Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th May 2011, 12:23   #31
BHPian

Default Vel's Indigo Manza -Update

Vehicle: TATA Indigo Manza, Quadrajet, BS4, Aura+, 2010Model.

Recently I have done my second free service. Although I have not driven much, with 6K km on the clock, I got my engine oil & filter changed.
I used fully synthetic engine oil from Castrol. The Specification use was Castrol Edge 5W40.
Following works were carried out:
1.Engine Oil replaced.
2. Oil Filter Replaced.
3.Air Filter Cleaned.
4. All bolts tightend & underchassis checkup.
After service I did about 475km, a drive to Valparai, Adhirapally falls & returned to base CJB (CBE).
Before oil change I noticed the black oil in the dip stick & it was the same black oil even after new oil replacement. Is this OK?
or should I need to flush the oil?
Otherwise the vehicle is smooth & doing quite well so far. will be doing some more trips during July / August..... will post the update
Velmurugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 13:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vel's Indigo Manza -Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velmurugan View Post

I used fully synthetic engine oil from Castrol. The Specification use was Castrol Edge 5W40.

After service I did about 475km, a drive to Valparai, Adhirapally falls & returned to base CJB (CBE).
Before oil change I noticed the black oil in the dip stick & it was the same black oil even after new oil replacement. Is this OK?
or should I need to flush the oil?
From my experience of getting cars (any manufacturer) serviced in Bangalore: Always insist that the Engine Oil & Oil filter is changed when you are present. Even if they have to wait, insist on it. This is the single largest place where the service centre personnel try to earn that extra bit.

Also, if there are any other parts to be changed, insist that it is done in your presence (unless it is an obvious or external part that can be visually examined).

Quote:
Otherwise the vehicle is smooth & doing quite well so far. will be doing some more trips during July / August..... will post the update
Congratulations, and glad that your car is performing well. Do keep us updated on any feedback/upgrades by Tata on the problems you reported.

One point about the Power Steering: All Hydraulic Power Steering systems make a kind of groaning noise at full lock. My Chevy Spark does, and so does my Indigo. Electric Power Steering systems are soundless, so maybe you find the noise unusual if you haven't been used to HPS?
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:48   #33
BHPian

Default Re: Vel's Indigo Manza Aura+ QJET

Oh Yes! Very true.
I did stand next to my car when it was serviced. I also ensured the new oil can is sealed & opened in front me. I read the specification, saw the filter etc, to check the genuine spares.
The oil + filter costed me Rs.4699/-. The oil was charged @ Rs.1075/per litre. Took the 4L can.

In that way the dealer(GEM Motors) in Coimbatore are doing a good job as far as I have noticed or atleast to my car. I also maintain a good raport with the workshop guys, which also matters.

Having said that I ensure I am there with my vehicle, as I am aware of the story of swapping car components & other stories.
Thanks for sharing the power steering issue. Now I got used to it.
Will defintely share more experience in the coming weeks, as I would be hitting the road this July / August for a long drive say 3K km+...
Old 12th May 2011, 13:24   #34
BHPian

Till date I have not installed the window tints (sun control film). Planning to install Garware Sun Control film.
Opted for Ice Cool Range which comes with 5 year warranty
Ice Cool Shield (VLT70%, HR50%) – for the front Wind shield. Approx Price Rs.2850/
Ice Cool Grand or Ice Cool Elite for the rear and sides. Approx Price Rs.7500/-

Need some feedback from those of you who have installed Garware films, especially the above series.
Is the A/C effective with the above films? Presently during day time the A/C is not affective at all. During night, its freezing.
Authorized dealer in Coimbatore? Is Sun Enterprise OK? Or any other dealer?
Appreciate your feedback…of course, I am not keen on 3M or V-Kool or Llumar etc

Last edited by Velmurugan : 12th May 2011 at 13:26.
Old 19th May 2011, 00:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I booked on 01/07/2010 & the car reached CJB on 20/07/2010.
Quote:

Recently I have done my second free service. Although I have not driven much, with 6K km on the clock, I got my engine oil & filter changed.

Why did u get the oil changed at just 6K's ??? . The synthetic oils are meant to go on for atleast 10000 Km's (10K miles for countries on the imperial system) so changing it at 6K's is a waste of oil, if money is not the important part.
At the rate that you are driving the oil would have lasted you for another 6K's before you get it changed.
pawanarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 15:05   #36
BHPian

as per owners manual, oil change is at 20K km or 1 year whichever comes first.
I would opt for changing oil every10K intervals. In my case it was almost a year.
Old 21st May 2011, 01:28   #37
BHPian

exactly my point, its not an year yet and the oil would have lasted for a good distance before it would have been up for change. Anyways if you prefer it that ways its personal opinion.
pawanarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 23:42   #38

Hi Vel

First ..Thank you for the detailed report. I am looking forward to buy the Manza Aura ABS (diesel). When taking to a friend of mine who owns a Maza Aura petrol, he pointed out 2 things

1) The rear set position + the rear glass is such that the sun hits the back of the passengers head. I live in kerala and in summer the sun is almost directly above head. Is this true?

2) The thickness of body metal is less resulting in dents forming on the body if hit with small objects like stone hits from the road.

Since you are a long time owner, i look forward for your experience.

Thanks and Regards
Sibi
sibijv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibijv View Post
Hi Vel

First ..Thank you for the detailed report. I am looking forward to buy the Manza Aura ABS (diesel). When taking to a friend of mine who owns a Maza Aura petrol, he pointed out 2 things

1) The rear set position + the rear glass is such that the sun hits the back of the passengers head. I live in kerala and in summer the sun is almost directly above head. Is this true?

2) The thickness of body metal is less resulting in dents forming on the body if hit with small objects like stone hits from the road.

Since you are a long time owner, i look forward for your experience.

Thanks and Regards
Sibi
Hi Sibi,
Honestly speaking, I did not observe the above two issues. My passengers never complained about the rear wind shield. In my opinion, you can get away with the suncontrol film.
Not sure on the sheet steel thickness.Probably the cost saving in manufactring could be in that area too.
I am personally quite happy with the car & satisfied. Other than the front suspension issue, the car is doing fine & has not let us down at all.
You will be little disappointed with the plastics finish, otherwise, I love my Manza. Its value for money. I am also a TATA fan & Igenerally stick to TATA motors only!
Go for it...TATA Manza, you will see smile in your face.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:52   #40

Hi Vel

Thank you vel. I always have a liking to Tata manza Aura ABS white, I have been riding a Santro LS model for the past 11 years with 120K on the odo. My friend bought the Indica v2 the same year (2000). Yes his car plastics has faded out but till date have not heard much complaints from him.

Thank you once again Vel.
sibijv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
as per owners manual, oil change is at 20K km or 1 year whichever comes first.
I would opt for changing oil every10K intervals. In my case it was almost a year.

Yes i agree with you but it is not wise to change oil at 6k kms even if the car is more than 12 months old. I think it is preferable to wait till the car crosses 10k kms or max 1.5 years.

Yes it is surely a personal opinion

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd June 2011 at 11:20.
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 18:29   #42
BHPian

Just another update on my TATA Indigo Manza
Recently completed my 10K Km service & clocked about 12000km.
Encountered the following problems. Main issue was related to my front suspension metallic noise (Kuttuck Noise) which recurred again. This noise comes only when the wheel is fully locked either RHS or LHS, with car being moved / inched either front or reversed. You get a loud metallic noise which is unpleasant. Took up with TATA & the dealer. They have replaced both the front knuckle assembly with bearing. The noise is no more; but I am keeping the vehicle under observation. I happen to meet some of the Manza owners, who drive the same specification car and they seem to be happy without these problems. I do hope I have a smooth happy motoring!
Second issue was my noise from the clutch pedal assembly. It was lubricated several times, play was arrested. I was getting a metallic noise whenever the clutch is depressed & released. It was not with the soft punch / cushioning effect. It releases a metallic awkward noise.
Initially the dealer kept saying all the noises were quite normal in all manza & kept continue to say the same bull **** story. I told him that I have not bought the cheapest car Nano. I have taken one of the premium cars from the Tata fleet. If you still say, these abnormal noises are quite normal, and then show me in the new vehicle or the car that has come for service. Alternatively take back my car, return it to TATA & refund my money back. Now the guys were on the toes. Believe me they attended & completed the job!
My clutch cylinder had some tolerance issue which was causing me the problem! Got it replaced.
My A/c was not effective at all even with the premium Garware film during the maximum ambient temperature of 35deg.C. On checking the grill temperature, it was ascertained that the thermostat was cutting off at 7.5 in lieu of 6.9. They had topped up the refrigerant & the vehicle is under observation.
Fitted Garware Sun Control Film, Ice Cool Shield for front wind shield and Ice Cool elite for the side/rear. It has got the greenish tint, with great visibility. Unfortunately I have got lots of air bubbles on the rear & side which is still curing even after 30 days. The dealer clarified & confirmed that these are mainly moisture & will disappear in few more days. Waiting for them to disappear or revert for replacement.
It costed me Rs.10,000/- In general the film is effective & pleasing effect. The front has VLT70%, sides VLT50%, rear VLT 70%.
Will post the pictures shortly.

Last edited by Velmurugan : 7th September 2011 at 18:31.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:02   #43
BHPian

Feb2013 my rear RHS power window winding mechanism (Cable type) failed. Motor was OK. Unfortunately this wasn’t covered in my extended warranty. This was a surprise. My usage is not very heavy, but still this is a concern. Did anyone experience similar issue in their Manza?
The day before failure I heard a glass breaking metallic kind of noise (Kuttack!) & the next day it failed.
GEM motors as usual did not have the spares with them & fortunately I got it from TAFE (TAL) who fitted for me. It costed about Rs800/- approx + Labour charges.
Also got my battery replaced after 2 ˝ years with Exide new battery which costed about Rs5,500/-(with some discount on old battery salvage).

Last edited by bblost : 6th February 2013 at 14:04. Reason: Removed Font Tags. Please do not copy paste from text editors.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Feb2013 my rear RHS power window winding mechanism (Cable type) failed. Motor was OK. Unfortunately this wasn’t covered in my extended warranty. This was a surprise. My usage is not very heavy, but still this is a concern. Did anyone experience similar issue in their Manza?
Vel, what a coincidence. My car too is in TASS - RF Motors, Cochin - for the same issue along with some other niggles. And as you said they too don't have spares. They informed me that it will take 2 weeks to get the parts !!
sreerknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:37   #45
BHPian

Finally my Front Suspension issue on the Knuckle assembly, bushings etc. were resolved by "AUTOZONE" authorised service dealers for TATA Motors.
Excellent job done. Their service is excellent, highly proactive team & very focussed. They met my expectation. Car problems were attended & rectified. Excellent job done. Will stick with AutoZone Coimbatore & will not visit TAFE or GEM motors.
Anyone passing by Coimbatore, feel free to get your car serviced at AutoZone. They service even on Sunday with skeleton team, based on prior appointment.