Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st March 2011, 14:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 1.3 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counti

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
My advice to my friends is also similar "Take care of your CAR/Bike ,only then it will take care of you" I have noticed many times that people do not give the vehicles for service on time,leave on time they dont even bother about it and it breaks down one fine day.

How is the pick up after 1L kms (that wonderful turbo boost after 1800 Rpm)

Have you done any engine overhauling treatment till date? or just the service every 5K kms
GSMINC great review, but you missed answering this question in bold above.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 15:07   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 1.3 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counti

Congrats, thats some odo reading you have done. Come to think of it, my car will complete 2 yrs on 14 march 2011 and i have done only 14k kms!

In the last two years, i have changed the clutch plates due to noise while releasing first gear during first service itself!!!!

The other day i noticed that my front left tyre has uneven wearout, wonder what the problem is!!! My OEM tyres have been rotated only once during second service @ 7k kms a year ago...

hope its not a major issue...
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 16:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Congrats, thats some odo reading you have done. Come to think of it, my car will complete 2 yrs on 14 march 2011 and i have done only 14k kms!
In the last two years, i have changed the clutch plates due to noise while releasing first gear during first service itself!!!!
The other day i noticed that my front left tyre has uneven wearout, wonder what the problem is!!! My OEM tyres have been rotated only once during second service @ 7k kms a year ago...

hope its not a major issue...
Only 14k kms in two years, Well, some guy is going to get really lucky when you sell your car, BTW I crossed 15k kms in 2 months,
Was the clutch changed under warranty.
My clutch was also changed under warranty around 40k kms as the mechanic had not properly tightened the clutch release bearing leading to clutch fluid leakage & clutch plate damage

Rotate tyres religiously every 5k kms for a prolonged tyre life. get it done outside, befriend a good tyre alignment guy for total peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
GSMINC great review, but you missed answering this question in bold above.
The pick-up is good, though not as good as a new car, but I do EGR cleaning every 30-40k kms,
I regularly drive a lot of newer diesel Swifts/Dzires belonging to friends/relatives just to compare & find faults in my car, which inturn helps me draw a list of things to do when my car goes to its next service, trust me try this, it really works in eradicating minor issues/nitty gritties & any car which has run for a lakh kms will have a few nitty gritties.
The car is serviced only by sagar maruti under my close supervision, I take it to service on a Sunday, I make a note of all the things to be done, sit in front of the service bay, carry a pack of smokes, bottle of water for myself . The car is serviced, washed & waxed (free ofcourse) in 3-4 hours flat. I dont do alingment/balancing/rotaion in MARUTI as I go a close friend's tyre shop & he does it for me free.

I shall write a detailed Long term report part by part soon, just that I'm starting a new venture & am busy with that

Last edited by Eddy : 1st March 2011 at 16:40. Reason: Please refer to the PM
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st March 2011, 16:35   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2 years, 1 lakh kms, 1000 temples, 21 states & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
The worst thing about this car is the poor brakes, the OE brakes are good for the Petrol version But woefully inadequate for the Diesel version, My cousin (a automobile engineer working for M&M) & myself are trying to fix this problem by putting a Maruti800/Alto/Zen's front Disc Brakes in place of Swift Rear drum brakes, he is convinced that this would solve the braking issue, let us see how it goes.
Check this thread out (if not already) for the brake issue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gn-maruti.html (Swift Diesel - New Brake Booster Design By Maruti)

I did change the brake booster under warranty and the change in braking was quite noticeable.
Hence would suggest you try that out.

Cheers
f1fan

Last edited by f1fan : 1st March 2011 at 16:39.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 17:46   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2 years, 1 lakh kms, 1000 temples, 21 states & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Check this thread out (if not already) for the brake issue.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gn-maruti.html (Swift Diesel - New Brake Booster Design By Maruti)

I did change the brake booster under warranty and the change in braking was quite noticeable.
Hence would suggest you try that out.

Cheers
f1fan
I had read this thread earlier, but I doubt maruti do the needful under warranty on a 2.5 year old car which under extended warranty(not the initial 2 year warranty), even though as per the car's service records the car has just run for 45k kms, hence this attempt at a DIY
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 17:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I had read this thread earlier, but I doubt maruti do the needful under warranty on a 2.5 year old car which under extended warranty(not the initial 2 year warranty), even though as per the car's service records the car has just run for 45k kms, hence this attempt at a DIY
I believe they should.
I did the change at 33K after 2.3 yrs i.e. even I did the change under extended warranty.

Give it a shot!!

P.S: You are saying that the service records show 45K. What does the odo read 1.3L or 45K bcos if the current odo reads it as 1.3L, I am sure they would not do it under extended warranty as that covers issues only till 80K Kms

Last edited by f1fan : 1st March 2011 at 17:54.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Only 14k kms in two years, Well, some guy is going to get really lucky when you sell your car, BTW I crossed 15k kms in 2 months,
Was the clutch changed under warranty.
My clutch was also changed under warranty around 40k kms as the mechanic had not properly tightened the clutch release bearing leading to clutch fluid leakage & clutch plate damage

Rotate tyres religiously every 5k kms for a prolonged tyre life. get it done outside, befriend a good tyre alignment guy for total peace of mind
Yeah, It was changed under warranty. I just pointed out the noise to them and after a small check up, they offered me to change the same! I was suprised. They did a nice job as the noise stopped post that service. However, this uneven wear-out now is giving me the jitters. Hope nothing major is wrong with the alingment.

Thanks for the tip on tyre rotation and wheel alingment. Shall follow the same.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I did the change at 33K after 2.3 yrs i.e. even I did the change under extended warranty.
Give it a shot!!

P.S: You are saying that the service records show 45K. What does the odo read 1.3L or 45K bcos if the current odo reads it as 1.3L, I am sure they would not do it under extended warranty as that covers issues only till 80K Kms
yes, will give it a shot,

As for the Odo reading, if the service advisor is a pal of yours, anything within reasonable limits is possible
And if push comes to shove changing Odo readings are no big deal, costs you 300-500 bucks & hardly takes 5-10 minutes.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:21   #39
BHPian

Just sent an email to Maruti about the booster brakes issue, let us see how Maruti responds, keeping my fingers crossed
Old 7th March 2011, 12:39   #40
BHPian

Let's go through the car part by part:

The Body:
The design is good, but practically it's shape is a drawback, especially to new users, the visibility, rear or sideways is poor, it bottom is fat, hence reversing is a issue, a major problem for ladies, though experienced drivers overcome it soon.
The Bumpers are too delicate, probably to confirm to passenger crash norms in Europe, you nudge anything & it pops out, And fixing a crash guard/bumper guard is not a good idea for hatchbacks due to the low ground clearance.
The whole car is held together with lots of plastics clips which dont hold firmly after sometime, the door pads, inner wheel wells, mudflaps, etc are held together by plastics clips
Old 15th March 2011, 15:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I believe they should.

Give it a shot!!
gave it a shot, & oh boy, it hit the bulls eye, got the brake booster replaced, you can read about it here (Swift Diesel - New Brake Booster Design By Maruti), post no:144
Old 1st December 2011, 15:07   #42
BHPian

I just completed 90,000 in my ldi this month , after 2 and a half years of buying it. Fortunately no warranty replacement of anything ever required. Battery has been changed. i used the OEM tyres- JK tornado for 70,000 then shifted over to A Drive from Yokohama. No rattles and squeaks as yet except that the window levers have become hard.
Overall a great car, great mileage and very reliable.
When should actually a swift diesel be sold? as in when is it expected that cost of ownership will spiral? Any ideas/clues?
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:50   #43
BHPian

The car just crossed 2.00 lakh kilometres, 3 years & 4 months old.
Still using the 1st set of Michelins (XM1+ 185/70R14), but I feel I can't flog them anymore, even though I have had just 2 punctures, & NO tyres bubbles, bulging, cuts etc.,
Wrote a mail to Michelin about my amazing & happy experience & asked them for 5 more brand new tyres as a goodwill gesture, spoke to their Country Head of Sales, he jokingly says since the tyres lasted for so long I should pay them more, he assured me to revert back soon about the free tyres soon.
Keeping my fingers crossed, let's see what they respond with, I want to again go in for Michelins, but at Rs.4500 per tyre they are quite costly compared to Apollo Acelere (185/70R14) which is tempting at Rs.3800-250(official discount of Rs.1000 for 4 tyres), which comes to Rs.3550 per tyre.

Moderators Please Note: Kindly change the thread title to "Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-3.4 years, 2.00 lakh kms, 2700 temples, 27 states & counting"

Last edited by GSMINC : 3rd December 2011 at 20:51. Reason: typing error
GSMINC is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 11:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 2 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counting

2 lakh kilometers on Michelin's :eek;

This is unbelievable.

What tire pressures are you maintaining? Oh Please do give some tips on getting such great mileage on your tires.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 12:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Swift VDI (2008)-2.5 years, 2 lakh kms, 2000 temples, 24 states & counting

2 lac kms on one set of tires, that too michelins. SPEECHLESS !!!

Congrats.
Btw, where do you mostly drive ? Do you live & drive on NICE road only ?, just kidding
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote