
Seriously, hats off to GM and Kun!

Sometimes H.A.S.S. makes me wonder if I made the right choice with Honda. I'm sick and tired of their nonchalance, carelessness, and absolute ineptitude when it comes to addressing complaints with an effort to eliminate them. There have been two or three minor complaints which I have been experiencing every day over the last 14 months, but they can't reproduce it, and can't fix it when I reproduce it for them. They just can't handle anything more than the extremely routine stuff, and don't even make an attempt to get better. This is the case when volumes at their service centres are still low. I wonder what will happen when the Jazzes and Brios start coming in in numbers. I hope they learn something from GM before they slide even further.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th March 2012, 00:28   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...clean the pads and put it back. Cost was some Rs. 300++
What's the cost of new pads?

Quote:
. Decarbonisation : They asked me to get this done and should be done each 25000kms it seems. This process will remove excess carbon from fuel system, pistions, valves etc. Rs. 1500 was the cost
How frequently do you change engine oil? What did they do for the decarb - was it the use of an engine flush?
Old 4th March 2012, 11:15   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
18.6 Kmpl. Were you driving downhill? I tried the same kind of on a level load last time. Got 15.1 Kmpl. I think the actual FE is FE in MID minus 0.5 - 1 Kmpl.
No, I was not driving downhill. I was surprised too. I guess with a light foot and high gears, it's possible.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:46   #855
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What's the cost of new pads?
Front Brake pads Rs. 6431/- Rear ones Rs.7882/-
anb is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread