Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 09:41   #856
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,948 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Do you know till what manufacturing dates cars were afflicted with this problem? Ie...when did they rectify it?
There is no mention of any manafacturer date period but, is to be rectified ONLY if a customer complains

Mine was not even a complain but just a casual discussion with the service manager ( which I am thankful for having brought up) as it was such a light noise it can be heard only if you concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
A decarb every 25k kms! Maybe because it's diesel. But at 1500 it hardly moves the needle. I remember back in the days of 2-stroke two-wheelers decarbs were a major maintenance activity every ~60k kms and used to cost a fair bit too.
This again was a suggestion from SM. No hard selling. He said, it would be good if you get it done. I went for it !


Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Is this a formal recall or an activity to be performed only on those vehicles whose owners complain about the noise? Also, does this affect only Indian Cruzes? I'm sure you may have seen this news on the other Cruze forums by now if that isn't the case.
Not a formal recall. Only based on specific complaints. According to SM, they already did it for about 20-25 Cruzes in their dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Seriously, hats off to GM and Kun!
Yes, I just can't beileve they are so honest. Just take the example of brake pads. Any other fleecing dealer would have insisted to change the pads by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How frequently do you change engine oil? What did they do for the decarb - was it the use of an engine flush?
Engine Oil change like all contemprary diesel engines are scheduled every 15,000kms.

They did use a engine flush to rinse out carbon from all major components. Didnt ask the brand or type of flush they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Front Brake pads Rs. 6431/- Rear ones Rs.7882/-
14K for a set of brake pads. Man, I am lucky that this cost has eluded me till date
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th March 2012, 10:51   #857
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Engine Oil change like all contemprary diesel engines are scheduled every 15,000kms.
They did use a engine flush to rinse out carbon from all major components. Didnt ask the brand or type of flush they used.
14K for a set of brake pads. Man, I am lucky that this cost has eluded me till date
It would make eminently more sense to change the engine oil at 7,500 km rather than at 15,000 km, and completely skip the engine flush / decarb procedure. I presume you are not using synthetic engine oil.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 5th March 2012, 11:28   #858
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So where else do you think this liquid can be used for squeaking noise? I think only for metal related components
Squeaking door locks, tight keyholes, children's pull back toys, hinges, suitcase locks, glovebox hinges, nuts which are hard to open due to dust, grime etc, the list goes on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. Brake Pads : Top priority asked them to check the brake pads and replace if required. To my utter surprise the SM called me in afternoon and said they are absolutely fine and you can easily run for another 5000kms if not more. He mentioned they plan to only clean the pads and put it back. Cost was some Rs. 300++
This is nice. At every paid service, M&M does something called OCA Brakes and OCA stands for Open, Clean and Assemble. This costs INR 900.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
2. Decarbonisation : They asked me to get this done and should be done each 25000kms it seems. This process will remove excess carbon from fuel system, pistions, valves etc. Rs. 1500 was the cost

3. Clutch spring noise taken care of.

Other cost included pollution check done and bought a bottle of System D
Decarb is good, but can you tell us how it was done at Kun? Most dealers fleece customers in its name.

I strongly recommend System-D. It improves FE by at least 1 km/ltr in Hariya when used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
According to him, GM has asked all dealers to immediately replace the brake caliper dampners for rear brakes for both wheels if any customer complains of same for FREE OF COST

Now wait to hear the cost

Each brake caliper damper set costs a whopping Rs.27,000 on each wheel
Shouldn't this have been a standard retrofit/recall instead of waiting for customers to complain and then get it replaced?
n.devdath is online now  
Old 5th March 2012, 13:33   #859
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,948 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It would make eminently more sense to change the engine oil at 7,500 km rather than at 15,000 km, and completely skip the engine flush / decarb procedure. I presume you are not using synthetic engine oil.
Sirji, these days all C-segment if not lower diesel engined cars come stock with synthetic oil. Cruze comes with synthetic as stock and replacements are all synthetic only.

One of the prime reason for such a longer period of oil change is due to usage of SO instead of MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is nice. At every paid service, M&M does something called OCA Brakes and OCA stands for Open, Clean and Assemble. This costs INR 900.00
I think this is what they did to my brakes. Open, Clean and put it back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Decarb is good, but can you tell us how it was done at Kun? Most dealers fleece customers in its name.
Like I mentioned, didnt delve into details. Will check this procedure out when I meet this this weekend for the brake caliper dampner replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I strongly recommend System-D. It improves FE by at least 1 km/ltr in Hariya when used.
Nice to know that. 250ML should last for 5 tankfuls, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Shouldn't this have been a standard retrofit/recall instead of waiting for customers to complain and then get it replaced?
They specifically mentioned this problem will not effect the braking capability in any way and not effected to all Cruzes. Therefore, being done on customer complaints only ( atleast as of now)
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th March 2012, 13:39   #860
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice to know that. 250ML should last for 5 tankfuls, correct?
The standard dosage is 1ml/litre, though I use a slightly higher 1.25ml/litre on Hariya since he stands at 70k kms now.
n.devdath is online now  
Old 5th March 2012, 13:41   #861
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Nice to know that. 250ML should last for 5 tankfuls, correct?
The norm is 1 ML per litre. In my Fiesta, I normally put 20 ML for 20 litres of petrol.

BTW, I have not used System G for the past 3 months, so does anyone know where it is available in central Hyderabad? I don't want to drive all the way to Mody Ford to buy it.
vnabhi is offline  
Old 5th March 2012, 13:44   #862
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW, I have not used System G for the past 3 months, so does anyone know where it is available in central Hyderabad? I don't want to drive all the way to Mody Ford to buy it.
Again, I have seen in Fortune Ford Service centre at Tolichowki that they stock lot of System G's.
You might as well can pick it up from there.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 13:56   #863
Senior - BHPian
 
himanshugoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: !!!!
Posts: 2,006
Thanked: 1,018 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The norm is 1 ML per litre. In my Fiesta, I normally put 20 ML for 20 litres of petrol.

BTW, I have not used System G for the past 3 months, so does anyone know where it is available in central Hyderabad? I don't want to drive all the way to Mody Ford to buy it.
Venu Bhai, any BP Pure for Sure pump should stock it. I buy mine from a petrol pump only
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 14:03   #864
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,739
Thanked: 7,948 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The standard dosage is 1ml/litre, though I use a slightly higher 1.25ml/litre on Hariya since he stands at 70k kms now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The norm is 1 ML per litre. In my Fiesta, I normally put 20 ML for 20 litres of petrol.
Seems like we all are in perfect synchronization. 5 Tankfuls = 250 litres.

Therefore, a bottle will last 5 tankfuls

Btw, this will be my first time ever that I will use an additive
mobike008 is offline  
Old 5th March 2012, 15:34   #865
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Seems like we all are in perfect synchronization. 5 Tankfuls = 250 litres.

Therefore, a bottle will last 5 tankfuls

Btw, this will be my first time ever that I will use an additive
In reality it will last you for around 8 to 10 tankfuls, as you wont be emptying your fuel tank before tanking up at the bunk.
vnabhi is offline  
Old 6th March 2012, 09:56   #866
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 20,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sirji, ...
You sound condescending.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 6th March 2012, 14:30   #867
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I strongly recommend System-D. It improves FE by at least 1 km/ltr in Hariya when used.
Isn't premium fuel supposed to have similar additives?

Is System-D + Regular fuel better than using premium fuel?

I have noticed cars, even more so diesels, run better on premium fuel (usually BP) - better FE, smoother, bit more power, pick up a bit better from a lower RPM.
Poitive is offline  
Old 6th March 2012, 14:52   #868
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Isn't premium fuel supposed to have similar additives?

Is System-D + Regular fuel better than using premium fuel?

I have noticed cars, even more so diesels, run better on premium fuel (usually BP) - better FE, smoother, bit more power, pick up a bit better from a lower RPM.
Ideally yes, but for Hariya, Sys-D plus regular fuel gives me better results than premium fuel.

Also, excess additives, be it as Sys-D or as continuous premium fuel are also known to cause damage to rubber parts in nozzles since they are basically detergents and hence I use Sys-D once every 2 tanks to keep the innards clean.
n.devdath is online now  
Old 6th March 2012, 16:36   #869
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, this will be my first time ever that I will use an additive
Don't!

There is a major debate on TBHP and various other technical which have proved that additives don't help. As a matter of fact, no company personnel (not ASC) will give you in writing that they recommend any fuel additives. The same goes for Decarbonisation especially on any vehicle less than 5 years or 1Lakh Kms old. And especially if you are using synthetic oil. The present generation oils are highly capable of flushing out the carbon themselves and you don't extra decarb.

As regards to Brake Pad cleaning, I just wrote on another forum and am writing here again: Most workshops (ASC as well as FNG) use emery paper to rub the face of the disk pad. This is an absolute no-no and can lead to scoring marks onthe disk. Well helps the ASC as sometime later you'll be asked to change the disk as well along with the pad. The best way to clean the brakes (not required but if at all you want) is to use some compressed air. That's it!

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 17:19   #870
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 25,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Don't!

There is a major debate on TBHP and various other technical which have proved that additives don't help. As a matter of fact, no company personnel (not ASC) will give you in writing that they recommend any fuel additives.
Cheers
I'm not sure about GM cars, but the Ford Fiesta manual recommends system G for petrol cars, and System D for diesels.
vnabhi is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Highway Star - Chevrolet Cruze Automatic ;UPDATE : 77,000kms completed !!! narendra_urs Long-Term Ownership Reviews 187 9th April 2016 23:16
My new Chevrolet Cruze in White! EDIT : PICS on Page 2 SubuS Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 124 23rd May 2012 15:17
My White Boomerang has Arrived - The Maruti Ritz Pumpy_Raj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 13 24th February 2012 15:51
I chose to Cruze, with a white Cruze LTZ ajay mathew Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 16th June 2010 15:13
Little Spark of Happiness has arrived - Chevrolet Spark LT JRD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 15th November 2008 13:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks