Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 31st August 2010, 10:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Excellent colour choice!! Enjoy your ride
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 14:39   #17
BHPian

OK guys I am glad to inform you that the biggest bothering problem in my Manza was the front suspension noise. Finally TATA dealer with able guidance from TATA technical team resolved the problem. It was a real time consuming, pains taking trouble shooting;but TATA offered an excellent service. Hats off to our TATA engineers! I have sent a appreciation letter.
For the rear suspension that needs to be studied & will take it up with TATA separately. I guess TATA should upgrade the coil spring to next duty level to suit the load requirement.
With regards to speed breaker scrapping noise, which is due to the four jacking pads fitted for manufacturing convenience. If this can be knocked off then the issue is solved.
Velmurugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 18:25   #18
BHPian

Please share with us what exactly was done by Tata people as even my Manza is giving same noise problem.
vahss_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 17:18   #19
BHPian

sorry for the delayed response.....
Firstly without physically observing the noise you are hearing or experiencing the problem need not be the same or identical to one I am facing. Hence my solution may or may not be applicable to your vehicle. Hence take it up your dealer or TATA & follow their advise. do not blindly ask for the same components or remedy.
In my case it was extremely time consuming exersise & following were carried out:
1.Lower ball & socket joint was replaced. Still problem existed.
2. Link rod was replaced.Still problem existed.
3.Strut assembly was replaced or RHS suspension. Problem resolved, but a strange spring straining noise is heard. This is still being worked out.

After couple of weeks the same "Kuttuck" noise was heard on the LHS suspension. But this time dealer did some machining on the suspension assembly seating & the vehicle is under observation. If still noise is heard then only solution could be the strut assembly.
My conclusion is that there may a quality issue on the MacPherson suspension, as these bought out components are tested on random sample. So a faulty components can make the owner, dealer, & the Manufacturer a big time problem.
So please, do not go with the same pre-conceived notion or mind set. Be firm on the problem you are facing & let the solution come from TATA guys. It can be the same or different or pretty simple also.
In my case, I am a bit too sensitive & highly perfectionist guy. I keep finding fault even in Toyota & Nissan over here in the middle east. I am not that stringent with TATA, but atleast the basics should be rectified.
My rear suspension sackness is still a mystery & not heard a solution from TATA guys. I guess they must upgrade the coil spring with the next higher rating / duty...
To check if your car has a rear suspension problem try this exersise:
1. Load your car with passengers(4+1). Average Indians & not heavy duty
2. Load the boot worth of luggage 80kgs+40kg=120Kg(assume airport pickup or drop). The weights are realistic & bear minimum.
Observation: If your rear portion of the car sinks, with wheels getting in to the the wheel arch, yes there is a potential problem on the coil spring design duty & selection.
cheers
vel
Old 20th September 2010, 21:52   #20
BHPian

@ Velmurugan

Hi vel so we both join the Qjet Aura + gothic olive club is it.

Please share your experience and precautions that you took during the first 1000 kms.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 11:34   #21
BHPian

Velmurugan, Congrats on your new purchase. Looks fantastic in the last pic. Where did you shot it?

Congrats once again. Hope you update with services
Reisender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 12:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
@ Velmurugan

Hi vel so we both join the Qjet Aura + gothic olive club is it.

Please share your experience and precautions that you took during the first 1000 kms.
Nothing special.... ensure you follow the precautions prescribed by TATA in their car manual for the initial running in period.
have a happy motoring.
take care when passing through a big speed brakers, especially when loaded with passengers & loaded boot.
Dont get carried away with mileage figures of 23kmpl etc or the onboard display which is instantaneous values.
Depening upon your driving style, speed, wind resistance your mileage will change.
I am getting somewhere between 14.5kmpl to 18kmpl(max) on an overall run,higway useage. My car is for touring only.
Yes you can improve upon your milage, probably you need to stick to say 60 or 70km/hr speed! Do you think you can stick to it when you see nice tarmac???!
Have a safe drive...
vel
Old 21st September 2010, 12:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Lovely looking car, Velmurugan, belated congrats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmurugan View Post
Load your car with passengers(4+1). Average Indians & not heavy duty

nice sense of humor there !

Quote:
Load the boot worth of luggage 80kgs+40kg=120Kg (assume airport pickup or drop).

120 kgs is about 6 suitcases filled to 20 kgs each ! Is the boot designed to carry so much luggage weight, I wonder ? If not, this could lead to sagging / problems to the rear suspension in the long run, in my opinion.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 13:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

120 kgs is about 6 suitcases filled to 20 kgs each ! Is the boot designed to carry so much luggage weight, I wonder ? If not, this could lead to sagging / problems to the rear suspension in the long run, in my opinion.
Moosa, I would assume so.... otherwise what for is 460 litres of volume of space. You can ofcourse fill hell a lot of things in to it. But I am bit practical, where your car is used for airport pickup/drop where the scenario is the worst case! Why airport? not railways?
Yes, we have some governing weight criteria which is International standard. I am sure the car of this size, volume, space should serve this purpose.

I personally feel(I may or may not be correct), the duty/rating of the coil spring if replaced with right one, I am sure problem is solved.

in fact if you notice in two of the pictures I posted, the sinking issue.Pl. note that the weight on the boot was only 1/3 of the specified value. Hence I see a serious problem in this coil spring!
Lets wait for the experts from TATA to revert.....

BTW the snaps with green scenic landscape was in Wayanad, Kerala! Lovely place to visit...
Old 21st September 2010, 17:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact if you notice in two of the pictures I posted, the sinking issue. Pl. note that the weight on the boot was only 1/3 of the specified value.
BTW the snaps with green scenic landscape was in Wayanad, Kerala! Lovely place to visit...
Yes, Vel, I see the problem, now that you linked me to the pic ! The rear end looks quite sagged near the boot. Hope the issue gets resolved. During my TD of the Manza I too had felt that the rear suspension was very soft. Maybe the Tata guys could try out stiffer springs, without hardening the ride comfort too much.

Yes, Wayanad is a lovely place for a holiday ! I visited Kalpetta with my family a few years ago, in my Maruti 800.

Wishing you many happy miles ahead in your car !
Old 5th October 2010, 07:40   #26
BHPian

Hi vel i find that 1.3MJD in my car feels very tired. The pulling power isn't satisfactory. The 2nd and 3rd gear losses power very soon.And the engine noise is too high. Can you share any of your ideas on this. Any one on this forum too.
Old 5th October 2010, 08:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that 1.3MJD in my car feels very tired. The pulling power isn't satisfactory.
Hey, rki, you seem to be troubled by lack of power !

I hope you have already consulted your service centre on this.

What is their feedback on this problem ?

Maybe there are some clogged filters, or the engine ECU needs to be re programmed, and so on, which might not have been done properly at your service centre during your servicing (assuming you have brought it to their notice, in the first place).

Try to visit a better service centre, it could help. Also, try a better fuel station, if you have not done so.

If nothing of the above works, I can only suggest the following, again this may help only marginally :

1. Increase your tyre pressures by 2 psi (but the ride may become hard, and suspension life might get affected in the long run).

2. Change over to alloy wheels. The vehicle will become lighter (but so will your wallet )

Hope your problem gets resolved soon !

Last edited by mooza : 5th October 2010 at 08:47.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:15   #28
BHPian

Absolutley no problems in my Manza. it just gallops with fully loaded. As advised check with the dealer & test drive other cars to feel if there is any abnormality.

regarding noise, yes, all diesel engines are little noisy in cold. Hence before every drive I warm it up for 10-15mts. It is smooth as petrol.
Absolutely no issue.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi vel i find that 1.3MJD in my car feels very tired. The pulling power isn't satisfactory. The 2nd and 3rd gear losses power very soon.And the engine noise is too high. Can you share any of your ideas on this. Any one on this forum too.
Hi rki2007,

I have used my manza for about 13k km's now and I can say for sure that power is not a problem with Manza. It pulls cleanly from rpm of 1200 in 2nd and 3rd gear and goes w/o any issues till 3000 (and prettly quicky as well). Not sure of your earlier cars (petrol or diesel) but can it be because you are revving the car beyong 3000 rpm? Asking since you are saying that 'The 2nd and 3rd gear losses power very soon'. I had a santro earlier and hence saying this that unlike petrol cars, we should upshift before 3000 rpm (ideally 2500) to keep the engine in max torque band. Not that the car can not rev beyond 3000, but then it gets prettly loud and is not worth revving it beyond that.

As others suggested a visit to service centre might help. Specifically check for turbo functioning. Do you feel turbo kicking in when driving and crossing RPM of about 1800?
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Hi rki2007,

I have used my manza for about 13k km's now and I can say for sure that power is not a problem with Manza. It pulls cleanly from rpm of 1200 in 2nd and 3rd gear and goes w/o any issues till 3000 (and prettly quicky as well). Not sure of your earlier cars (petrol or diesel) but can it be because you are revving the car beyong 3000 rpm? Asking since you are saying that 'The 2nd and 3rd gear losses power very soon'. I had a santro earlier and hence saying this that unlike petrol cars, we should upshift before 3000 rpm (ideally 2500) to keep the engine in max torque band. Not that the car can not rev beyond 3000, but then it gets prettly loud and is not worth revving it beyond that.

As others suggested a visit to service centre might help. Specifically check for turbo functioning. Do you feel turbo kicking in when driving and crossing RPM of about 1800?
Hi thanks to all of your replies.

I don't feel much of turbo kick. The power is more linear and there is no sudden surge in power at 1800-2000rpms.
My first service was completed only yesterday.My car done only 1142 kms on the odo.