Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th October 2010, 23:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Regarding the alloy wheels, I have been quoted 26k for the alloy wheels at the ASC (Sireesh Auto), for the "company alloy wheels", as he called it. I presume these company alloy wheels are made of magnesium / aluminium, to have the desired improvements in handling ?

However, my Service advisor was not keen on fitting these alloy wheels as he says my older model Scorpio is designed for 15 inch wheels, whereas the Alloys he has are all of 16 inch size .

Some inputs on this would be welcome !
I doubt if the alloys offered at the ASC are magnesium/aluminium one's . The available up-sizes for the older Scorp's are
245/70-15
255/65-15
255/60-16

Honestly I don't think its a problem if you up-size by an inch.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 07:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rjstyles. I am beginning to zero in on the alloys now, and might look at the 15" alloys itself, since I feel upsizing to 16" wheels could result in a harder ride on account of the reduced profile / tyre wall flex (assuming the tyre OD is same).

Observations after the 90k kms servicing :

1. The mild engine vibrations at 1400 to 1500 rpm have subsided a lot, the NVH has reduced. Based on my feedback, the ASC had tightened the engine mounts.

2. The gear shifts have become much smoother after the gear oil change.
I guess the oil level in the gearbox might have been low prior to the servicing.

Any idea on how to check the gearbox oil level ?

3. The leaf spring bushes (as well as the leafs) were greased, as a result of which the harshness of the ride has reduced further, the vehicle is riding very smoothly now
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 16:27   #63

Default Re: Used Scorpio Ownership Experience and Review

Hello Mooza!
I'm Ramprasad and I have an Indica Xeta and Esteem currently.

I saw your posts about buying and using a pre-owned Scorpio.
A 2007 CRDe model Scorpio which has done 33,000 km has come up for sale near my house in B'lore. It is in good condition. What would be a fair price for this? The seller is starting with 6.9 lakhs. Please let me know.
rampaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 18:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

^^ You could try to bring it to around 6 to 6.25 lakhs, in my opinion, depending on the condition.

All the best for your purchase
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 19:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

If it is any help I sold my 2008 LX Crde 2.6 Turbo in early Dec 2011 with 50K Kms on the clock for quite a bit less - it was fully loaded with an excellent system, alloys, central locking, steering remote, sun film etc. Of course I sold to a friend and as per the valuations it was a fair price.

I would not pay more than perhaps 5.25 lacs or so for this 2007 model Crde.
Even if it is an SLX or SLE version, I would not go above 5.75 lacs. Remember it is getting on 5 years of age now and there are plenty of options coming in this year.

I would even suggest you wait for a bit and trawl Carwale for a good deal because you are bound to get one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampaps View Post
Hello Mooza!
I'm Ramprasad and I have an Indica Xeta and Esteem currently.

I saw your posts about buying and using a pre-owned Scorpio.
A 2007 CRDe model Scorpio which has done 33,000 km has come up for sale near my house in B'lore. It is in good condition. What would be a fair price for this? The seller is starting with 6.9 lakhs. Please let me know.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 19:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I took a test drive of the 2.2 MHawk a few weeks ago, and was mighty impressed with the refinement of the engine. However, the forward pitching effect when braking, even under gradual braking is something i didnt like. Wish M&M would do something about it.
The forward pitching would be with most of the heavier vehicles (discount the premium ones), and with time you get used to the behaviour and learn to brake accordingly so that the pitch is minimal. I still remember my TD on the mHawk my spouse almost raised on my driving skills on seeing the forward pitch on the scorpio while braking and absolutely ruled out the purchase of the SUV (I was driving a WagonR then) till "I learned to drive properly" that too after been driving for almost 10 years.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 19:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampaps View Post
A few questions

Is it a first owner vehicle?
What is the current insurance IDV?
Does it have a no claim bonus attached to it?
Is it an LX, DX or SLX?
Does it have factory fitted alloy wheels?
Does it have clean history of upkeep at an ASC, if yes, which one?
Can you post a few pics of the vehicle please? 33k kms in 5 years is pathetically low unless you know the owner being an NRI or someone who never used this vehicle at all.

The answers to the above questions will decide the reasonable market price for it.

6.9 lacs must be negotiable I assume. If you get it for around 6.3-6.4 lacs after answering the above questions positively, it is not a bad deal. Scorpios hold their resale very well.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 20:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Dont forget this is a large and top heavy beast which is built on a ladder frame chassis. Hence it really pitches like the blazes under sudden braking conditions. Even more so in the ABS loaded versions. It even yaws and sways a bit over these monster sized speed breakers and rumble strips that the Bangalore PWD has seen fit to scatter like confetti on our roads! Even the home made speed breakers and cuts on the road for pipes, sewage, cabling or whatever, causes a highly unsettled ride. The Scorpio skitters over these on account of its overall skittish handling characteristics.
They should have left the Scorpio at the same height as the Bolero which was a much more settled sort of vehicle. That hump at the back - rear side of the roof line is good for head-room etc but is really too high for comfort. 1975mm height is really like a mini truck. Add that antenna and the roof rails and it is a real pain parking for example in UB City, whose parking lot ceilings are very low indeed. One always had to remove the antenna while reversing out for fear of it getting caught in the overhead ducting and breaking off!
But end of the day, none of our Indian ladder frame vehicles behave well in terms of handling and now, having experienced the excellent, car like handling of a monocoque SUV, I would prefer not to go back to the earlier types of SUV's I ve owned in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The forward pitching would be with most of the heavier vehicles (discount the premium ones), and with time you get used to the behaviour and learn to brake accordingly so that the pitch is minimal. I still remember my TD on the mHawk my spouse almost raised on my driving skills on seeing the forward pitch on the scorpio while braking and absolutely ruled out the purchase of the SUV (I was driving a WagonR then) till "I learned to drive properly" that too after been driving for almost 10 years.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th January 2012 at 20:11.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 12:10   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dont forget this is a large and top heavy beast which is built on a ladder frame chassis. Hence it really pitches like the blazes under sudden braking conditions. Even more so in the ABS loaded versions. It even yaws and sways a bit over these monster sized speed breakers and rumble strips that the Bangalore PWD has seen fit to scatter like confetti on our roads! Even the home made speed breakers and cuts on the road for pipes, sewage, cabling or whatever, causes a highly unsettled ride. The Scorpio skitters over these on account of its overall skittish handling characteristics.
They should have left the Scorpio at the same height as the Bolero which was a much more settled sort of vehicle. That hump at the back - rear side of the roof line is good for head-room etc but is really too high for comfort. 1975mm height is really like a mini truck. Add that antenna and the roof rails and it is a real pain parking for example in UB City, whose parking lot ceilings are very low indeed. One always had to remove the antenna while reversing out for fear of it getting caught in the overhead ducting and breaking off!
But end of the day, none of our Indian ladder frame vehicles behave well in terms of handling and now, having experienced the excellent, car like handling of a monocoque SUV, I would prefer not to go back to the earlier types of SUV's I ve owned in the past.
Nice summation of the vehicles downsides, for me too underground parking is a nightmare, in my last workplace there were only 2-3 slots where the Scorpio would fit in on account of height and despite all the care I scraped the ducting more than once.

As far as the handling goes, my sailing experience makes me feel at home , but all said and done next time round I would prefer to be in a more subtle and better handling SUV (Fortuner / Duster / XUV500 etc.)

Last edited by m_upreti : 16th January 2012 at 12:17.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner is not exactly a great handling vehicle...crossovers would have better handling. The Fortuner is pretty bumpy too.

Just a reality check.

If you are considering the Fortuner, do decide if you can live with its weaknesses and whether its strengths actually matter to you.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 22:56   #71
BHPian

Do you know your Scorpio is up for sale at Hyderabad? just kidding, this guy is using pictures of your Scorp in the ad. I've been through your thread multiple times before and looking at the pic in the ad, I immediately recognized one of the pics to be Scorpio.

BTW, what are the updates? No updates for more than a year.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote