Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th September 2010, 19:55   #16
BHPian

Your report comes straight from your heart. Very nicely written
It looks immaculate in that snap. Mind sharing some more pics including the interiors.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 20:25   #17
BHPian

Thanks JK , Vid's ownership report is a data bank for any Lancer owner.

@kkg, Thanks mate, Here is the break-up cost of tires+alloys.
Apollo Alloys, set of 4= around 17500 INR
Tires = 13600 (3400 INR per tire.)
Sorry, I dont have any idea about the warranty of the alloys, but I guess there might be some kind of a warranty since apollo is an Indian brand.

@Lancer_rit, Yes the tire size is indeed 195/60R14. With this upsize, there is about a 10mm reduction in OD. The currect upsize would have been 195/65R14 in 14" but is it a common size?. AFAIK there are few options in 195/65R14, I may be wrong though. I dint want to go to 15".

Another point is that the Lancer SFXi oE size was 185/60 R14 I believe. Is there any difference in the caliberation of speedo/odo between SFXi and other lancer variants?. Tire upsize for Lancer is always confusing.

@vigsom, Thanks a lot bro.

@Utopian, Thanks mate, Sure I will take some more snaps and will put here.
sarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 20:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarath View Post
@Lancer_rit, Yes the tire size is indeed 195/60R14. With this upsize, there is about a 10mm reduction in OD. The currect upsize would have been 195/65R14 in 14" but is it a common size?. AFAIK there are few options in 195/65R14, I may be wrong though. I dint want to go to 15".
True, Michelin does not have any 195/65R14 (only R15) on a quick check. Actually 15" is ideal for Lancer GLXi/SLXi/LX. With MXV8, I have no regrets over 27k+ km :-) But since you have 14" alloys now, maybe you can ask tyre gurus like Nikhilb or iraghava if you have choices in 195/65/R14
Another possibility is to go for 195/70R14 which has also high error but has higher OD, so higher profile - you need to check first for clearances though.

BTW, your Lancer looks immaculate like folks posted!

Quote:
Another point is that the Lancer SFXi oE size was 185/60 R14 I believe. Is there any difference in the caliberation of speedo/odo between SFXi and other lancer variants?. Tire upsize for Lancer is always confusing.
You bet. SFXi is another beast tyre/wheel wise. I was also confused a lot reading forum posts when I did my upgrade - since some recommended 195/60R15 and others swore by 195/55R15 ;-) Finally I got the rationale behind different posters' views. I think the speedo is not callibrated differently in SFXi but probably vid6639 can confirm ?
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 11:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
@Pramod, Yes I am planning to try Synthetic oil next time. You removed cat-con too?, thought you swapped the end can alone.
The time you drove it the cat con was out, so technically a free flow exhaust. You dont have to worry a lot, the cat con is like a honey comb and it is broken using a pointed object, so any workshop can handle this. and if you are little environment friendly, i can show you the PUC readings pre and post the operation and you would be surprised to see my car is a lot more environment friendly now.

Before going synthetic, do remember to flush the engine and BTW where do you service the car, Marikar or Geo?

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 22:20   #20
BHPian

@lancer_rit. I am planning to switch to a comfort tire like Michelin XM1+ next time. But I need to wait for another 20K kilometers minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Before going synthetic, do remember to flush the engine and BTW where do you service the car, Marikar or Geo?
Pramod
The last two paid services were done by Geo motors. Earlier services were one by Marikar. Pramod, how do you rate these two by the way?. I feel Geo motors guys are very pleasing to deal with, but then I suspect the Marikar guys are more experienced since they are with HM/Mitsubishi from the inception.

Here is the break-up of the 60K service done last week. The Odo was somewhere around 53,xxx.

Engine oil 10W30 = 597.33 (3.5 litters)
Oil Filter = 129.12
Fuel Filter = 1391.94
Engine oil treatment = 444.44
Tax = 320.34
Vat cess = 3.2
Labour = 1000
Service Tax = 103

Grand Total = 3989
Old 20th September 2010, 10:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

@sarath, yes its a bit tough now to change these tyres. But you can ask for what it costs you on a replacement basis to go for the right sized Michelins. I mean is it worth the discomfort and stress on suspension for 20k+ km ?

For your oil change, I would have recommended changing to Motul Synthetic @ A.S.S. - I am really happy after the switch (as posted on Synthetic or Mineral oil thread).
Old 21st September 2010, 10:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The last two paid services were done by Geo motors. Earlier services were one by Marikar. Pramod, how do you rate these two by the way?. I feel Geo motors guys are very pleasing to deal with, but then I suspect the Marikar guys are more experienced since they are with HM/Mitsubishi from the inception.
As per me GEO is better, they are very customer centric. Marikar guys are more concentrating on skoda, its better to avoid them. This industry suffers from maximum attrition, i am sure most of the mitsu guys must have left from marikar.

Geo guys have the right knowledge and the right kind of tools, i am happy with them.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 05:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
People asked me why I bought a brand new lancer which is way past its product life cycle. It is like decieving one-self if we call ourselves enthusiasts or car nuts and then take decisions based on monetary benefits/practicality alone, isn't it?.
I true hardcore enthusiasts review, straight from the heart and soul. I recently purchased a pre-worshipped Lancer SLXi and it's been pure bliss. People may call it "Long in the tooth" or whatever but I am yet to see a car that can surpass the chassis balance and road handling virtues of the Lancer. Maybe the Ford Ikon 1.6 comes a bit close. With such precise control over the car I think we can do without ABS and airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I love the precession with which each gears slot,
Pramod
I hear a reassuring click when we slot a gear - the gearbox-steering package is the best in class IMO. The A.S.S. tells me they are yet to see a Lancer needing any gearbox repairs.

BTW, the sea facing picture is simply superb. Do you have more of those?

Quote:
@lancer_rit. I am planning to switch to a comfort tire like Michelin XM1+ next time. But I need to wait for another 20K kilometers minimum
Do read my post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2073989 (Lancer SLXi - paid a premium to get tubed tyres !!!)

I must be the only guy on T-BHP to have switched from tubeless Michelin to tubed / stock BridgeStones!!! Since you already have 14' alloys you have a good choice of tyre profiles but be aware that Michelin's sidewalls are thin and easily bulges when the car's fully loaded. Thus, in our quest to reduce tyre noice we inadvertently reduce the car's GC and risk scraping the car's belly over speed-breakers.

To find out the difference in wheel diameter and the speedo/odo error, do visit this website.... http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

---------------------------------
regards
Chewbacca
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 18:14   #24
BHPian

Default Re: 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer- Ownership Report

Posting after a long, long break. The car is still going strong, the ODO is now at 1.1Lakh, still on original clutch and suspension. The car has been a gem, ultra reliable till now. Nothing except routine service once in an year, save for one problem now.

The rear suspension started squeaking intermittently off late. Showed up at Geo Motors(Mitsubishi A.S.S in Trivandrum) last week, their finding is that the rear suspension bushes have gone bust, shocks are fine. According to them, changing the bushes would solve the problem.

Now they are quoting 20K including labor for changing the rear suspension bushes. I was informed these are Taiwanese make. Do you guys think it is a bit too much for the bushes alone? If anyone has recently overhauled their lancer's rear suspension, please help.
Old 24th October 2015, 16:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting after a long, long break. The car is still going strong, the ODO is now at 1.1Lakh, still on original clutch and suspension. The car has been a gem, ultra reliable till now. Nothing except routine service once in an year, save for one problem now.
Great to hear and best wishes going forward. My Lancer is going strong at 1.37+ lakh. Original clutch, had replaced rear struts at 90k km.
Quote:
Now they are quoting 20K including labor for changing the rear suspension bushes. I was informed these are Taiwanese make. Do you guys think it is a bit too much for the bushes alone? If anyone has recently overhauled their lancer's rear suspension, please help.
Will they replace only the bushes or the link kits? HM has increased parts prices a lot. Also 20k is inclusive of labour ? Also only for rear?
Old 24th October 2015, 21:24   #26
BHPian

Thanks lancer_rit. Glad to hear that your car is going great.

Only rear bushes. No problem with the front ones. 20k all inclusive. I am also looking for a competent garage for a second opinion. If nothing else work out, will get it done from A.S.S itself as don't want to risk with something critical like suspension.
Old 24th October 2015, 22:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks lancer_rit. Glad to hear that your car is going great.
Thanks.
Quote:
Only rear bushes. No problem with the front ones. 20k all inclusive. I am also looking for a competent garage for a second opinion. If nothing else work out, will get it done from A.S.S itself as don't want to risk with something critical like suspension.
Please ask for an exact list of spare parts from ASS. It could be that they are looking to change one or more of the following (since Lancer bush kits were not approved by HM, so the link kits need to be replaced)
* Rear upper links
* Rear lower links
* Rear lower arm
Old 27th October 2015, 02:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Posting after a long, long break. The car is still going strong, the ODO is now at 1.1Lakh, still on original clutch and suspension.
Nice to hear that.
I am not surprised with the 20K quote especially if they are really Taiwanese make. Nowadays getting genuine HM spares has become tough. The legendary A.S.S in Pune has now closed shop. It's getting renovated / replaced by 3M car care. Another A.S.S. opened shop in Pune with half the staff moving over from the old A.S.S.

New A.S.S has good people with good knowledge but cannot always find the spares in time.

Mine is 2001 model, 94K on the odo and everything is still original except ...
Front struts replaced at 60K
Brake master cylinder replaced at 54K.
Low oil sensor replaced at 90K

I have pulled the below info from a previous post of mine dated Oct 2010. Hope it helps you.

Rear Lower Arm Rubber Bush: 2 x OE Indian >> 450/- each
(entire) Rear Lower Arm: 2 x OE Indian >> 1200/- each
Rear Lower Link: 2 x OE Indian >> 840/- each
Rear Upper Link: 2 x OE Indian >> 1200/- each

>> The rear stabilizer bar has 4 rubber bushes and costs 1500/- (set of 4)
>> No rubber parts on Rear upper and lower link.
>> Rubber bushes on Front Lower Arm cannot be replaced separately, you have to replace the entire arm. (that's 3800/- each)
>> Rubber bushes on Rear Lower Arm can be replaced separately, requires lathe work to remove the old bushes. If both bushes are bad then they recommend replacing the entire lower arm because it costs only 1200/-

Note: Above prices were quoted by A.S.S (without labor) in Oct 2010
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote